Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: MotUC All Things Hordak, Pics and Discussion (Reg, Hurricane, Spirit)

Has anyone noticed that while the prototype in SDCC or NYCC (can´t remember which) has short furry pants like He-Man / Beastman / Merman, etc, the carded version have them long like King Grayskull ?

Soft.Delicious.Nutritious Matt79's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
    Has anyone noticed that while the prototype in SDCC or NYCC (can´t remember which) has short furry pants like He-Man / Beastman / Merman, etc, the carded version have them long like King Grayskull ?
    You are right. It must be a chinese bootleg. Mattel wouldn't create such silly names like "Evil Leader of the Evil Horde" or "Hec-Tor Kur", would they?

Like mentioned, maybe it is an early production sample and they used some left parts from previous figures. Maybe that's also the reason why there is no Horde logo on the package.
    Last edited by Matt79; March 24, 2009 at 04:24pm.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I like the KG Longer shorts, hopefully he uses the same 'longer legs' as KG too.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Maybe we can offer some constructive criticism and let them know "How to make Eternian sounding names" before more characters get Lucasian names. Maybe a thread or something.

I don't think Mattel needs any instruction on "Eternian Sounding Names" Since Eternia belongs to them.

if they say "Mike He-Man" is an Eternian name, well, it's Mattel's property, and "Mike He-Man" it is.

doesn't mean you can't ignore it.

would I like more effort?, perhaps, but as I have said before, I like Hec-Tor Kur.

I think it would be a good idea to toss out some names and let fans decide, but if they don't, well, as I said, I don't begrudge them for coming up with this stuff. It IS theirs.

What, I think thats ridiculous, why does Hordak even need new a 'real' name whats wrong with Hordak.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

I've got it! Rename him Hek-Kul Lor, evil hounder of Mattel convention panelists.

Quote Originally Posted by capitalzero View Post
    I understand people not liking the name, but it doesn't ruin the character, or change my opinion of him in any way.
    I think the name sucks but it's the armour that ruins him for me

Did people flip over Duncan? Kronis? Tuvar? Odiphus? Keldor?
    No. Because those were all good or at least average. Just wait King Hiss's name will be Timothy or Si-Mon

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    But, back on topic, Hordak trapped in Despondos didn't prevent him for communicating with others.. So, why not commissioning Adora kidnap to someone else (seems pretty obvius who...).
    Ram-Man?

Quote Originally Posted by capitalzero View Post
    I don't think Mattel needs any instruction on "Eternian Sounding Names" Since Eternia belongs to them.
    if they say "Mike He-Man" is an Eternian name, well, it's Mattel's property, and "Mike He-Man" it is.
    I think it would be a good idea to toss out some names and let fans decide, but if they don't, well, as I said, I don't begrudge them for coming up with this stuff. It IS theirs.
    See I disagree with this for a very simple reason.
    Mattel isn't an abstract entity, it isn't a sort of deus ex machina.
    It's made of people, and there are people, just like you and me, writing this bios.
    And those people aren't who originally created the characters.
    They happen to work for Mattel, which owns MOTU.
    Mattel owns the property, not the people working on it.

But so I think it's totally fair game to criticize their work and ask for better ideas and names (or no names at all, for a few of us).

There is a subtle difference many people are forgetting.
    The original material (no matter if minicomics or Filmation, etc) is what we fell in love with. Is what got almost everyone here now. It's why we call us He-fans.
    Everything, and I mean everything (I'd dare to say even after the New Adventures) is an afterthought.

Beign the original fans, we grow a little protective towards our love.
    It's absolutely normal.
    Because the mythology, the characters became part of our childhood and part of what we become.
    So, in a way, we feel, as fans, we "own" a little bit of MOTU too.

While the companies still own those Brands' legal rights, they should never forget how the heroes they created influenced the public.

That's why it's also so difficult to please people when bringing back a property for an adult audience like us.
    There is almost no way to get in touch with what made it so special in the first place.
    Someone, like the Four Horsemen, have that gift, and they are able to understand the property way deeper than any Mattel employe will propbably do.

And that's because Eric Treadaway is and was a fan just like us. He experienced MOTU like many of us.

So no one at Mattel is really guilty about this. It's something escaping any form of control.
    But, when we are told the series is for the fans, we expect probably much more than is being delivered.
    But of course I don't mean everything is crap.

Hordak bio may not be the bio I would have written, but it's written the way I would have written it: trying to tie loose ends and existing info in a coherent manner (and not ruling out Horde Prime!)
    So, kudos to Toyguru this time, that's the way to go.

But, would the bio be less interesting if there wasn't any real name?
    I think the answer is no.
    That's why I don't like the names: sometimes more is just too much.
    They may add something, but if there was no new names, would we really miss them?
    Ask yourself this question, and you'll have the answer to why we call them "unnecessary".

You heard it here first. Hordak or Hec-Tor Kur is Zodac's or Zodac-Zur brother. Horde Prime or Hen-ri Pur is their FATHER. Just an opinion but I'm trying to fit into the Mattel way of thinking here.
    Last edited by WENDIGO; March 24, 2009 at 09:22pm.

A big fan of Slush Head
    They may add something, but if there was no new names, we really have missed them?
    Ask yourself this questions, and you'll have the answer to why we call them "unnecessary".

Exactly!! I completely agree with you. Nicely put.
    It's just too much.
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

Maybe we should wait and see where all of this is going before we get too upset about the names. Based on Hordaks statement about helping to "build the three Towers of Eternia" I always had it in my head that maybe he wasn't always Hordak. Just a thought. They did say that they had a plan as far as continuity, so I'm fine with sitting back and watching where this is going before getting too upset.

Quote Originally Posted by Judeh Simon View Post
    That's it. I'm burning all my cardbacks.

Wow, first Razzmatazz, then Squidward, and now Hector! Oh well, who cares I guess, as long as the figures are awesome! More awesome figures less "real" names please.

So, where is The Evil Horde sticker ?

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/1/5...44923513_o.jpg
    MOTUC needs:Tung Lashor, Rio-Blast and rest of the Hordes!

WANTED: Minicomics !!! Swords NEEDED !!! MY FEEDBACK

Heroic Warrior
    See I disagree with this for a very simple reason.
    Mattel isn't an abstract entity, it isn't a sort of deus ex machina.
    It's made of people, and there are people, just like you and me, writing this bios.
    And those people aren't who originally created the characters.
    They happen to work for Mattel, which owns MOTU.
    Mattel owns the property, not the people working on it.

But so I think it's totally fair game to criticize their work and ask for better ideas and names (or no names at all, for a few of us).

There is a subtle difference many people are forgetting.
    The original material (no matter if minicomics or Filmation, etc) is what we fell in love with. Is what got almost everyone here now. It's why we call us He-fans.
    Everything, and I mean everything (I'd dare to say even after the New Adventures) is an afterthought.

Beign the original fans, we grow a little protective towards our love.
    It's absolutely normal.
    Because the mythology, the characters became part of our childhood and part of what we become.
    So, in a way, we feel, as fans, we "own" a little bit of MOTU too.

While the companies still own those Brands' legal rights, they should never forget how the heroes they created influenced the public.

That's why it's also so difficult to please people when bringing back a property for an adult audience like us.
    There is almost no way to get in touch with what made it so special in the first place.
    Someone, like the Four Horsemen, have that gift, and they are able to understand the property way deeper than any Mattel employe will propbably do.

And that's because Eric Treadaway is and was a fan just like us. He experienced MOTU like many of us.

So no one at Mattel is really guilty about this. It's something escaping any form of control.
    But, when we are told the series is for the fans, we expect probably much more than is being delivered.
    But of course I don't mean everything is crap.

Hordak bio may not be the bio I would have written, but it's written the way I would have written it: trying to tie loose ends and existing info in a coherent manner (and not ruling out Horde Prime!)
    So, kudos to Toyguru this time, that's the way to go.

But, would the bio be less interesting if there wasn't any real name?
    I think the answer is no.
    They may add something, but if there was no new names, would we really miss them?
    Ask yourself this question, and you'll have the answer to why we call them "unnecessary".
    Personally, I think turning Skeletor into He-Man & She-Ra's uncle is the epitome of the word unnecessary. People kioke about MOTU characters having George Lucus names, but don't complain about Uncle Skelly. I would say something about Adam, but as long as Queen Marlena is an Earthling, then his Earth name makes sense. Also, if Hordak is from another world, why can't he gave a real birth name? Makes more sense than being named after an empire that he's only the 2nd heir to.

A big fan of Slush Head
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuukka View Post

Yeah there is no sticker.
    I hope they change the name and put the sticker in the final product.
    But that's a long shot.
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

I think he looks awesome, but I wonder if we'll be getting the shorter loinclothe instead, I do like it better than the longer one. As far as the name is concerned, I don't like it but, I don't hate it either. I think it's just a little something more that adds to the character and you can either acknowledge it or dismiss it, your choice. I do, however love the bio and cannot wait to get my hands on He-ro.

I just thought of something and I may be wrong but I thought I'd bring it up, feel free to correct me. On Hordak's bio it says that King Grayskull banished Hordak to Despondos but on KG's bio it says KG fell to Hordak's magic. If King Grayskull fell to Hordak's magic how did he trap him on Despondos? I need to go back and check the Bio's but this seems inconsistant to me, did I miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by grenadaspice View Post
    Personally, I think turning Skeletor into He-Man & She-Ra's uncle is the epitome of the word unnecessary. People kioke about MOTU characters having George Lucus names, but don't complain about Uncle Skelly. I would say something about Adam, but as long as Queen Marlena is an Earthling, then his Earth name makes sense. Also, if Hordak is from another world, why can't he gave a real birth name? Makes more sense than being named after an empire that he's only the 2nd heir to.
    Skeletor being Adam/Adora's uncle is very Star Wars.
    "No... I am your uncle!"

And I hated it when it was hinted at in the classic mini-comics.
    But, as time goes on, I grew to accept the possibilities because a lot of universes work well with the coincidence factor (take most super hero stories, for example).

Still, the names?
    I dunno.

I'm like Havoc. Even as a kid, MAA being called Duncan didn't feel right to me.
    So I was never okay with the "real" names.

I know that position is a little confusing, being that we have Prince Adam.
    But I chalked that up to his Earth mother as the reason.
    Randor, Adora, etc... those sounded more Eternian to me.

There's no rule of thumb for this, I know.
    It's next to impossible to explain.
    There's a lot of gray areas in this theory.

I do agree with Emiliano, though.
    The folks who are creating the MOTUC world at Mattel are not the original creators.
    They are folks like us, who came on board and are ranging from fans to folks who know nothing about the MOTU world.

MOTU to me is like Star Wars, but without Lucas being around.
    Even with Star Wars, IMO, Lucas made a bad call.
    It was around 15 years between the original movies and the prequels.
    In that time, a whole slew of fan fiction, comics, novels, etc were made.
    Fan communities developed their own theories and reading licensed stories explaining history. They came to know and familiarize with these theories and stories.
    At that point, as far as I'm concerned, Star Wars ceased to be just Lucas'... it also became the fans in spirit (not legally, of course).
    I think he should have honored that long history of story telling with fans, and licensed products when making the prequels, even if it was his property.

If Lucas had just kept on trucking with the story, one year to the next, like with Harry Potter for example, it would be a different story.
    But it's that gap where the fans and licensees take over that turns the tide.

We're one step removed with MOTU.
    We have nearly 20 years of fans creating theories and accepted plot possibilities.
    For Mattel not to honor that, especially when the people creating the MOTUC world are not original creators of MOTU, is a step backwards IMO.

One can generalize and say, well the average person doesn't know what the fans knows, so it doesn't matter.
    But that holds true for anything.
    The average fan won't care either way.
    So why not respect the fans and licensees and the history they've created, as well as all of the history that already existed for MOTU that many of us know and love?

Mattel could have appeased the average person who doesn't care either way, while having an army of fans at Mattel's back toting the MOTU banner forward.
    Instead, they create stuff a lot of folks dislike or disagree about, and we end up with strife in the fan community.
    That ultimately reflects poorly on everyone... Mattel, fans and MOTU.

I just wish they'd do something brand new.
    Like completely new.
    A new chapter in the history of MOTU.
    Rather than rehashing the past or doing reboots, let's move forward.
    Then, the fans can have new stuff to explore, and it won't matter what the heck Mattel does because we can all enjoy what happens.

Oh well, that's just my opinion.
    I'm just one man, after all.
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    And here's hoping for the return of Power-Con!

I guess another reason I'm not cool with this is because to ME hordak is, was and will always be the supreme horde leader, and he named the Evil Horde after himself, trather than him being named for the horde. Like the Isley Brothers or Levert or Morgan Heritage, the groups were named after the family name. Even if I accept the horde prime thing, I still feel there is a reason they run the horde and a reason they named it such, Hord was always in the family name in a way so sure enough they decided to call their group the Horde. I don't see why it HAS to be the other way around.

I have no problem wiht "lucasing" the names but do it WELL. Kuduk Ungol, Teela'Na, Veena, Tuvar, Badhra, Odiphus these name to me are fine, but Hec-Tor I mean it's just BAD.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Recently moved to GA! Help! I need to know new people!
    LOL! Good point! Didn't Toyguru say the factions were going to have their logo on the box? I guess plans changed...
    They probably have to cut down on expenses for the Horde Logo since they have to pay the guy who came up with the name Hec-Tor Kur!
    By the Power... and For the Honor of GRAYSKULL!!!
    HE-MAN and SHE-RA Rules!!!

"Frustration is only felt when one realizes there is an option!"
    - Ancient One (BeastMaster: The Series; Fifth Element)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from MAGIC!
    - Clarke's Third Law

I liked all the other names they made up but this one is a bit too much.
    Why did they have to give him an Earth sounding name, they could have made up a weird name like they did for everyone else, But Hek-Tor? seriously?

How about something like Havuk-Dor or Hordor-Kur there is a TON of names that would work better than this.

On a side note. People who are worried about his armor being short and what is under it. I agree that it would have been better to have full armor but I have no problem with the shorter armor, and those that are worried about the black stomach part painted black, Think about Darth Vader. He has armor with a black bodysuit inbetween.
    I am pretty sure the 4H have done something under the armor to make everyone happy. I doubt they just painted it straight black. I think instead they might have painted on a type of bodysuit with a Horde logo on it under the armor much like the 200x figure had.

Heroic Warrior
    I compare the unveiling of these new names like finding out the names of famous pro wrestlers, if you're a fan. It's cool when you find out certain wrestler's names that are definitely using stage, or should I say, ring names, like Hulk Hogan being Terry Bollea and the Rock being Dwayne Johnson. But it just seems funny when you find out Chris Jericho is really Chris Irving or that Shawn Michealsl real name is Micheal Hickenbottom. And you all think Hordak has a bad birth name...lol.
    Last edited by grenadaspice; March 25, 2009 at 01:53am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    LOL! Good point! Didn't Toyguru say the factions were going to have their logo on the box? I guess plans changed...
    Yep. Probably another thing they tell us they changed their minds about though.

...and seriously, stop giving these characters real names!

I bet the original creators of these characters would DIE if they read these bios. Just like the Batman creator would have died (if he were alive at the time) if he could see what the Hale Berry movie did to Catwoman!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I bet the original creators of these characters would DIE if they read these bios. Just like the Batman creator would have died (if he were alive at the time) if he could see what the Hale Berry movie did to Catwoman!
    I would have thought they all commited mass suicide when the New Adventures line came out...lol. Naw, I'm just kiding, plus that was just another chapter in the Life and Times of He-Man, so probably not a good example.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Personally, I think turning Skeletor into He-Man & She-Ra's uncle is the epitome of the word unnecessary. People kioke about MOTU characters having George Lucus names, but don't complain about Uncle Skelly. I would say something about Adam, but as long as Queen Marlena is an Earthling, then his Earth name makes sense.
    Wow...I didn't think this was even questioned. MYP just took something that has hinted at in the original mini-comics and made it canon. I think it added the way more humanizing Keldor aspect to Skeletor, instead of going with the power hungry demon from another dimension who was always bad.

Also, if Hordak is from another world, why can't he gave a real birth name? Makes more sense than being named after an empire that he's only the 2nd heir to.
    Well, even that is unnecessary. An alien named Hordak founded an army that he named after himself called the Horde. By making Hec-Tor-Kur as the second heir, they just justified the real name by making "Hordak" a title. That was unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    ...and seriously, stop giving these characters real names!

The original creators would die if someone made their one-note characters into more fully fleshed out characters?

That's like lamenting that Batman was better off before "The Dark Knight Returns" or Batman the Animated Series. Sure the "Lucasian" names need to sound more Eternian and some are unnecessary, but some fans are actually against more stuff being written about characters who barely have any history in the first place.

Imagine when we get to Mekaneck or some character who really needs some layers.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; March 25, 2009 at 10:04am.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)