Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Insight into MOTUC Hordak's lower torso / MOTUC Abdominal sculpting discussion

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

Insight into MOTUC Hordak's lower torso / MOTUC Abdominal sculpting discussion

New post from Toyguru!

A lot of fans have been asking about the design of our upcoming Hordak figure. We asked the Horsemen to provide a little insight to pass along! Specifically, fans have asked about the design of Hordak's armor and why it was done as a half piece and not a full frontal peice of armor. Here is what Eric and Cornboy had to say:

HORSEMEN: "This aspect of the design was something that we put a lot of thought into. We weighed out a lot of options, taking into consideration things like accuracy, articulation, tooling expenses, removable vs. non removable armor, and how the choice will work throughout the line. In the end we chose to do a two piece armor system to preserve the overall look of the original while retaining a full range of motion.

We created a new armored lower torso that will be used on certain characters while we may use the more sculpted look of the muscled stomach on other figures with more fitted looking armor. We are going to use this system in a variety of ways that should make most people happy. In cases like this a lot of the decisions that we make in the design process come down to "which approach will make the most people happy." Of course we can never please 100% of the fans, but we can certainly keep trying."

- so there you have it! Look for Mer-Man on sale April 15th, Zodak in May and Hordak in June only available on MattyCollector.com!

-Matty

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

OK, shrugs shoulders and mutters "what are we supposed to make of that 'insight'?" and walks off shaking head.....

Are 4H going to be wheeled out to "explain" a design feature everytime a few voice their displeasure about the look of a character and TG/Matty don't feel they've got much of a defence?

Awww....I'm just grouchy tonight.

Loves MOTUC canon! PaTrIcKfOgArTy's Avatar
    I love the design and just can't wait to get him!

Maybe less people would be unhappy if the lower part had some sort of texture instead of a smooth black surface?

So, do they mean "two-piece" as in it comes apart or as in there is another lower section of the armor that we've yet to see?

I just think it looks weird for Hordak to have this hard-looking armor on top and then what looks to be a black shirt covering his abs ... ?

I'll reserve judgement until I see it but characters like Mekaneck and Jitsu, etc. are going to look kinda strange with this "two-piece" system, if you ask me.

The ab-crunch articulation just seem like function over form for any character that wears full torso armor. Why hinder the look for almost the ENTIRE line for an articulation point that, IMO is pointless.

I was just reading this on Facebook. I'm glad that Toyguru and the 4H are keeping the lines of communication going like this! I can understand why they went with what they did. Initially it bothered me, but it's nothing to get miffed over. Keep up the good work 4H and Mattel!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

A big fan of Slush Head
    And what about the name? Can we get rid of it?
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

I still cant wait to get Hordak in June.

Maybe If enough people dislike this figure that much it won't sale out in a day and there will be pleantly on June 15th.

Doubt it!!!

Heroic Weather Oddity Raining Light's Avatar
    To be honest, it didnt really explain anything.
    Maybe I just don't get it.
    Either way it still looks terrible.

They give him a bra armor,
    they take away the Ruthless,
    and they name him Hector.

Why the need to change so much?
    It's like they are making him wimpy.
    I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity--Edgar Allen Poe

The 25th Anniversary GI*JOE line went through this whole appearance vs. articulation circus. In the end, it was appearance that one out. I personally would be willing to live without ab crunch articulation in favor of more accurate looking armor. It’s just one point of articulation. I'll still buy it as it is though.

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    I’m also confused as to what this two-piece armor thing is all about. I hope that means there’s a second armor piece that goes over his abs. I also hope his entire upper torso is painted black, otherwise what’s the point of removable armor if he’s not going to display well without it.

Since I’m being so hopeful, I will add that I wish people would stop using phrases like “a vocal minority” on the internets; stating this doesn’t make your opinion stronger; especially if you have no real data to back it up.

In my opinion, they could have just given Hordak his abs; Man-at-Arms sports a mid tummy cut armor and he’s man at arms!! If he sais it’s the way to wear eternian armor who can argue with that??
    My MOTUC top 10 wants (POST SDCC 2014):

Queen Angella - Hunga the Harpy - Peekablue - Toy Catra - Veena - Red Knight - Vultak - Dylamug - Sibyline - Kex Queen

Small creatures that need to happen: 3 main twiggets

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PaTrIcKfOgArTy View Post

Maybe less people would be unhappy if the lower part had some sort of texture instead of a smooth black surface?
    I agree. I think that would have worked best if they would have disguised it somehow by adding some added detail to the torso.

I guess MOTUC aren't really meant to be displayed without their trademark armor or having their armor switched up. So far Beast Man, Mer-Man and Hordak are supporting this notion.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

I think a weapons/armor pack may be in order.

That way fans could have the option to purchase that classic full-armor look as an additional but non-included accessory.

The full-armor should be able to fit the figure in a way that when on, it would simply prohibit only the figure's "mid-crunch" articulation.
    – No comment.

Isn't the modified armor because of the ab crunch articulation?

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    I haven't been that offended by the pics I've seen, so I don't really understand all the hatred for it.

I guess I'm gonna wait and see until I have the figure in-hand.

But it's not like I'm gonna pass on Hordak over such a minor detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    I haven't been that offended by the pics I've seen, so I don't really understand all the hatred for it.

I guess I'm gonna wait and see until I have the figure in-hand.

But it's not like I'm gonna pass on Hordak over such a minor detail.
    My feelings exactly! I don't get the big controversy. Initially it looked a little weird but it's not going to prevent me from getting this awesome figure!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PaTrIcKfOgArTy View Post

I agree.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Another thing to keep in mind is that I have yet to see a Mattel-released picture of a MOTUC figure that's how I want to have mine posed.

I bet you can bend Hordak forward enough to where the gap between the belt and the bottom of the top armor piece is pretty negligible.

they shoulda went with look this time, made full size armor and if ya want hordak doin abb. crunchs then take his armor off
    Eternian Beastmaster

I actually think the ab-crunch joint is really important. I use it in the posing of all my figures, and when I occasionally play with them too. It makes movements like rearing back to swing a sword look a lot more realistic. I'm glad they kept it for Hordak. I don't think the short armor takes away from the figure at all. Not anymore than losing the articulation. Besides, I really don't think it looks that bad.

it doesnt look bad till u wanna take armor off.
    and its not like u can do alot of abb moveing in a full breastplate anyway
    Eternian Beastmaster

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Yeah, Hordak looks fine.

Heroic Warrior
    What I am getting out of what the Horsemen said is that their are 2 pieces of armor. The Upper torso/chest part and the lower ab part. Both of which seem to be removable. I might be wrong but that's what I got out of it. Either way I'm still getting the figure!

Quote Originally Posted by shucky View Post
    What I am getting out of what the Horsemen said is that their are 2 pieces of armor. The Upper torso/chest part and the lower ab part.
    But that doesn't fit the context in which the phrase "two piece armor system" was used. The full sentence reads: In the end we chose to do a two piece armor system to preserve the overall look of the original while retaining a full range of motion. So how is "a two piece armor system" consistent with the notion of preserving how the original figure looked? The original figure did not have an outer armor enveloping his upper torso and another inner armor protecting his midsection, so that can't be what they meant.

The original figure did have the following: (1) a front plate, and (2) a back plate, and they snapped onto each other; hence, a two-piece system. That must be what they're referring to with the term: there's a front and a back, separate pieces that attach together. As opposed to He-Man's armor for instance, which is one piece.
    Still remembers we paid excessive shipping on Battleground Teela. Is confident Matty will resolve the issue and make it right for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bolty-Neck View Post
    But that doesn't fit the context in which the phrase "two piece armor system" was used. The full sentence reads: In the end we chose to do a two piece armor system to preserve the overall look of the original while retaining a full range of motion. So how is "a two piece armor system" consistent with the notion of preserving how the original figure looked? The original figure did not have an outer armor enveloping his upper torso and another inner armor protecting his midsection, so that can't be what they meant.

The original figure did have the following: (1) a front plate, and (2) a back plate, and they snapped onto each other; hence, a two-piece system. That must be what they're referring to with the term: there's a front and a back, separate pieces that attach together. As opposed to He-Man's armor for instance, which is one piece.
    Do i understand it right, are under the (black shirt peace) lower torser muscels?

I hope so much to have a chance to see muscels where that black peace of **** is.
    Last edited by Merman79; March 30, 2009 at 09:16pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Merman79 View Post
    Do i understand it right, are under the (black shirt peace) lower torser muscels?
    You got me. This new info was not 100% clear to me...BUT I'm getting a MOTUC Hordak so color me happy either way.

I THINK however what this means is there is a lower armor molded onto the figure. It looks to me like its just the lower abdomen painted black however...so I'm not sure. Need better pics and explanation to say anything for sure.
    I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!