Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you want to see in a MOTUClassics cartoon series?

There have been alot of great ideas in this thread

I would like to see MOTUC designs with MYP storytelling. Add in to that the flashback arcs to Preternia and flashforward arcs to NA, tie in POP and you have the Ultimate cartoon

Mattel should test the waters and do 5-10 minute shorts like GI Joe Resolute. Direct-to-DVD is also another great way to get the cartoon out there

Money is always going to be the issue with MOTU, such as what we are currently seeing in the MOTUC line, so perhaps Mattel could do a 60-90 second animation teaser and release it at a 'con like Hasbro did with the Resolute teaser. This is the best way to guage interest

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by upinout202 View Post
    Here, Here!

King Grayskull worked fine for the MYP toon, but I would be happier if he was left alone as an exclusive part of that particular incarnation of MOTU.
    I agree.

I also think that the Filmation Chicken Suit Sorceress should be left alone as an exclusive part of that particular incarnation of MOTU.

Could be interesting to say the least.

I want to see this on a new "cartoon"...

LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

I agree about Alcala style animation!

Darker toned stories with the moral heart of Filmation, and bulging realistic animation with bright colors. And tone it down a notch from 200X...I mean, jumping 300 feet into the air while spinning your staff like a freaking helicopter rotor...COME ON. I know it's fantasy, but geez...

NONE OF THIS ANGULAR HE-MANIME STUFF!!!

Quote Originally Posted by upinout202 View Post
    King Grayskull worked fine for the MYP toon, but I would be happier if he was left alone as an exclusive part of that particular incarnation of MOTU.
    I agree with this too.

I put my KG with my 200X collection, and i'll have He-Ro serve as Adam's ancestor as was originally intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Power Sword View Post
    I'm gonna do a more detailed post on what I want in a new cartoon later, but I didn't want to forget this idea.

You know how in the mini-comics He-Man was the wandering barbarian, as was mentioned in this very thread? What do you folks think of the idea of Adam being sent away for protection or he was kidnapped along with Adora, if they go that route with her, but some how, the kidnappers lose Adam & he gets found by a tribe & grows up with them, becoming the strongest & bravest, like in the comics, & as he's traveling, the Sorceress finds him & reveals him as Prince Adam of the House Of Randor, as well as bestowing him with the power of Grayskull.

That would tie both the mini-comics & Filmation stories together.

It could make for some interesting barbarian adjusting to the life of a prince stories, but if he's already a warrior, people would see that Adam is He-Man.
    Maybe they could give Adam brown hair & have him wear a brown loincloth & black boots, WB/Savage He-Man style & when he transforms, he turns blonde? I don't know, it's late, I'm gonna hit the sack.
    There are parts of this storyline that I really love!

I'd like to see a GIJoe: Resolute type of thing done with the animated style of Filmation, and more gritty/edgy. A couple of the annoying characters getting axed for dramatic effect would be nice. I'm looking at you, Snout Spout, Stinkor, and Madame Razz!

Honestly, since I'm kinda hooked on the new Bios (say what you will about them), I'd like a toon to follow that story, from Adam's first stint as He-Man, with flashback episodes, etc. to really spell out the new mythology put forth in Classics.

Alcala-style animation would be hot, though, and I would also hope for the heart that Filmation managed to inject into its series.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

a continuation story, with all mythos merged. What happens AFTER He-man heads to the future ? When does he come back ? Is Eternia still standing ?
    Once you kill the cow, you gotta make a burger
    Positive Trade with : Thehorde,

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    Honestly, since I'm kinda hooked on the new Bios (say what you will about them), I'd like a toon to follow that story, from Adam's first stint as He-Man, with flashback episodes, etc. to really spell out the new mythology put forth in Classics.
    I feel like I have been saying this so much lately that I am sounding like a broken record but this is exactly what I want

Heroic Warrior
    I would love a MOTUC cartoon. However, I think it should be tastefully done and well marketed. I think it would be in Mattel's best interest to create 2 versions--one saluting the classics for the adult collectors and another for the kiddies. This time, let's let the cartoons pay for themselves. Release the cartoons through Amazon and iTunes to be purchased and downloaded. I feel the morals should be included, especially on the kiddies' version. It would be very wise for Mattel to introduce these to schools. Can you imagine that? All the kids reading He-Man and She-Ra stories and watching the shows. This would increase demand for the characters.

SIDE NOTE: There are a few things that I'd like to see changed. The sorceress shouldn't be powerless outside of Castle Grayskull. I mean, she cast a spell to wipe the memories of all but 4 people on Eternia so they wouldn't remember Adora after her capture. Attack Track's complex decision making and conversations with the characters weren't my favorite thing. Cringer has to talk! Also, he's a big cat, so he shouldn't have a kitten's meow.
    Last edited by enlightenedbray; July 1, 2009 at 05:36am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    There have been alot of great ideas in this thread

I would like to see MOTUC designs with MYP storytelling. Add in to that the flashback arcs to Preternia and flashforward arcs to NA, tie in POP and you have the Ultimate cartoon

Most definitely. I would like to see a series of direct to video DVDs like DBZ or like DC comics is doing right now with alot of their characters. I think the direct to DVD format would have alot of advantages like;
    1)the product won't be driven by ratings like a cartoon would,
    2)Mattel could keep the adult collector aim, and
    3)they would have more latitutude for PG-13 type violence.

It would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by enlightenedbray View Post
    I would love a MOTUC cartoon. However, I think it should be tastefully done and well marketed. I think it would be in Mattel's best interest to create 2 versions--one saluting the classics for the adult collectors and another for the kiddies. This time, let's let the cartoons pay for themselves. Release the cartoons through Amazon and iTunes to be purchased and downloaded. I feel the morals should be included, especially on the kiddies' version. It would be very wise for Mattel to introduce these to schools. Can you imagine that? All the kids reading He-Man and She-Ra stories and watching the shows. This would increase demand for the characters.

SIDE NOTE: There are a few things that I'd like to see changed. The sorceress shouldn't be powerless outside of Castle Grayskull. I mean, she cast a spell to wipe the memories of all but 4 people on Eternia so they wouldn't remember Adora after her capture. Attack Track's complex decision making and conversations with the characters weren't my favorite thing. Cringer has to talk! Also, he's a big cat, so he shouldn't have a kitten's meow.
    I don't think they should do one for the kiddies. The action figure market isn't fueled by sales from parents buying for kiddies. It is driven by collectors. Kids are not into action figures like we were when we were kids. So I think 5 minute webisodes geared towards adults would be the best market strategy for mattel.

Heroic Peace Officer Eternian Knight's Avatar
    I would like to see direct to DVDs movies based on the
    combined mythos. Some flashbacks about He-Ro and
    KG would be cool. Maybe a subplot of the future of
    He-man and the Masters (King Adam)

Um... of course!!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 8.31.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

There is a demand for it so hopefully Mattel has some plans to release more media tie ins with MOTUC

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Direct to Video movies work out for DC and Marvel, so far.

Assuming we can't get the voices from both Filmation and MYP (even though Gary Chalk does EVERYTHING LOL!), who would you want voicing the characters?

Kevin Michael Richardson as Beast Man.

I play this in my head each night.

If they were to do another He-Man cartoon is should be written similar to the way Star Trek: Deep Space Nine was written. You should have a group of say 5 or 6 mainish characters, each of them able to have a stand alone episode but focusing on a main character (Sisko or He-Man).

You should also have a overall story that you are trying to tell. Something that not every episode is about, but the overall story arch that you would sum up in the final season of the show. (however long that happens to last). For instance, in Deep Space Nine, there was the hint of the Dominion, followed by the introduction of the dominion, followed by the war with the Dominion, and finally in the last season, the victory over the Dominion. All that time there was still the main story of Capt. Sisko and his rise from just a commander to the Emissary of the Prophets, to his ascension into the Worm Hole. Now that took 7 years of DS9 to tell. There were -many- episodes between the "main story" episodes that focuses on character development. (Julian and Miles becoming friends, Worf's relationship with Jadzia, Quark having to deal with the Nagis and the Ferengi alliance).

Now those are just my main characters. I am sure if you read above you can see where you can replace proper nouns and come up with a good He-Man story. For instance:

Enternos being the main setting with Randor, Marlena, Adam, Man at Arms, Teela, Orko, Ram Man, and He-Man. They know about Skeletor and they often have skeletor as their main antagonist, but as the show progresses you hear hints of the Horde (or some other villain) and then as the show matures that villain becomes (the Horde as a whole) more powerful than even just Skeletor. Think of SKeletor as a Gul Dukat figure and the Horde representing the Dominion. Once the Dominion occupies Cardassian space, Dukat works for the Dominion to. Anyway... you get my point about the villains.

Another thing that worked well in DS9 was the recurring characters that were regular enough to be considered "main" but were not in every episode so they were more like costars. The Grand Negis, Gul Dukat, Garrak, Rom, Nog, Vedict Wynn, Martok, Weyoon... and so on and so forth. In those episodes when those familiar extras were involved, the story revolved mostly around them and their presence, with our main characters having to react or help them.

If the story was written like this it would leave room for flashbacks (time travel episodes etc) and even flash forwards (hey, the gateways in Grayskull can go to some strange places). It would leave room for the Horde arch and the She-ra Arch as a "side arch" but still draw it into the big picture so that by the end of the series, they are all one big story.

I also think they should have continuation. Not just 2 parters, but like 4 or 5 parters that lead the main story arch closer to the end, and then room for 5 or 6 episodes of "character development" stories in the middle. That way when you are just about tired of seeing Orko learn a valuable lesson, a Horde Scout ship appears out of the sky and crashes into the side of Snake Mountain, or even the Palace.

As far as action is concerned, I think we need a mix between 200x and Filmation. In filmation He-Man was mighty enough to push the bad guy down over and over until Beast-Man was so tired of being covered with mud and humiliated he would just go home. It really showed He-Man as being strong but not violent, but the action scenes could be a little better. In 200x you had He-Man grabbing Whiplash by the tail and then bashing him into a rock surface. It looked cool, and still showed the mighty, but it was just too violent. He-Man doesn't really need to bash you into a rock until you are unconscious. That’s pretty violent for a "supreme moral figure" which he represented. But a good mix of both would make it moral and child friendly, but also action enough for older kids and adults.

I also think that the show's villains should have a darker image to them. Filmation has Skeletor being feared but also kind of a bumbling fool. In 200x he was still a bit bumbling and his lines weren't all that well written. His laugh also got on my nerves a bit in 200x. But definitely make the bad guys a real threat. The good guys are called Masters of the Universe, so the bad guys they face better have that "if we win the universe is our slave" feel too it. That way you can really see the power involved with Greyskull and the fact that in some instances, it’s the pure goodness of the heroes that wins, and not just their strength.

Well... If they were to make a show... I think it should go like that. Animated ofcourse. And I certainly don't want it to be a Deep Space Nine rip off, like it may have seemed in my description. I just think that DS9 has a certain mixture of fantasy and scifi and the story telling was phenomenal. It could definitely work for He-Man.

So... What do you guys think?

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Blood and lots of it...from both genders. In this age of equality its time to portray said beliefs. In a fantasy world inhabited by warriors, male and female, it is with high probability that there would be death tolls in both genders. Especially in this particularly violent world of Eternia. Odds are there are going to be some injuries or even fatalities among the female warriors. So, hyper-realism in the body count of both sexes.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    More gore. And a very crisp animation style very similar to the action figures. And lots & lots of character variety. And more gore. I mean, it does say "Adult Collector" on the package doesnt it?

It would really suck if the adult collectors who made this line so popular (which would ultimately be the reason a cartoon series was even possible if that ever happens) got forgotten by Mattel if they chose to do a kid oriented MOTUC series.

Heroic Warrior
    Just like the original Filmation cartoon, but a lot darker, or Alcala style.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    I want it to encompass all the mythos like the figures are doing.

Most episodes should be in the "present day", but I want a handful of flashback episodes with King Grayskull and He-Ro and flashforward episodes with New Adventures.

And since we don't know how POP is going to be mixed in, I wouldn't mind seeing some She-Ra centric episodes if she's still on Etheria - both with and without He-Man crossovers.

I think showing the whole timeline would add a really epic feel to the series.
    I was thinking the same thing! Although my first thought was to have half episodes every now and then. Like Tiny Toons or Brave the Bold, just split a standard episode in half and tell a smaller adventure with He-Man and then one with She-Ra, or NA He-Man and then King Grayskull or He-Ro. But then I thought most people would want something with a more chronological mythology. Flashbacks would be real good though, maybe multi-part story arcs that explore all the history like they did on Gargoyles a few times.

mee too, i like to see them mix em up like they did with the motuc bios

I think it should be closer to the MYP series in that it has an actual story arch but I too want it to focus on He-man and his trials rather than Duncan.

I know many of you want blood and guts spilling out but I would like that toned down to like a pg 13 level. I say that because while I too love action and voilence I enjoy watching MOTU toons with my two daughters and at 4 and 6 years old I'm not sure I would feel comfortable allowing them to see Ram Man losing a leg or Stratos arm being ripped off or the Sorceress getting her head lopped off by Skelly. my 2 cents.

But If they made it that way I would still buy it, just not let the kids see it

Yes, MOTUClassics cartoon series is necessary, with the motuc bios, with King Grayskull and He-Ro cartoon series and POP cartoon series.
    It is the best idea of all times!!!