Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.15!

Answers to WTFWTK 2.15!

Toyguru has once again provided answers to your questions.
    Check out his answers to your Round 15 questions!

1. Will Mattel offer a way for international fans who support the line get a hold of the chase/special figures you are releasing at the comic-cons without having to resort to eBay?
    All of our Comic Con figures will be available on Mattycollector.com, although some may feature slight changes (such as a minor deco change or a different accessory) We will have more details closer to the convention. Keep in mind before Mattycollector.com our SDCC figures were ONLY available at the show. So although the versions on line after the show may be slightly changes, they will still at least be an avenue for non show attending fans to get them. (unlike say Keldor or She-Ra who were ONLY at the show and had no online distribution).

2. If/When a movie toy line is developed, will the toys be in the same scale as MOTUC?
    Way to early to tell. But when the film does come out, you can bet we will do amazing MOTU toys.

3. Will Mattel be doing anything special for the 25th anniversary of the POP toy line?
    We’ll be releasing POP figures on MattyCollector.com as part of the MOTUC line.

4. Some collectors have been reporting loose joints on new MOTUC figures. Is anything being done to remedy this?
    We’ll pass this comment to the factory and have them check it out! If anyone has images please post them online so we can review.

5. With the success of the MOTUC line thus far, can you tell us your plans (if any) for more unique sculpts?
    If sales continue to go up we can get to a high enough production number to be able to look into some 100% sculpt figures. If not, it may have to wait until a movie year when we can bring this line to retail. Right now we are still a bit away from hitting the production numbers needed to do 100% sculpts, but we are getting closer!

6. Are there any upcoming plans for gift sets that including multiple figures, or figures with vehicles/creatures?
    Possibly. But not until late in 2010.

7. Does Mattel have plans to balance the number of villains with the number of heroes in the MOTUC line? With the announcement at NYCC of upcoming figures, the line is currently villain-heavy.
    We are making a conscious effort to keep it balanced, but keep in mind, He-Man is a pretty strong guy, he can take on a lot of villains!

8. For figures that will reuse body parts, will the same be true of head sculpts like in the classic line? (eg: Moss Man and Beast Man, Mer-Man and Stinkor, etc)
    Yes and we will likely do two heads for these type of figures, so Stinkor would likely get the Mer-Man head and an all new 2002 type head.

9. Does Mattel have plans for more secure/insured shipping methods for international fans who never receive items?
    We are working with Digital River to try and find the best shipping methods at the best possible rates.

10. When will the subscription service be available?
    Hopefully before the summer. We are working on it!

--------------------

Click here to ask questions in Round 17!
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 1.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 2.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 3.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 4.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 5.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 6.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 7.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 8.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 9.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 10.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 11.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 12.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 13.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 14.
    And, have fun discussing Toy Guru's answers to your Round 15 questions!

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Good Q&A, Really happy about Stinkor and Moss Man having 2 heads!!

Heroic Weather Oddity Raining Light's Avatar
    Great news on the Stinkor, Moss Man 2 heads thing.
    Glad to hear that.
    I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity--Edgar Allen Poe

I think the exclusive answer stinks IMO, it's is a slap in the face of internet Matty buyers that can't come to the cons. THe comparison to the other lines doesn't make sense. Those were retaillines...

I am actually VERY pleased with these answers... Mainly cuz of one question.. The subscription service!! I am VERY HAPPY with that answer!!

Very straight forward Q&A.

Thanks to Mattel, Toyguru, and the .Org.

That was one of the more juicy Q&A sessions methinks!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Heroic ursine warrior sailoruranus's Avatar
    I'm really hoping that the movie line will be in the same scale. I think it would suck if they weren't compatible. One of the points of MOTUC is to give us everything in the same scale.

On another note, it's taken me years to get here, but this is my 300th post!

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    To be honest, I don't care about the MotU movie figures being compatible with the MOTUC figures.

Hasn't it been hinted that MOTUC may be able to find its way to retail to be sold alongside the movie figures?

That would be good enough for me, since MOTUC sold in retail store quantities means the potential for more elaborate tooling for MOTUC figures.

I guess it would be cool if larger movie items like beasts, giants, vehicles, or playsets were compatible enough with MOTUC.

Glad about the two heads. Don't really care about the movie line, mainly because I don't think the movie will be that good. I just hope that the classics line does not suffer due to the emphasis on the movie.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

5. With the success of the MOTUC line thus far, can you tell us your plans (if any) for more unique sculpts?
    If sales continue to go up we can get to a high enough production number to be able to look into some 100% sculpt figures. If not, it may have to wait until a movie year when we can bring this line to retail. Right now we are still a bit away from hitting the production numbers needed to do 100% sculpts, but we are getting closer!

I keep seeing mixed answers from Mattel about these figures at the retail level. When the figures were first announced....it was worded like we would find these at retail stores. Then we hear that they were always intended for the website to be the "big staple" of their online store. Now the answer that I see in bold above me tells me that they wanted to bring this line to retail, but couldn't,(I still think retailers wanted nothing to do with them), and have to wait until there is some "pop culture" marketing from a movie before retailers will sell them.

Besides that, I'm happy with all the answers and can't wait until a Stinkor and Moss Man figure is made!
    Keep The "Classicized" 200x Heads in MOTUC!

Matty Savings For the Year because of No DOS Purchases: $210

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    8. For figures that will reuse body parts, will the same be true of head sculpts like in the classic line? (eg: Moss Man and Beast Man, Mer-Man and Stinkor, etc)
    Yes and we will likely do two heads for these type of figures, so Stinkor would likely get the Mer-Man head and an all new 2002 type head.
    Well, seems I was right about this. Not that I'm tooting my own horn…OK I am!

Mossy and Stinkor will be getting two heads each! Can't wait!!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    The two heads for Stinkor and Moss Man was confirmed by a German Q&A a little while ago.

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar

I have concerns with this response, Mattel have total control over production numbers, i know that they will be increasing the production numbers for hordak and so on.

Keep in mind that these are monthly figures and you wouldnt think that they would sell out in 3 days (stratos) so its Mattels fault for not getting the numbers right. I hope they push these production numbers harder as they are selling out so quickly, if Mattel can push these production numbers harder then we may see these unique sculpts earlier then a movie.

I think that its bit of a cop out that figures are selling out so quickly and Mattel say that if production numbers can be high enough then we can see unique sculpts, i take it then we wont be seeing orko, ram-man, multi-bot, modulock, extender, rock people and so for some time.

Also with he-ro (Great news by the way) i hope they learn from the Faker fiasco. I hope they dont turn there back on the online collector as they have stated that they want matty to be the spot for online motu collectors to go too.
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

Good to hear about the 2nd heads for Moss Man and Stinkor. I didn't hear about this tidbit of info until now.

Movie mayhem!
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_E View Post
    I think the exclusive answer stinks IMO, it's is a slap in the face of internet Matty buyers that can't come to the cons. THe comparison to the other lines doesn't make sense. Those were retaillines...
    Exclusives are called exclusives for a reason. The fact that they are available on Matty at all is amazing. Until Matty the ONLY way to get these was to go to the con. They have a responsibility to collectors who travel and pay to go to these conventions to keep the exclusives collectible. I'm sure thats part of why they are doing this. But again we should feel lucky they will be available online at all.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by lorde trooper View Post

I have concerns with this response, Mattel have total control over production numbers, i know that they will be increasing the production numbers for hordak and so on.

Keep in mind that these are monthly figures and you wouldnt think that they would sell out in 3 days (stratos) so its Mattels fault for not getting the numbers right. I hope they push these production numbers harder as they are selling out so quickly, if Mattel can push these production numbers harder then we may see these unique sculpts earlier then a movie.

I think that its bit of a cop out that figures are selling out so quickly and Mattel say that if production numbers can be high enough then we can see unique sculpts, i take it then we wont be seeing orko, ram-man, multi-bot, modulock, extender, rock people and so for some time.

Also with he-ro (Great news by the way) i hope they learn from the Faker fiasco. I hope they dont turn there back on the online collector as they have stated that they want matty to be the spot for online motu collectors to go too.

Of course if they need the production number to be, say, 20,000, they could just do that right now. Doesn't mean they will sell. They are doing it gradually so that they can make sure that they can sell that many. They're not going to do it just for the sake of doing it. It's a smarter move than making too many that won't sell, which would just end up killing the line.

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Super He-Man View Post
    Of course if they need the production number to be, say, 20,000, they could just do that right now. Doesn't mean they will sell. They are doing it gradually so that they can make sure that they can sell that many. They're not going to do it just for the sake of doing it. It's a smarter move than making too many that won't sell, which would just end up killing the line.
    Thats fair enough but if they need the production number to be at 20,000 and even if they couldnt sell that many with say a hordak then the production numbers arent going to meet Mattels target, so they should be saying we are going to make all the figures with re-useable parts and thats it.

I think that Mattel are satisfied with the sell outs period, but 3 days for a monthly figure all im saying is that they could produce some extra numbers to meet the customer demand andto get some more unique sculpts.

If a character dosent sell out within the month then it dosent mean that the character was a failure, if it sits online for months and then sells out who cares, it will still sell.
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by lorde trooper View Post
    Thats fair enough but if they need the production number to be at 20,000 and even if they couldnt sell that many with say a hordak then the production numbers arent going to meet Mattels target, so they should be saying we are going to make all the figures with re-useable parts and thats it.
    They could say that, but that would be awfully pessimistic. They are of course hoping sales, and therefore production numbers, WILL meet their target.

Well, convention-goers' opinion might be that they got a slap in the face if exclusives were no longer exclusives when they spent all that time and money to get there to get them, and you simply can't please everyone.

IMO people should be more excited about the fact that they have any chance of getting them on Matty after the show.

When King Grayskull went on sale the next day, was the limit 10? If it was I bet they'll lower it like they did for Faker.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    Well, convention-goers' opinion might be that they got a slap in the face if exclusives were no longer exclusives when they spent all that time and money to get there to get them, and you simply can't please everyone.

IMO people should be more excited about the fact that they have any chance of getting them on Matty after the show.

When King Grayskull went on sale the next day, was the limit 10? If it was I bet they'll lower it like they did for Faker.
    King Grayskull and Faker were exclusives and were sold identical later on. They did just fine. The fact that it is an exlusive doens't need to mean that it has something different. They could also sell the exclusive figure 2 months earlier and then online. Seeing the stolen Merman and Hordak being sold on Ebay for 200$ tells me that people wouldn't mind having a figure early exclusively is just good option too

Also, as others stated, other companies sell their exclusives unchanged later online. Why cant Mattel?
    Thankfully someone has already written this question down for the next Q&A. I hope it will get asked.

Hail to the King Baby DamnSmooth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    Exclusives are called exclusives for a reason. The fact that they are available on Matty at all is amazing. Until Matty the ONLY way to get these was to go to the con. They have a responsibility to collectors who travel and pay to go to these conventions to keep the exclusives collectible. I'm sure thats part of why they are doing this. But again we should feel lucky they will be available online at all.
    I couldn’t agree with you more!!! Exclusives are incentive to go to the con and reward those fans that go. Making them available on-line after is a bonus. Besides that, they will be offered again on line in the near future. I am certain He-Ro has the demand that he WILL be rereleased.
    "You weren't born into this life to be popular" -- Jimmy Newquist

King Grayskull and Faker were exclusives and were sold identical later on. They did just fine. The fact that it is an exlusive doens't need to mean that it has something different. They could also sell the exclusive figure 2 months earlier and then online. Seeing the stolen Merman and Hordak being sold on Ebay for 200$ tells me that people wouldn't mind having a figure early exclusively is just good option too

Also, as others stated, other companies sell their exclusives unchanged later online. Why cant Mattel?
    Thankfully someone has already written this question down for the next Q&A. I hope it will get asked.
    First let me say this: I would have NO PROBLEM AT ALL if Mattel offered their exclusive figures online after the show with NO changes to what was offered at the show.

With that said, I see what you are saying, but I think their answer could be as simple as "Because we are choosing not to change the definition of the word 'exclusive'." Exclusive means you can only get something at one place and they want to honor that. I am lucky because I live only two hours away from San Diego so I usually get to go, but there have been years where I have not been able to and I've still gotten the exclusive without much trouble. There are already two other members on this board who can't go who I have promised to get figures for and might be doing so for a third simply because they asked; with all the good people here and with the way Mattel has hooked up JVS3 in the past, let's hope they do so again because between him and the rest of us who can go I would think we could get one for everyone who wants one (of course I may be drastically underestimating the demand and could be completely wrong about that--I'm sure JVS3 could answer that better.)

And I HATE to play the devil's advocate here, but remember that it is called "Comic-Con International" for a reason. People really do come from all over the world; now while I know most cannot, vendors are not surprised when people outside of America show up there, but they REALLY do appreciate it! I think that may be something that separates Mattel from other companies; I talked to Hasbro and McFarlane and Diamond Select reps over the past few years, and they've been everything from rude and uninformed about their own product (Hasbro) to just not that interested to talk to fans. The people at Mattel are COMPLETELY different. They listen, they ask questions back, and you can tell they really care and I think there are A LOT of things we've seen with MOTUC that PROVE beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are listening to what we want. Because Mattel appreciates the fans who come to share their input is, I think, why they want to make sure the attendees get something extra special.

Again, I'm getting exclusives for members in France and New York, and again I would have NO PROBLEM with Mattel offering the exclusives as they are at the show online after, but I think I get why they have decided not to.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Great Q&A..cant wait till the next one..or better yet to SDCC to see the nex ones figures coming

Movie mayhem!
    exclusives are part of the reason I may shell out like 700+ dollars to go to SDCC.