Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 76 to 85 of 85

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.16!

  1. #76
    Heroic Warrior Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1,130
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    This week? This whole month you mean...

    Between Hordak's name and armor, Wonder Twins with no Gleek, Maskless Hal Jordan in JLU, and now the whole Mer-Man fiasco, something has gone wrong with almost every major action figure line Mattel has.

    Soon I'm half expecting some controversy with Cars, Buzz Lightyear or DC Infinite Heroes.

    I think it's some kind of "Britney Spears/Lindsay Lohan/Paris Hilton-esque" marketing strategy, where any bad news means Mattel stays constantly in the headlines and keeps people talking. It's working too...Matty keeps on getting more and more people joining his Facebook every week. It's unknown if all of those guys translate into people who buy action figures though.
    Well, if we want to get technical, I said "around these parts", meaning the .Org/He-Man community.

    Anyway, I think that most of the complaints are pretty silly. No Gleek and maskless Hal Jordan are instances where Mattel's trying to do right by their fans but IMO can never make it happen because of the complaining.

  2. #77
    Heroic Warrior Modulak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    436
    LMAO at "bobo the fighting guy"

    hahahaha

  3. #78
    Heroic Warrior Darkness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Modesto, Ca
    Posts
    1,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Modulak View Post
    LMAO at "bobo the fighting guy"

    hahahaha
    If only they would release a couple of rare He-Man variants labeled Bobo the fighting guy.

  4. #79
    Heroic Weather Oddity Raining Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,049
    That's Savage He-Man's real name



    Someone edited my post-lol.
    So we can't use the other name?
    Last edited by Raining Light; April 24, 2009 at 10:41am.
    I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity--Edgar Allen Poe

  5. #80
    grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,471
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Anyway, I think that most of the complaints are pretty silly. No Gleek and maskless Hal Jordan are instances where Mattel's trying to do right by their fans but IMO can never make it happen because of the complaining.
    The GL point is well taken (basically Mattel is doing the only thing they can without invoking DC's wrath), but Gleekgate was a major blunder on their part that virtually anyone on any of the internet boards could have warned them was coming. Another disconnect, really.

    I think the view that Mattel hasn't been able to do something without screwing it up somehow is a valid point at this time. It's amplified, of course, because of Mattel's miserable record of the past several years, and every new mistake simply compounds the old.

    The saddest part is, Matty was dismissed by many as something Mattel would try and fail because the market wasn't there. They've thus far succeeded where Hasbro previously failed with a direct to collectors line that is a rousing success. People should be patting Mattel on the back, congratulating them for bucking the odds and having the foresight to see an untapped market. Instead, we're sitting here watching defeat snatched from victory once again, not becuase the market isn't there, but because, as usual, Mattel can't seem to get it together.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

  6. #81
    Heroic Warrior Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1,130
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    The GL point is well taken (basically Mattel is doing the only thing they can without invoking DC's wrath), but Gleekgate was a major blunder on their part that virtually anyone on any of the internet boards could have warned them was coming. Another disconnect, really.
    Well, as Mattel has pointed out, it used to be that no exclusives were available anywhere but at the Cons. Now Mattel has obliged us by making product available online afterward, but instead of being grateful for the ones that are available, many are being ungrateful because one isn't.

    It's like a year of online availability afterward has made everyone forget about the years and years of Con-only product. As the saying goes, no good deed goes unpunished, and some are taking Mattel to task for essentially spoiling us with King Grayskull, Lobo, etc. on MattyCollector.

    I guess I just look at it as five years ago, if there was an exclusive, I'd be going to eBay or some other means to get it. And I can still do that with Gleek. There's nothing to stop the old means (friend buying for you, eBay, online retailer) from taking place.

  7. #82
    Co-Creator of the NV
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,693
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Well, as Mattel has pointed out, it used to be that no exclusives were available anywhere but at the Cons. Now Mattel has obliged us by making product available online afterward, but instead of being grateful for the ones that are available, many are being ungrateful because one isn't.

    It's like a year of online availability afterward has made everyone forget about the years and years of Con-only product. As the saying goes, no good deed goes unpunished, and some are taking Mattel to task for essentially spoiling us with King Grayskull, Lobo, etc. on MattyCollector.

    I guess I just look at it as five years ago, if there was an exclusive, I'd be going to eBay or some other means to get it. And I can still do that with Gleek. There's nothing to stop the old means (friend buying for you, eBay, online retailer) from taking place.
    But I think that this presumes that the old way was considered acceptable then. I know if i had been collecting the 200x line back when it was still alive I would've been utterly livid over the Keldor release at the con. I suspect that I am not alone in that regard and that a lot of others are getting increasingly angier about this stuff, particularly when there are relatively easy ways to get things to consumers (such as through the website).

    In the case of Gleek I think it's a pretty obvious problem. Admittedly I don't think that everyone will even want the Wonder Twins. I sure wouldn't, so in that regard it makes sense to sell them at the con. But I think that absolutely everyone who wants the WT will want Gleek and for them it is not acceptable as a con exclusive.

  8. #83
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,306
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    It's like a year of online availability afterward has made everyone forget about the years and years of Con-only product. As the saying goes, no good deed goes unpunished, and some are taking Mattel to task for essentially spoiling us with King Grayskull, Lobo, etc. on MattyCollector.
    People thought that those days were over with since Mattycollector. Going back to those olden days of Solomon Grundy and Keldor seems like a step back.

    Thanks to last year people assumed that everything would have been available on their site this year.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

  9. #84
    Heroic Warrior Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1,130
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    People thought that those days were over with since Mattycollector. Going back to those olden days of Solomon Grundy and Keldor seems like a step back.

    Thanks to last year people assumed that everything would have been available on their site this year.
    Well, we all know what happens when we assume...

    But joking aside, I can see how some view it as a step back, but I don't begrudge Mattel for wanting to do something special for those attending. It's expensive to attend, so to give those that do a little something extra is OK with me.

  10. #85
    Unexpected Attack! Sabretooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    776
    I hope I am not too late with my reply. Here are the creatures/vehicles I like.
    Off course I know the MOTUC sales need to be very good to have these but anyway - here is my list.
    For me the following are basic:
    Battle Cat/Panthor, Zoar/Screeech (like in the 80s with laser equipment for fight), Stridor/Night Stalker

    Also I was very much into the vehicles that look as if they were 'alive' (it is a coincidence that these are mostly the insectoid ones):
    Spydor, Monstroid, Fright Fighter, Mantisaur, Rotton, Land Shark
    Last edited by Sabretooth; May 6, 2009 at 12:23pm.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •