Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: has anyone had their wisdom teeth pulled?

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar

has anyone had their wisdom teeth pulled?

My top 2 wisdom teeth may need to be pulled. All 4 came in straight with no problems when I was young so they didn't come out. Now though, the sides of both top teeth are going, mostly because my cheeks press against them constantly so mouthwashes don't get to those spots, and partly because a lot of toothpastes and mouthwashes started to have a severe burning reaction to my soft tissues a few years back, to the point I had to give up brushing for a long time until I found something I could stand. It's not just a bad burning feeling- it leaves spots on my tongue and other signs. Brushing my teeth doens't do ay good if my gums are being burned away.

My top left tooth is worn away a bit but doesn't hurt at all. The top right has a hole on the side and the past 3 days has hurt like all hell. I got some Anbesol, which helps for immediate numbing, and take an Ibuprofen which keeps me out of pain for around 6 hours.

I could let it go, let the tooth decay until it falls out or gets loose and I can pull it out, but I've read up on abscess and figure the risks aren't to be laughed at- some rare cases of detah have occurred, and wisdom teeth can be a riskier infection chance.

So aside from the cost which will be godo since I have no dental insurance, what are the risks of having it done? Have people here who have had them pulled had any problems? Like I said, my teeth came in straight, but I have zero idea what the roots or nerves are like and I've read some horror stories of real bad root growth which makes extraction a nightmare. I want to know what I may be getting into here.

Mine didn't grow in until I was mid into my twenties, and they were pretty much not the color you would expect a tooth to be. I think that they were rotting before they even cut through my gums. One by one they started shattering on food, one even broke on bread(!). I went to a strip mall dental office, think Supercuts, but for teeth because they took payments in installments. I had very little slivers of tooth to work with, and was pleasantly surprised that they didn't need to cut into my gums to dig them out. They came out easily, and quickly. The only risks of having it done that I can think of is that the extractions can cause slight fractures to the jaw.
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

I got mine pulled back in I think 95. First I did the 2 on the bottom, then the two on the top.

I do not remember much. I just remember many weeks of horrific pain.......

I had to have 3 of them removed because they were impacted. So, mine were surgically removed. I didn't develop any problems but my face was swollen for about a week and I was on a soft diet for days as I couldn't chew on anything.

In your case, they can be pulled. I would not even chance leaving them in to decay as an infection of the wisdom teeth with an abscess can spread and give you some very serious complications. You'll be uncomfortable from having them pulled for several days but that's the better choice.
    For the Honor, for the Glory, for the Power of GRAYSKULL!!!

I had all 4 out at the same time. No big deal. Lots of painkillers. Watched a bunch of Frank Zappa movies.
    1. Please like me: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pop-C...9994401?ref=hl
    2. Please read my fanfiction: USURPERS http://he-man.org/community/view.php...3&UserID=38050
    3. Please go here: www.mlhumble.deviantart.com
    4. Please see my list of 2000+ comics to trade for MOTUC: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ics-and-trades
    5. Thank you

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    I had mine pulled back when I was in high school - three of them impacted at about the same time, so the dentist had to extract them all...one of them was so badly impacted he had to cut it apart to get it out. It was really not fun...the surgery only took about an hour, but I was in enormous pain for about a week and half or so afterwards.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

I grew out all 4 and had to have one upper left removed because it ruptured the gum line (grew past it).

If you already have them grown out you are going to be okay and a dentist can remove them. It takes all of 5 minutes. Very little pain...its over so quick..
    When they are impacted is when it hurts becaue you need to have oral surgery.
    Do not let it go! Its only about $100 to have a tooth pulled.
    Letting it go could caise infection and you surrounding teeth to decay.
    Use sensitive tooth paste and mouth wash. It sounds like you have bleeding gums with an infection. Very common in back teeth.
    Get them removed asap. Youll be happy you did and if the tooth is already decaying itll be easier to remove.
    Turn Mermaid Speculation Into Mermaid Support
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=164726
    Where's the fish!!??
    MERMISTA

I had mine done last year, all 4 of them. First the ones on the left side (top/bottom, it leaves you with one good side to eat) later the right side. They had to cut all 4 of them, the smell (cutting teeth has a weird smell) is worse as the feeling cause of the local sedation they gave me. I'm more scared of needles as the dentist so after that it was just a case of closing my eyes and wait.
    This is one of those things you know you have to get done before it ruins the good teeth and gums. There is no easy way out, no magic punch to the kisser that pops out just those teeth you hate so much. Just make sure you get a good talk before the procedure, knowing what they are gonna do and how helps.
    Little tip, if you're a guy, shave before. They rub againts your cheeck during the proces (just to get in behind in your mouth with the tools) and the first time I had some bad carpet burns on my cheeck.

All in all, my experience was waaaaaaay less painfull as I had imagined.
    Nope.... nothing here! Just a link to my site http://motumulder.webklik.nl/page/fotoalbum with customs!

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    I still have them. I'll get them taken out eventually when I have dental insurance again. At the time I went 10 years ago the dentist told me I was fine and did not need them removed. Now I'm being told it is best to get them out sooner than later.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Master of New Adventures!
    I had all four of mine pulled -- in two sessions -- many, many years ago during my service in the United States Air Force. My dentist was a Brigadier General, which at the time I thought was kind of cool. The first operation went smoothly. But while pulling the second two teeth the corner of my mouth ripped on the right side. In fairness, I have a small mouth -- though many on the board will no doubt take umbrage with that. The rip was far more painful than the extraction and took a long time to heal.

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Mine started coming in at 19 when I was stationed at Fort Wainwright, Alaska. They were impacted when I went to have them removed. Being a soldier, I didn't even get the morning off, I went in to the hospital in uniform, I remember they gave my an IV, told to count backwards and the next thing I knew I was lying in a bed with a small pool of blood soaked into the pillow I was on. Obviously my mouth was packed with gauze, and the following three days I was on Percocet. I don't actually remember much from those few days. Percocet is good stuff LOL
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

A few years ago mine impacted, so the dentist had to have an oral surgeon come in, and do an extraction.
    They even made me sign a waiver because if they messed up it would have killed a nerve in my jaw which
    could potentially have caused me to get Bell's Palsy. Thankfully they didn't mess up.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Had all four removed surgically. They were impacted. Hurt for a week or two then all good.

A good thing to do is get some sea salt at the supermarket and mix a lot of it in some water.
    Any time you have any kind of a mouth wound rinse often. Best disinfectant there is, and cheap.

I had one pulled not too long back. Maybe 6 months ago. Didn't hurt, but made the worst noises!!! Mine had 4 roots on it as well, which is very odd. I was just numbed and they pulled it out, didn't have to go to oral surgeon or anything.
    He weeps, for he has but one small tongue, with which to taste an entire world!

Lots of original custom t-shirts and stickers available @ http://www.redbubble.com/people/mightyrain
    Many designs based on Masters of the Universe, Classic video games and random movies/cartoons/movies we all know and love.

I plan to call local dentists this week and see which ones might take payments rather than a lump sum. Depending on how bad the roots might be, if extraction won't be simple, I may have them put me under. I'm hoping the roots are nice and straight, the more curved and nasty ones can be harder to pull and sometimes get into the sinus cavity. But the fact the teeth came in straight does give me some hope that the roots aren't a tangled mess.

Just FYI...
    If yer wisdom teeth are in and u have bo problems with them a good dentist SHOULD leave them in!
    Its unnecissary if you have no problems with them and have good oral health.
    But you have to make sure u brush them!!!
    Turn Mermaid Speculation Into Mermaid Support
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=164726
    Where's the fish!!??
    MERMISTA

Heroic Warrior
    I had my bottom ones removed a couple years ago. They were coming in crooked, and threatened my other teeth. They had to be cut out. I lasted about a day and a half on the soft diet. Then it was back to beer and hotwings. Painful, but delicious.
    Positive Transactions:

As buyer: boggs32, PaTrIcKfOgArTy, Dorko2, Shecky, Shenlon (2),
    Son of Keldor

As seller: mikethedrummer, slgcmg, kngfu
    DJjoker182, bobtheodd, mahuti, FAKER II, General Hawk 7

EBay: StLouisStallions

I had all of mine removed. The top two and one on the bottom came out with ease, but the last bottom tooth was impacted so I had to have it cut out. Even then, the oral surgeon had to use such force to extract the tooth that I wouldn't have been surprised to see my lower jaw on the floor by the time he had finished. Honestly, if I had it to do over again I would have just left them all in. I had some occasional discomfort with the impacted one, but it was nothing compared to the problems I've had since having it removed. Get a second or third opinion before you make your decision.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." - H. J. Simpson, 1997

Unfortunately, both of my top teeth are decaying, so I don't think leaving them in is a good idea, and they seem too damaged for fillings.

Can't remember if mine were impacted, but they had to be surgically removed. This was....mid college, I think. So mid-20s.

Anyway, that crap scares the heck out of me, so I had them put me under. I don't wana know anything about people cuttin' my mouth up and digging out some teeth. Only thing I'm proud of is my ability to at least get off a weak joke in my mindless state: according to my wife (then girlfriend) the first thing I said when I woke up (I didn't really fully wake until way later) was "Someone took my teeth." I'm just proud my brain was working on that even though I wasn't all there.

Anyway, the procedure wasn't anything because I was out, but the time after was annoying. Nothing to write home about, though. Just couldn't eat much but smooshy things, and the drugs had me throwing up all the time. Once that was over it was business as usual.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

I had all of mine removed. I think I was around 20 years old when I did. They weren't out of the gums yet so they had to be surgically extracted.

It was no big deal for me. All I remember is being in the prep room where they told me what they were going to do. Next thing I know, my dad is helping me down the hallway post-surgery.

I had it done in the morning, then was hanging out at Matt Tyree's office that same evening, practicing my digital coloring. I think the numbness wore off in a few hours.

The pain afterwards was mild. The worst part was the stinky smell as the gums healed. Bleck! Other than that, it was no big deal.

Its worth all the pain and the holes in your head. Clove oil was my best friend and DON'T smoke. Its only a couple days of severe pain and it heals quicker with the clove oil. Also make sure you tell them to save your teeth if you want them. I had the top ones removed in 2003 and the bottom ones in november of 2012.
    Check out my customs. Go on, treat yerself!
    New life into old playsets!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Neilrich...0?feature=mhee

There's a doctor in the next county that still operates out of a small office, I went there yesterday and he prescribed me generic Vicodin for the pain, for now. Since even if I call and make an appointment tomorrow, it might still be a 2-3 months wait to get in to see the dentist, I have to do something about the pain right now. I'm on half a tablet every few hours since it's not severe pain, and I don't want to develop an addiction to this stuff.

I had all four of mine removed in my early 30's. The top two were already in, so they got pulled. No sweat, just feels/sounds weird when they extract them. Bottom two got surgically removed and caused swelling for a couple days. But it sure was nice being put under and then having vicodin for a while.
    I love He-Man.org!!!