Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: MotUC All Things Hordak, Pics and Discussion (Reg, Hurricane, Spirit)

Heroic Warrior
    I understand people not liking the name, but it doesn't ruin the character, or change my opinion of him in any way.

I don't realy get the funky names Mattel is giving these characters!?? Really? Really? Who is coming up with this stuff? But on the other hand, I'm not buying these new figures for thier Bio's. I'm buying them cuase I have the love for MOTU!!

On that note, when this line started I told my self that I was going to limit my buying to just the characters I loved as a kid. Ya, that's out the window now. I wasn't gonna get Faker-got him, Wasn't gonna get Stratos-got him too!! Now I have to make sure i get every single MOTUC figure that is put out. I have turned back into a completist for all things MOTUC!!! Which to me isn't a bad thing, but my wallet isn't liking it at all. And I wasn't gonna buy multiples of every character-but now I think I am. Specailly of old Hec-Tor here. LOL I am wanting to repaint him in the vintage colores for sure.
    " I have the POWER!!!!!"
    Need:

Batman with the Batsignal from 4H line

Sucessful transactions with: Royalt1us, Jag2045, Zodach, WENDIGO, Burtdawg, Illicitjedi, KingHiss

I still dislike the name thing in general.
    For me, MOTU characters don't need "real" names.
    As I've said before, I can understand a potential need for them for a movie.
    Still, I don't see why and how these names were chosen.

Mer-Man's "name" sealed the casket for me on the character names. Hordak's "name" buries it under 6 feet of concrete.

If MOTUC is supposed to bring all of the best things from MOTU together,
    I have to say thus far, I feel it's fallen short of the mark short.
    Thanks goodness for the 4H sculpts, at least.
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    And here's hoping for the return of Power-Con!

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Im truly impressed with Hordak, And I really think the Bios are something that we can take or leave, for instance I only consider the original 4 mini comics as being the actual 'Lore' and as a kid used to make all the new characters fit into that version when I played. so im fine with whatever they write on the cards, I throw them out as soon as I open the Figures anyhow.
    What interests me is that the back of the Hordak card still shows Zodac without his gun? I cant believe they would print cards with such a glaring ommision.
    Cheers Aj

Heroic Warrior
    Well, I don't want to see the names go away, but I do agree that they're pretty superficial.

take it or leave it.

it adds SOMETHING to the characters (for better or worse), but it doesn't take anything away from them.

like I said, if I don't like something, I ignore it. I'm not crazy about the Demo Man thing, but I love Squidish Rex.

I can take or leave Hek Tor, but I'll be honest with you, I don't hate it.

Lycan
    I dislike the names on the bios, but I ignore them. They aren't lore to me, and I hope I never get to the point I have to accept it

However, I do wish they'd dump them.
    Mattel never seems in touch with their correct audience.
    This is a collectors line, for adults. We don't need these daft names.
    Now if they were reinventing this line aimed at kids, I could totally understand it, but they're not.
    This is just my own opinion, but I find the daft names on an adult collector product just a little bit patronising

When Fisto comes out with a name like Fred Han'd or something I will LOL

Wonder what Duncan's surname will be

The figures themselves are consistantly awesome, and thats all I ask
    What next? It seems every month lately there is something..

I don't mind Hec Tor Kur really, I think the other names are terrible though. I love this bio though, it's the best one so far. I've read elsewhere on these boards that people were concerned about Hordak (or Hec Tor) being trapped on Despondos and that being there might interfere with the whole Etheria/POP storyline but isn't it Skeletor that traps Hordak on Etheria? Can't he have rescued him then afterwards trapped him on Etheria?

Just a thought. Cool figure though.

I didnt realize this whole name thing as my first figure is going to be Mer-man and it seems you only see them on the back of the cardboard. All this time I thought you guys were complaining about the description under the name.
    That said the only thing I can think of is maybe they are trying take the cheese out of these names? Maybe fans around here don't realize how silly alot the original names are to outsiders? Especially if they are set on making a live movie. I remember another forum with users saying they really are going make a live movie in this day and age about a warrior named He-man? It works with figures and cartoons but don't quite seem like something you can take seriously with live action. Maybe the new names are no better I cant really say yet, just a thought.

Hordak's bio works fine and he looks like an awesome figure.
    Don't save that new name from being silly though!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

I really LOVE the figure! It is a great blend of old and new, looking more menacing than the 80 figure and the 200X features. Imps head is great too and I like that they reused KGs lioncloth. It works well.

Again, GREAT JOB. I never owned the 80s figure and I can imagine this being my favourite MOTUC figure

Hec-Tor Kur, I think that name is so terrible...

Please Matty, stop giving our loved MotU characters new names!

Maybe someone should make a petition for that.

Or, if that hilarious name-giving continuous, we should start building a Ministry of Silly MotUC Names....

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Those new pics are nice! I am so excited about this one! I cannot wait!

And the photoshop job with the blue skin really does look awesome. I think I prefer the gray first, though. But it would be cool to get a blue skinned version down the road just as a nod to PoP!

The real name though...blech. I really don't liek this one. Why wouldn't Hordak's real name just be Hordak?
    Last edited by Pixel Dan; March 24, 2009 at 10:07am.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Well the one thing this kinda suggests to me is that She-Ra / Adora will probably not end up with her classic story of She-Ra mini comic origin intact. I suppose her classic origin could still happen if Keldor has already made contact with Hordak before the Randor acid incident in this new MOTUC cannon.

After Randor deflects the acid back to Keldor Evil-Lyn could still take him to hordak's sanctuary. Hordak then saves his life and turns him into Skeletor. Hordak could have been training Keldor for years in the dark arts when he finally becomes Skeletor. Maybe once Hordak saves Skeletor after the acid incident, he demands to be freed then and there.

Skeletor & Evil-Lyn could free him and once out of dispondos Hordak could again contact the Horde empire and send for reinforcements. He might then try to continue where he left of and seize control of Eternia, with Skeletor & Evil-Lyn as members of his horde. This leaves the way open for a newly married King Randor, his guards / army & the Sorceress of castle grayskull to successfully push back Hordak and the Horde.

A defeated Hordak & Skeletor could then try to steal Randor & Marlana's new born twins as revenge. Skeletor is captured in the attempt by MAA, but hordak manages to escape Eternia with Adora, as in the Story of She-Ra mini comic and possibily sets up a base on Etheria. I just think She-Ra is entitled to her classic origin as well as the other MOTUC characters and that involves Hordak.
    Last edited by Angel-T; March 24, 2009 at 10:50am.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    I dislike the names on the bios, but I ignore them. They aren't lore to me, and I hope I never get to the point I have to accept it

However, I do wish they'd dump them.
    Mattel never seems in touch with their correct audience.
    This is a collectors line, for adults. We don't need these daft names.
    Now if they were reinventing this line aimed at kids, I could totally understand it, but they're not.
    This is just my own opinion, but I find the daft names on an adult collector product just a little bit patronising

When Fisto comes out with a name like Fred Han'd or something I will LOL

Wonder what Duncan's surname will be

The figures themselves are consistantly awesome, and thats all I ask
    Did people flip over Duncan? Kronis? Tuvar? Odiphus? Keldor?

I like the idea of real names when it calls for it (such as for characters like Two Bad, Fisto, Snout Spout, Trap Jaw, Mekaneck, etc.). I would imagine most fans would too, however it's the execution of those names that isn't working.

Giving real names to those who didn't need them doesn't help either (Zodac and Hordak).

The person or people naming these characters has to learn how to create Eternian sounding given names. The MYP crew made loads of new names for old characters and no one I know flipped over them. Maybe we can offer some constructive criticism and let them know "How to make Eternian sounding names" before more characters get Lucasian names. Maybe a thread or something.

It's the execution that's bad, not the concept behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    Well the one thing this kinda suggests to me is that She-Ra / Adora will probably not end up with her classic story of She-Ra mini comic origin intact. I suppose her classic origin could still happen if Keldor has already made contact with Hordak before the Randor acid incident in this new MOTUC cannon.

After Randor deflects the acid back to Keldor Evil-Lyn could still take him to hordak's sanctuary. Hordak then saves his life and turns him into Skeletor. Hordak could have been training Keldor for years in the dark arts when he finally becomes Skeletor. Maybe once Hordak saves Skeletor after the acid incident, he demands to be freed then and there.

Skeletor & Evil-Lyn could free him and once out of dispondos Hordak could again contact the Horde empire and send for reinforcements. He might then try to continue where he left of and seize control of Eternia, with Skeletor & Evil-Lyn as members of his horde. This leaves the way open for a newly married King Randor, his guards / army & the Sorceress of castle grayskull to successfully push back Hordak and the Horde.

A defeated Hordak & Skeletor could then try to steal Randor & Marlana's new born twins as revenge. Skeletor is captured in the attempt by MAA, but hordak manages to escape Eternia with Adora, as in the Story of She-Ra mini comic and possibily sets up a base on Etheria. I just think She-Ra is entitled to her classic origin as well as the other MOTUC characters and that involves Hordak.
    It's already changed.

Hordak couldn't have kidnapped Adora. He was in Despondos since King Grayskull times. So, somehow Adora has to be out of the picture until Hordak shows up again.

Do we know if Toyguru or Mattel is contacting MYP (or going through their old plans) for how they would have introduced She-Ra? Maybe She-Ra or Adora's bio would have been how she would have been introduced...
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; March 24, 2009 at 11:14am.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Hector?!?!?!? Hordak's real name is Hector?!?!? I wanna know what these guys are smoking when they come up with this stuff. It does tend to explain why he hates Skeletor so much, though; I can't imagine old bone head passing up any opportunity over the years to rib him on that name.

I can see where they combined the shield with Imp there with a well sculpted middle ground. And I really think the Horsemen captured the Nosferatu look the original seemed to be trying for. I never really got the vibe from the old silent film before, but it's unmistakable here.

I can see this one being a must have for a lot of folks, me included.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Yeah now that I think about it that Bio has me nervous for PoP, such a fantastic multiple layered twins tore apart story with a planet over run by a monstrous legion of evil. Can you truly be redeemed if you walk the path of evil? Will they ever be reunited? Lost ancestor, no relation crap don't have the same feel, its to basic. Maybe Shokoti is our last hope but I dont think they have the rights to her or Granny.

Lycan
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Did people flip over Duncan? Kronis? Tuvar? Odiphus? Keldor?
    Far as Duncan goes, we've had plenty of time to get used to that, and for many, he was introduced to them as Duncan anyway.
    Persoanlly, I always felt it was an odd name for an Eternian even as a kid.
    Keldor, we also got used to a long time ago.
    The other names you mention were clever and fit fine into the back stories.

My problem with the bios is its adding something new to something retro. Its not necessary.

I like the idea of real names when it calls for it (such as for characters like Two Bad, Fisto, Snout Spout, Trap Jaw, Mekaneck, etc.). I would imagine most fans would too, however it's the execution of those names that isn't working.
    Agreed, if done in a new cartoon/comic/movie with decent writing, those would be pretty fun to see. But the classics line isn't supposed to be new
    And it seems a lot of us are finding the new names very silly.
    Hek-Tor.. really??

It's the execution that's bad, not the concept behind it.
    Very true. Though Im sure the person or team behind the bios feel they know what they are doing and won't stop and change what theyre doing now anyway.

It's already changed.

Hordak couldn't have kidnapped Adora. He was in Despondos since King Grayskull times. So, somehow Adora has to be out of the picture until Hordak shows up again.
    We've seen anything can be changed up to fit the puzzle.
    Im sure Adoras back story won't be that different and they'll come up with some long winded crazy back story to make sense of an already overly complicated history. or not
    For all we know, Etheria could be on Despondos anyway, and maybe Keldor/Skeletor chucked the baby through a portal that opened temporarily.
    I know theres people out there who dont want She-ra to still be He-mans sister. Im not She-ra's hugest fan, but that way of thinking about how its fine to mess with something so major in the mythos .. can't get my head around it
    What next? It seems every month lately there is something..

I totally agree with Nick about the Adora argument.
    There are plenty of ways around the conflicts the 2002 continuity created with the original one.
    We surely found some in the MVC series... Actually, belive it or not, Vol.3 story has a lot to do with how Adora was kidnapped...

But, back on topic, Hordak trapped in Despondos didn't prevent him for communicating with others.. So, why not commissioning Adora kidnap to someone else (seems pretty obvius who...).

I don't think anyone is communicating with MYP, mostly because there is not much left there. Most of the general direction and ideas came from Mattel.

But I'd be glad if any plan they had for Adora would be forgot for good.
    Having her not being Adam's twin sister wasn't something I wanted to see.

Yeah, a very nice looking figure!
    I am excited about EVERY figure we've seen pics of so far.
    Hordak was one of the last figures I got from the MOTU as a kid as I was getting a little older and money was tighter at home so there is a special place in my brain and heart for the Horde and Hordak figures.
    I am ready for a new figure every 2 weeks!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Hec-Tor Kur.....

oooookkkaayyyyy....

I might call him
    Hordak Kur (kinda like they had Zodac Zur)

But would have hoped more MOTU-ish name, like

Hex-Or Kur
    Hex-or Kur sounds a lot better to me! I can live with Hec-Tor Kur, if the emphasis isn't placed on the "Tor" but a strong emphasis on the "Kur". So it'll sound like Hec-toh Kur.

I agree not every MOTU character needs a real name! Either which way the figure is still amazing!

Still far more excited for mer man and Tri Klops...but they are my faves. But man does hordak looks frickin SWEET! I remember my Hordak form the days of old. Grade school christmas presants. We did the exchange names thing in school and the person who got my name got Him for me. That was a good day in the 4th grade to be sure
    Come on april,may,june,july parts 1 and 2 with the SDCC bonus fig, august, september...so on..you get the point. middle of the month is now the best part.

Once again..thank you Mattel

Oh and battle cat is going to rock!!!
    Find what you seek only when you look in the right places...

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    That's it. I'm burning all my cardbacks.
    My MOTUC top 10 wants (POST SDCC 2014):

Queen Angella - Hunga the Harpy - Peekablue - Toy Catra - Veena - Red Knight - Vultak - Dylamug - Sibyline - Kex Queen

Small creatures that need to happen: 3 main twiggets

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    The figure looks great! much better looking than the one on Matty's site - the red is brighter and he haS silver detail on his collar and the bones on his armor.

The name Hek-Tor Kur, does't bother me in the slightest, he's STILL Hordak, its a petty thing to get worked up over IMO. If they changed him totally to Hek-Tor - on the packaging as well, then I would have had issues!

One thing though...... Where's the EVIL HORDE sticker/logo?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    LOL! Good point! Didn't Toyguru say the factions were going to have their logo on the box? I guess plans changed...

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    It's possible the one on eBay is just a sample. A similar thing happened with the Stratos that showed up early, in that he had the other belt color.