Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Mattel in 'trouble'?

Master of New Adventures!

Is Mattel in 'trouble'?

Unquestionably one or the silliest questions or assertions ever.

I know the thread in which it was originally made is locked, but I feel compelled to respond because the aspersions about Mattel being in trouble are just so ridiculous that I think the record should be set straight. Truth is, knowing what I do about Mattel, I was amused by Skystalker's comment that Mattel's stockholders are disappointed because of earnings.

The fact is that during the most recent 52-week period Mattel's stock soared from a low of $19.54 a share to its present level of $32.96.

I would submit that any stock nearly doubles in value in a one year period has its investors dancing in the street...as Mattel's no doubt are, demonstrated by the stock's continuing meteoric rise over a period of a year. While it's true earning have been off for the last two quarters, knowledgable investors don't run to their brokers to sell after they've doubled their money in a year. That's proven by the fact that even with a few lower-than-expected quarters, Mattel's stock is, today, only down a paltry $1.80 a share off its 52-week high. Savvy investors are in for the long haul, especially when they double their money in a year. Last time I checked, CD's don't pay quite that much.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; July 17, 2016 at 09:56pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post

I know the thread in which it was originally made is locked, but I feel compelled to respond because the aspersions about Mattel being in trouble are just so ridiculous that I think the record should be set straight. Truth is, knowing what I do about Mattel, I was amused by Skystalker's comment that Mattel's stockholders are disappointed because of earnings.

The fact is that during the most recent 52-week period Mattel's stock soared from a low of $19.54 a share to its present level of $32.96.

I would submit that any stock nearly doubles in value in a one year period has its investors dancing in the street...as Mattel's no doubt are, demonstrated by the stock's continuing meteoric rise over a period of a year. While it's true earning have been off for the last two quarters, knowledgable investors don't run to their brokers to sell after they've doubled their money in a year. That's proven by the fact that even with a few lower-than-expected quarters, Mattel's stock is, today, only down a paltry $1.80 a share off its 52-week high. Savvy investors are in for the long haul, especially when they double their money in a year. Last time I checked, CD's don't pay quite that much.
    Thanks for this. This makes me feel a bit more hopeful that we will see something in 2017. This is the kind of intelligent conversation that I was looking for when I joined the forums, and a perfect example of why threads should not be closed. Eventually someone may actually have something constructive to say and had you not opened a new thread, we would have missed out on this information.
    "I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    So this means they're in good enough shape to finish all the New Adentures characters in MOTUC?

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    So this means they're in good enough shape to finish all the New Adentures characters in MOTUC?
    Lets hope so! We have come this far. It would be a crime to not get a Disks of Doom Skeletor. He was one of my favorite Skeletor's by far!
    "I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

Your words touch me, Frazz. Thank you for making my evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazz203 View Post
    Thanks for this. This makes me feel a bit more hopeful that we will see something in 2017. This is the kind of intelligent conversation that I was looking for when I joined the forums, and a perfect example of why threads should not be closed. Eventually someone may actually have something constructive to say and had you not opened a new thread, we would have missed out on this information.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    From your lips to the Good Lord's ears.

Thanks for this information. It does put things in perspective.
    ALAS, POOR CLASSICS....

Top want list: Mask of Power Demons, Snake Goddess Teela, GITD Goddess, Snake Mountain Man, Dree-Elle & Montork, 200X Beast-Man, Red Beast, Ra-Jar, Great Black Wizard, Dragoon, King Torius, 200x Centaur Chief, Queen Andreeno.

2 Collectors' Choice. 2 2.0s 3 Thundercats
    ME WANT MORE MYTHIC LEGIONS!

WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM

Thanks for your thanks, No-Ah. Very gracious and appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    Thanks for this information. It does put things in perspective.

Advocating for a New Adventures Mini-Sub!
    "Is Mattel in 'trouble'?"

Of course they are!

But it's nothing that can't be fixed with the addition of more New Adventures characters into their existing MOTUC line!
    Masters of the Universe and ThunderCats - together for the first time! Pure AWESOME!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Mattel as a company is currently in the middle of a major shift in identity. Brands are being re-assessed, goals are being re-assessed, and the company is trying to find a way to reinvent itself in today's landscape, where toys don't necessarily sell the way they used to.

MOTUC was just a tiny sliver in that whole framework. I imagine once the dust settles within the organization proper, all the niche brands will have some clarity on how to proceed. I think a lot of stuff is on hold, or in transition until things stabilize.

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar

Stock prices are not always an indicator of company health---stock prices are a bet on the future value of a company. In Q1 Mattel engaged in some major cost-cutting efforts to shrink expenses and improe EIBTDA. Revenue was off 6%, gross margin was off 3 points. Their COH was down---it was not great news for Mattel, but the uptick in cost savings was good news for investors. Q2 will be released 7-20. Q1 is here. Mattel isn't going bankrupt, but they are trending downward--enough so, that if they wanted to cut dead weight to improve EIBTDA, the collector lines and operation of Matty could be in scope.

http://files.shareholder.com/downloa...eck_vFINAL.pdf
    Rambo was a documentary filmed in real time.

LOL.

...or Season 2 of the animated NA series with He-man, Flipshot, Hydron, Sagitar, Skeletor, Flogg, Slushhead and Crita -- along with a few random Gleanons and Mites -- returning to Eternia to find the former triumvirate of She-ra, The Sorceress and Teela, ruling in He-man's absence, deposed by a reluctant Man-at-Arms who struggles in a battle of attrition to save Eternia from The Evil Horde, which has captured and imprisoned He-man's mother and father in Snake Mountain.

Are you listening, Mattel?

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post

Of course they are!

But it's nothing that can't be fixed with the addition of more New Adventures characters into their existing MOTUC line!
    - - - Updated - - -

Points well taken. But, as you correctly say, stock prices reflect investors betting on the future and a lot of investors apparently have faith in Mattel. Stock prices aside, I'll take $5.7 Billion in annual revenues any day of the week. Say anything you want about profit-to-revenue factors, but that's still an awful lot of jing to work with.

I'd also respectfully suggest that, in the vast expanse of things, cutting MOTUC is a mustard seed. And if I sound like I'm biased in favor of MOTUC, what can I say? I love my fellow orgers and while I'm not a collector it pains me to see them distressed. Loyalty is a hard thing to come by in today's world and it's my considered opinion that Mattel is fortunate to have this loyal fan base, no matter its size.

Quote Originally Posted by melmoth666 View Post
    Stock prices are not always an indicator of company health---stock prices are a bet on the future value of a company. In Q1 Mattel engaged in some major cost-cutting efforts to shrink expenses and improe EIBTDA. Revenue was off 6%, gross margin was off 3 points. Their COH was down---it was not great news for Mattel, but the uptick in cost savings was good news for investors. Q2 will be released 7-20. Q1 is here. Mattel isn't going bankrupt, but they are trending downward--enough so, that if they wanted to cut dead weight to improve EIBTDA, the collector lines and operation of Matty could be in scope.

http://files.shareholder.com/downloa...eck_vFINAL.pdf
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; July 18, 2016 at 04:19am.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post

Of course they are!

Stand in line, Joe Amato gets his Meteorbs first
    Looking forward to a very bright 2016 with MOTUC Collectors Choice, He-Man and the Masters Of the Universe animated Filmation line, Thundercats & SNAKE MOUNTAIN

I think it all depends on how reactionary the current leadership is. Stock process seem solid, but there's no telling how additional lower-than-expected profit margins could hurt that (which is part of why the whole stock market bothers me-"I think this is bad"=/="Actually bad").

My gut says they aren't, but I'm not a demanding stockholder.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Yeah, Mattel isn't going anywhere and will be fine...with the right kind of leadership and foresight. The ability to adapt and change quicker is really needed. It seems Hasbro is much quicker to react to current toy trends than slow glacial pace that Mattel tries to adapt. This is probley one of the biggest areas that Mattel needs to improve.

Also, as my investment advisor keeps telling me...diversify...mitigate yourself to against risk. Mattel places a lot of their eggs on several baskets...Barbie, Hot Wheels, DC, Mega Bloks & Monster High. If they expanded their collector market brands and smaller brands (ie Thundercats, MOTU, Silver Hawks etc) then they could have several smaller lines that help the bottom line. Yes, the returns may be lower, but anything that adds to the bottom line should not be frowned upon.

I find the idea that Matty "takes resources away from other lines" to be a little ludicrous. Mattel has billions of investment dollars every year, and to siphon off a few hundred thousand to a million would not even be noticed by other brands. All the above mentioned lines get everything they need and I am sure there is a few dollars left in the Mattel coffers that is going unused. If the smaller lines net 10-15% profit that is much better than any potential interest that money might earn sitting untouched.

Heroic Warrior
    Toyguru makes it sound like it's been a constant fight over the last 8 years to keep the line alive depending on who is in charge and their moods and other priorties; stock price aside.

I do not believe anything that Toyguru says, NOTHING

Quote Originally Posted by he-manīs crotch View Post
    I do not believe anything that Toyguru says, NOTHING
    Really? And why is that? Have I EVER said something to mislead you? (and noting having to explain changes to product during the toy making process is not an example in the least. I don't control design after all, I just often had to communicate the change, but had nothing to do with the reason for the change)

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    Really? And why is that? Have I EVER said something to mislead you? (and noting having to explain changes to product during the toy making process is not an example in the least. I don't control design after all, I just often had to communicate the change, but had nothing to do with the reason for the change)
    Scott, you are talking to a crotch. Albeit He-Man's crotch, but a crotch non the less.

Heroic Warrior
    Why is it a given in this thread (and everywhere else on these boards) that "Mattel's well-being" and "MOTUC's well-being" have any thing to do with each other, other than Mattel being the manufacturer?

I'm not really even looking for an answer that makes much sense for anyone around here, as, if things have gone on this long like this, the overall lack of reality and understanding of Mattel and MOTUC in this forum ain't gonna be solved in this thread.

It's just that it blows my mind that this goes on routinely and I felt SOMEone had to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon766 View Post
    Scott, you are talking to a crotch. Albeit He-Man's crotch, but a crotch non the less.
    Poignant and amusing - you are an artist my friend.

Nature's Greatest Wonder Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    scott, you are talking to a crotch. Albeit he-man's crotch, but a crotch non the less.
    lmao!!!!!!!!!

In the name of the Lloyd!

More like trying to seek attention. Someone like that is best ignored
    Last edited by blackiecats; July 18, 2016 at 07:12pm. Reason: to be politically correct
    At this point I just HOPE for Dylamug and Hunga the Harpy!

Heroic Warrior
    Yes, very well said, Darkmoon.

Elder Councilman
    christ.....after a day that's been both very good and very bad at the same time, I really needed that; priceless.
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

Yeah don't pay attention to him.

He's just being a ****.