Thread: Am I The Only One Who Doesn't Dig The Snake Men?

Hybrid View

Am I The Only One Who Doesn't Dig The Snake Men?

I grew up with the 80's Masters Of The Universe from the beginning until about 1986. Since that was the case, the only Snake Man I had was Kobra Kahn. While I enjoyed the 2002 cartoon for the most part(their version of He-Man was so bland, he felt like a background character and Filmation's is the only Orko I recognize), it really killed any love I had for it when they turned the focus to the Snake Men. Besides having a group who all share similar designs seemed a little "meh", unlike the Horde or Skeletor's crew, none of them had the charisma of the other villains. Am I alone in hoping the Snake Men don't play as large a part in the new mythos in whatever form of media the MOTUC franchise branches out into? I think I'd rather see the Meteorbs play a bigger part than endure another cartoon or comic where the Snake Men push either Skeletor's crew or the Horde out of the way.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

in the 2000 toon i must say there werent to many charachters that showed the heart that the 80s toon and that includes the snake men. they were defenitly pushed to hard in season 2 where there should of been more skeletor and his evil warriar involvement or hordack men
    "always believe in yerself"
    dont be someone yer not

I am not really a big lover of Hiss and co but they were cool as characters just not my faviorates. However I dug the Rattlor toy! It's probably because Filmation did not touch on them. If they had my attitude would probably be different. But King Hiss and the Snakes are just as much a part of the brand as POP & NA (IMO). MYP & MVC did give them some good story lines. I will buy Hiss, Rattlor, Toung Lasher and Cobra Cahan in MOTUC, don't know about the others.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Here, we're dealing with MOTU CLASSICS, which means that the Snakemen should be based on their 80's counterparts.

I think the Snakemen hold a very special place in MOTU, and personally, I cannot wait to see the new Tung Lashor, which has always been my favorite Snakeman !

As for Kobra Khan, I hope they will leave the possibility of his cobra "hood"...

There are 5 leaders in the MOTU universe (He-Man, Skeletor, HOrdak, King Hiss and She-Ra). He-Man & Skeletor have already been released, Hordak will be released in June, and She-Ra will apparently be released in the beginning of 2010. So I believe that King Hiss could be released soon too... I think it's a great idea to release the leaders as quick as possible, since they hold a major role in the story and in the MOTU universe.

I'd love to see them show up in MOTUC.

I will agree they were pushed too hard in the MYP cartoon. Having them shoved down our throats like that did make them seem a bit boring. However, there were a few very good episodes featuring Snakemen. Had they not have been over used I think we would all be remembering those few episodes fondly.

With that said, I am totally with Spector. I am really looking forward to Tung Lashor. Being one of my favorites as a child, due to his color scheme and action feature; I was very displeased with his 2002 look. His personality in the cartoon annoyed me as well. (not as bad as Clawful...but not great either.)

Also...King Hiss deserves a good toy!

So Bring on Tung Lashor and Hiss!

Also Snakeface I'd really like to see in MOTUC. None of the others are exciting me much, except for Blast Attack if you choose to count him as a Snakeman. I do...but that is neither here nor there.

I was just wondering to myself today if we would see any Snakes in 09.
    Click on Amazon or Barnes and Noble for a free sample of my first book, Paradigm Shift Saga: Malediction!

A short story of monsters and magic!

I think if they keep to the story of preternia and He-ro the Snakemen will be alot cooler and indepth.

and the MYP cartoon is the best dam cartoon ever.
    http://http://80sMasters.com/
    It's your place for Freedom of Speach for everything MOTU, POP, TMNT, , Horror, Wrestling, DC and Batman, and all other properties that are cool.
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Never was a big fan of the Snakes either ... but still they deserve a spot in this line aswell.
    After King Hsss, the two, Rattlor and Tung joined Hordak, so maybe I'll place those two behind Hordak, as part of the Horde - when resieved.
    To me Kobra has always been, and will always be, one of Skeletors men.
    Armageddon will soon be here,
    the sinners will meet their fate.
    But I am calm and without fear,
    as I feed upon my hate.

I loved King Hiss. And I love Kobra Khan. And other than being a "Snake Man" I never considered Kobra Khan a Snakeman. But I Loved how MYP Did him. A 'lowly' decendant of the "true" Snakemen. Serving Skeletor, just trying to get by, but desperate to get acknowledgement from the Old Original guard Snakemen.

Though I'll buy the figures, and they'll be beautiful (probably) I never really cared about them, With Snakeface being my least favourite.

Oh, incedentally about MYP I also love the idea of them being Preternian and MOTUC squarly placing them as such (I believe) is fine with me. A potential new threat from the past for He-Man, but not a big bad (unlike the MYP) is what I"m hoping for.

I actually hope Kobra Khan doesnt have the "Snakemen" sticker. Oh dont get me wrong, I wont begrudge it if they did, as I'm sure there's someone out there just sweating "Finally" getting him as an official snakeman, but I just think of him as Skeletor's minion.

OH and Mekanek is way better than Rattlor.

I loved all of the Snake Men and Horde members back in the 80's. I can't wait to see them all eventually made in this line!!

I like the old-school King Hiss and Snake Face.

I completely agree mr shock
    I liked kobra Kahn but I think the rest of the snakes are kinda boring

I never had a problem with the Snakemen. They were never as powerful as The Horde but they added another element to the battle for Eternia.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Heroic Warrior
    I've never been a huge fan of snakemen, I accept them even if I'd live without them either. In my MOTU canon are not so powerful and important as they were in MYP cartoon anyway..... I'm more an horde fan.

Well, I loved the Snake-Men when I was a child and I still like them a lot! Snakes are cool! Not as cool as the Horde though.

edDy
    Evil is a point of view - Lestat in Interview with the Vampire

See my trading feedback here: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eedback-Thread

I wasn't alowed to have any of the snake men when I was a kid, and I have no idea why and I still can't get a clear answer out of my dad. The only figures I had were King Hiss/Hssss and Blast Attack (he was part of the snake men right?) and I think that's cause my dad didn't notice that King Hiss came apart and I convinced him Blast Attack was a robot.

Anyway they weren't that important to me in the 80s incarnation especially since we only got Kahn, Tongue Lasher and Rattlor in the toons. However in the 200x toon I fell in love with them, and it made me love the Horde even more. Hordak actually killing a minion that displeased him instead of dunking him in water. King Hssss being a bad--- actually *EATING* people and just generally whopping everyone's butt made them much more important to me simply because they used them as a way of maturing the franchise with the audience that grew up with them.

I can't wait for them to come out in Classics. I know there aren't any action features but King Hsss needs a human form and his snake form other wise to me it would be just like the She-Ra figure in the 80s oh look... she's got her head gear on, she's She-Ra oh wait it fell off now she's Adora. Hsss needs to have both forms somehow.

I want Rattlor and Tongue Lasher too, well I want all of the Snakemen but I really want these two because over the years they played all factions. One second they were Evil Warriors, the next Snakemen, the next Hordesmen. I hope the sculpts for these two are really good cause I'll have to get at least 3 of each because I'll have no idea where they'll stand... literally.

I'm Anime Hyper-Detailed Battle_Brak's Avatar
    I grew up with MOTU but not Filmation (just didn't air on the local TV when I was little), and I'm not the biggest fan of the Snakemen. I never owned any of them as a child, and I seem to recall finding them scary or creepy as a kid. I was always far more into the Horde and Skeletor's crew. While I love 200X I feel the whole Snakemen subline and plot was the weakest part of that line.

Quote Originally Posted by Battle_Brak View Post
    While I love 200X I feel the whole Snakemen subline and plot was the weakest part of that line.
    I feel this way. I like the idea and concept of the Snakemen- but because of the rushed nature of second season MYP- I have this love hate relationship with them.

I really like Kobra Khan and Rattlor.
    Hiss was decent, but needed to be fleshed out more. He lacked Skeletor's screen presents. Tung Lashor and Sqeeeze didn't have enough screen time to judge one way or another- still like them because of the salad=Mossman joke. Snakeface- he didn't have any personality and he was too powerful (I agree the power should wear off). I feel most of problems I have with them would have been solved with a full 24 episode season instead of cramming them into half of a 13 episode season.

My biggest problem with the whole Snakemen saga was how that Zodak became the "hero" of second season. They never completed Zodak's change in personality- he stared an angry man, he ended an angry man, and He-man congratulated him for it! I'll take MAA upstaging He-man any day over Zodak any day!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I used to hate the Snake Men. When I first got all three of them as a present, I read the mini-comic and said "***"? They just didn't seem so threatening back then, since their numbers were so low. Actually, they seemed like generic Lizardmen.

They originally were just more Evil Warriors and all had corny powers...King Hiss was basically a pile of snakes, Rattlor and Tung Lashor seemed really ridiculous in She-Ra's cartoon. The Snakes collectively not being featured in any television media didn't help (I'm guessing this might be the same for the other 1986-88 characters who never made it to Filmation's cartoon). I'd guess not featuring the Snakes as a group in any Filmation cartoon might have given the Snakes a "I'm not getting them since they were never in the cartoon factor" that many fans might have decided on.

Maybe the fans who always thought that the Snake Men were garbage were unprepared for seeing such "worthless characters" suddenly become overnight badasses in 200X? Hordak was always portrayed as the ultimate villain from jump because he was Skeletor's teacher and even Skeletor feared him, adding to Hordak's rep as being far worse. Originally, King Hiss and two other dudes were so much of a non-factor, the Snake Men had to immediately team-up with Skeletor. Even worse, Hiss needed one of Skeletor's men to give this new faction some weight. It's akin with teaming up with Skeletor because you have nowhere else to go...

200X changed my attitude toward them as now, not only were they not some more throwaway dorks working for Skeletor, but they were an actual threat, making some of the laughable abilities more threatening. I can understand why they would be pretty powerful, as there are only six of them (God forbid Mattel made any more Snake Men as toys; the fans would have a fit!), but they did go a bit overboard at times (regeneration in the dark, underwater modes, etc.) it was like, "what couldn't the Snake Men do"?
    But now, I could see how the 200X Snake Men were such terrors. Not only did he turn everyone the Snake Men encountered into Snake Men (adding to their legions), the Snake Men were additionally very powerful.

As for the Snake Face issue, his "Medusa gaze" was too powerful. He could sideline a character permanently very easily. Not even He-Man himself could do this. Maybe in time, it would have been changed somehow to a temporary ability.

On the Snake Men having a whole season to runamuck: I think it's only fair, seeing as though the Horde would have been doing the same thing if there was a Season Three.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Collector of Toys 4 Life
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Maybe the fans who always thought that the Snake Men were garbage were unprepared for seeing such "worthless characters" suddenly become overnight badasses in 200X? Hordak was always portrayed as the ultimate villain from jump because he was Skeletor's teacher and even Skeletor feared him, adding to Hordak's rep as being far worse. Originally, King Hiss and two other dudes were so much of a non-factor, the Snake Men had to immediately team-up with Skeletor. Even worse, Hiss needed one of Skeletor's men to give this new faction some weight. It's akin with teaming up with Skeletor because you have nowhere else to go...

200X changed my attitude toward them as now, not only were they not some more throwaway dorks working for Skeletor, but they were an actual threat, making some of the laughable abilities more threatening. I can understand why they would be pretty powerful, as there are only six of them (God forbid Mattel made any more Snake Men as toys; the fans would have a fit!), but they did go a bit overboard at times (regeneration in the dark, underwater modes, etc.) it was like, "what couldn't the Snake Men do"?
    But now, I could see how the 200X Snake Men were such terrors. Not only did he turn everyone the Snake Men encountered into Snake Men (adding to their legions), the Snake Men were additionally very powerful.

As for the Snake Face issue, his "Medusa gaze" was too powerful. He could sideline a character permanently very easily. Not even He-Man himself could do this. Maybe in time, it would have been changed somehow to a temporary ability.

On the Snake Men having a whole season to runamuck: I think it's only fair, seeing as though the Horde would have been doing the same thing if there was a Season Three.
    I have to agree with most everything here.

i don't agree with snakeface being too powerful though, since his power could very easily backfire, turning it into a major weakness. As it was exploited in the minicomics, and myp toon. how is that any more powerful than turning poeple into snakemen, or even eating them? to me it's the same thing.

He-man's power sword could easily reverse the 'medusa' effects, even when he-man was turned to stone, so i don't see why it's such an issue. Why should every villan be easily vanquished by the hero, and be a bunch of pushovers?
    What attracted me to snakeface to begin with was the fact that, of all the many motu villans, there was finally one guy who could actually pose a real threat to He-man. The rest are merely pushovers, and have no powers that could even be remotely any threat to He-man. Even skeletor's magic is nothing compared to a guy who can turn you to stone by looking at you.

i never saw the 'medusa gaze' as a permanent lasting effect, but rather one that would wear off in an hour or so. Not unlike mantenna's paralyzing eye beams in SOTS. Or maybe He-man would be nearly immune to it and be able to break free, like he does with everything else. plus if Snakeface is turning one guy to stone, the others can easily jump in & take him out, so no issue there either. He-man would just touch the 'stone' character with his sword and all is well again.
    snakeface was beaten in what, a few seconds? not so powerful imo, if it killed him & rendered him useless for good.

He-man has nothing that could be used to backfire against him, nor does he have any major weaknesses; so imo, they need a villan who can actually pose a threat and actually have a chance at defeating him one on one. So that's where snakeface comes in, to me; because quite frankly, there isn't a single character in motu, or pop (never watched NA so not sure) who can go toe to toe with He-man and have even a remote chance of winning, save for the Sorceress or Zodak perhaps...i bet even the sorceress would get laid out by He-man in a one on one fight. not sure about Zodak though....He-man held his own against him in the myp series.

as for the snakemen, i guess i was one of those who liked the toys for what they were. I would have loved to have seen them in animated form back in the day, along with alot of other characters who never got put in animated form. It would have made me buy scarglow, ninjor & a few others perhaps. i'm a sucker for villans, especially if they have their own 'mold'. Maybe that's why i never got a scareglow, randor, clampchamp, ninjor etc. I did get snout spout, rio blast, & extendar though since those had unique molds. i wasn't much into the reused parts thing by the end of the vintage toyline. To me the best vintage figures are the ones made with their own molds, and not recycled parts.
    Anyway, the more villans the better imo, and the more small groups the better also. i like the idea of the various villans groups not getting along too well, but joining together on occasion to fight He-man.

contrary to what others believe, perhaps skeletor's crew is the weakest 'faction'. Maybe that's why he has alot more warriors than hordak & hiss, not counting the generic 'troops'. the Horde is a decent sized group, but the snakemen are only 6 members (unless you count blast Attak). if the 6 of them can do the job that makes them the better group imo. their powers seemed more natural & biologically based rather than having yet another magic leader with guys who can talk to beasts & fish. powers like that are useless in the heat of battle. just ask aquaman how useful his powers are when he's fighting on land and there's no fish to talk to.
    Lifelong fan of: MOTU, G.I.Joe, Transformers, most 'good' movies of any genre, Star Wars, oldies/classic rock & country music, WWE/WWF/WCW/NWA wrestling, old school circus sideshow performers & fictional movie 'creatures', my friends and family. oh, yes...and I love action figures!!!!!

Support MVCreations for MOTUC!!!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Multibot View Post
    I have to agree with most everything here.

i don't agree with snakeface being too powerful though, since his power could very easily backfire, turning it into a major weakness. As it was exploited in the minicomics, and myp toon. how is that any more powerful than turning poeple into snakemen, or even eating them? to me it's the same thing.

He-man's power sword could easily reverse the 'medusa' effects, even when he-man was turned to stone, so i don't see why it's such an issue. Why should every villan be easily vanquished by the hero, and be a bunch of pushovers?
    What attracted me to snakeface to begin with was the fact that, of all the many motu villans, there was finally one guy who could actually pose a real threat to He-man. The rest are merely pushovers, and have no powers that could even be remotely any threat to He-man. Even skeletor's magic is nothing compared to a guy who can turn you to stone by looking at you.

i never saw the 'medusa gaze' as a permanent lasting effect, but rather one that would wear off in an hour or so. Not unlike mantenna's paralyzing eye beams in SOTS. Or maybe He-man would be nearly immune to it and be able to break free, like he does with everything else. plus if Snakeface is turning one guy to stone, the others can easily jump in & take him out, so no issue there either. He-man would just touch the 'stone' character with his sword and all is well again.
    snakeface was beaten in what, a few seconds? not so powerful imo, if it killed him & rendered him useless for good.
    That's how I saw it. The thing is, if you didn't have the Power Sword or a mage type character (Skeletor, Hordak, King Hiss, Sorceress, Castaspella, Marzo or even Orko), you were screwed, making having a spell caster a necessity.

He-man has nothing that could be used to backfire against him, nor does he have any major weaknesses; so imo, they need a villan who can actually pose a threat and actually have a chance at defeating him one on one. So that's where snakeface comes in, to me; because quite frankly, there isn't a single character in motu, or pop (never watched NA so not sure) who can go toe to toe with He-man and have even a remote chance of winning, save for the Sorceress or Zodak perhaps...i bet even the sorceress would get laid out by He-man in a one on one fight. not sure about Zodak though....He-man held his own against him in the myp series.
    In MYP, He-Man never battled King Hiss. I have a belief that He-Man would have increased in experience and power over time, making a more dramatic experience than He-Man taking the "big bad" of the episode and giant swinging him over the horizon. Eventually, He-Man might have been fighting either King Hiss and Hordak one on one. But he wasn't at that point yet when the series ended.

contrary to what others believe, perhaps skeletor's crew is the weakest 'faction'. Maybe that's why he has alot more warriors than hordak & hiss, not counting the generic 'troops'. the Horde is a decent sized group, but the snakemen are only 6 members (unless you count blast Attak). if the 6 of them can do the job that makes them the better group imo. their powers seemed more natural & biologically based rather than having yet another magic leader with guys who can talk to beasts & fish. powers like that are useless in the heat of battle. just ask aquaman how useful his powers are when he's fighting on land and there's no fish to talk to.
    Hmmmm...I always considered Blast Attak a Skeletor warrior. I guess it's from his appearance in STAR comics, which pre-dated his toy. He wasn't a robot, he was a rowdy ass, arrogant cyborg who didn't blow up, but he could split in half. Totally different character than the one in the mini-comic.

Anyhow, I think you're right. Skeletor's faction is the weakest. If not for He-Man, (and add in really powerful characters like Zodak, Sy-Klone and Moss Man), the Heroic Warriors would be the weakest, since the Evil Warriors really had them on the ropes before He-Man arrived.

So on the totem pole is:

The Horde (Hordak defeated the Snake Men in ancient times)
    The Snake Men (King Hiss didn't think much of He-Man and He-Man never beat King Hiss)
    The Heroic Warriors (If it weren't for He-Man, they would be lower)
    The Evil Warriors

MOTU's threats have always gotten progressively worse...that's probably why the Snake Men were introduced before the Horde was. Imagine what an afterthought the Snake Men would have been after the Horde showed up?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    In MYP, He-Man never battled King Hiss.
    Yes, he did...