Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: RockinHard's Top 101 MOTUC Vintage-Era Review/Pictorial Countdown!

Hover Robots in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar

RockinHard's Top 101 MOTUC Vintage-Era Review/Pictorial Countdown!

This (new and improved!) thread is dedicated to my favorite MOTUC items that come directly from the vintage 80's-Era, counting down from least favorite to favorite. This includes any item from mini-comics/comics/magazines/books, poster/vintage art, vintage toy line, and FILMation. Why "vintage era” only? Because it is my favorite and what is most important to me, but also because it serves as a tribute to where mine and many others' love of MOTU originated. Any item or character from the vintage era is game, which could be anyone or anything from Tytus to Sky Sled to Frosta to to Battle-Armor Skeletor. For each, there will be a short review with my thoughts along with pictures. Concepts/Drawings that no one (or very few) ever heard of before a few years ago will not be in the countdown (Vikor, Demo-Man, Vykron, Wun-Dar, and Gygor), neither will New Adventures be included.

PLEASE READ: This is just another way to enjoy and spread my love of MOTUC with the fandom here at the .org. Feel free to comment and discuss my pictures and rankings, but please keep it positive and constructive. There is no agenda and no need to be rude based on my own personal likes and tastes. No individual here is going to have the same rankings and/or tastes, so let's keep that in mind and not be insulting or condescending because your #45, #21, and #4 are different than mine and most likely everyone else's. If this thread is not for you, just bypass/ignore it. After all, the sun will rise tomorrow, giving birth to a new day. So, let's keep it in good fun and spirits.

I photographed ALL of these photos. Please have the courtesy to ask before spreading them elsewhere. They are simply for your observation/enjoyment.

Let the countdown begin!

Results and page number for pictures/review will be kept here:

Page 1:
    Honorable Mention: Star Sisters
    #101 - Cringer
    #100 - Dragon-Blaster Skeletor
    #99 - Zoar/Screech/Glory Bird

Page 2:
    #98 - The Goddess
    #97 - Thunder-Punch He-Man
    #96 - Hurricane Hordak
    #95 - Strobo
    #94 - Comics/Mini-Comics Teela ("Battleground Teela")
    #93 - Battle-Armor He-Man
    #92 - Battle-Armor Skeletor

Page 3:
    #91 - Preternia-Disguised He-Man
    #90 - Kowl and Loo-Kee
    #89 - Swiftwind
    #88 - Stonedar
    #87 - Rokkon
    #86 - Shield-Maiden Sherilyn
    #85 - Ditzstroyer
    #84 - Nepthu
    #83 - Jitsu

Page 4:
    #82 - Prince Adam
    #81 - Sky Sled
    #80 - Tytus
    #79 - Strong-Arm
    #78 - Panthor
    #77 - Leech
    #76 - Dawg-O-Tor
    #75 - Queen Marlena

Page 5:
    #74 - Palace Guards
    #73 - Clawful
    #72 - Frosta
    #71 - Filmation King Randor
    #70 - Sorceress/Temple of Darkness Sorceress
    #69 - Glimmer
    #68 - Sea Hawk
    #67 - Megator
    #66 - She-Ra

Page 6:
    #65 - Snout Spout
    #64 - He-Man
    #63 - Stratos
    #62 - Webstor
    #61 - Clamp Champ
    #60 - Horde Troopers
    #59 - He-Ro
    #58 - Geldor

Page 7:
    #57 - Hordak
    #56 - Shakoti
    #55 - Orko
    #54 - Plundor
    #53 - Procrustus
    #52 - Sky High
    #51 - Mosquitor
    #50 - Netossa
    #49 - Octavia

Page 8:
    #48 - King Hiss
    #47 - Man-E-Faces
    #46 - Stinkor
    #45 - Adora
    #44 - Zodac
    #43 - Moss Man
    #42 - Batros

Page 9:
    #41 - Two-Bad
    #40 - Snake Face
    #39 - Goat Man
    #38 - Shadow Weaver

Page 10:
    #37 - King Randor
    Bonus - Extendar
    #36 - Shadowbeast
    #35 - Mekaneck
    #34 - Spikor

Page 11:
    #33 - Roboto
    #32 - Grizzlor
    #31 - Kobra Khan
    #30 - Evil-Lyn
    #29 - Bow
    #28 - Buzz-Off
    #27 - Castaspella
    #26 - Ram Man
    #25 - Horde Prime

Page 12:
    #24 - Blade
    #23 - Scorpia
    #22 - Icer
    #21 - Fang Man
    #20 - Sy-Klone
    #19 - Tri-Klops
    #18 - Skeletor
    #17 - Scareglow
    #16 - Granamyr
    #15 - Trap-Jaw
    #14 - Fisto
    #13 - Teela
    #12 - Modulok
    #11 - Faker
    #10 - Rattlor
    Last edited by RockinHard; July 20, 2014 at 11:15am.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Skeletor's Robot Knights 2) Stridor 3) Night Stalker 4) Tung Lashor 5) Squeeeze 6) Lizard Man 7) Battle Ram (back-half!) 8) Roton 9) Multi-Bot 10) Ninjor 11) Dragstor 12) Saurod 13) Blast-Attak 14) Karg 15) Gwildor 16) Lodar 17) Mask of Power Demons

Wooooohooooo! Can't wait. I predict Merman wins it all

Awesome. Do you plan on doing any vintage comparisons? I would personally like to see that, even if you don't have the vintage items, and simply use a pic of them.

Some group shots would be cool too. Say for instance if you include NA with your idea of vintage (which I hope you do) then you could have at least one or two shots of the figure being reviewed posed with his counterparts.

Glad to see you're back at it!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholighkun View Post
    Awesome. Do you plan on doing any vintage comparisons? I would personally like to see that, even if you don't have the vintage items, and simply use a pic of them.

Some group shots would be cool too. Say for instance if you include NA with your idea of vintage (which I hope you do) then you could have at least one or two shots of the figure being reviewed posed with his counterparts.

Glad to see you're back at it!
    Huh? It clearly states in the opening post NA will not be included. And while it may be older, I think many consider it separate from "vintage".

Before we start the actual countdown . . .

Honorable Mention - The Star Sisters

One of the aspects I love most about MOTUC, is that the sculpts and aesthetics of these figures/items are done so well that they would rarely require any customization. And doubtlessly, the sculpts on these three are great, though the design/engineering team seemed to make a notable mistake when it came to the crotches on these three, particularly Tallstar and Jewelstar. They have those infamous “granny panties.” Yet, what is more upsetting than that in regards to these three are the colors chosen. All three of these should have gone the route of more vintage toy-esque colors - and I say that as someone who wants ALL the PoP characters to be mostly FILMation-based. A deeper sparkly red would have been much more aesthetically pleasing and imposing than the bubble-gum pink chosen for Jewelstar. Tallstar’s silver and lavender/purple would have likewise been a more prudent, striking choice. However, in the end, this poster/magazine-inspired trio just screams more “girly-girl” than “MOTU” or even “FILMation” to me. Hence, these three are on my bucket list to have a set customized/repainted by one who can do so in a professional way and retain articulation.

Jewelstar

Star Sisters - Jewelstar photo Jewelstar4_zpse145a1de.jpg

Star Sisters - Jewelstar photo Jewelstar8_zpsd0b38811.jpg

Star Sisters - Jewelstar photo Jewelstar_zps73b740cf.jpg

Star Sisters - Jewelstar photo Jewelstar7_zpsbc36b155.jpg

Starla

Star Sisters - Starla photo Starla2_zpsb74d1956.jpg

Star Sisters - Starla photo Starla_zps8e7359d4.jpg

Star Sisters - Starla photo Starla3_zpsab2371b6.jpg

Star Sisters - Starla photo Starla5_zps8de0b968.jpg

Tallstar

Star Sisters - Tallstar photo Tallstar3_zps0ce4fdd6.jpg

Star Sisters - Tallstar photo Tallstar4_zps4900a0dc.jpg

Star Sisters - Tallstar photo Tallstar2_zpsd4308576.jpg

Star Sisters - Tallstar photo Tallstar6_zpsad10809b.jpg

The Star Sisters

Star Sisters photo StarSisters3_zps40a0ff8f.jpg

Star Sisters photo StarSisters_zpsfc417397.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    Huh? It clearly states in the opening post NA will not be included. And while it may be older, I think many consider it separate from "vintage".
    Correct - NA will not be part of it and aren't exactly "80's Vintage," at least not to me, as indicated in the first post.
    Last edited by RockinHard; May 27, 2014 at 12:27am.

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Skeletor's Robot Knights 2) Stridor 3) Night Stalker 4) Tung Lashor 5) Squeeeze 6) Lizard Man 7) Battle Ram (back-half!) 8) Roton 9) Multi-Bot 10) Ninjor 11) Dragstor 12) Saurod 13) Blast-Attak 14) Karg 15) Gwildor 16) Lodar 17) Mask of Power Demons

Hope it works better 2nd time around.

#101 - Cringer

I was beyond elated to finally get a Cringer figure in Classics. Though the sculpt is great, it isn't exactly the version of Cringer I, and most others, wanted. It's more like a "younger" Cringer. Not sure why Mattel went this direction other than for costing reasons. It also doesn't help that the “figure” is not (or barely) articulated, making it more like a sculpted block of plastic rather than an actual action figure. Still, a well-sculpted Cringer is better than no Cringer and it looks great next to Prince Adam or the Royal Family.

Cringer photo Picture1145_zpse39aa338.jpg

Cringer photo Picture269_zps577d9dd4.jpg

Cringer photo Cringer.jpg

Cringer photo motu424.jpg

Cringer photo Cringer3_zps2bbb09c0.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Morbebanur View Post
    Hope it works better 2nd time around.
    Should be good to go this time. Have plenty of space for this newer, improved, longer countdown!
    Last edited by RockinHard; May 27, 2014 at 01:07am.

I really like this guy but I wish he had more articulation so I could lay him or sit him down to make him look more lazy and tired.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    #101 - Cringer

I was beyond elated to finally get a Cringer figure in Classics. Though the sculpt is great, it isn't exactly the version of Cringer I, and most others, wanted. It's more like a "younger" Cringer. Not sure why Mattel went this direction other than for costing reasons. It also doesn't help that the “figure” is not (or barely) articulated, making it more like a sculpted block of plastic rather than an actual action figure. Still, a well-sculpted Cringer is better than no Cringer and it looks great next to Prince Adam or the Royal Family.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I always likened the Star Sisters to the Magus Sisters from Final Fantasy. A trio of immensely powerful beings.

I like the colors of the figures, rather than the alternate colors.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

I'm so glad I missed the Star Sisters....no offense to those that like them. I would have been upset to lose all that money on them is all. I really like Cringer even if he's still a cub. In Filmation he grows when he becomes Battle Cat so I'm glad he wasn't THAT size but I do wish he was a tad bigger and articulated.

Eternian Music Master mikethedrummer's Avatar
    Go RockinHard! Glad to see this revived!
    PS3 contact: InfernoSkeletor
    mikethedrummer's feedback thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=181087

Quote Originally Posted by mikethedrummer View Post
    Ditto!
    Top Ten MOTUC wants Sagitar, Lizard Man, Tung Lashor, Mermista, Sssqueeze, Ninjor, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Peekablue

Quote Originally Posted by KelvAcos View Post
    I really like this guy but I wish he had more articulation so I could lay him or sit him down to make him look more lazy and tired.
    That's a great point. I doubt we'll see that ability, even if they do a proper sized 2.0 version, but it would put that simple looking figure over the top imo.

#100 - Dragon-Blaster Skeletor

Dragon Blaster Skeletor is all about the armor, particularly the dragon part. This MOTUC version has a much-needed and much-improved sculpt to this part of the figure over the vintage one. Furthermore, a cool feature that the vintage lacked is that the dragon can be removed from the armor piece. The downside to this, however, is that the dragon can’t “sit” by Skeletor when the figure’s armor is on, as there is not an option to unlatch the chain from Skeletor’s arm, which would give us the option to have the dragon sit or be free from the figure. As a result, the dragon just . . . hangs by the chain. It also appears that the plastic underneath the figure’s blue paint job has been cast in black plastic and the paint can too easily be scratched and said black plastic is very visible underneath. In fact, my figure scratched when I simply raised its arms the first time. Of course, this is very unfortunate and very disappointing. On top of that, besides swapped forearm and shins, the only new part is the dragon armor, and even though it is cool and detailed nicely, it’s definitely not as cool as it could and should be.

Skeletor (DB) photo Picture1238_zps691e92b7.jpg

Skeletor (DB) photo Picture496_zpsebfc630a.jpg

Skeletor (DB) photo Picture1230_zps585f16df.jpg

Skeletor (DB) photo Picture1227_zps387bcd30.jpg

Skeletor (DB) photo Picture1216_zps410e8341.jpg

Skeletor (DB) photo Picture1218_zps0dcab9e4.jpg

Skeletor (DB) photo DBSkeletor6-1.jpg

Skeletor (DB) photo Picture1248_zps4faae9f5.jpg

Skeletor (DB) photo Picture1233_zpsdebc48a5.jpg

Skeletor (DB) photo Picture1251_zps7756b1f7.jpg

Skeletor (DB) photo DBSkeletor6.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by KelvAcos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikethedrummer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zargon View Post
    Ditto!

Thank you all! I hope you all continue to contribute and keep this thread alive!
    Last edited by RockinHard; May 27, 2014 at 09:08pm.

For me, black plastic is up there with swapped forearms, reversed shoulders, and BG Teela thighs. It is such a dumb decision, I can't even fathom the ignorance or penny pinching mindset behind it. One of the great blunders of this lines execution imho.

#99 - Zoar, Zoar "The Fighting Falcon," Screech, and Glory Bird - The Birds of MOTUC

While the sculpts are just fine, I can’t help but to regress to my hope that these would have been . . . more. As is, there just isn’t too much we can do with these birds besides pose them on their perches alongside our figures. All of them, of course, share the same mold, just painted differently. All have nicely-done paint jobs, with “Sorceress Zoar” being my favorite, as the colors are most vibrant and striking on that particular one. Only Glory Bird gets a unique stand and headdress (although the bird itself happens to be my least favorite one of the four). It is also very nice to have a “Zoar – The Fighting Falcon” as seen in the vintage mini-comics. As a child, I always saw that version and wondered, “Is that another character/bird?” So, it’s cool to finally have that version with the green perch and armor. Still, alas, I do wish these birds were bigger – not “vintage-sized” bigger, as those were TOO big – but bigger nonetheless. I know many consider these MOTUC versions to be “in-scale” with the MOTUC figures, but they are too small for my tastes and offer little in terms of playability, posing, and overall fun (even though I’m glad to have them in my collection regardless!).

Screech

Screech photo Birds4.jpg

Screech photo Screeech2_zps6a470cb5.jpg

Screech photo Picture719_zps26673dba.jpg

Zoar

Zoar photo Picture705_zpsd7193ca4.jpg

Zoar photo Picture701_zps3752360b.jpg

Zoar photo Picture785_zps20685376.jpg

Zoar "The Fighting Falcon"

Zoar photo Picture708_zps2ef38b8e.jpg

Zoar photo Picture711_zpsfbc35166.jpg

Zoar photo Birds3.jpg

Glory Bird

Star Sisters - Glory Bird photo GloryBird_zps9b835227.jpg

Star Sisters - Glory Bird photo GloryBird7_zpsa8a29f52.jpg

Star Sisters - Glory Bird photo GloryBird5_zps6bfd1de6.jpg

Screech vs. Zoar

Zoar - Screech photo Birds.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by nicholighkun View Post
    For me, black plastic is up there with swapped forearms, reversed shoulders, and BG Teela thighs. It is such a dumb decision, I can't even fathom the ignorance or penny pinching mindset behind it. One of the great blunders of this lines execution imho.
    I think using black plastic underneath figures only to have the paint scrape off when raising a figure's arms is absolutely terrible, along with loose ankles that can't even hold figures up.

Cool, Rockinhard's countdown is back! I missed out on most of the previous one and finally came back only to find that the pics were all down. Hopefully, I can keep up with this countdown a bit better than last time.

This will be an interesting countdown for me. While I'm now a MOTUC completist that enjoys all of the different eras and factions, it will be fun to see how this list compares to my childhood memories of MOTU!

As far as the Star Sisters go, I only learned about them a couple of years ago, through the She-Ra series, so their Filmation looks are good for me. I recently saw their prototype colors and while they also look cool, I'm happier with them matching the other POP girls' Filmation looks.

I always wanted a proper Cringer toy so I'm glad that MOTUC didn't forget about him. Even as a kid, I never considered an unarmored Battle Cat as Cringer because he looked too ferocious. I agree that MOTUC Cringer is a bit small and should've been better articulated so that he can lie down, cower, and be more poseable. I think the 4H nailed his scaredy-cat face, though!

When it was time to replace my broken Skeletor figure, I ended up getting Terror Claws Skeletor so I always thought the Dragon Blaster version was much later. It's a shame that the MOTUC version was a victim of the Blastic issues because it's a neat figure otherwise.

I only had vintage Screech but didn't like how huge he was. I'm glad that the MOTUC birds are smaller and closer to what I remember seeing in the Filmation cartoons. I also like Filmation Zoar the best...Although it's neat to have Screech with the vintage armor once again!

Well, keep up the good work, Rockinhard, and thanks for the cool pics!
    Like He-Man & She-Ra artwork? Check out my latest art and MOTUC pics at Havoc Staff!

I never had a Dragon Blaster Skeletor when I was a kid, I learned about him a few yrs ago but I do like him.

- - - Updated - - -

I hate those 3 birds it's just... I don't know... They need something better to hold into their stands... But besides that I'm happy to have them! (Didn't I sounded bipolar?)

DB Skelly was my favorite as a kid and is probably my favorite Skeletor still. He has the best head IMO and I really like his boot detail. The birds are ok but I wish Mattel would give us a stand for TOD Zoar.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    DB Skelly was my favorite as a kid and is probably my favorite Skeletor still. He has the best head IMO and I really like his boot detail. The birds are ok but I wish Mattel would give us a stand for TOD Zoar.
    Totally agree with this. DB Skelly was MY Skeletor. My brother had regular & Terror Claws and I had Dragon Blaster. I wish Mattel would give us stands for both TOD & crystal Zoar.
    Top Ten MOTUC wants Sagitar, Lizard Man, Tung Lashor, Mermista, Sssqueeze, Ninjor, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Peekablue

Heroic Warrior
    ill take DB Skeletor over BA Skeletor any day
    My tribute to MOTUC video using still photos of MOTUC figures with filmation music : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ibute-to-MOTUC

great photos

Heroic Warrior
    I like DBS enough, probably more for his parts than as a whole though? I do prefer him to The Battle Armor version also. The birds are nice accessories, but other than that pretty boring.

Really looking forward to the rest of the list!
    I have seen what others have not seen!

I always liked Tallstar. I love the hair and still think she has one of the best head sculpts in the line. Awesome pictures.
    The Lurkiest

**Scott please make me a Staghorn**