View Poll Results: How Fast Will Zodac Sell Out?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • 30 Minutes

36 62.07%
  • 10 Minutes

1 1.72%
  • 13 Seconds

4 6.90%
  • He's Already Loooong Gone

17 29.31%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Fast Will ZODAC Sell Out?

No joke. That will be a fun day, won't it?

And for the record, Big Z is still available , even now. Poor guy is going to develop a complex!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

I think that Zodac's non immediate sell out is a product of both lower demand for the character, and overall less quality compared to the other figures. I truly believe in my humble opinion that Zodac is the weakest figure thus far in MOTUC. Not bad by action figure standards, just not as good as the others. Let's examine the sales history and the reasons for each result:

1. December- He-Man shockingly sits around for almost a month while us MOTUC preachers try to convince everyone to rush out and buy him. It takes over a month for Beast Man to sell out. What are the factors? First of all it's the holiday season, and money is tighter than usual anyway, secondly, word is not yet fully spread to the mainstream collectors and scalpers. Also, He-Man is produced in larger quantities than Beastman and others in the first few months

2. January- Skeletor is the first legitimate success, selling out in about half the time of He-Man if I remember right. The reviews and publicity for He-Man and Skeletor have effected scalpers and mainstream collectors alike, coupled with everyone's love of one of their fav childhood villains.

3. February- Stratos sells out in a day. Amazing, collectors everywhere are taken aback. We'll never really know who the driving force behind the sales of this secondary character was, but it's possible scalpers capitalized on the Skeletor incident, or maybe there was just more fans of the character than anticipated. However, I suspect his sell out had more to do with new fans trying to jump on the bandwagon after hearing about the sell outs, or perhaps even MOTU fans who had scoffed before realizing that this thing was real.

4. March- Faker is available in low quantities because of his con exclusitivity, and sells out in an hour. Probably the fastest sell out of a re-paint ever lol. I think that perhaps there were many in the mainstream not aware of the limited quantities and so the press generated by his apparent sell out really helped solidify the line as a huge success.

5. April- Mer-Man is perhaps the first "cult" fan favorite character to receive a figure, and it shows. He is the first figure to get an increased production run. Mer-Man's first production run sells out in mere minutes, while his second does the same. A great figure, a better value (extra head, more original sculpt work (vest trident, etc), and a huge cult following made Mer-Man and instant success. Expect the same to happen for Hordak.

6. May- Zodac is released but in my opinion, he is much less aesthetically pleasing than the ones before, not to mention he is without the cult following of Mer-Man and he has less original sculpting than any to come before (besides Faker), his look, while based exactly upon the original (flesh toned skeletor arms and beast feet) leaves me feeling like this figure was almost exploitation for how far Mattel was willing to go to save on sculpt costs back in the day. In my mind, I definitely see Zodac without the arm fins and monster feet. These factors lead to a delay in the sell out and we're not sure when that will happen at this time. Although I make it out to sound like he's a failure, he most assuredly is not and will probably be sold out in a couple of days if not less, I'm just trying to justify what could have happened between the ultra fast Mer-Man sell out in minutes, and the now forthcoming days sell out for Zodac.

Predictions: Hordak will be huge, much like Mer-Man. He-Ro will be a struggle just to get ahold of for every single one of us. Man at Arms will be a big success. Tri-Klops will have similar sell time as Zodac. And Webstor will be an easy sell out due to his inclusion in the subscription service, a huge limiting factor on the quantities available to the non subscriber. One can only hope Mattel is ready to increase the number for the 4 remaining figures.

Overall: What can I say, I'm stunned, I never would have expected this line to take off the way it did after the halfway sluggish sales of He-Man and Beastman. It makes me happy to know that collectors will respond to good product no matter what!
    Last edited by ThunderPuncher; May 16, 2009 at 09:44am.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderPuncher View Post
    Tri-Klops will have similar sell time as Zodac.
    Excellent post, Thunder Puncher ... just not that little remark on Tri-Klops!
    He'll go as fast as the Armed Man, at least!
    IMHO, of course!
    Armageddon will soon be here,
    the sinners will meet their fate.
    But I am calm and without fear,
    as I feed upon my hate.

Overall: What can I say, I'm stunned, I never would have expected this line to take off the way it did after the halfway sluggish sales of He-Man and Beastman. It makes me happy to know that collectors will respond to good product no matter what!
    I think it took time for some people to realize that there was another line out for He-Man. No doubt as more people discover the line, the more people will be coming onto MattyCollector for the figures. He-Man and Beastman being the first official non-exclusive characters just didn't see the mass buyers until people saw that they were out and got there in time to get Skeletor, hence why he sold out so quickly.

Drewsky...
    Quote Originally Posted by King Grayskull
    By my name shall my decendents have the honor and power to combat evil.
    -----
    There's a third sword of Grayskull...I know it!
    -----
    http://eternia.4t.com
    UNDER RENOVATIONS! Try the first & only Classic line Create-A-Figure!
    -----
    WANTED: MOC MOTUC Whiplash, MOC MOTUC Roboto

Heroic Master Of Bad Luck
    I think that Zodac's non immediate sell out is a product of both lower demand for the character, and overall less quality compared to the other figures. I truly believe in my humble opinion that Zodac is the weakest figure thus far in MOTUC. Not bad by action figure standards, just not as good as the others. Let's examine the sales history and the reasons for each result:

1. December- He-Man shockingly sits around for almost a month while us MOTUC preachers try to convince everyone to rush out and buy him. It takes over a month for Beast Man to sell out. What are the factors? First of all it's the holiday season, and money is tighter than usual anyway, secondly, word is not yet fully spread to the mainstream collectors and scalpers. Also, He-Man is produced in larger quantities than Beastman and others in the first few months

2. January- Skeletor is the first legitimate knock out success, selling out in a day or two if I remember right. The reviews and publicity for He-Man and Skeletor have effected scalpers and mainstream collectors alike, coupled with everyone's love of one of their fav childhood villains.

3. February- Stratos sells out in a day. Amazing, collectors everywhere are taken aback. We'll never really know who the driving force behind the sales of this secondary character was, but it's possible scalpers capitalized on the Skeletor incident, or maybe there was just more fans of the character than anticipated. However, I suspect his sell out had more to do with new fans trying to jump on the bandwagon after hearing about the sell outs, or perhaps even MOTU fans who had scoffed before realizing that this thing was real.

4. March- Faker is available in low quantities because of his con exclusitivity, and sells out in an hour. Probably the fastest sell out of a re-paint ever lol. I think that perhaps there were many in the mainstream not aware of the limited quantities and so the press generated by his apparent sell out really helped solidify the line as a huge success.

5. April- Mer-Man is perhaps the first "cult" fan favorite character to receive a figure, and it shows. He is the first figure to get an increased production run. Mer-Man's first production run sells out in mere minutes, while his second does the same. A great figure, a better value (extra head, more original sculpt work (vest trident, etc), and a huge cult following made Mer-Man and instant success. Expect the same to happen for Hordak.

6. May- Zodac is released but in my opinion, he is much less aesthetically pleasing than the ones before, not to mention he is without the cult following of Mer-Man and he has less original sculpting than any to come before (besides Faker), his look, while based exactly upon the original (flesh toned skeletor arms and beast feet) leaves me feeling like this figure was almost exploitation for how far Mattel was willing to go to save on sculpt costs back in the day. In my mind, I definitely see Zodac without the arm fins and monster feet. These factors lead to a delay in the sell out and we're not sure when that will happen at this time. Although I make it out to sound like he's a failure, he most assuredly is not and will probably be sold out in a couple of days if not less, I'm just trying to justify what could have happened between the ultra fast Mer-Man sell out in minutes, and the now forthcoming days sell out for Zodac.

Predictions: Hordak will be huge, much like Mer-Man. He-Ro will be a struggle just to get ahold of for every single one of us. Man at Arms will be a big success. Tri-Klops will have similar sell time as Zodac. And Webstor will be an easy sell out due to his inclusion in the subscription service, a huge limiting factor on the quantities available to the non subscriber. One can only hope Mattel is ready to increase the number for the 4 remaining figures.

I think pretty much in that way
    Just a little correction : Skelly sells out in 12 days, and then Stratos in 3 days. For Faker i believe it was 3 hours. But in essence it is just like you said.
    Zodac will be similar to Stratos...
    Hordak, He-ro and Teela, when her time come, will be similar to Merman IMO, a real chaos! Triklops and MAA will sell out very fast, 1 day, 2 maybe
    We are ka-tet. We are one from many

Don't hesitate in make deals with: JeMaBo2, air23cnhit.

Quote Originally Posted by tsubasamaxi View Post
    I think pretty much in that way
    Just a little correction : Skelly sells out in 12 days, and then Stratos in 3 days. For Faker i believe it was 3 hours. But in essence it is just like you said.
    Zodac will be similar to Stratos...
    Hordak, He-ro and Teela, when her time come, will be similar to Merman IMO, a real chaos! Triklops and MAA will sell out very fast, 1 day, 2 maybe
    thanks for the correction, lol, since I was trying to remember all that stuff right off the top of my head I was counting on you guys to fill in my "fact gaps". I'm just thrilled the line is going so well, and I can't wait to see what happens next. As much as I dread trying to fight my way to Hordak and He-Ro, at the same time the prospects of a sell out in less than an hour of a character like He-Ro thrills me to my core. Very exciting stuff!

Recently moved to GA! Help! I need to know new people!
    Zodac is still hanging there!

Why does this feel like 10 to 15 years down the line, he'll worth more than the others?
    By the Power... and For the Honor of GRAYSKULL!!!
    HE-MAN and SHE-RA Rules!!!

"Frustration is only felt when one realizes there is an option!"
    - Ancient One (BeastMaster: The Series; Fifth Element)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from MAGIC!
    - Clarke's Third Law

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    I think Mattel fixed the internet page and fans didn’t order doubles by mistake.

Movie mayhem!
    Its only been about 31 hours... just a bit over a day lol not 2 or 3... that said i do agree, I knew he wouldn't be AS popular but I'm surprised he's still available.

It hasn't even been a day-and-a-half. He-Man, Skeletor, Stratos and Beast Man all took longer to sell out, so it's yet to be seen what will happen here. Popularity-wise, a lot of members keep comparing him to Stratos, which took 3 days to sell out, but you have to keep in mind that Stratos probably had a lower production numbers.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Zodac picked up alot of fans with the 200x version. And it was nice to see him fleshed out a bit mroe in the new cartoon for that line. I am pretty shocked he hasn't sold out yet. Though it would be nice if they finaly started getting enough of everyone to give people time to get him and not have to be in that 1 or 2 hour window or else your off to eBay.
    Kinda nice to see him sticking around a little while. Hope Hordak lasts a little bit as well.
    Find what you seek only when you look in the right places...

Recently moved to GA! Help! I need to know new people!
    Are there still people ordering Zodac at this time?
    Last edited by GrtEternal; May 17, 2009 at 04:26pm.
    By the Power... and For the Honor of GRAYSKULL!!!
    HE-MAN and SHE-RA Rules!!!

"Frustration is only felt when one realizes there is an option!"
    - Ancient One (BeastMaster: The Series; Fifth Element)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from MAGIC!
    - Clarke's Third Law

Elder Councilman
    Quote Originally Posted by GrtEternal View Post
    Zodac is still hanging there!

Why does this feel like 10 to 15 years down the line, he'll worth more than the others?
    I totally agree with you.
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room