Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I The Only One Who Doesn't Dig The Snake Men?

The Demon of Screamin' JonnyTyler's Avatar
    I never cared for the snake men either. The only one I had as a kid was Tung Lasher, and that was only because I thought he looked cool, and I loved his colors and action feature. Never had any desire to have any of the others. They were boring and stupid to me. And Kobra Khan was always an Evil Warrior, not a Snake Man. Ever.

I was a Horde boy all the way though!!!
    Please Give My MOTUC Sale Thread A Look! http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...easts-For-Sale
    I have a new Thread in the Vintage Marketplace! Check it out!! http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=209217
    Here's my Trader's Review too: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ght=Jonnytyler

I'm not very big fan of snake men either, except for Snake Face who was one of my first baddies when I was a small boy.

- Joni -
    "My grandfather had a saying: 'Good news can wait. Bad news will refuse to leave.'" - Commander Susan Ivanova (Babylon 5)

Admin @ The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club
    Join our community at:
    The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club

* My MOTU memories
    * My MOTU collection images

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I'm a fan of the Snakemen!

I prefer them over the Horde anyday. I like the old versions, but the 200X story for them was really nicely done and was very enjoyable - however short it was.

I hope we get some Snakesss soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    If they do that, they should port Bravestarr over as well. Not only would he fit well with Rio Blast, it could expand MOTUC from just Eternia centric characters. They are supposed to be Masters Of The Universe and not just of Eternia.
    Oh definately. I'd like to see Sandstorm (another Snakemen?) and perhaps a few other figures that never had toys.

Hmm... I wonder if Filmation have the rights to those figures or if Mattel does...

Edit: The rights are with Filmation, not Mattel. I have no idea who has those rights now.
    Last edited by Novelty; March 29, 2009 at 07:42am.
    Got Fur

I want a Glimmer by the end of 2012 and Extendar by 2013!
    Other Wants:
    MotU: Rokkon, Stonedar, Dragstor, Modulok, Multi-bot, Horde Trooper, DB Skeletor
    PoP: Peekablue, Madam Razz, Lighthope, Kowl
    NA: Quakke, Sagitarr
    MYP: Hawk, Queen Andreenos, Lord Dactys
    Mini-Comics: Kex Queen, Tug-of-War Yellow Warrior, King Hiss' Slave Girl

I like the old-school King Hiss and Snake Face.

Heroic Warrior
    I never liked King Hiss. To me he is the weakest toy of the lot. I think the orginal and the 200x figure was lame - althought I like the version in the MYP cartoon. If the four horsemen are going to do the King Hiss I'd like to see a hint of the cartoon character rather than the 200x version mixed in with the original.

As for the rest of the Snake Men - i really liked them, especially Tung Lashor - although i was alway disappointed Filmations version of him bore NO resemblace to the toy.

Court Magician
    I hate the snakemen toys both old and new, and I absoluetly hated the fact that the remaining episodes of the 200x cartoon where about the snakemen in a rush by mattel to see if they could save the declining line by rushing the snakemen toys and show. The one show that was about the horde and mythology of grayskull was the best of the series.

I like Tung Lasher, but the only snake dude I REALLY care that we get, is Kobra Khan, and he isn't part of the Snake-Men. I am in the same boat in that the Snake-Men are a bit after the time I lost interest in the original line. That, and most of their designs don't do much for me.

I will have to wait and see how the figures would like. Especially since the Snakemen will will require newly tooled bodies to be made.
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Collector of Toys 4 Life
    Quote Originally Posted by GrtEternal View Post
    Even though Squuezzze is my fave of all Snake Men. The 80's figure, not the statue. As a group, they don't really have much variety compared to the Evil Warriors or The Evil Horde!

They're just all snakes, different species of snakes, but just snakes nevertheless.

Skeletor has mammals, reptiles, amphibians and insects on his command. Same as Hordak's, and everyone has thier own uniqueness. Snake Men has thier own too, but you really have to see it beyond thier scales to really notice!
    Gee, i wonder if it has something to do with them being called 'Snakemen'?? Could that be why they're all snakes? HMMMM..... such a mystery..... funniest comment I've seen all day!

I liked the snakemen, (toys) but not so much how they were portrayed in the toons. At least they did get their chance (at long last) in the myp toon, and did seem a bit overpowering; but that's the intention obviously. Of course any 'new' group added has to seem to be more a threat than the previous group, which is why they were portrayed as being more dangerous than Skeletor's warriors. Plus Hiss had a much larger army than skeletor ever had.

It would have been awesome to have seen the show continue and have Hordak & co. show up and have an all out brawl with every faction involved. I hated that they got rid of snake-face so quickly (he's my fave of the snakemen, and one of my fave motu figures in general), they could have turned him back to normal just as easily. But otherwise a great job in bringing them to animated life and making them a real threat & giving He-man someone else to try to defeat other than Skeletor & the random human magician villans.

Maybe it's just me, but I think snakes are more dangerous than beasts, robots, birds, fish etc. they're venomous (some of them anyway) and hard to see till they bite you. Yeah, I'd like to think the snakemen would be a bigger threat than Skeletor's guys & even the horde. Just because the Horde come from another world doesn't make them any more threatening...they're just more alien, and that's it. He-man can kick their ass just as easily as Skeletor's.

No, I do want to see the snakemen made soon, just as i'd like to see every character made. Except the meteorbs...those can stay gone for good...they never seemed to be part of motu to me, despite their one attempt at advertising them on she-ra. I'm on the fence with the 80's movie figs too....

As the 'age-old' saying goes, 'If you don't like them, don't buy them'. There will be many of us who will buy them though.
    Lifelong fan of: MOTU, G.I.Joe, Transformers, most 'good' movies of any genre, Star Wars, oldies/classic rock & country music, WWE/WWF/WCW/NWA wrestling, old school circus sideshow performers & fictional movie 'creatures', my friends and family. oh, yes...and I love action figures!!!!!

Support MVCreations for MOTUC!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    As kid I liked Tung Lashor, but honestly I thought that he was frog, not snake. And snake face was also cool, he wasn't really a snake, but very scary enemy with no real eyes.

I hated too that snakemen were made so powerful in 200x, it's silly that good guys had some hard time with Skeletors warriors but then they need to fight these snakemen who didn't really even need to fight hard against Skellys goonies.

I wasn't that fond of them as a group back then; in fact, I don't think I even considered them a "group." I only had King Hiss, Rattlor and (just like a bunch of other folks on this thread so far) Tung Lasher. I liked those figures pretty well (Tung Lasher especially) but I don't think I ever put King Hiss in any place of importance. I seem to remember using him in a horror movie type fashion, with him slowly losing his armor until it's revealed that he's a horrible monster! I think I had 'em go crazy in snake form as well.

Anyhow, I don't have any animosity toward the Snakemen, but I don't have any special love for them either. I guess I'm indifferent. They had some cool figures, but the Horde and Skeletor's faction always piqued my interest more than the Snakemen.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

I completely agree mr shock
    I liked kobra Kahn but I think the rest of the snakes are kinda boring

I never had a problem with the Snakemen. They were never as powerful as The Horde but they added another element to the battle for Eternia.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Heroic Warrior
    I've never been a huge fan of snakemen, I accept them even if I'd live without them either. In my MOTU canon are not so powerful and important as they were in MYP cartoon anyway..... I'm more an horde fan.

I won't be purchasing any snake men. That being said I feel their portrayal in the MYP series (along with everything else) was great, and I came to accept them. Previously I lumped them in with the many of the post-'84 wave characters which I mostly consider ridiculous.
    I also consider season 2 to have been when the show was really picking up, and it was already awesome. I consider them to be the most minor of the villains, but still formidable enough to have a small arc on a show that should have lasted at least a couple of more seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Multibot View Post
    I hated that they got rid of snake-face so quickly (he's my fave of the snakemen, and one of my fave motu figures in general), they could have turned him back to normal just as easily.
    He had to go...he was just far too powerful. They couldn't have what's basically the equivalent of Medusa running around and turning everyone to stone. Also I like that there was the occasional casualty (snake face, webstor).

As a person who absolutely detests snakes, I have to say that I've always loved the Snake Men as MOTU villains. I eagerly await their inclusion in this line.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

The introduction of Snake Men didn't really make much sense to me at first, but I became a fan after I learned that they were going to play a major role in Powers of Grayskull series. I got very excited after three dinosaurs were released back in the days. I thought that Mattel was going to release many new Snake Men riding fearsome new dinos. Too bad that didn't happen.

Maybe King Hiss isn't nearly as cool as Hordak or Skeletor. We know that “heroic-looking” human form is just a disguise. However, I thought that even the serpent form wasn't his true form as he could still be very weak escaping from another dimension. Maybe after he got all his strength and magic back, he would reveal his true form. And we would get a really cool Preternia King Hiss figure from Powers of Grayskull line. Too bad that didn't happen either.

Snakemen may not be the most exciting faction in the MOTU world, but to me, they surely were very fascinating. With all that potential and possibilities, they certainly sparked my imagination when I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Arm-Ore View Post
    The introduction of Snake Men didn't really make much sense to me at first, but I became a fan after I learned that they were going to play a major role in Powers of Grayskull series. I got very excited after three dinosaurs were released back in the days. I thought that Mattel was going to release many new Snake Men riding fearsome new dinos. Too bad that didn't happen.

Maybe King Hiss isn't nearly as cool as Hordak or Skeletor. We know that “heroic-looking” human form is just a disguise. However, I thought that even the serpent form wasn't his true form as he could still be very weak escaping from another dimension. Maybe after he got all his strength and magic back, he would reveal his true form. And we would get a really cool Preternia King Hiss figure from Powers of Grayskull line. Too bad that didn't happen either.

Snakemen may not be the most exciting faction in the MOTU world, but to me, they surely were very fascinating. With all that potential and possibilities, they certainly sparked my imagination when I was a kid.
    I like your vision of the Snakemen more than any of the "official" versions we've seen ... it could sway my whole opinion of them to a more positive one.

Huh, I'm fickle.

I like the snakemen, they really look dangerous (as all snakes does to me) Maybe when the first snakemen figure is released, people will change their minds.
    To infinity, and beyond!

Collector of Toys 4 Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash77 View Post
    He had to go...he was just far too powerful. They couldn't have what's basically the equivalent of Medusa running around and turning everyone to stone. Also I like that there was the occasional casualty (snake face, webstor).
    too powerful my ass! what about he-man? who could beat him? What about hordak, sorceress, etc.? Don't give me that 'he's too powerful' rubbish...give me a break...
    That's what ruined the myp series for me...totally wasting cool villans like Webstor & snakeface, without even giving them hardly any screentime or episodes to get to know them, yet we get stupid crap like Evil lynn hynotizing Ramman, or Clawful not knowing his own language of his own people, and worst of all King Grayskull; who reduced He-man's character to a mere carbon copy, & forever ruining the character imo.

i thought the whole point of good vs. evil was to have a villan who seemed 'too powerful' for the hero to overcome. It makes the hero seem that much greater imo. If perseus could beat medusa, i'm sure the most powerful man in the universe could find a way to overcome Snake-face's power as well. like make it backfire, and have it wear off after a few days...

I would have loved to have seen Snakeface turn everyone to stone, and have He-man's powersword restore them to normal, just like in the minicomics. Killing him off right away was totally unneccessary and really a waste of a good character. To me, it showed a total lack of ideas & imagination on the part of myp. Same goes for Webstor, they couldn't come up with a way to utilize the character, so they kill him off. Cheap crap imo.

It would have been better not to even have them appear at all, than to have such a shoddy, lame & short-lived portrayal. I shudder to think of what they might have done with the Horde characters; kill off leech & mantenna because they don't know how to utilize them? Maybe it's a good thing the show was canned before they got the chance to ruin the Horde.

sorry, but to me, there's no such thing as 'too powerful'. Any character can be beaten in some way. The only character who's ''too powerful'' in motu would have to be He-man, since he never gets defeated, and seems to have no weaknesses.
    At least snakeface's power can backfire, so he's not 'far too powerful' by any means. They still could have had the effect wear off, rather than leave him that way permanently. Very shoddy, lame, wasted portrayal of a perfectly good character imo. They restored merman, even after he was shattered to pieces, so why not snakeface, who was perfectly intact? and why kill Webstor? no sense in that imo. killing villans imo doesn't make nearly as much impact as killing a few heroes. remember optimus prime's death in 1986? huge uproar...but killing villans after only a brief appearance = very dumb imo. now kill off MAA, Teela or Sorceress, and there'd have been a huge riot by fans...

'nuf said....
    Lifelong fan of: MOTU, G.I.Joe, Transformers, most 'good' movies of any genre, Star Wars, oldies/classic rock & country music, WWE/WWF/WCW/NWA wrestling, old school circus sideshow performers & fictional movie 'creatures', my friends and family. oh, yes...and I love action figures!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Multibot View Post
    too powerful my ass! what about he-man? who could beat him? What about hordak, sorceress, etc.? Don't give me that 'he's too powerful' rubbish...give me a break...
    That's what ruined the myp series for me...totally wasting cool villans like Webstor & snakeface, without even giving them hardly any screentime or episodes to get to know them, yet we get stupid crap like Evil lynn hynotizing Ramman, or Clawful not knowing his own language of his own people, and worst of all King Grayskull; who reduced He-man's character to a mere carbon copy, & forever ruining the character imo.

i thought the whole point of good vs. evil was to have a villan who seemed 'too powerful' for the hero to overcome. It makes the hero seem that much greater imo. If perseus could beat medusa, i'm sure the most powerful man in the universe could find a way to overcome Snake-face's power as well. like make it backfire, and have it wear off after a few days...

I would have loved to have seen Snakeface turn everyone to stone, and have He-man's powersword restore them to normal, just like in the minicomics. Killing him off right away was totally unneccessary and really a waste of a good character. To me, it showed a total lack of ideas & imagination on the part of myp. Same goes for Webstor, they couldn't come up with a way to utilize the character, so they kill him off. Cheap crap imo.

It would have been better not to even have them appear at all, than to have such a shoddy, lame & short-lived portrayal. I shudder to think of what they might have done with the Horde characters; kill off leech & mantenna because they don't know how to utilize them? Maybe it's a good thing the show was canned before they got the chance to ruin the Horde.

sorry, but to me, there's no such thing as 'too powerful'. Any character can be beaten in some way. The only character who's ''too powerful'' in motu would have to be He-man, since he never gets defeated, and seems to have no weaknesses.
    At least snakeface's power can backfire, so he's not 'far too powerful' by any means. They still could have had the effect wear off, rather than leave him that way permanently. Very shoddy, lame, wasted portrayal of a perfectly good character imo. They restored merman, even after he was shattered to pieces, so why not snakeface, who was perfectly intact? and why kill Webstor? no sense in that imo. killing villans imo doesn't make nearly as much impact as killing a few heroes. remember optimus prime's death in 1986? huge uproar...but killing villans after only a brief appearance = very dumb imo. now kill off MAA, Teela or Sorceress, and there'd have been a huge riot by fans...

'nuf said....
    Right, because a show needs 50 different villains. Don't ever off anyone, just keep building up the numbers.
    Snakeface is not an important character, and his life or death doesn't matter. I like the snakemen but could care less if the series had killed off every single one of them. I don't think heroes shouldn't be exempt either. But no, I doubt they would kill off MAA, or Teela since they are the main characters, the best characters, and the faces of the franchise.
    As for the rest...dude, it's a cartoon. Relax.

When I collected the original MOTU, the only figures that I had were heroic characters and Skeletor and his evil minions, which at the time also included Kobra Khan. I think when the Snakemen figures came out, my parents were trying to get me to stop playing with toys...(I must have been 11 or 12), because I never knew anything about the Snakemen until the 200x series. The last figures I remember getting were Sy-Klone and somehow I managed to get Mantenna which I think came out after the Snake Men?

Anyway, I love the Snake Men. I like the idea that the villains of He-Man also have their own villains to worry about, and would sometimes put their differences aside with He-Man to battle a common foe. Of course the Horde could fit that bill, but that makes it interesting too.....to have three gangs of villains, and neither of them get along with the others.
    Keep The "Classicized" 200x Heads in MOTUC!

Matty Savings For the Year because of No DOS Purchases: $210

Well, I loved the Snake-Men when I was a child and I still like them a lot! Snakes are cool! Not as cool as the Horde though.

edDy
    Evil is a point of view - Lestat in Interview with the Vampire

See my trading feedback here: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eedback-Thread

Collector of Toys 4 Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash77 View Post
    Right, because a show needs 50 different villains. Don't ever off anyone, just keep building up the numbers.
    Snakeface is not an important character, and his life or death doesn't matter. I like the snakemen but could care less if the series had killed off every single one of them. I don't think heroes shouldn't be exempt either. But no, I doubt they would kill off MAA, or Teela since they are the main characters, the best characters, and the faces of the franchise.
    As for the rest...dude, it's a cartoon. Relax.
    Yes, that's correct. They do need all the different villans, alive and well; ready to take on the heroes. That's the point of having an army of warriors imo, so please don't roll your eyes at me about it.
    Don't kill off the different main villans, especially after only one episode appearance. but the generic troops can be cannon fodder imo, like the horde troops, skeleton warriors, robot soldiers, etc. The council of Evil eps were the best imo, because they had all the diff villans, up to that point, join together. i loved that aspect of it. i'd like to see a vast army of all the good & evil warriors in an all out lOTR style brawl. so yes, i'd want them to live and build up in numbers so they'd end up being an army.

Maybe snakeface isn't an important character to you, or the rest of the snakemen; but they are to me. to see a character I like get killed off so quickly really sucked in my opinion. i was really hoping for a much better portrayal after waiting so many years to finally see them in animated form, and looking forward to seeing how they'd deal with snakeface.
    they made his power backfire & turned him to stone, fine. They could have turned him back & rescued him later like they did with the others. That's my issue with it. they could restore merman, which got me upset when he was shattered to pieces; but not snakeface? his power is 1000x more useful/deadly than anything merman can do, imo. the whole portrayal was just bad imo.

so yes, being my fave snakeman figure; snakeface is very important to me, and it does matter to me if he lives or dies. to me he's just as important as Beastman, stratos, merman, MAA etc. Just because he came later in the toyline, or wasn't portrayed much in the cartoons doesn't make him any less important imo. That's like saying Scareglow isn't important..he wasn't in any of the toons, yet he has alot of fans. same with green goddess.

I never thought of Teela or MAA as being the 'best characters', not by a long shot. to me they were the blandest characters. a couple humans, nothing special or unique imo, no cool powers or anything to set them apart from the random villager. They are only the faces of the franchise because of their over used screen time imo. The only main characters imo are He-man & skeletor. the rest are secondary, but still just as important to me. so I really don't like to see them killed off, even if you don't seem to care about it.

yes it is a cartoon, which is why the killing was unneccessary imo. If it were a pg-13 or R rated toon, i'd expect to see some deaths. But not for a show that's targeted toward kids on network tv. that's why the world is the way it is. kids are exposed to death & violence at a very young age, and it's in just about every form of media so you can't really shield them from it. they lose that 'innocence' before they're even out of gradeschool. how can we expect anyone to respect life if all they see is death & killing in just about everything? i see that with my niece & nephew, they're so used to seeing violence & death in everything from their games & cartoons that they don't even seem to react if a character is killed on tv, and they're only 13 & 11. When I was that age, i was appalled at seeing someone die on tv, especially if it was an organic living being. Robots weren't an issue so much since they can be repaired, but not living breathing people. i still don't like to see people killed in cartoons, unless it's one meant for adults not kids. they don't need to be exposed to that. they learn about it soon enough.

I never thought of MOTU as being the type of show to have that kind of thing, but rather a show about morals, values, respect for others, etc. Something that most forms of media today are sorely lacking. There really aren't any good role models now a days, only the foul mouthed rappers and violent toons, crime drama shows, etc. that kids watch.
    for example, my niece & nephew watch NCIS regularly, which isn't the kind of thing that would have appealed to me at that age. Hearing my 11 yr old niece use words like 'rape' & 'molestation' in her everyday vocabulary is really a big put off. It's really a crying shame. and yes, i am relaxed, in case you're wondering.
    just a bit disappointed with some of today's entertainment, and peoples' overall lack of morals. to say that someone isn't important and their life or death doesn't matter only proves my point that our society has lost all morals & values, because a person's attitude toward a fictional character can be seen as a reflection of their attitude toward real people. I would have liked to have seen alot more development on my fave snakeman, that's all. And killing Webstor was a huge crime imo. He was too damn cool to die so soon, especially at the hands of the snakemen.