I wasn't going to bother with this news... but seeing as so many people are having problems, here goes.
After I had trouble this month with my subscription - my card suddenly failed, despite that same card working fine for a second order placed on the day, and also working fine LAST month for the sub order - I called Digital River. Like you do.
Anyway, I got a real idiot on the phone, who didn't have a clue what was going on. And he/she (I couldn't tell which gender) told me that they had no idea what was wrong, and that I would have to place a new order on the web site. When I explained over and over that it was impossible, because subs were no longer available for sale, I was told that it was right there on the site (meaning the Teela figure alone). This agent could not grasp the concept of the subscription, in any way, shape or form. Eventually, they told me that I would have to call Mattel directly - because DR (and I quote) "can not make any changes to any accounts or any orders".
Knowing that this was complete rubbish, I called Mattel anyway, and told their customer service just what was going on. The woman there made a note of it, and said that they had received numerous complaints that day about Digital River's handling of their orders. And here is why:
Last month, Mattel were still dealing with the system for orders. Digital River were handling the web site and distribution, but Mattel could make changes and were sending all the orders through to DR. This is why the process last month was okay.
However, about 2 weeks ago, they transferred EVERYTHING to Digital River. Meaning that Mattel reps can no longer do anything at all with regards to mattycollector.com. And this transfer of responsibility is why it is all screwed up this month. 1) account information was transferred inaccurately, and 2) Digital River haven't got a clue what they are doing.
I eventually got it sorted by calling DR again and asking for a supervisor. Now, this agent said that she could do anything that a supervisor could... so when I explained the issue, she actually managed to find out the issue - for some reason, my credit card number had been changed to a non-existent number! After a while, she managed to fix it and update my card.
Although even then she couldn't stop me from being charged this mysterious $4.49 tax. She did say she could refund it... so we'll have to see what happens.
But when DR reps are telling customers that they can't make any changes, while Mattel are saying that they are the only ones who can... well, you know there's a big problem! Although DR don't seem to be aware of this...
I just barely got my own confirmation from my second order, and that is being sent via UPS! I haven't yet heard anything about the subscription order... but as that one was only fixed afterwards, I suspect I'll be waiting in line. So it's just really, really bad this month, folks.