View Poll Results: Should MATTEL let the FANS create "Real names" for MOTUC?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! Hold a contest each month and let FANS vote for their favorite names!

35 57.38%
  • NO! The names being assigned to the figures are just fine.

26 42.62%

Thread: Should MATTEL let the FANS create "Real names" for MOTUC?

*batteries not included Captain Atkin's Avatar

Should MATTEL let the FANS create "Real names" for MOTUC?

Many MOTU fans have not been thrilled by the "real names" that the figures have been getting. This got me thinking... why doesn't MATTEL have a contest each month for fans to create names?

Fans on the Org could submit names, and then a poll could be set up where we vote for the name we like best. Have it be that the winner wins a prize (a signed action figure of the character they named.)

I think that this would be a really cool marketing strategy for Mattel if they did something like this. Certainly creates more interest in the toyline. Who wouldn't want bragging rights to say that they named a character in the MOTU universe!?

Just a crazy little thought I had. Curious what other people out there think of this...
    "Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another." --- Man-At-Arms

www.hemanworld.com

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    Many MOTU fans have not been thrilled by the "real names" that the figures have been getting. This got me thinking... why doesn't MATTEL have a contest each month for fans to create names?

Fans on the Org could submit names, and then a poll could be set up where we vote for the name we like best. Have it be that the winner wins a prize (a signed action figure of the character they named.)

I think that this would be a really cool marketing strategy for Mattel if they did something like this. Certainly creates more interest in the toyline. Who wouldn't want bragging rights to say that they named a character in the MOTU universe!?

Just a crazy little thought I had. Curious what other people out there think of this...
    That would be a nice idea! I'm all for it. The fans have come up with far better names than Mattel has so far.

Though the real names should only be for all of the characters whose names are titles, like Clamp Champ, Ram Man, Snout Spout, etc.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Yes, one would be cool.

I voted no. only because i could care less about there real names. I love the stories about where they came and how they came to be more

Hell yes..
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Heroic Warrior
    Never gonna happen.

the logistics and legalities involved wouldn't make it worthwhile.

your best bet would be for Mattel to propose several potential names, and allow fans to vote on which one they like best.

and I really think we should see where all of this is going in the first place before we throw the baby out with the bathwater. I'm starting to note connections between certain characters' names, and I wanna see how it weaves into the larger tapestry.

perhaps there's a reason they chose the names they did, and they're not arbitrary, or just random names out of a hat, like with Star Wars.

Maybe Mattel could take a leaf out of the 4H's fantastic exclusive book and create a few versions and then run a poll on each name to see what comes out on top. We get a say but ultemately they would still be creating the names so would still end up with one of the options they wanted from the star and would still be controling the process. Also because they would be creating the names for us to choose from they would still be in legal control of all that stuff, as they can't use fan stuff right?. Just an idea, but still would prefer that there were no real names in the first place.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

A big "Hell no!" from me. No more real names from anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    A big "Hell no!" from me. No more real names from anyone.
    MOTHER: "He-Man! Please help me find my lost son in the woods!"
    HE-MAN: "Sure! What's his name?"
    MOTHER: "Cannon-Man."
    HE-MAN: "Excuse me? Did you say 'Cannon-Man'?"
    MOTHER: "Yes. Our little boy's name is Cannon-Man. He's destined to do great things with artillery. We let him play in front of a trebuchet every morning hoping that it will catch on."

Now, do you guys get why we need real names for some of these characters?

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Now, do you guys get why we need real names for some of these characters?
    Not everything about each character needs to be known. To use your example, who cares about the life of Cannon-Man before he was the Heroic Master of Artillery?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    Not everything about each character needs to be known. To use your example, who cares about the life of Cannon-Man before he was the Heroic Master of Artillery?
    The problem with that is that you can't learn anything past a character's current situation. It's akin to not revealing anything about how Evil-Lyn learned magic or how Trap Jaw became a cyborg.

It's like saying the characters were always like the way they were presently. How could they ever have any deeper layers?

Look what some history did for Stinkor, Trap Jaw, Skeletor, Evil-Lyn, Two Badd and other characters. I think what is being disputed is the quality of the bios and the names, not that MOTU fans don't want to know anything about their favorite characters.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; April 1, 2009 at 07:47pm.

I think they should just give up on the so-called "real names" altogether.

Yes a contest would be cool.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Heroic Warrior
    I say have the fans pick from a list of names.

To the people who say away with the real names, do you not like any of the real names (Kronis, Tuvar, Baddrah, ect.) or just the ones with the MOTUC?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell110 View Post
    I say have the fans pick from a list of names.

To the people who say away with the real names, do you not like any of the real names (Kronis, Tuvar, Baddrah, ect.) or just the ones with the MOTUC?
    I don't like those names you mentioned, no, but they sound better than the MOTUC names I've seen so far.
    ne jabba no badda!

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    The problem with that is that you can't learn anything past a character's current situation. It's akin to not revealing anything about how Evil-Lyn learned magic or how Trap Jaw became a cyborg.
    My point is that this is not necessarily a problem; to the contrary, sometimes less is more.

It's like saying the characters were always like the way they were presently. How could they ever have any deeper layers?
    A more accurate statement would be that it is not always necessary to know the previous nature of a character, e.g. the origin of He-Man is not revealed in the FILMation Masters of the Universe series, but the character does not suffer for it.

Look what some history did for Stinkor, Trap Jaw, Skeletor, Evil-Lyn, Two Badd and other characters. I think what is being disputed is the quality of the bios and the names, not that MOTU fans don't want to know anything about their favorite characters.
    I agree.

Heroic Weather Oddity Raining Light's Avatar
    If they are gonna MAKE us have real names then yes something like this would rock.
    I wouldn't even care about a prize, I just know we as a community could come up with better names.
    I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity--Edgar Allen Poe

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Raining Light View Post
    If they are gonna MAKE us have real names then yes something like this would rock.
    I wouldn't even care about a prize, I just know we as a community could come up with better names.
    but that's a matter of opinion, and it creates a copyright nightmare.

this is Mattel's ship to sail, and their decision to make. We as fans, are free to voice our protest, but ultimately, the decision rests with Mattel.

I for one, don't mind the names. If I don't like it, I ignore it.

but I do think that letting fans vote on a list of names is a great idea, and at least gets the fans involved in some capacity. Which is never a bad thing.

Heroic Warrior
    This is a cool idea. "Raquill Rqazz" will always be great, but now that we've been reduced to "Chopper", it's time to expand the think tank.

Clamp Champ's real name must be "Cassius".

As much as I like this, it wouldn't be logistically possible. Having to deal with all the submissions and the time it takes to get these figures prepared and ready for day of sale, I have to say no. Plus some do not really need 'real names' anyway!

But since I do not want to rain on this idea I kinda like to see maybe a forum based contest amongst ourselves (?) where we maybe can submit some better names cause i would like to hear some beside my own and I would adapt them to my canon and stories.
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

i voted no. its the only choice to vote. not cause all the names are good but because it isnt our choice. to suggest that it should be is ludicrous.

Oh gosh, no.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Sorry but no. Mattel would obviously select the name that would make the least sense.

Heroic Warrior
    No. I'm not readin' these silly bios to begin with...
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE