Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 10 MOTUC figures during the Mattel era

Top 10 MOTUC figures during the Mattel era

I saw a post from back in 2012 with a personal "best of" list up till 2012. This got me thinking that I have not seen a (top 10, favorites list, etc.) post for the entire line. Since it is hours away from the end of an era, I thought I would reflect on the (Mattel) MOTUC collection and give my personal TOP 10 favorites from the line. I would like to see what others have listed in their top 10's. Everything is fair game (figures, vehicles, beasts). So here are my top 10!...

10) PRAHVUS
    9) SDCC HORDAK
    8) SCAREGLOW
    7) SHADOW BEAST
    6) HOVER ROBOTS
    5) PLUNDOR
    4) GRANAMYR
    3) KELDOR
    2) STINKOR
    1) FANG MAN

Yes I said it folks.... FANG MAN! Dating back to the very first episode of the classic cartoon, he stood out to me as very first Villain I remember. And although he only had a couple of rolls in the cartoon, I think his arrival to the lineup was LONG overdue. On a side note, I did not include Club Grayskull figures as 3-4 of those would have probably made the list.

My Top Ten aren't necessarily my favorite characters in the mythos per se, but rather the action figures Mattel produced that I find to be pretty flawlessly executed:

(in no particular order)

Shokoti
    Ditztroyer
    Wun-Dar
    Evil-Lyn
    Tri-Klops
    Zodac
    Prahvus
    Anti-Eternia He-Man
    Skelcon
    Shield Maiden Sherllyn
    Next Ten Most Wanted: Classic Toy Costume Catra, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Granita, Bould-Or, Lady Slither, Bubblor, Major Header, Queen Elmora (She-Demon Of Phantos)

Heroic Warrior
    1. Mer-Man (MOTUC VS. DC)
    2. Palace Guard
    3. Ninjor (Ninja Warrior)
    4. Rattlor
    5. Skeletor
    6. Evil-Lyn
    7. King Grayskull (w/Orb)
    8. Whiplash
    9. Trap Jaw
    10. Webstor
    MASS REJECTION
    www.facebook.com/massrejection

Wanted in Collector's Choice:

Lodar, Masks of Power Demons (2-pack), Prince Dakon, Attack Trak, NA Vintage line completed.

Heroic Warrior
    As it turns out, the absolute high points of this line (for me) were mostly figures of characters that never had a figure before:

10. King Hsss (Vintage-style Original)
    9. Madame Razz
    8. Strobo
    7. Queen Grayskull
    6. StrongArm
    5. Modulok
    4. Lizard Man
    3. Demo-Man
    2. Prahvus
    1. Was there ever any doubt? HE-RO!!

Heroic Warrior
    My top 10 in no order:

Vikor
    Fisto
    King Grayskull (re-release)
    Demo Man
    Webstor
    He-Man
    Skeletor
    Zodac
    Tri-Klops
    Scare Glow

Heroic master of drums DrumMaster's Avatar
    Difficult to order :

Clawful
    Fisto
    Jitsu
    Sssqueeze
    Evilseed
    Buzz off
    Scareglow
    Trap jaw
    Man at arms
    Draego man

Heroic Warrior
    I don't have a straight up traditional top 10 list of figures.

That is because I only have three:
    Optikk, Thunderpunch He-man & Bow.

Thunderpunch quickly grew on me and Optikk and Bow are million times better than the vintage ones.

So to fill out my list I include figures/characters that add to the lore/mythos that is Masters of the universe.

Wundar--that character and it's lore finally made it into mainstream(?) figure form.

The Unnamed One--At the last minute Gorpo became Orko. A nice bit of F.Y.I. But it doesn't end there. Instead of the going to the wayside. It's (re)used as the real name of the grand puppet master. I think getting use out of the Gorpo name is cleaver.

The fighting foe men--Just like the Gorpo name a name tossed to the wayside only to be used again. Still a good and cleaver idea.

The fearless photog--same as wundar.

The Mighty Spector--Brings in the overlooked idea of time travel. Now come on!!!! Do you actually think we saw the last of time travel??!?!?!? I don't.

The create a character part 2:Same as photog and wunder. I know that doesn't count as A figure. Sue me.

Eldor--sames as photog and wundar

Hard to rank a top 10 but at this moment, these are my favorites that stand out for me. Really love this line and as I see my collection, I am glad to have all these different characters from across Motu lore that have been made. Looking forward to Super7 taking over and continue that trend.

10) Whiplash
    9) Teela
    8) Ram Man
    7) Optikk
    6) Horde Prime
    5) Shadow Weaver
    4) Castaspella
    3) Hordak
    2) Scorpia
    1) Trap Jaw

Honorable mentions: Adora, Modulok, Granamyr, Tuskador, Mer-man
    Last edited by Count Judas; January 2, 2017 at 02:45am.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!!NO KAYO? NOT OKAY-O! Vote in this HatMOTU poll for Filmation characters not found in the "official" fan poll: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...20#post3607720

Heroic Warrior
    Multi-bot
    Hover Robots
    Mara
    Flutterina
    Eldor
    Gwildor
    Horde Troopers
    Mantenna
    Granamyr
    Trap Jaw
    Mekaneck

Honorable mention:
    DraegoMan
    Rattlor
    Ram Man
    Kobra Khan
    Shadow Weaver
    Man-E-Faces
    Orko/Prince Adam
    Moss Man
    Grizzlor
    Whiplash

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

It's hard to separate the figures themselves from one's own favorite characters. Trying to think about what figures would most impress a disinterested person with no knowledge of MOTU (no particular order). But I think my list is still biased.

Mer-Man
    Mantenna
    Ram Man
    Battle Cat
    Kobra Khan
    Skeletor (original release open hand, nice paint apps)
    Buzz-Off
    Draego Man
    Vikor
    Teela

Prahvus
    Ceratus
    Hover bots
    Horde Troopers
    Scareglow
    Count Marzo
    Shadow Weaver
    Granamyr
    Fisto
    Kobra Khan
    MYP SKELETOR , Kay-la, ABC GIANTS, MYP Evil-lyn, MYP Sorceress, MYP Captain Miro, Queen Andreeno ,MYP King Randor, MYP or Dc Tri-Klops, MYP Squeeeze, General Rattlor, MYP Roboto

Widget
    Mine would have to be:

10) Queen Marlena
    9) Ram-Man
    8) Horde Wraith
    7) 200X Evil Seed
    6) Anti-Eternia He-Man (knew nothing of his history yet still an instant need)
    5) Shadow Weaver
    4) Count Marzo
    3) 200X King Hsss w/Snake-Form (sorta cheating, since it take 2 figs to get him here)
    2) Draegoman
    1) Granamyr

A lot of other candidates needed too much help (head swaps and additional accessories) to make them how I wanted them.

In no particular order:

Webstor
    Saurod
    Fang-man
    Trap-Jaw
    Scareglow
    Goddess
    Moss-man
    Hordak
    Modulok
    Catra
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Quote Originally Posted by Turk81 View Post
    9) SDCC HORDAK
    Umm, are you kidding? That's widely considered to be one of the biggest failures of the line.

Vikor
    Moss Man (really love this figure with the Not Beastman head)
    Fisto (never liked the vintage figure but the Classics is so lovely he's now in my top 3 favorite characters)
    Merman (the comic/promo art head makes this the Merman that I always wanted)
    Man At Arms (fantastic execution from sculpt to paint)
    Goddess (fragile plastic not withstanding I have always wanted a Goddess figure)
    Teela (gorgeous figure and paint apps)
    Adora (gorgeous figure)
    Gygor (can't stop admiring at him)
    Grizzlor (Matty/4H hit for the cycle here)

If I had more room; Webstor, Procrustus, Octavia, Ram Man, Two Bad, Tung Lashor, Mermista, Hover Robots, Calix, Ceratus, Veena, Lord Masque, Vultak are all very nice looking figures.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Umm, are you kidding? That's widely considered to be one of the biggest failures of the line.
    He is one person, but my friend loves it and considers it his central Hordak.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

* Castle Grayskull
    * Battle Ram
    * Wind Raider
    * Faker
    * Zodac
    * Modulok
    * Blade
    * Stinkor
    * Sorceress
    * Two-Bad

Totally Dyslexic
    Hm... good question. Let me see, in no particular order:

• Queen Grayskull great looking figure, great articulation.
    • Mara waited so many years for her figure and this one is great. Face is to hard and articulation is a little limited tough.
    • Mantenna what a beast and he looks great.
    • Mermista sparkly and an action figure mermaid. īNuff said.
    • Kobra Khan looks great and the second head with the spread open cobra snake feature makes him so impressive!
    • Adora she made me collect this line.
    • Teela iīm cheating with her. Iīm displaying her with the Battleground blonde head since this version is my ultimate Teela
    • Lizard-Man loved him as a child, loving his figure even more.
    • Icer almost transparent and simply amazing. Didnīt know i wanted him glad i got him.
    • Battleground Evil Lyn is simply an amazing looking figure. We should have gotten a 200X version but since we didnīt this is a stunning looking compromise.
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Hawke *Pebb-Liss(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    IDK??? Something about him. I know he's not a popular pic by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe I am a little biased because he was the first figure my wife actually purchased for me on her own.

I had more fun with this than I though I would.

1. Trap-Jaw/Kronos: I believe this was the first of the transformative figures (a feature woefully underused in this line) I love that he can transform into his prior incarnation, that with his interchangeable arm attachments, articulated Jaw, and overall color scheme give him my top spot!

2. Teela: what can I say, she has always been my favorite character, from her vintage figure to the Filmation cartoon, I was a fan from the beginning. This figure nails what I have always loved about her; her strong femininity! Throw in two heads, all her accessories, and Zore and you have (almost) the best MOTU Classics figure.

3. Ram-Man: The 4H nailed him! I love the girth of this figure and think, contrary to other's opinions, that he is proportioned perfectly for this line. Plus, we finally have a Ram-Man with full articulation, and he's amazing!

4. Queen Marlena/Captain Glenn: This was the perfect execution of this character! Giving us the ability to transform her from Captain to Queen was brilliant! It took the transformation offered in figures like Trap-Jaw and stepped it up a notch! This opened the door for what could have been an awesome feature in future female figures...unfortunately they closed the door as soon as they opened it...

5. Modulok: As you can see, I love figures with multiple display options, so of course Modulok made my list! He is probably the figure I have "played" with the most since I got him. My only gripe with him is that he doesn't separate at the waist and he didn't come with enough parts to make his Filmation look. But those were not enough to keep him off my list.

6. Mermista: She is just a beautiful figure! I mean, who doesn't love a great mermaid figure! I love the tail sculpt and the way her hair looks like its under water. I do wish they had made her a deluxe figure and included a cool base she could sit on, but they really did cram a lot into her packaging and the value certainly was there. She was top of my want list for a long time and the 4H did not disappoint!

7. Draego-Man: What's most shocking about this figure is that he is a new character and made my top ten! Although I enjoyed getting new characters (yes, I'm one of the three people that actually likes Spector) I think they could have done something better for the 30 Anniversary line, like producing the unproduced '88 wave. But, now that I have Draego-Man I can't imagine my collection without him. He is perfectly sculpted and executed! He is such a cool figure!!!

8. She-Ra: She was the first figure I got, and it was by accident. A friend overseas asked me to pick her up for her and the one I got came with the mask off the head...my friend wanted it MIB so I contacted DR and got a replacement. (This was before we had to send defective figures back). I got her a new one and I kept the "defect". It was the start of an amazing collection and she remains one of my favorite figures. (Incidentally this is the exact way I got Swift Wind too!)

9. Mantenna: Another figure that they nailed! I always loved the Horde as a kid, they became my favorite faction, but Mantenna always seemed odd to me as a figure...was he supposed to have 4 legs like in the cartoon or did he have two very alien looking legs? I always figured it was 4 with lazy sculpting and construction so it was great to finally see how he was realized for Classics; just as I hoped he would be. It would have been nice if they could have figured out a way to give him his vintage action feature, but I wouldn't want to lose the neck articulation for it...so what we got is probably the beast option. It just sucked when I dropped one of his eyes down the sink...thank goodness for the U-bend and You-Tube instructional videos!

10. Fisto: Another great example of what can be done in this line. I love it when they include details from 200X to enhance figures and they did it perfectly with Fisto! The major thing they could have done throughout this line to make it even better than it is, would have been to incorporate 200X transformative elements with every relevant figure! That and interchangeable hands, but that's a what if for another day...

Honorable Mentions:
    Despara: The single best contributions from the new comic series period! (Do I need to include IMO when all this is clearly my opinion)? She is an amazing contradiction to the Horde-brain-washed Adora from Filmation and they executed the figure perfectly...well, almost...if only she could hold her swords, but some dreams apparently are too big for reality.

Queen Grayskull: She would have made my top ten if it weren't for her unarticulated wings and that shawl. That thing was so poorly executed it's cringeworthy. I use a clear rubber band to hold it in place but I have to think they could have come up with a better way to make this work. I usually don't like fabric on my figures but in this case it might have been a better solution. I know I can remove it but it is essential to her look for me so I deal. Her wings also should be able to fold up like they do in the cartoon, either that or a second folded pair should have been included....that all being said, she is still a stunning figure!

The Unnamed One: I know he is hated by a lot of people, I mean, how can they give form to a character that has been shrouded in mystery for more than 2 decades and not disappoint a few fans? But I gotta say, I love what they did with him! The idea that such a powerful being is a small ancient Trollian was a brilliant move (again, do I need to insert an IMO here?) The only thing they could have done that would make him cooler to me is to have given him a tattered cloak that drapes to the ground and supports him rather than his stand...did I paint that mental picture well enough? Trust me, it's really cool looking in my head!

Lizard Man: Really I could name any Filmation figure here but Lizard Man is the main one I always wanted as a kid! Gettting him in the line was a dream come true. The only other way to make this line more nestalgic was for them to include the Filmation characters we all wanted as a kid...and they did!!!

Lord Dactus and King Chooblah: I lump them together because they both illustrate the awesomeness of what the 4H can do with that standard buck! A few imaginative new pieces and we have these crazy cool characters that look like they are from another line...but also fit in perfectly with our Classics! It's an amazing contradiction that shows how diverse and awesome this line is!

Granamyr: Do I need to say anything here! This figure is AWESOME! He is huge and amazing and the fact that we have him at all trumps everything...EVER! Oh, did I mention he comes in both red and green flavors?
    Last edited by Jinxieman; January 2, 2017 at 01:04am.

My Favorite 10
    Scareglow
    Strongarm
    Night Stalker
    Jitsu
    Gygor
    Light Hope
    Tri Klops
    Ninjor
    Trap Jaw
    Spinerella

And for fun my least favorite 10 (ones I have no desire of owning)
    Standor
    Lizard Man
    Dentist/Skeletor 2pack
    Carnivus
    Nepthu
    Count Marzo
    Goat Man
    Sir Laser Lot
    Spector
    Unamed One
    Last edited by Safety First; January 2, 2017 at 01:09am.

In no order...

Zodak
    New Adventures He-Man
    Queen Grayskull
    Battle Cat
    Wun-Dar
    Ram Man
    King Hssss (200x)
    Mer-Man
    Fisto
    Anti-Eterni He-Man
    Visit me and be my friend...I like friends...LOL

http://www.facebook.com/MisterDeeJay2KX

My top 10 figures are based on the amount of detail, and added extras that differentiate the figure from an exact replica of the original figure.

No particular order:

Teela
    Trap-Jaw
    Tri-Klops
    Scareglow
    Hordak
    Fisto
    Flutterina
    200x King Hiss
    Ram Man
    King He-Man
    Keep The "Classicized" 200x Heads in MOTUC!

No Thundercats Sub For Me Due To The 200x King Hsss Torso fiasco!

My top 10

1. Draego-man - my first and absolute favorite!

The rest in no particular order:

2. Plundor - He is the greatest villain ever and my favorite Filmation figure

3. Tri-Klops - if all the figures were this awesome there would have never been a complaint

4. Despera - best exclusive ever and amazingly executed

5. Scareglow - How can you not love this figure!

6. Spirit of KG - holy skeezy is that the coolest GITD figure ever!

7. Shokoti - her Egyptian vampire vibe had me at hello and I love the darkling

8. Granamyr - I only have the green one but this guy is massive and all sorts of amazing. Someday when I win the lottery I may buy a red one but I LOVE the one I have!

9. Veena - She was flawless and I loved everything about her.

10. Shadow Weaver - the figure I wanted most as a child next to Imp. I was so grateful to aquire her in early 2012 from an awesome orger for close to cost. She is my favorite Horde figure!

Heroic Warrior
    Filmation clawful
    Scorpia
    Motuc Evil-Lyn
    Filmation trapjaw
    Motuc moss man
    Motuc two bad
    Madame razz
    Motuc jitsu
    Adora
    Spinnerella

please release accurate Filmation of-- tri klops, merman, fisto, roboto, kobra khan, hordak, grizzlor, mantenna. Leech, entrapta, teela, spikor, buzz off, whiplash, webstor, prince adam, rattlor, tung lashor, mekaneck, man at arms, sorceress, jitsu, ram man, man e faces, frosta, bow and perfuma.