Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.16!

I am happy to read other folks suggesting the Battle Ram! I think it would be perfect to introduce it as the first vehicle.

Next, I'm not too happy about the "hint" that "Hordak" is a military name and not his real name. I never liked the idea of Horde Prime anyway. After all, Hordak was tagged as "The Ruthless Leader of the Evil Horde."

On another note, I had previously posted a question about Hordak's bat shield that no one commented on. Again, this may have already been posted by someone else, but has anyone noticed that it looks a bit "Imp"-ish? (If you catch my meaning).

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    7. There are fans who are a little weary that other armored figures such as King Randor, Fisto, Clawful and so on will be showing their abs like Hordak. Do you know if this will be the case, or will they have armor that goes all the way down their upper torso like the classic 80s figures?[/I]
    The figure doesn’t actually show his “abs”. A new “armor” mid torso piece is designed by the Horsemen to be part of the overall armor look which is broken in two to allow for articulation. And yes, this will be the design for all armored figures in the line.
    This hurts my heart, lol *sigh* Looks like my MOTUC full armor producing skills are going to be put to the test

Am extremely displeased with this decision- not the end of the world by any means- and I still love ya Mattel, but it's just really aggravating for those who don't like this, because it's not an easy fix. So will more than likely only pick up characters I really, really have been looking forward to, such as Hordak and He-Ro- but won't be purchasing future figures that sport the half-armor. The MOTUC figures of the original 8 back came out great though- so at least I get those the way I like 'em!

Aside from that- am glad to hear Clawdeen mentioned, and also glad to hear again about the up in production numbers for future figures. Nice round of answers- even though that half-armor thing drives me up the wall. *LOL- it's like that line from the Lo Pan character from Big Trouble In Little China- "Now this really ****es me off to no end!"

How do we start a serious "anti-abs" petition?

Hey guys, is anyone as dismayed as I am about their answer to the lower-armor/abs question?

If they really intend to give ALL future figures that use rigid "clamshell" armor like Jitsu, King Randor etc. the exposed-abs design (either a smooth moulded piece like Hordak or simply painted abs like He-Ro), the I for one have a BIG problem with this.

My key objections are these:

1] For characters whose armor never had exposed abs originally (Fisto, etc.) this will alter the classic design in an aesthetically displeasing way that really doesn't suit the line's avowed "Classic" approach.

2] Although it's neat to have, the "ab-crunch" articulation really isn't that important (indeed, I'd say it's the LEAST important point of articulation), and compromising the design of the armor to accommodate that articulation really isn't worth it. The overall look of the figure is more important than maximum poseability -- and it's likely that several later characters like Ram Man or Roboto won't even have ab-articulation anyway.

3] Having a painted or remoulded abs/lower torso piece effectively defeats the purpose of having removable armor. Not that I have a tendency to display my figures "shirtless"(!), but what's the point of the armor being removable if what is underneath is an unsightly coloured ab-piece? And if they've tried to blend it my making both pieces of the torso a unified armor color, then I put it to them again: what then is the point of the armor still being removable?

4] Also, if you really think about it, there aren't actually all that many classic MOTU figures that even use ab-covering Clamshell armour. With Clawful and the presumed mould re-use of Fisto/ClampChamp and Jitsu/Randor, we're actually only talking about three sculpts for five characters here, apart from Hordak, so losing articulation on those few isn't really some catastrophic precedent.
    And although I don't know what they intend for characters whose original toys had had clamshell armor that DID expose their abs a little - like Webstor & Mekaneck/Stinkor - HOPEFULLY they'll just leave their abs exposed and unpainted.

Anyway, although it's now been established that they can't make changes to figure tooling once they've been unveiled (although that seemed pretty obvious to me, I must say), hopefully these four characters are not yet far enough along the design process that with sufficient outcry we still have a chance to nip this thing in the bud for future "clamshell"-armored characters.
    I don't think simply mentioning it in future WTFWTKs is going to cut it, so does anyone have a suggestion as to how we can start an organised petition that they may actually listen to? Or am I just spinning my wheels here...?

I'd appreciate people's thoughts, feedback, advice,

Thanks!
    Skells.
    P.S. Sorry for the loooong post.
    Last edited by Skell-Skells; April 16, 2009 at 10:54pm. Reason: Fixing omission.

i liked this Q&A. some good answers. i think my question was answered(the one about having a backorder button so they can gauge intrest). i can't remember if i worded it that way or not. it was answered byt saying they will be making more which doesnt really answer the question lol. they could have just said no

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    So by the time we see the MOTUC figures revealed at SDCC, they are making the figures?

Wow. So there really is no "nipping mistakes in the bud". If Mattel screwed up the original figure they are going to fix it with the eventual re-release figure.
    Oh, well...I've always said Mattel would improve on already released characters.

I was just hoping that if there was something so terrible, that Mattel could catch it and fix it.

As for Hordak, it isn't a title--it happens to be his name and originally he started the Horde, which is named after himself. I didn't think of his name as a code name or title, but a name that happened to be close to the word 'horde'.

Ah, well...perhaps they can change the name back to Hordak for the re-release.
    i was shocked that they felt hordak wasn't a real name. i always had thought it was since i always felt the horde was named after him. oh well at least they admitted their mistake on the double use of evil. knowing it will be changed is fine in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    Sorry, Toyguru.

How is that much of a discrepancy possible with "slight changes in the manufacturing process" and why are Beast Man's and Stratos' identical, and smaller than King Grayskull, He-Man, Skeletor, and Faker, which are also identical to each other?

Shaving this piece down on almost every figure is getting a little old.
    haha i thought there was a dif. i don't think he knows there is a dif. heck, i didnt until i saw this picture. does shaving of that plastic help anything? if it does how does it help?

sure hope mattel sees these pics before they go back into production w. the figures
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    So Zodac is a real name but Hordak is "clearly" a nickname or title?

Sorry Toyguru but it sounds to me like you're desperately trying to justify something that you know was a huge mistake. (Just like Joe Q and that god awful "Spider-Man One More Day" storyline) Hordak's real name is and always was Hordak. At least 99% of the fan base accepted this without question even with the later inclusion of Horde Prime.

Now in all fairness I will say that you are right about many characters needing real names. Particularly if we know they weren't born with the ability the name comes from (e.g. Mekaneck) I remember reading the Mer Man Icons of Evil comic and wondering why his own people were calling him Mer Man.

With that in mind however, speaking personally, and I'm sure many would agree with me, it's not the fact that the characters are getting real names that bothers us it's that the names are what a lot of us feel are SO FREAKING HORRIBLE!!!!! Beast Man's was sort of okay if we take it as a series of animal growls but Squidish Rex? Seriously?

I always listed Mer Man's real name as Oceanor (the figure's foreign name) something you may want to consider for future guys particularly the NA characters (Flipshot= Icarius, Flogg= Brakk)

You see even if we accept that Hordak is not the guy's real name, Hec Tor Kur is just ridiculous. Even Hor Dac Kur would have been better.

So remember not all characters need new names. Teela, Orko, Saurod, Gwildor... sometimes the name given is all we need.
    "How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

So.... it sounds to me like the ab piece is a SEPARATE piece just like the upper armor and can be removed to.... no? I don't have a problem with that.

One thing I found slightly disingenuous was the notion that the mistakes only get highlighted because people pore over them... that's true.... but there's a good reason! This is s collector's line and we're paying $28 a figure! I know that includes shipping but the money is still going out there. I don't think it's too much to ask that the paint be as absolutely as good as it can be. I know it's unrealistic to expect every figure to be 100% perfect but... there are good reasons that people get upset about the worst cases.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    One thing I found slightly disingenuous was the notion that the mistakes only get highlighted because people pore over them... that's true.... but there's a good reason! This is s collector's line and we're paying $28 a figure! I know that includes shipping but the money is still going out there. I don't think it's too much to ask that the paint be as absolutely as good as it can be. I know it's unrealistic to expect every figure to be 100% perfect but... there are good reasons that people get upset about the worst cases.
    Yeah... kinda disingenuous. And at any rate there's no way that incorrect assembly (like two left feet!) is minor in anyone's book, even to a kid. So, even if what they meant was that these problems are being disproportionately publicised compared to a mass-retail line due to a vocal fan base... so what? Major misassembly problems with any kind of frequency is just unacceptable, so Mattel shouldn't try to imply that we're complaining too much about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    So.... it sounds to me like the ab piece is a SEPARATE piece just like the upper armor and can be removed to.... no? I don't have a problem with that.
    No, I'm pretty certain they mean it's not a removable 2nd piece, just that the ab/mid torso piece is standing in for armor. Their wording of 'A new “armor” mid torso piece' and use of quotation marks quite clearly says to me that they're just talking about a new smooth-abbed tool for the lower torso, NOT a secondary removable piece. Unfortunately.

So seriously, guys, who's with me? Abs Petition!? Should I start a new thread for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Skell-Skells View Post
    So seriously, guys, who's with me? Abs Petition!? Should I start a new thread for this?
    Couldn't hurt anything- I'd sign it! lol.

There is a poll going on right now in regard to Hec Tor/Hordak's armor- and not many have voted thus far, but the "full removable armor" option is in the lead by a landslide.

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    9. How about adding a "back order" option to sold-out figures on Matty Collector to help Mattel gauge interest in 2nd edition figures, help Mattel adjust future production runs, plus to notify those customers when that figure returns for reorder?
    We are well aware of greater interest in figures that have been sold out and this is why we will go back into production of them in time.

Sorry TG, but this dosent answer the question, we all know about 2nd production runs and are grateful but we need a pre-order system in place first and a back order system wouldnt hurt either, it would only help gauge how many figures are going to be required (ball park figure anyway).

What i really would like an answer to is a detailed reason why we cant have a pre-order system.
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

[QUOTE=Skell-Skells;2092674] 3] Having a painted or remoulded abs/lower torso piece effectively defeats the purpose of having removable armor. Not that I have a tendency to display my figures "shirtless"(!), but what's the point of the armor being removable if what is underneath is an unsightly coloured ab-piece? And if they've tried to blend it my making both pieces of the torso a unified armor color, then I put it to them again: what then is the point of the armor still being removable?
    [QUOTE]

I agree 100% i'll sign your petition

Heroic Warrior
    Just to address the whole name thing. Is it really that big of a deal? Some people are making it sound like all thier childhood memories are just a sham now. Call the figure what ever you want to call it. Toy Guru himself said the names are a recent addition. I can see a bunch of people chatting in the Mattel breakroom saying just kind of having fun with this whole name thing.

Heroic Master Of Bad Luck
    best Q & A so far!
    Battle Ram and Windraider are on the top of my favorite vehicles!
    And..
    I never thought the horde being named after Hordak. By definition a horde is :A large group or crowd. In this case an EVIL one..
    So, Hordak fits well as a title. If here in the earth we use General to reffer a commissioned rank in the U.S. Army, Air Force, etc. Why Hordak can't be the synonym?
    Ok.. Hek-tor Kur is not a good choice anyway... but i'm ok with the idea of characters getting real names
    We are ka-tet. We are one from many

Don't hesitate in make deals with: JeMaBo2, air23cnhit.

Quote Originally Posted by River View Post
    Couldn't hurt anything- I'd sign it! lol.

There is a poll going on right now in regard to Hec Tor/Hordak's armor- and not many have voted thus far, but the "full removable armor" option is in the lead by a landslide.
    Cool, I'll vote! Where is this Poll?

Quote Originally Posted by Fisto69 View Post
    I agree 100% i'll sign your petition
    Thanks, but it's theoretical at this stage. Any suggestions as to how I could get such a petition going? Or is that indeed the best way of getting their attention about how serious we are about this issue?

Advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Skell-Skells; April 17, 2009 at 09:49am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

*sigh*
    Hordak is his name!!!

It's not a military title! Does this mean Grizzlor can be promoted to "Hordak"?

I would love a Classics Battle Ram, Wind Raider and an Attak Trak!
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    My vehicle votes...

Battle Ram
    Wind Raider
    Attack Trak
    Talon Fighter

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    And DID Hordak start the Horde? What about Horde Prime? Hordak certainly answered to him, as if he was his soldier.
    That's why I said originally. In the original toyline and mini-comics, Hordak answered to no one, the Horde was his group and there was no Horde Prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear-at-Arms View Post
    Just to address the whole name thing. Is it really that big of a deal? Some people are making it sound like all thier childhood memories are just a sham now. Call the figure what ever you want to call it. Toy Guru himself said the names are a recent addition. I can see a bunch of people chatting in the Mattel breakroom saying just kind of having fun with this whole name thing.
    It's more like the principal of something that Mattel decided to add that the fans don't like. Something that most of us don't agree with. The only ones who can fix the problem is Mattel themselves.

This time it is names. The next time it could be a costume color. Or anything else within reason.

If anything is wrong, can we ask Mattel to fix it through popular demand, or is it a situation where we can't change anything, and we should just "shut up and just accept whatever Mattel gives us"?

Quote Originally Posted by Skell-Skells View Post
    Thanks, but it's theoretical at this stage. Any suggestions as to how I could get such a petition going? Or is that indeed the best way of getting their attention about how serious we are about this issue?

Advice would be appreciated.
    Create a thread on the main MOTUC forum and ask people to post to the thread with their support. Keep an overall tally in your opening post, that you'll edit whenever you get more names.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; April 17, 2009 at 10:49am.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    I don't understand why the real names bother so many people, they in no way change the character. I mean is it really that horrible that eterian parents aren't actually naming their kids RAM-MAN, TRI-CLOPS, STINKOR, or MEK-A-NEK. Now if a certain evil warrior ends up having the last name Papadopoulos, I might start to understand the complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody1898 View Post
    I don't understand why the real names bother so many people, they in no way change the character. I mean is it really that horrible that eterian parents aren't actually naming their kids RAM-MAN, TRI-CLOPS, STINKOR, or MEK-A-NEK. Now if a certain evil warrior ends up having the last name Papadopoulos, I might start to understand the complaining.
    And I agree with you.

The problem with Hordak and Zodac soecifically was that those were their given names. Any new names on those characters were unneeded and extraneous, respectively.

It's like making the name "Grizzlor" a title, so that you could give that character a new name.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    *chuckles at the mention of Clawdeen* That's so unexpected, but cool.
    I agree, highlight of the Q&A
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

Heroic Warrior
    And I agree with you.

The problem with Hordak and Zodac soecifically was that those were their given names. Any new names on those characters were unneeded and extraneous, respectively.

It's like making the name "Grizzlor" a title, so that you could give that character a new name.
    Generic Warrior makes phone call: "You'll never guess. I made Grizzlor First Class today. And, there's more - Bob's been promoted to Chief Gwildor Officer."
    ne jabba no badda!

Teh best part was " Bobo the Fighting Guy".

If anything is wrong, can we ask Mattel to fix it through popular demand, or is it a situation where we can't change anything, and we should just "shut up and just accept whatever Mattel gives us"?
    But see, I think THAT is the problem right there. People ARE accepting the names, and they're not only accepting them, it's like they're accepting them as LAW. If you don't like the names, simply ignore them and do not accept them. The character you love has NOT been changed if you don't want him to have been. Ignore the name and then that'll be the end of the story forever.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Heroic Weather Oddity Raining Light's Avatar
    But see, I think THAT is the problem right there. People ARE accepting the names, and they're not only accepting them, it's like they're accepting them as LAW. If you don't like the names, simply ignore them and do not accept them. The character you love has NOT been changed if you don't want him to have been. Ignore the name and then that'll be the end of the story forever.
    But that is not true.
    The names are going down in the book, so to speak.
    Mattel is making them, they own it all(except for Filmation) they are making them law.
    I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity--Edgar Allen Poe

Just because I ignore the new names doesn't mean any new MOTU media will. That's why people want the name issues straightened out while they are relatively obscure. Before Hec-Tor-Kur becomes as normal as calling MAA "Duncan".

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    In the new bio didn't Hec-Tor "take on the title/name" Hordak? If so, I've no problem with that - it makes sense, he's the leader of the Horde, so he should take a title which says so - Hordak.

He can't be born Hordak, which would be a bit dumb - a guy called Hordak who just so happened to pull a gang of villans together called the Horde.

Hail to the King Baby DamnSmooth's Avatar

Not painted abs but....

What if when you take it off and underneath hordak is wearing a sleeveless under shirt with a big old horde logo on his chest or silhouette of a shadow beast.
    "You weren't born into this life to be popular" -- Jimmy Newquist