Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.13!

Answers to WTFWTK 2.13!

Toyguru has once again provided answers to your questions.
    Check out his answers to your Round 13 questions!

1. Will Mattel offer more shipping options through the United States Postal Services for international fans?
    We are not offering additional shipping options yet, but we have been working with German fans sites to improve distribution since while sales are higher in German than in any other area outside of the US.

2. In regards to the possible Direct to Video feature, might it be a new story or a continuation of the 2002 story?
    This comment actually seems to have been taken a bit too literally. To clarify, we are not currently in development of an animated direct to DVD movie or project. This is just one of many MOTU related projects that is on the table right now under discussion. At the moment, 100% f our MOTU time and resources are going into making the best possible figures in the Classics line. If sales take off enough that we can start looking into other projects, a DVD film is at the top of our “wish list” to do and we do have some ideas and concepts brewing. Our comment at NYCC was that we would “like” to do a DVD feature which is true and we are pushing for one, but there is not a project literally in the works at the moment.

3. If two figures shared parts in the '80s line, and since MOTUC figures seem to be recycling similar parts as well, is it safe to expect Mattel to make certain characters first in order to provide the recyclable components for other characters? (eg: Mekaneck before Stinkor [armor], Fisto before Clamp Champ [armor], etc)
    Absolutely. One of the reasons we are able to do this line is the fact that so many parts were legitimately reusable. But just because Stinkor shared Mekaneck’s armor that doesn’t mean we will stick with that release order. Characters who shared parts whether in body type or accessory in the old lines will share them again. We could certainly do Clamp Champ first. All remains to be seen!

4. Why are Hordak's abs showing and painted black, rather than having a torso piece of armor?
    This was a concept created by the Fourhorsemen to aide characters with armor articulate better. We think it is keen.

5. Will Hordak's head be articulated separately from the his rear head armor, or with the head be affixed to his rear head armor like in the classic toy?
    His head is a separate pieces. It is actually one of the coolest parts of the figure!

6. Due to the concerns over costs, instead of creating a whole new Castle Grayskull or a build-a-castle feature, would it be possible to release a modified classic '80s Castle Grayskull as part of the MOTUC line?
    That would cost the same amount. We no longer have the tool for the original castle (they weren’t built to last back then) and we would need to retool the castle again from the sculpt.

7. When Battle Cat is released in 2010, will he take up that month's figure slot or will he be released in addition to that month's figure?
    He would be a bonus figure that month.

8. Will Teela sport ab-crunch and swivel waist under what appears to be a soft plastic outfit attachment concealing her body?
    ***Mattel did not answer this question***

9. Will Tri-Klops come with a stand for his Doomseeker?
    Yes, it will be the same stand used by Slimed that was on display in the NYCC booth in the Ghostbusters case. We just didn’t have two at the convention and Slimer “rolled over” more without the stand then did the Doomseeker, so he got it in the display case.

10. Last year at SDCC we were told there wouldn't be any more chase figures. Now at NYCC we were told there might be a chase for the SDCC exclusive. Will you tell us the rarity of this particular chase so the many fans who will want one know their odds, as well as helping them avoid paying high after-market prices?
    We actually have not locked down exactly what we are doing. Our challenge this year is that now that we have Matty-Collector.com and the exclusives are available online after the show, we wanted to make the figures actually at the show a little extra special as they were intended to be. It is likely that the batch we bring to the show itself will get something extra not available online. Whether this is an accessory change or a paint op change will depend on the figure, but it is something you will see in a few of our exclusives this year.

--------------------

Click here to ask questions in Round 15!
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 1.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 2.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 3.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 4.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 5.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 6.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 7.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 8.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 9.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 10.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 11.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 12.
    And, have fun discussing Toy Guru's answers to your Round 13 questions!

Collector of Toys 4 Life
    cool!! Battlecat a bonus figure!!!!

i hope that means they can start making more than one figure per month by then. we could get more figures done at a faster rate.

not cool about 'chase' figures.... that blows imo. Every figure should be available to everyone. I hate 'exclusive' crap.

not cool about having figures HAVE to reuse the same parts the old figures did. does that mean Stinkor will be a repainted merman just because the old one was? I hope not....i hope they use some common sense when it comes to some characters, not that they use a fish guy's parts for a mammalian character when they have furry 'beast' parts already available.

cool that they 'want' to do a new dvd release. But if it's not a continuation/ending for the myp series, then i'm not interested.
    Lifelong fan of: MOTU, G.I.Joe, Transformers, most 'good' movies of any genre, Star Wars, oldies/classic rock & country music, WWE/WWF/WCW/NWA wrestling, old school circus sideshow performers & fictional movie 'creatures', my friends and family. oh, yes...and I love action figures!!!!!

Support MVCreations for MOTUC!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Multibot View Post
    not cool about 'chase' figures.... that blows imo. Every figure should be available to everyone. I hate 'exclusive' crap.

I'm with you there. Why have chase figures? I guess those that can't make it to SDCC should be punished by not having a complete collection? Or maybe we should buy it on ebay for triple the price, not cool Matty, not cool at all.

I agree with you guys. I do not want chase figures. I would have to fly out to SDCC etc just to buy a figure? lame!

I'm just wondering why they didn't answer #8

A possible secret.

Heroic Weather Oddity Raining Light's Avatar
    I agree with the others.
    I do not like the whole exclusive/chase stuff going on.
    I'm a completionist so it just makes it hard on me

And the answer to the Hordak armor is not cool for me.
    I think the armor looks just silly and dont like where they are going with it.
    Does this mean all the characters with armor like this is going to have painted abs or some weird under armor thing?
    I just dont like it, thats my opinion.
    Last edited by Raining Light; March 7, 2009 at 01:31am.
    I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity--Edgar Allen Poe

Heroic Warrior
    Why no question regarding the figures' loose joints?

Heroic Warrior
    I agree with the chase, paint op, extra accessory thingy. I can understand that they would want to make the "con" figures special, but don't alienate the people who can't make it.

I liked the idea of figures being available through Matty after the con. It makes collecting the figures fun again, not having to worry about looking on ebay for something, or missing out on something cool.

Do something for the cons that has NO effect on the actual figure or it's accessory. Don't offer an exclusive paint job or an additional weapon.

Do make different packaging, con badge sticker for blister, or add a mini comic for the con figures.

I hate the idea of a chase figure......

Widget
    Agreed also, chase figures and variants are not cool, isn't the fact that people who attend the shows get the figure earlier than most people enough of a bonus like faker?
    I wish they would just do the same for all conventions.

Collector of Toys 4 Life
    Quote Originally Posted by manowar View Post
    I agree with the chase, paint op, extra accessory thingy. I can understand that they would want to make the "con" figures special, but don't alienate the people who can't make it.

I liked the idea of figures being available through Matty after the con. It makes collecting the figures fun again, not having to worry about looking on ebay for something, or missing out on something cool.

Do something for the cons that has NO effect on the actual figure or it's accessory. Don't offer an exclusive paint job or an additional weapon.

Do make different packaging, con badge sticker for blister, or add a mini comic for the con figures.

Agreed. Isn't this toyline 'Exclusive' enough, being an online only toyline rather than a retail one? There's no point in making it more exclusive imo. Very bad idea indeed. i guess they want to turn people away before the line even gets going....that's a good way to do it.
    people are going to have to pay outrageous prices for an 'exclusive' of an exlcusive toyline on ebay just to get whatever the 'con' figure is.... lovely idea....NOT.

why do the 'con' figures/accessories have to altered? they should not be, imo. slap a sticker on the package or something, or have the 4hm put their signature on it. That'd be 'special' enough.
    Lifelong fan of: MOTU, G.I.Joe, Transformers, most 'good' movies of any genre, Star Wars, oldies/classic rock & country music, WWE/WWF/WCW/NWA wrestling, old school circus sideshow performers & fictional movie 'creatures', my friends and family. oh, yes...and I love action figures!!!!!

Support MVCreations for MOTUC!!!!

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    i wonder why they eluded my Teela question. Hopefully that means they have not made up their mind about it just yet! I really hope all females sport the same articulation as their male counterparts, i.e. ab crunch and swivel waist
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

Not cool about the chase figures/con exclusive thing.

But the thing about Hordak's armor is even worse. I thought Toyguru was reading the boards from time to time. He should have noticed that the majority here doesn't like the bra-armor.
    We think it is keen.
    Wel,, we don't! And we're the ones who are supposed to pay money for this.
    Last edited by Grayskull's Heir; March 7, 2009 at 05:10am. Reason: typo
    Awesome sticker included!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Toyguru has once again provided answers to your questions.
    Check out his answers to your Round 13 questions!
    10. Last year at SDCC we were told there wouldn't be any more chase figures. Now at NYCC we were told there might be a chase for the SDCC exclusive. Will you tell us the rarity of this particular chase so the many fans who will want one know their odds, as well as helping them avoid paying high after-market prices?
    We actually have not locked down exactly what we are doing. Our challenge this year is that now that we have Matty-Collector.com and the exclusives are available online after the show, we wanted to make the figures actually at the show a little extra special as they were intended to be. It is likely that the batch we bring to the show itself will get something extra not available online. Whether this is an accessory change or a paint op change will depend on the figure, but it is something you will see in a few of our exclusives this year.

I was optimistic when they made the con exclusives available online but, I now see Mattel is still insists on carrying on the bad idea of exclusives and chase figures. All this answer means to me is that if I also happen to like this con exclusive with something 'special' then I have to go online and pay a scalper a ton of money because I couldn't attend. When will Mattel learn that listening to the general consensus of fans (= customers = profits = their jobs) is good for business and them.
    Why won't they listen to the fans on this issue? I could be wrong but, I think most fans are opposed to chase figures or con exclusives that very few can get. While I understand there are some who love to 'hunt' these figures down, I think they are in the minority and these rare chase figures mostly benefit scalpers who attend cons en masse. If they want the figures to be special slap a sticker on them don't make chase figures with different paint apps or accessories. I hope those of us opposed to this idea are vocal.

Well they don't listen to us because they just don't.
    I will never understand this myself, either.
    It's 200x all over again and I feel the line will be dead more sooner than later...
    Awesome sticker included!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    7. When Battle Cat is released in 2010, will he take up that month's figure slot or will he be released in addition to that month's figure?
    He would be a bonus figure that month.
    Nice! This is something I've been wondering about.

Quote Originally Posted by coffex View Post
    Agreed also, chase figures and variants are not cool, isn't the fact that people who attend the shows get the figure earlier than most people enough of a bonus like faker?
    That is what I am thinking too!

Like the BC news, but I dont like the missing abs on Hordak. They should choose between "bra" armour (which makes sense for Webstor) or full armour with no articulation.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Characters who shared parts whether in body type or accessory in the old lines will share them again.
    So much for MOTUC Buzz-Off, Webstor, Whiplash, Clawful and Kobra Khan...

Oh, well... back to the 200X Support thread...

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Soft.Delicious.Nutritious Matt79's Avatar
    1. Will Mattel offer more shipping options through the United States Postal Services for international fans?
    We are not offering additional shipping options yet, but we have been working with German fans sites to improve distribution since while sales are higher in German than in any other area outside of the US.
    Thanks, but no thanks! I don't think that this option is a real advantage. The figures are 38,00$ each + shipping by ordering from the mentioned fan site. So where is the sense in it, while I can get my stuff much cheaper by ordering from mattycollector?

Nice to know, that Battle-Cat will be a bonus figure.

Heroic Warrior
    I live on the other side of the country and have to work. There's just as much chance of me attending SDCC as being struck by lightning. I have a feeling alot of US customers are in the same situation. So it's not just the international fans being screwed on this; but pretty much everyone who doesn't live near the San Diego area. Thanks Mattel.

As for the armor I say make it so that it does restrict articulation. I'd rather it look good instead of Horak being able to do ab crunches. And it's more realistic. Knights who wore armor didn't have a full range of motion either. It's to be expected. And if ol' Hordie does want to stretch his back a bit; he could always take it off and relax.

Quote Originally Posted by fatman View Post
    Thanks Mattel for thinking of making chase figures special for the cons, don't think about all the international fans who cant attend the cons. We are just a bunch of idiots who support the line.

Looking really forward to the disco Skeletors and chase figures!

And while your at it, please fire you crew that came up with this horrific idea.
    Use Ebay. There are many, many sellers that go to SDCC and are competing with each other on Ebay for customers to buy their auctions. It usually lowers the prices to a reasonable level. I got 2-3 KGs last year on Ebay at $40.00 each and I didn't have to deal with the headache of Mattycollector or certain Org Members who said they would buy KGs for them and send them out, only to keep all their money and scam them.

It's not the end of world. Ebay is actually quite easier in this circumstance.

International fans

I am glad to see the good quality of the classics.
    But I feel matel does not consider international fans in relation to supplying exclusive figures at conventions and chasers which end up being sold at extravagant prices on ebay.
    I feel the majority of true fans will be happy that there is no slight paint job or accesories that differ. Isn't what they are trying to do is spread the word on how good the figures are around the world and not to isolated it to the few that can actually make it to the conventions. Surely a certificate or something to certify that it came from the com con would be enough to keep fans happy.
    It is good I can finally purchase the items from Mattycollector with reliable service, instead of paying inflated prices.
    With regards to reusing same styles of armour or bodies surely each figure should have there own style and not look familiar.
    I do think if they carry on with com con exclusives and chasers it will only be the elite who matel will be targeting and not the mass that keep the sales improving, which ultimately is what they should be doing.

Everybody knows I'm not a big supporter of many Mattel decisions latyerly, but....

Quote Originally Posted by fatman View Post
    Thanks Mattel for thinking of making chase figures special for the cons, don't think about all the international fans who cant attend the cons. We are just a bunch of idiots who support the line.
    Looking really forward to the disco Skeletors and chase figures!
    I think this is an exagerated reaction.
    No one talked about Chase Figures like Disco Skleletor.
    We know exactly what they mean: something like Bronze Grayskull.
    So not like missing a figure because it's sold only at the con.

Also, if it was a Disco variant, would you really mind so much about missing it?

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    So much for MOTUC Buzz-Off, Webstor, Whiplash, Clawful and Kobra Khan...
    I wouldn't understimate the Four Horsemen just yet. Of course they won't be 2002 version fo those character (I think that should be pretty clear now), but the 4H surely know how to make them look cool.
    I'm not worried at all about that.

cool!! Battlecat a bonus figure!!!!

i hope that means they can start making more than one figure per month by then. we could get more figures done at a faster rate.

not cool about 'chase' figures.... that blows Every figure should be available to everyone. I hate 'exclusive' crap.

not cool about having figures HAVE to reuse the same parts the old figures did. does that mean Stinkor will be a repainted merman just because the old one was? I hope not....i hope they use some common sense when it comes to some characters, not that they use a fish guy's parts for a mammalian character when they have furry 'beast' parts already available.
    cool that they 'want' to do a new dvd release. But if it's not a continuation/ending for the myp series, then i'm not interested.
    Well they said at NYCC that we will on occasion get a bonus figure. Glad to see that Battle Cat will be one of them. As for the reusing parts. NO one seemed to mind back in the day? Why mind now? Look at Beast Man and Stratos. Same body, but both still look great and to one who doesn't know that it's the same body couldn't tell.

Quote Originally Posted by jzguitars View Post
    I'm with you there. Why have chase figures? I guess those that can't make it to SDCC should be punished by not having a complete collection? Or maybe we should buy it on ebay for triple the price, not cool Matty, not cool at all.
    It's not really a chase figure. The figure will be the same as when it's released on Matty.com. Only difference is a added special something. We don't even know what it is! It could be a sticker for all we know. And if it is something like an accessory, If you want that extra item. Try Ebay for it!

Quote Originally Posted by suckator View Post
    I agree with you guys. I do not want chase figures. I would have to fly out to SDCC etc just to buy a figure? lame!
    Well no one is making you fly out to attend the show. Besides if you have the money to do that. Why not use it and buy the figure off ebay! YOu save a lot of money in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Raining Light View Post
    I agree with the others.
    I do not like the whole exclusive/chase stuff going on.
    I'm a completionist so it just makes it hard on me

And the answer to the Hordak armor is not cool for me.
    I think the armor looks just silly and dont like where they are going with it.
    Does this mean all the characters with armor like this is going to have painted abs or some weird under armor thing?
    I just dont like it, thats my opinion.
    Why not wait till we see the final version. Changes can still be made if needed be.

Quote Originally Posted by manowar View Post

AND

Quote Originally Posted by coffex View Post
    AND

Agreed. Isn't this toyline 'Exclusive' enough, being an online only toyline rather than a retail one? There's no point in making it more exclusive imo. Very bad idea indeed. i guess they want to turn people away before the line even gets going....that's a good way to do it.
    people are going to have to pay outrageous prices for an 'exclusive' of an exlcusive toyline on ebay just to get whatever the 'con' figure is.... lovely idea....NOT.

why do the 'con' figures/accessories have to altered? they should not be, imo. slap a sticker on the package or something, or have the 4hm put their signature on it. That'd be 'special' enough.
    Well let's see, since MOTU brand doesn't seem to have the weight it did in the 80's. No wonder the 200X line failed at retail. Will not go into that here. So I don't see a problem the way they're doing it now. Again, The SDCC figure will be the same as when it's released on Mattycollector.com. Only difference is a added special something. We don't even know what it is yet! So why have a fit over it?

Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    i wonder why they eluded my Teela question. Hopefully that means they have not made up their mind about it just yet! I really hope all females sport the same articulation as their male counterparts, i.e. ab crunch and swivel waist
    I wonder the same. I hope the females sport the same articulation as the males do. I mean if the DC Universe can. Why not MOTU? I just wonder of they will actually have to make a couple different female body types to accommodate the costumes that certain characters wear. After all, Teela doesn't wear the same costume as The Sorceress. And she doesn't wear the same costume type as Glimmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull's Heir View Post
    Well they don't listen to us because they just don't.
    I will never understand this myself, either.
    It's 200x all over again and I feel the line will be dead more sooner than later...
    That's your opinion and your entitled to it. But, I think Mattel has become a bit better to listening to the fans and what they would like to see. And this is one who hated Mattel after the 200X fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    Everybody knows I'm not a big supporter of many Mattel decisions latyerly, but....

I think this is an exagerated reaction.
    No one talked about Chase Figures like Disco Skleletor.
    We know exactly what they mean: something like Bronze Grayskull.
    So not like missing a figure because it's sold only at the con.

Also, if it was a Disco variant, would you really mind so much about missing it?

I wouldn't understimate the Four Horsemen just yet. Of course they won't be 2002 version fo those character (I think that should be pretty clear now), but the 4H surely know how to make them look cool.
    I'm not worried at all about that.
    Nice to see someone thinking level headed about the whole topic.
    Is it wrong to like Disco Skeletor? He was purty!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Heroic Warrior
    I don't like the idea of chase/exclusives either, especially since we were told this wouldn't be an issue. Why don't we make a stickied thread letting Mattel know how much we are against this?

Again Mattel is driving against what they said before.
    Last year in SDCC, they said MOTUC would be a true fan toyline, without exclusive figures. I remember they said not 6 He-Mans and 1 Beast Man, or something like that...
    Now, they realize there are a lot of MOTU fans out there and the sales are really well. So Mattel will start to release exclusive and chase figures.
    My personal situation is very bad. I live in Brazil and each figure takes a month to arrive. As mattycollector.com do not accept PayPal, I have to spend a lot of money in eBay or in Mercadolivre. But I got all figures incluiding both KGs.
    If they plain to release exclusives figures instead more different characteres and stores sales, I am sure it will be very difficult to "collect them all" !