Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.16!

Quote Originally Posted by Raining Light View Post
    But that is not true.
    The names are going down in the book, so to speak.
    Mattel is making them, they own it all(except for Filmation) they are making them law.
    But, as they've tried to convince us, they don't own our imaginations, which is where MOTU mostly does and should live on, however WE choose for it to.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    In the new bio didn't Hec-Tor "take on the title/name" Hordak? If so, I've no problem with that - it makes sense, he's the leader of the Horde, so he should take a title which says so - Hordak.

He can't be born Hordak, which would be a bit dumb - a guy called Hordak who just so happened to pull a gang of villans together called the Horde.
    That's what I always assumed...an alien called Hordak who named his own gang after himself. And of course, it's simple--it was for children.

Why can't "Hordak" can't be that guy's name? It isn't like he's an Earthling.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Lots of discontent around these parts this week. From Mer-Man to armor to Hordak's name. Not a good few days for Mattel, unless you count the whole "MOTUC is wildly successful right now" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Lots of discontent around these parts this week. From Mer-Man to armor to Hordak's name. Not a good few days for Mattel, unless you count the whole "MOTUC is wildly successful right now" thing.
    This week? This whole month you mean...

Between Hordak's name and armor, Wonder Twins with no Gleek, Maskless Hal Jordan in JLU, and now the whole Mer-Man fiasco, something has gone wrong with almost every major action figure line Mattel has.

Soon I'm half expecting some controversy with Cars, Buzz Lightyear or DC Infinite Heroes.

I think it's some kind of "Britney Spears/Lindsay Lohan/Paris Hilton-esque" marketing strategy, where any bad news means Mattel stays constantly in the headlines and keeps people talking. It's working too...Matty keeps on getting more and more people joining his Facebook every week. It's unknown if all of those guys translate into people who buy action figures though.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; April 17, 2009 at 05:28pm.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    haha i thought there was a dif. i don't think he knows there is a dif. heck, i didnt until i saw this picture. does shaving of that plastic help anything? if it does how does it help?

sure hope mattel sees these pics before they go back into production w. the figures
    Well, apparently I'm one of the only people who cares.

Anyway, I've already posted these pics in other threads, and this was even a question on the .org's poll about what revisions we'd like to see in the He-Man reissue, so especially after my asking it in this Q&A, Toyguru really has no excuse for not noticing by now.

As for the difference:

In those pics, the He-Man figures to the left are posed with their legs as close together as the unaltered wider joint will allow.

I guess it's not SUPER major, but I don't know, I just like being able to pose my figs with their legs together if I want. I want the option if we're going to have all this articulation. It's like the stiff loincloths, why have nice leg articulation if you're just going to hinder it with parts that are too big or plastic that is too stiff?

Maybe it's just my own pet peeve, but it's a noticeable enough difference for me to have done it on Skeletor and Faker, too.

Heroic Weather Oddity Raining Light's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    But, as they've tried to convince us, they don't own our imaginations, which is where MOTU mostly does and should live on, however WE choose for it to.
    Oh I agree.
    I just never wanna hear my son say-"Oh you mean Hector."

It just seems like they are trying to make MOTU too real.
    Just like Transformers and G.I. Joe has changed so much for thier movies.
    I would have expected this on the 200X line--because I felt they were trying to make MOTU too real then.
    I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity--Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Raining Light View Post
    Oh I agree.
    I just never wanna hear my son say-"Oh you mean Hector."

It just seems like they are trying to make MOTU too real.
    Just like Transformers and G.I. Joe has changed so much for thier movies.
    I would have expected this on the 200X line--because I felt they were trying to make MOTU too real then.
    G.I. Joe and Transformers have always had bios and extensive backstories. I'm not opposed to this on MOTU, but at the same time I feel as if they go too far sometimes by giving names (or last names) to those who already have given names. It's pretty much the only issue I have with the bios so far.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I think it's some kind of "Britney Spears/Lindsay Lohan/Paris Hilton-esque" marketing strategy, where any bad news means Mattel stays constantly in the headlines and keeps people talking. It's working too...
    My thoughts exact. Now they just need one of the MOTU characters to show up MOC without their undies...
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    My thoughts exact. Now they just need one of the MOTU characters to show up MOC without their undies...
    Party She-Ra?

It worked for Angela...

Heroic Weather Oddity Raining Light's Avatar
    G.I. Joe and Transformers have always had bios and extensive backstories. I'm not opposed to this on MOTU, but at the same time I feel as if they go too far sometimes by giving names (or last names) to those who already have given names. It's pretty much the only issue I have with the bios so far.
    I wasnt talking about thier bios for TF and G.I. Joe.
    I was talking about how much they changed them to appeal for a movie.
    Making them more "real".
    Right now it is bios they are doing it to for MOTU, it was other things for TF and G.I. Joe for thier movies.
    Look at Cobra Commander.
    And the over amount of detail in the TF movies.

The TF movie was still decent, but sometimes some things shouldnt be changed.

I can live with the names on the bios, I just dont like them.
    And Hodak is a TITLE!-Thats statment is just as bad as his name-lol.
    (but not as bad as hordak armor-lol).

All my opinion.
    Last edited by Raining Light; April 17, 2009 at 08:41pm.
    I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity--Edgar Allen Poe

Hordak sounds like a title to me. Since Horde is a common word, it seems like a little too much of a coincidence otherwise.

Same thing with guys like Mek-a-Nek, Triclops and Trapjaw. Unless they had amazingly prophetic parents, it seems like they adopted their codenames later in life.

This week? This whole month you mean...

Between Hordak's name and armor, Wonder Twins with no Gleek, Maskless Hal Jordan in JLU, and now the whole Mer-Man fiasco, something has gone wrong with almost every major action figure line Mattel has.

Soon I'm half expecting some controversy with Cars, Buzz Lightyear or DC Infinite Heroes.

I think it's some kind of "Britney Spears/Lindsay Lohan/Paris Hilton-esque" marketing strategy, where any bad news means Mattel stays constantly in the headlines and keeps people talking. It's working too...Matty keeps on getting more and more people joining his Facebook every week. It's unknown if all of those guys translate into people who buy action figures though.
    nah...someone would have to actually BUY those lines to care about screw ups
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Heroic Warrior
    In french, Hordak's name was Clanak. In the french translation, Horde was translated to the word Clan. I think Clanak would have been a good birth name for him.

Quote Originally Posted by grenadaspice View Post
    In french, Hordak's name was Clanak. In the french translation, Horde was translated to the word Clan. I think Clanak would have been a good birth name for him.
    Yeah, someone mentioned this sort of idea already... and I kind of like it. Using the character's French, German or Spanish names for their "real" names. Given that MOTU always had a rather notable European fanbase, I think it's a nice kind of homage, if you HAVE to give them "real" names.

Of course, I'd still prefer that they didn't...

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    I dont have any real issue with the names (but yeah, Squidish??ick!) In fact as has been mentioned I really appreciate mattel giving these characters identitys beyond their title, cos Ive always been pretty sure that Mrs Beast man, didnt look at her Cub and say 'oooh, Ill call him Beast man!'
    But the Hordak thing does bug me, I mean its great to give characters who are known by nicknames (mekanek,Trap Jaw, Beast man etc) 'real' names, but I dont see why they should start renaming the characters who actually have Names , Its like them making 'Teela' her rank in the guard and renaming her Betsy! (Im curious if they will make her MAA's Daughter, and if so what their last name will be.)
    Anyhoo my highlight of the Q&A is the mention of Clawdeen! The fact that she was mentioned lets us know the company knows their characters, and thats very reassuring!
    Cheers AJ

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Hordak sounds like a title to me. Since Horde is a common word, it seems like a little too much of a coincidence otherwise.

Same thing with guys like Mek-a-Nek, Triclops and Trapjaw. Unless they had amazingly prophetic parents, it seems like they adopted their codenames later in life.
    I have never heard of a "hordak" in any armed force. Just looked it up in a dictionary and googled it, and there simply is no title 'hordak", that is a fact. Yeah, it sounds like "horde" but that doesn't make it a title. I mean, if some guy in the Navy was called Navor would that be a title?

Actually, to me "Hordak" sounds more like a nickname than title. So, I agree that Hordak is probably not the name his mom and dad gave him but I don't care.

And, now I come to something I think is important:

The main reason I hate these real names is simple: I think they are lame! Of course these guys have names but I don't want to know them. These guys are supposed to be cool! They are supposed to be heros and villains who plot and try to take over entire universe!

I don't want to know them, because these names are making them ordinary! I feel they trivialize them.

I want to see Hordak attacking He-Man! I do not want to see some guy Hector driving to store in downtown Fright Zone to pick up a present for his pal Grizzlor's birthday, and using his store Visa card so that he could get 15% discount. That is what these names are doing and that is not MOTU!

All this of course is just my opinion. Sorry if I got a bit emotional here

Excellent points all! Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    Sorry, Toyguru.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...c/DSCN3302.jpg

How is that much of a discrepancy possible with "slight changes in the manufacturing process" and why are Beast Man's and Stratos' identical, and smaller than King Grayskull, He-Man, Skeletor, and Faker, which are also identical to each other?

Shaving this piece down on almost every figure is getting a little old.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...c/DSCN3299.jpg
    If you dont' know already, you'll be happy to know that MERMAN shows a "less endowed" or more narrow groin piece.

Which means they've fixed it as he's off the Skeletor or standard "buck".

So TG is right, they've fixed it, and only using the one tooling piece there now... Apparently.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

I agree on all those names, (not to mention Man-E-Faces, Moss Man, Ram Man, and others) except for Hordak. It doesn't have any real meaning, unlike the names you mentioned, so it works better as his real name, IMO.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    If you dont' know already, you'll be happy to know that MERMAN shows a "less endowed" or more narrow groin piece.

Which means they've fixed it as he's off the Skeletor or standard "buck".

So TG is right, they've fixed it, and only using the one tooling piece there now... Apparently.
    Thanks! That's good to know!

What about Zodac? (Looks for Pixel Dan . . . )

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    I agree on all those names, (not to mention Man-E-Faces, Moss Man, Ram Man, and others) except for Hordak. It doesn't have any real meaning, unlike the names you mentioned, so it works better as his real name, IMO.
    Hordak by itself doesn't have any meaning, but it is very derivative of the term Horde. So IMO, it makes more sense that he either adopted the name when he became the ruler of the Horde, or its the ranking title of whoever is the current leader of the Horde.

To me the only way it makes sense to be his proper name is if he's an incredibly ancient being and they want to say that the term "Horde" came into play as a derivative of his name to describe the army that he led.

Not a bad point there, BCI Guy!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTU Minis 2015!!!

Bang your head!!!
    He could have had a more creative name like Beast Man has. Apocalypse (En Sabah Nur) and Darkseid (Uxas) have better names than Hek-Tor IMO.
    My art blog:
    http://jeremypeerboom.blogspot.com/

The Power and Honor Foundation:
    http://www.powerandhonor.org/

But Mister Sinister is just Nathaniel Essex.
    Hector is a pretty cool name if you look at his origins. The prince of a great empire. Everybody is acting like they named him the mot nerdish name ever.

And having a problem with it because it is a popular hispanic name is really very wrong IMO. There are a lot of Anglo-Saxon names that are okay to be Eternian names appearantly.
    Last edited by Eterniandreams; April 19, 2009 at 04:40pm.

Bang your head!!!
    Maybe we are saying it to ourselves the wrong way and it sounds goofy... I think it sounds pretty badass if you try saying it with the deep Mortal Kombat voice:

Just to give you an idea ...
    My art blog:
    http://jeremypeerboom.blogspot.com/

The Power and Honor Foundation:
    http://www.powerandhonor.org/

If I would get a new neighbour named Hektor and he introduces himself with that voice, saying "Djees, thats a funny name" will be the last thing I would do...