Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Motu Redesign challenge #88 - Three Towers of Eternia!

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    2-Bad: MUCH BETTER!!! The original piece, before you added all that extra, is just a lot better imho. Thanks for posting it, Jazyl! I'll add both versions to the poll, of course.

Techtrek: Good job! They show up now. If you want me to, I can add colour to them, according to your specifications. I'm a bit surprised the Snake Tower looks so... noble tho? Isn't it supposed to represent the Evil within the three towers?

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    2-Bad: MUCH BETTER!!! The original piece, before you added all that extra, is just a lot better imho. Thanks for posting it, Jazyl! I'll add both versions to the poll, of course.

Techtrek: Good job! They show up now. If you want me to, I can add colour to them, according to your specifications. I'm a bit surprised the Snake Tower looks so... noble tho? Isn't it supposed to represent the Evil within the three towers?

Yeah, definently feel free to do what ever you want with them! the only reason I cant add colour is because all i have is "paint" and it makes them look really bad! lol. yeah. i would just say stay close to the original box stuff, but obviously have fun and be creative. ex: green tower, would have green helmet/chest plate, and sheild looking sort of like the brick.....

lion nice blue color mane and body, with a lighter "face" fur...

and yeah, I guess i assumed he would look evil BECAUSE he was a snake... but you are right, he looks kind of noble... lol. maybe a little colour is all he needs!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TechTrek View Post
    Yeah, definently feel free to do what ever you want with them! the only reason I cant add colour is because all i have is "paint" and it makes them look really bad! lol. yeah. i would just say stay close to the original box stuff, but obviously have fun and be creative. ex: green tower, would have green helmet/chest plate, and sheild looking sort of like the brick.....

lion nice blue color mane and body, with a lighter "face" fur...

and yeah, I guess i assumed he would look evil BECAUSE he was a snake... but you are right, he looks kind of noble... lol. maybe a little colour is all he needs!!!!!

all i have/had was paint also... but someone just turned me to this program named GIMP...

i havent had a chance to play with it yet but it looks pretty cool for a free program

http://www.gimp.org/downloads/
    http://bugshido.deviantart.com/

Be apart of the "Gatchgrey and Royal-T present: the Bug-Shido Staction Character Contest"
    details here http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=176988

All right Techtrek, what do you think about this colour-scheme that I put on your towers? I figured it would be logical to keep them all in basically only one type of colour, but with a few different shades.

All right Techtrek, what do you think about this colour-scheme that I put on your towers? I figured it would be logical to keep them all in basically only one type of colour, but with a few different shades.

very cool. thanks for doing that.

I would prefer some silver or gold trim on the blue and green towers (like the viper) but i can't complain. they look very good.

and gatcha, thanks for the advice on that gimp program, i have it at home on my laptop. its kind of a paint program, with some great photoshop qqualities. i appreciate it.

i think i may be able to play with those characters some now!

as for how they are, i think they look great! thanks

Your wish... is my command.

All right lads, we're at the brink of the deadline! 0_0 In a few hours this challenge will close!

But there's still an entry that I'm waiting for! Where are you, mate?? You know who you are.

Movie mayhem!
    Mine will be done tomorrow is that ok?

Sorry for the late entry. Quick little something run up in a short time, but I'm sure that's obvious by the poor quality of the work

The mythology:

It was said that long ago the gods built three towers to guard over the balance of good and evil.

The tower of Goodness was built of a near emerald color stone to signify its ties to life, for wherever the tower stood, life would blossom. It was once said that even those who succumbed to death could be revived within the walls of the tower.

The tower of Evil was not built but formed. An eerie purple rock growing upward like a stalagmite, inviting hate and fear by appearance alone. Wrapped around the formation was an unnatural weapon shaped like that of a serpent. In all ages past there has been no record of the effects or use of the weapon. It has been said that all who have witnessed its power have been destroyed, including those who use it.

The third tower was known only as Balance. The spire is said to have a massive lion head to the front. The carving itself being larger than the other two towers. Not much has been told of Balance as the tales seem more fable than fact. One legend goes that the first Eternians sprang forth from the mouth of the lions head, burdening all future lines with the internal struggle of good and evil.

For untold generations the towers stood vigilant over Eternia residing high above the planet. As the planets inhabitants grew in number so did their quest for power. An epic battle raged alongside the towers, millions of lives lost between all sides. The gods watched the chaos. Fearing the destruction of Eternia, they commanded the towers to move to a place that no one would be tempted by their power again.

As the towers fell from their aerial seat, those who fought for control of the towers followed. War continued to ravage the planet around the towers as they moved creating a planetary scar. The towers completely circled the planet only to stop exactly where it began on the surface.

With a deafening roar from the lions head, the ground opened up and swallowed all three towers whole.

Throughout the centuries no one has been able to locate the towers. The only trace of their existence is the scar left behind which now is the natural dividing line between the two hemispheres of Eternia.

The Specifics:
    Far below Castle Grayskull beyond the crystal platforms where light dare not go, lies a gaping cavern that could seemingly contain Eternia itself. From the base of the cavern a mountain stretches to the core of the darkness. Perched atop are the three towers: Goodness, Evil and Balance.

The towers are so massive that a giant could not reach to touch the top of the doorway into the tower of Goodness. The size of the towers eclipsed only by the beast they are built on.

Now about the artwork, I know there doesn't appear to be legs, but it's only because I didn't spend the time to draw them in. Instead I just filled in a huge black spot to hide them.

I found myself short of time, and was only able to draw up one of the three towers. That might make my entry ineligible, but I don't mind--I wanted to do this one anyways. Hopefully I'll get around to drawing up the other two someday. For now, here's the Central Tower of Eternia:

The subtitle comes from the He-Man mini-comic about the Three Towers.

My take on the Central Tower is an attempt to ground the playset in 'reality.' The griffin statues were gold on the original toy, but I gave made them less eye-catching in my version to avoid drawing attention away from the Guard Lion, who really is the main attraction here. I tried to create a sense of the epic size of this thing... to give you a better idea of what I had in mind--ten adults could stand comfortably abreast in each of the windows located near the top of the tower.

By the way, does anyone else think the Central Tower must be cousins with the Cave of Wonders from Disney's Aladdin?
    Visit my sketchblog at its new URL: JASONBOT.com!

ink..very cool concept...

and bootleg what a beautiful piece.. i hope you are still eligable...it is just a wonder to look at
    http://bugshido.deviantart.com/

Be apart of the "Gatchgrey and Royal-T present: the Bug-Shido Staction Character Contest"
    details here http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=176988

Chicago, Illinois (but my heart will always be in the UK)
    Ink F301, I really enjoyed your image as well as the story behind it! And, Bootleg, your piece, too, is amazing. Even if you don't finish them in time for this competition, I would love to see your take on the other two towers!
    Dark Legacies
    MVC Comics - Collected Info About the Comics

Facebook

To the Powers that Be: Give me a proper King Miro figure, please!!

Quote Originally Posted by Telkan2 View Post
    [B] ...And, Bootleg, your piece, too, is amazing. Even if you don't finish them in time for this competition, I would love to see your take on the other two towers!
    Agreed! I would definitely like to see the other two!

Quote Originally Posted by bootleg View Post
    By the way, does anyone else think the Central Tower must be cousins with the Cave of Wonders from Disney's Aladdin?
    Heh I thought that too...

"Only one may enter here... a trollan in the rough...."
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

Bootleg! Finally. I like what you've done here, chiseling out the lion-form a bit more, and toning the colours down. Would your version still feature the rail-system, once completely assembled?

InkF301: Glad you found us! It's been a long time since we saw you in these parts. Welcome back mate. ^^ Yours is quite possibly THE most massive version of all of the redesigns in this thread. Me like! I wonder tho, if the green tower symbolises life... does it contain lower lifeforms, like is it filled with hanging garden and bugs?

Pat: Hurry up, you...! Do you think you could get it done for later this evening? I can help you out with some basic colours as well, of course.

thanks everyone! i'll try to get working on the other two towers while i have a bit of momentum working on environments. when i do those, they'll be posted in my 'regular' motu/pop thread (always linked in my sig). i genuinely appreciate the interest.

Bootleg! Finally. I like what you've done here, chiseling out the lion-form a bit more, and toning the colours down. Would your version still feature the rail-system, once completely assembled?
    hey Pred... sorry for keeping you waiting until the last minute! as illustrated here, this is the central tower in the "present" day, an abandoned ruin. the way i envision it, in eternia's golden age of peace, there would have been a full-blown transcontinental monorail system, travelling between not just the three towers, but many points of interest on eternia. of course such a rail system is useless when it travels through warring lands, so the remnants of it have long since been destroyed and been lost to errosion and time. (and in case anyone is wondering, i actually thought of this before i drew it, it's not just a long winded excuse for leaving out the monorail )

Boot THat is Fantastic. I love how it is cell shaded & yet appears to have that 3d type of feel. Awesome work!
    My DA Page

www.TheBeastLegion.com is officially online. You can read the Manga in it's entirity there! Hope you give it a try enjoy it.

Beast Legion FaceBook Page ...Join me & help spread the word!!

thanks Jazyl!

it is more or less cell shaded, but i used a rough-edged brush with opacity set to pen pressure, which gives it a different look than my usual MOTU pics. cell shading with just a tiny hint of a painterly style.

Glad you found us! It's been a long time since we saw you in these parts. Welcome back mate. ^^ Yours is quite possibly THE most massive version of all of the redesigns in this thread. Me like! I wonder tho, if the green tower symbolises life... does it contain lower lifeforms, like is it filled with hanging garden and bugs?
    Glad to drop in myself, I've been very very busy with work lately. I just missed playing around with these redesigns so I had to throw my hat in. If I had more time I would have made it a bit more polished.

As for the 'life' concept, absolutely. The darker green around the base is a forest. When the tower was created there weren't any lifeforms but over the ages evolution has taken place to create simple bugs and such critters. There aren't any monkeys or boar, nothing like that though (although I'm sure they would appear in the future, aka evolution). In my mind the image of a forest growing in the complete vapid darkness of the cavern and actually supporting life hints at how completely overwhelming the powers of the tower really are.

On another note, I'd like to clarify that in my opinion, no one, not even the Sorceress knows where the towers are. I feel that the towers would make themselves known only in order to save Eternia from total destruction. And yes, that does mean that the towers can think and feel. The beast they are built on is more golem than creature, reacting to the will of the towers.

But enough of my rambling, haha. I'm just glad to be apart of it again and get to see all the other awesome designs.

Bootleg, your drawing is fantastic and I can't wait to see the other two towers.

TechTrek, I like the design you went with but I can't get a sense of scale. Are they giants or more ordinary sized? Any story to the design or did I skim past it, because they look like they have an wonderful tale to tell (I really like the story aspect of redesigns ).

gatchagrey, you and I were of similar minds by going the route of walking creatures. They say great minds think alike. I really like how you not only made the 'towers' look different, but you seemingly gave each a distinct personality which shows through in the design.

Monikasvo, as usual you pulled off a great blend of the familiar design and a new invigorating look. Now I want to go get out my snake mountain playset.

JonWes, that looks bad ***. Those are towers you don't want to mess with.

2-bad, very sweet pic. I never expect anything less than stellar from you.

These are all looking awesome Loving Inkf301's concept. Wish I'd had time to do something for this but i've been super busy. I'll try to get back in for the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ink F301 View Post
    Glad to drop in myself, I've been very very busy with work lately. I just missed playing around with these redesigns so I had to throw my hat in. If I had more time I would have made it a bit more polished.

As for the 'life' concept, absolutely. The darker green around the base is a forest. When the tower was created there weren't any lifeforms but over the ages evolution has taken place to create simple bugs and such critters. There aren't any monkeys or boar, nothing like that though (although I'm sure they would appear in the future, aka evolution). In my mind the image of a forest growing in the complete vapid darkness of the cavern and actually supporting life hints at how completely overwhelming the powers of the tower really are.

On another note, I'd like to clarify that in my opinion, no one, not even the Sorceress knows where the towers are. I feel that the towers would make themselves known only in order to save Eternia from total destruction. And yes, that does mean that the towers can think and feel. The beast they are built on is more golem than creature, reacting to the will of the towers.

But enough of my rambling, haha. I'm just glad to be apart of it again and get to see all the other awesome designs.

Bootleg, your drawing is fantastic and I can't wait to see the other two towers.

TechTrek, I like the design you went with but I can't get a sense of scale. Are they giants or more ordinary sized? Any story to the design or did I skim past it, because they look like they have an wonderful tale to tell (I really like the story aspect of redesigns ).

gatchagrey, you and I were of similar minds by going the route of walking creatures. They say great minds think alike. I really like how you not only made the 'towers' look different, but you seemingly gave each a distinct personality which shows through in the design.

Monikasvo, as usual you pulled off a great blend of the familiar design and a new invigorating look. Now I want to go get out my snake mountain playset.

JonWes, that looks bad ***. Those are towers you don't want to mess with.

2-bad, very sweet pic. I never expect anything less than stellar from you.
    Hey hey, this is from a page or 2 ago!

My interpretation was inspired more by gatchagrey.

i thought of them as people.

I still have to color mine, but here they are.

_________

in the days of the ancients there were men. and there were snakes.

the men were good. and fought for peace.

the snakes were evil, and fought for power.

there were also the felines. (i forgot what they were called)

soon though a new evil came about. much much too strong for the men to defeat. or the snakes.

the felines were a peaceful race, and did not involve them selves in the wars of man and the wars of snake.

the elders (or ancients) knew that the only way to defeat this evil was to combine the forces of man and snake.

they chose. (enter name here) from the royal guard. the best fighter of them all, but knew that he was nothing more than man.

and they chose. (snake) from the ways of evil. he was the viper whose knowledge of wizardry was beyond anyone who slithered on his belly.

the two fought. they could not work together and time was running out.
    then the elders went to the peaceful felinus race. they chose a feline of Valor, and strength. to lead the other 2, and he would be a mediator, and keep things in line.

this group of 3 fought off that evil. they won the battle that day. their names are unknown though, for they chose to keep them a secret. "we deserve no credit" they bowed before the ancients.

for a moment in time, if only for a moment.
    men.
    snake
    and feline lived in harmony. celebrating their victory.

they are simply known as the 3 towers of eternia. their legend echos through the land.

let me know what you think.

and i want to thank predabot for the coloring. I am really impressed. also, i thought of the good tower as a normal human, but the more i see his color of his skin as green the more it grows on me, like he is from another part of eternia (isnt kronis blue?) or something like thank.

thanks again.!

Movie mayhem!
    scanning..............

Keep scanning!

Movie mayhem!
    Ok here they are. I reimagined there as cosmic enforcer space stations floating in space. At some point they crash into eternia and their inhabitants build the monorail connecting them.

Tower 1, has a biosphere at the top were plant life grows, it was build as an outer space jail. When it crashed many alien species escaped into eternia.

Tower 2 main headquarters or the cosmic enforcers the outer ring is for ship docking

Tower 3 Planet destroyer, snake head is actually a giant space cannon.

When you color feel free to put them together into one picture floating next to eachother in space.

Quote Originally Posted by bootleg View Post
    I found myself short of time, and was only able to draw up one of the three towers. That might make my entry ineligible, but I don't mind--I wanted to do this one anyways. Hopefully I'll get around to drawing up the other two someday.

AMAZING!!
    I hope you get around to the other 2 towers!