Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: MOTUC Visions: She-Ra

I see what you are saying and believe me I am grateful to be getting POP characters at all. But She-Ra was a unique sculpt back in the 80's. No other POP doll had the boots, arm gauntlets or chest sculpt that she did. She-Ra was the first thereby a fully unique sculpt. The rest of the line was more than likely based on her body type. Many of the POP dolls had there own unique sculpted features such as Angella, Castaspella, Mermista & Flutterina. Catra also had a unique sculpt with different arms, arm gauntlets and boots. I am fine with the other POP figures using parts from MOTUC She-Ra, because that is what originally happened (I think?) but I really don't want to see She-Ra with Teela's arms bands, gauntlets & boots. She deserves her own and as we can see from Emiliano's design they look great (IMO).
    Last edited by Angel-T; April 1, 2009 at 05:53am.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

That looks simply amazing. The detail on the boots and the wrist guards just give it that added flavor. Add He-Man's sword with a jewel in it and an updated version of her shield to keep in the same color scheme of the sword, and we can stick a fork in it. As far as her looking too muscular, I see She-Ra as having a similar body type to Wonder Woman, and there's been times where WW has looked almost as broad-shouldered and ripped like Chyna from the old WWF Attitude era and still retained her femminity. The musculature on this rendering of She-Ra doesn't even come close to that extreme and it's a great balance.

I just really hope we get the Filmation type tiarra/crown versus the big over grown one that made her look like dumbo in the original figure/doll.

I don't see why they can't use the same design as the 200x version exclusive. All of the Pop figure's leg articulation will be hindered due to the use of the doll designs. Almost every doll had a snap on skirt. I hope they can somehow work around this. I don't want her to turn out like the Dc Big Barda figure who can't even move her legs due to her skirt.

Yeah, I wish we could get a She-Ra like this - she looks amazing!

But please stop teasing us - give us Adora!

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    But please stop teasing us - give us Adora!
    You're right, and a week has passed so here is Adora:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...52#post2085952

OMG she is amazing!!!!!!!!!!! I want her, just breathtaking Emiliano!
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    I'm totally for Sculpted hair only in MOTUC line. It's just my way of drawing hairs I guess.
    And it looks totally awesome! I was just reading too much into it, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    I am fine with the other POP figures using parts from MOTUC She-Ra, because that is what originally happened (I think?) but I really don't want to see She-Ra with Teela's arms bands, gauntlets & boots. She deserves her own and as we can see from Emiliano's design they look great (IMO).
    Since you know that She-Ra had unique parts in the original line, I'm not sure what you mean by "that is what originally happened." I think the only part of the original She-Ra that was reused in the line was probably her hip section. The legs, arms, and torso all had to be different whenever the boots, costume, and gauntlets changed. The dolls I remember seeing were all different in those areas, and they had snap on garments to cover the reused hips. With MOTUC they can now reuse more of the arms and legs and only have to change below the elbows and knees, but that's more changing than they've had to do with a lot of the MOTU guys.
    Last edited by gbagok; April 4, 2009 at 10:21am.

She looks fantastic! Excellent job Emiliano.

Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    She's perfection! Only this is I don't understand where her cape is attaching?
    I'd like to know this as well.

You know what, now that I think of it there was a She-ra electronic toothbrush set that had a non articulated She-ra figure with it. The figure was the exact design of the cartoon. Does anyone know if this was produced by Mattel. Because if it was, I'm assuming they can use the Filmation design. If I can find a picture of it I will post it.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    I'd like to know this as well.
    Said above

Quote Originally Posted by eurorko View Post
    You know what, now that I think of it there was a She-ra electronic toothbrush set that had a non articulated She-ra figure with it. The figure was the exact design of the cartoon. Does anyone know if this was produced by Mattel. Because if it was, I'm assuming they can use the Filmation design. If I can find a picture of it I will post it.
    It wan't Mattel, it was a licensor.
    Still, Mattel used to license that She-Ra looks for the lincesed products, not the toy one.
    But it doesn't look to be an valid argument for Mattel.

....is Mattel even looking for a valid argument?

It seems to me they'd rather just stay 100 feet away from the Filmation She-Ra looks rather than try and find a solution.

Not trying to stir the pot...but really...has Mattel ever said they were really trying to find a way?

EDIT: It won't be worth their time and money (at least not as I see it) to remake She-Ra figures based on their old Mattel designs. I just don't see more than a small handful of people putting money down for those.

These designs would definitely bring in a healthy number of interested parties, He-collectors and She-Ravers alike.
    Last edited by DisneyBoy; April 7, 2009 at 04:40pm.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post

EDIT: It won't be worth their time and money (at least not as I see it) to remake She-Ra figures based on their old Mattel designs. I just don't see more than a small handful of people putting money down for those.

These designs would definitely bring in a healthy number of interested parties, He-collectors and She-Ravers alike.
    I wouldn't be too quick to throw out such a judgment, without seeing just what the Four Horsemen could do with the toy designs, or a toy/filmation mix on the designs.

I actually like the PoP toy designs for the most part. I'm really excited to see how they'll look as a consistent part of the MotUC line with sculpted hair and plastic capes and skirts n' such. But that's my opinion.

But yeah, bottom line, no use ruffling feathers and getting antsy about how they'll look until we see one of them. I've no doubt that the 4HM are aware of how much the fanbase wants as close to filmation as possible designs, and will do what they can. But we fans have to understand that full blown filmation designs aren't gonna fly. We've been told that from day 1 basically.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    I wouldn't be too quick to throw out such a judgment, without seeing just what the Four Horsemen could do with the toy designs, or a toy/filmation mix on the designs.

I actually like the PoP toy designs for the most part. I'm really excited to see how they'll look as a consistent part of the MotUC line with sculpted hair and plastic capes and skirts n' such. But that's my opinion.

But yeah, bottom line, no use ruffling feathers and getting antsy about how they'll look until we see one of them. I've no doubt that the 4HM are aware of how much the fanbase wants as close to filmation as possible designs, and will do what they can. But we fans have to understand that full blown filmation designs aren't gonna fly. We've been told that from day 1 basically.
    I'm with you, I kind of dig the toy designs (for the most part). I think the 4HM are gonna show us the full potential of those designs, and I for one can't wait to see 'em.

Baena: I'm also psyched to see how the Four Horsemen handle the POP girls (came out wrong) and have faith that they'll produce a figure that is awesome.

BUUUUUUTTTT Disneyboy has a point.

Filmation's version of She-Ra is generally the most well known and I daresay, loved.

The POP Action figures never even made it to South Africa; I have never seen one in real life and so have little love for it and absolutely no warm fuzzy nostalgia feelings towards it.

I may be wrong but I think the same can be said for lots of international He-Fans and She-Ravers.

It's a difficult task but ultimately I think the design is going to have to lean more towards Filmation's than the toy's if it is to be well received.
    A fabulous new wardrobe was revealed to me the day I held aloft my sword and said...

Heroic Warrior
    I desperately want a REAL version of She-ra, with the Filmation head piece. They did it for the last She-ra release, so why can't they do it now? And I agree that they don't seem to be trying so hard. Maybe they're reading all of this and laughing, ready to make us eat our words for the awesome 25th unveiling. I really hope so. I'll buy it regardless, but... we *need* filmation She-ra. Same for Glimmer, Angella, and Castaspella. Glimmer is the third most important one to me, aside from She-ra and Adora.

Cyn

I think there are good design elements in the original POP figures and I would like to see a 50 / 50 split of the Filmation design and classic toy designs on the POP girls. I still think She-Ra should be 100% Filmation in design and Mattel should do whatever they need to to make that happen. Emilliano's She-Ra design takes the best of both designs. I always loved the detailed arm gauntlets & boots over the plain cartoon versions, but loved the cartoon heels.

Baena's design shows that the classic design can work really well when combined with the Filmation head dress and other small Filmation influances. The bottom line for me is if She-Ra is not recognisable as She-Ra I don't think fans will accept her. For that to happen there has to be some kind of Filmation influance in her design (at the very minimum the tiara, cloak, & heels on her boots), the 2k design would be a happy medium (IMO), minus the teela arm bands and using the classic POP She-Ra arm gauntles & boots with heels. However, in my head I just can't get rid of the panic that says Barbie-Ra is coming back in 2010.

But ultemately I know She-Ra is in the hands of the 4H and they will do her right, they know there are incredably high expectations of She-Ra in this line, I don't think any other figure has had such discussion and attention. The Princess of Power is certianly a contraversal lady. People have been talking about MOTUC She-Ra all over the web, if Mattel allow the 4H to sculpt She-Ra in the right way there could very well be a whole new audience for these girls.

Sexy, powerfull famale action figures sell! I just hope that POP gets a fare crack of the whip this time around, because For The Honour of Grayskull! it seriously deserves it!
    Last edited by Angel-T; May 2, 2009 at 08:53am.

Heroic Warrior
    Dear Emiliano,

Your She-Ra is SO close to the classic cartoon character, but even better !

I'm totally for your She-Ra concept !

Mattel sure misses your fabulous talent... YOU are the one who should be with the 4 Horsemen to direct this line on the aesthetic part !

I just wonder... maybe some of the awesome custom artists of the forum might give a try at your She-Ra as a figure. I just can't wait to see the result !

I am sure as soon as Teela is released we will see customs of Emilliano's version of She-Ra poping up on the boards, Hopefully the 4H will sculpt her in such a way that Filmation fans can warm to her & if not then at least make the figure so it wouldn't be too much work for customisers to work her closer to the Filmation likeness.
    Last edited by Angel-T; May 4, 2009 at 06:43pm.