Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking News - ToyGuru Resigns from Mattel

Court Magician

Breaking News - ToyGuru Resigns from Mattel

It happened today. I got to sit down with Scott and talk about it for about half an hour.

You can hear the interview here.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/?p=109408

MOD NOTE: Please remember the rules of the forum when posting. Keep things respectful and keep criticisms constructive. Hateful and insulting posts will not be tollerated. Remember...what would He-Man do!

What? Wow. From out of nowhere.

total shocker!
    and, kind of sad. happy for scott though if it's what he wanted.
    want to hear the interview, but the place where the interview is supposed to be on the link doesn't work (for me)...? help?

Wow! I'm shocked! Listening to the interview now. Curious how the rest of 2015 will wrap up. Q&A, etc...
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

Wow, what a shocker!

I wish Scott the best...thanks for helping to create the greatest toyline ever!
    Congratulations! MOTUC 2015!

Freaking shocking. Trying to watch the video now.

Scott was a class act and one of the greatest toy masters in history. I will miss him,as will many.

Good luck,thanks for your hard work.

Good journey.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

Gee Interesting how Hasbro posted how they're looking for a new brand manager for their lines like Transformers and all. Now this happens? It would be SOOOOOO funny if he went to Hasbro!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

End of an ERA! We've officially had the last round of MOTUC reveals from Toyguru and we didn't even know it when it happened.
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

Wow, this comes as a complete shock, though with the rumored troubles Mattel has been having it makes more sense for him and his family to move to a more stable position, even though it seems like a bit of a dream job. I guess the TG haters will finally get to see what the line would be like without Scott. It's a great loss for us all, he's done so much for the line, it's going to be very hard for anyone to fill his shoes. Sadly, this makes me think that there's even less of a chance for a 2016 line, because whoever fills his shoes is likely not going to be as passionate about MOTU.
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things arenít absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I donít collect toys to be miserable. So Iíd rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

Good Journey Scott
    Top Ten MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Peekablue, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Despara, Evil Seed (all era) w/Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah, Lady Slither

Heroic Warrior
    Good luck TG. Almost finished listening to the interview.
    My tribute to MOTUC video using still photos of MOTUC figures with filmation music : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ibute-to-MOTUC

Wow. Thank you Scott for all your hard work on MOTUC. This line has been awesome and its been a blast looking forward to each month. Despite not everyone agreeing with all your work, I really feel like you are a true fan and have done your best within your ability. This line has meant a lot to me. Its the only toy line I diehard collect and its brought back a lot of memories and given me opportunities to discover new things and chat, trade, and interact with cool people. I have been stunned to see your videos and direct interaction with fans given how disconnected corporations as large as Mattel generally are from their customers and fans. I work for a huge corporation and I know how rare that really is. Its just been cool as hell. Thank you and best of luck with your future efforts.

Heroic Warrior Wonderbread He-Man's Avatar
    A heartfelt 'Thank you', Scott. For all that you've done. My shelves wouldn't even exist to hold any figures without your efforts. It's something I'll cherish to my last days.
    Founder: MOTU Heroic Warriors Alliance
    A fan club for all MOTU/POP fans in Southern California

WOW....I am really gonna miss him. Wish you the best of luck Scott!

Good luck Scott! Hope you still chime in here on the boards as the new figures come out. Will be fun to see you around strictly as a fan.

(switched browsers and got the interview to play... was great to hear scott talk about it all.)
    scott... first, kudos to you for your integrity in always handling the complaining and hate... impressive.
    i hope in your new position, (given that you mentioned you'd be making toys for kids, as well) that you get to enjoy the benefits without so much of the negatives, as what (apparently) comes with the "adult collector" customer-base.
    speaking of which, THANK YOU so much for being such a big part of this toyline's success and robustness! i grew up loving he-man like you, and because of this line, i've had a way to share he-man and she-ra with my little girls as they're growing up too! it fell at the perfect time... in fact, he-man and beastman came in the mail, and i opened them in the hospital where they were born premature. now they're almost 6, and we enjoy getting new figs each month together! (have two subs... one for me, and one for them.) and, fyi, they've never once complained about any backward shoulders or black plastic, or even bobblehead or loose ankles!
    from all three of us, a GREAT BIG THANK YOU SCOTT, and good journey!
    -kevin

Listening to the interview..lol..people were actually expecting the hoverboard to float.
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things arenít absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I donít collect toys to be miserable. So Iíd rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

WOW! Haven't listened to the whole interview yet, but may be now some of you will appreciate how much this guy has done for the line. Perfection is NEVER possible with WHOM EVER is running the helm because you always gotta go through the red tape to get any thing done with this sorta crap.

*Some will understand* some thing like that, some will NEVER....

Any way, it'll be a tough act to follow in regard to the passion that he put forth by pushing for this and that. He was an ACTUAL fan with this stuff and not just some one worried about numbers and could give a rats ass about what YOU think....

If you haven't encountered people in this business with out the passion that he incorporated, you simply haven't been around long enough.

I'm not saying that the next guy will bomb, but this may also give people the chance to see the difference between night and day.....

Wow. When I saw the thread title, I was sure it was a joke!

Yeah, I had a lot of issues and problems and questions with his work. There were times I was inches from calling for his head. But I'll admit that my main reaction is that the news is a little sad.

I worry about whether Mattel will step up and give us someone who will communicate with us.

And I guess 2015 is really the end. Yeah, it sounds like they had some plans for 2016, but I'll have to question how certain that is at this point.

I'm SURE this is the end for the minis and giants at a minimum.

I guess the punch line is that Digital River outlasted him....
    Top want list: Evil Seed, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200x Beast-Man, Teela 2.0, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

Co-moderator at the Mike Mignola Appreciation Station on Facebook.

Wow--this is horrible news I dreaded this day coming. I feel like Scott had to fight for us to get a lot of the things we got in this line, so whoever replaces him.... Thanks Scott, for everything you did--Good Journey

Last edited by He-Kal; October 18, 2014 at 02:19am.

Heroic Warrior
    Good Journey Toyguru

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    I get it though. He hasn't had a promotion in at least 7 years....in marketing you need to keep moving. He needs to move to a directorship or VP role....his career has been pretty stagnant. I would probably leave too if I didn;t see much of a future for myself.
    Its a long time time to wait for Electroid Love---AREMESH in 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by melmoth666 View Post
    I get it though. He hasn't had a promotion in at least 7 years....in marketing you need to keep moving. He needs to move to a directorship or VP role....his career has been pretty stagnant. I would probably leave too if I didn;t see much of a future for myself.
    I don't blame him at all. Mattycollector is all but certain to be gone by 2017, at the latest. His job was just about done and it was time to move on.
    Top want list: Evil Seed, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200x Beast-Man, Teela 2.0, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

Co-moderator at the Mike Mignola Appreciation Station on Facebook.

Now I understand this art published by Axel today.

TO THE FUTURE
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG