Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sllohcin-vision (sort of pre-MOTUC)

Sllohcin-vision (sort of pre-MOTUC)

Hey gang, with all the fantastic MOTUC fan designs starting to surface (Emiliano, Baena, etc.), the urge to re-post mine here on He-Man.org just got the better of me so I hope you all enjoy it for what it is - a style guide based on how I thought a "new" MOTU line could go. Most of these were done the summer/fall of '07 and trickled into the spring of '08 (mind you, I still have a lot unfinished.) I tried to draw elements from all over and I didn't see these as final designs (just concepts with a style that I felt would work for a younger generation.) The age demographic I was aiming for was the 5 -7+ range (which is pretty much equal to the 7 - 9+ age range of the '80s.)

Anyway, I'll start with the 8-back and give very minor thought processess as I go. Currently I have 55 designs 100% completed. I'm not going to post them on a daily basis but pretty close to it (as I tend to fail on the daily post thing - don't ask why as I don't have an answer...)

Cheers and I hope you all enjoy my work. These designs won't be everyone's cup of tea but hopefully I acheived a look that you could all imagine as a child's line of MOTU (ie. coloured eyes, a chunky look, bright and complimentary colours, 5" - 5.5" in height, etc.)

Sorry to those have already seen these multiple times.

Some points to ponder about my choice direction...
    • The reuse of parts was a major design element where every character was planned out before I even started into the project with any seriousness.
    • Every accessory has a place to be "held" (could even be a hand.)
    • I incorporated different materials into the designs (ie. Grizzlor's hair and cloth skirts, etc.)
    • Almost all chest armour and loin armour coverings are fully removeable.
    • Articulation is virtually the same as MOTUC except I didn't go the route of ab-crunch, the bicep twist or the ankle joint.

Last edited by Sllohcin; September 22, 2009 at 12:42pm.
    "A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

My DeviantART

Last edited by Sllohcin; September 22, 2009 at 12:43pm.

My DeviantART

... and one of the exclusives I had planned

Last edited by Sllohcin; September 22, 2009 at 12:43pm.

My DeviantART

I have always liked these designs as they make me laugh...and anything that makes me laugh gets an A+ in my book.

Which reminds me...whatever happened to your Toy Nexus site?
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Laugh? I hope in a good way

As for ToyNexus, well... long story short it will take a lot of effort to get it back up and running.

My DeviantART

Quote Originally Posted by Sllohcin View Post
    Laugh? I hope in a good way
    yes in a good way...they are short, podgy and cute

Quote Originally Posted by Sllohcin View Post
    As for ToyNexus, well... long story short it will take a lot of effort to get it back up and running.
    ok
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Great to have you back, budd. And that too with more art. All ok on your end?
    My DA Page

www.TheBeastLegion.com is officially online. You can read the Manga in it's entirity there! Hope you give it a try enjoy it.

Beast Legion FaceBook Page ...Join me & help spread the word!!

Sllo, I remember seeing these on ToyNexus & they are absolutely incredible, so many wonderfully combined elements & a solid design aesthetic... My favorite of your lot has not been posted yet, but I know I will comment when she is...
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 8.31.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Movie mayhem!
    You already know I love these!! Great job! BTW hows that other stuff coming?

Thanks everybody.

Yeah, everything has been good on my end. Lots of side-stepping changes going on (nothing bad but nothing allowing me to sit down and do anything.) Everything will slow down come the end of the month but I'm just finishing up a few pieces of art so that I can focus on work and this style guide.

I feel bad saying that I haven't prioritized things properly in the last few months so I've been playing catch-up/ghost for a bit and getting lost in the family business.

My intersts keep escaping me. Terrible I know...

EDIT @ Patreek - My "other" stuff is actually on my screen right now as I'm prepping to begin some majorly overdue inking!

My DeviantART

Movie mayhem!
    Sweet!! Can't wait to see the rest of these!

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Very nice concept Sllohcin.

If these were actual designs for a new kid's line, I would be ALL OVER THEM. In my eyes, they are everything that is perfect for a kids line. Your proposed 5" scale is absolutely IDEAL, and would make collecting and displaying much easier! You've got the perfect balance of articulation (not too much, not too little) that makes these perfect to play with, and the accessories rock! Not only that, but I love an animated, exagerated style.

Honestly, this would be the next evolution of He-Man, I think. Small, simple, and fun to play with. Easy to collect for collectors, and sturdy and playable for small hands. Brilliant work! The only thing wrong with it is that it doesn't exist! Once again, I'm not exagerating at all when I say that this is exactily what I'd like to see in a new kids line.

By the way: Love Skeletor's energy sword! Great homage to the old comics, and a cool way to get another accessory in there!
    Last edited by Alexx; April 11, 2009 at 04:04pm.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

dude... these are killer. Now if only you'd start your own MotU web comic...

Co-Creator of the NV
    Well as you know I always enjoyed these. I hope you mix up the order a little from when you posted them elsewhere as I'd really like to see some that are new to me

't was about time for you to post here your pre-MOTUC design, I was searchin' for 'em on web for weeks!
    They are great pal, but I know you've got more to show us...so? More! Give us more!
    Danbrenus
    uomo libero e guerriero delle schiere Boiche

http://danbrenus.deviantart.com/
    My pre-Filmation minicomics:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=184385
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189337
    Of course I do commission, after all I have to live!
    Chiaramente accetto commissioni, dovr˛ pur campare...

I seem to be one of the few who's never seen these, so I'm very glad you posted them here - I love 'em!

They are great fun, and definitely perfect for a kids' line. (I don't want MotUC to end any time soon, but these would be great fun to buy for nieces/nephews/etc.)

I love the heavy influence of the vintage line with elements from 200x sneaking in here and there. Super fun!

(And I'm so glad you did Zodac in addition to Zodak!)

NICE !

I've never seen these!

I love them. You have a beautiful style that would great for a cartoon and toyline. I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

I love the movie elements you've added. He-Man being the Champion (that's what Skeletor called him), Duncan's visor, and Castle Grayskull housing the Eye of the Universe. I think the movie had some really great concepts.

I can't wait for more. I hope you have a Blade and Gwildor coming.
    SUPERHEMANMIKE

"It tasted good..." - Gwildor

i know he has more designs he has not shown yet that were on toy nexus... question is when he plans to reveal them...
    http://bugshido.deviantart.com/

Be apart of the "Gatchgrey and Royal-T present: the Bug-Shido Staction Character Contest"
    details here http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=176988

Recently moved to GA! Help! I need to know new people!
    These designs remind me of those Kid Friendly Super Friends line or those Spider-Man and Friends.

They look awesome by the way!
    By the Power... and For the Honor of GRAYSKULL!!!
    HE-MAN and SHE-RA Rules!!!

"Frustration is only felt when one realizes there is an option!"
    - Ancient One (BeastMaster: The Series; Fifth Element)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from MAGIC!
    - Clarke's Third Law

10/10

Great work!
    My trade reviews/references by others
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=168244

These are flippen wicked!!

Not liking how you've handled Teela though.
    She's exadurated in the wrong sort of way I think but everything else is just fantastic!

I still want to do an animated movie poster with you some time!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Glad to see these again, I'm a big fan. They seem a bit like a cross between MOTUC and the Superfriends toys.
    Rigby the Barbarian - Swords, Sorcery and Sarcasm

Thanks everybody.

The style was based on a style cross between Rescue Heroes and MOTU A Superfriends resemblance works just as well.

* The next post of characters (after this one) will contain one or two never before posted pics.

** Sorry about not making a long-winded post or addressing anybody directly. Easter dinner is awaitin'!

*** TrapJaw's shin guards are to be removeable and interchangeable with other characters that share the "boots". Man-At-Arms, etc.

Last edited by Sllohcin; September 22, 2009 at 12:44pm.

My DeviantART