Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Official (ongoing) Gardening Thread

Brassy Baroness
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    My cucumbers and tomatoes are doing really well. I always like to give away most of my extra produce to my neighbors and wife's co-workers. It makes me feel all warm inside
    I'm sure they love it too.
    Here are a few more pics of my garden. Hope no one is tired of seeing pictures. Since I don't have kids, my garden is my baby.
    Hee hee hee nah, with as dismal as the heat has done to all our garden's it's nice to see one succeed.
    Types of tomatoes are: Better Boy, Early Girl, Cherokee Purple Heirloom, and Husky Cherry Red.

I hope the Miracle Grow helps also
    It's perking up that's for sure.

Why Better Boy and Early Girl? I planted Brandy Wine (Cherokee Purple also a favorite), Morgage Lifter (low acid, large, little seeds), and Roma (quicker yield).
    Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    The black caps came early here and ppl r worried there might b a lot of apples. I have one tomato plant and it isn't growing. Damn heat
    I'm with you, my greens keep bolting on me.
    Trust me, trust me, be a'right,
    Drink a little poison 'for you die,
    Sign' blood or fool night,
    Drink a little poison 'for you die.

Master of Gardening MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    Why Better Boy and Early Girl? I planted Brandy Wine (Cherokee Purple also a favorite), Morgage Lifter (low acid, large, little seeds), and Roma (quicker yield).
    From the time I was 8 years old my family planted 2 acres of Better Boy, Early Girl, and Celebrity tomatoes on the farm. Starting in 2000, as an adult, I planted them in my own garden out of tradition (along with trying a few new varieties each year). Now, I plant them to feel close to my mom who passed in 2006.

I am really enjoying the Cherokee Purple. This is my first year with them.

I'm sure they love it too.
    Hope so
    Hee hee hee nah, with as dismal as the heat has done to all our garden's it's nice to see one succeed.
    Thank you
    It's perking up that's for sure.
    Yay

MOST WANTED MOTUC figures:
    Ice Armor He-Man, Sagitar, Fang-Or, Major Header, Granita, Great Black Wizard, Despara, Quakke, Master Sebrian, Tuvar, Bahdrah, Stridor, & Snake Mountain.

MOST WANTED PCS statues: Mer-Man, Whiplash, Buzz-Off, Sy-Klone, Ram Man, Tri-Klops, & Two-Bad.

*My iTrader Feedback
    *My MOTU_Maniac Feedback Thread

Brassy Baroness
    That's a very sweet story, your mom would be proud.

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    I just bought some strawberry plants a couple weeks ago. They actually produced some small berries. I'm not sure I can get them to do it again with the drought conditions though. You can sure tell where I water stuff in my yard - the grass is actually green around the pots.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"That which does not kill me... had better start running"
    - Source unknown

Here is a picture of today's harvest consisting of: Yellow Squash, Cucumbers, Bell Peppers, a few Green Beans, and 3 types of Tomatoes. Going to have Stir Fry for supper
    Attachment 77433

That's a very sweet story, your mom would be proud.
    Thanks. It's the little things

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    I just bought some strawberry plants a couple weeks ago. They actually produced some small berries. I'm not sure I can get them to do it again with the drought conditions though. You can sure tell where I water stuff in my yard - the grass is actually green around the pots.
    I LOVE strawberries!!! We grew 5 acres of strawberries when I was growing up. We picked them for customers and had a U-Pick section. The first year you plant strawberry plants you want to pinch off all flowers before they turn into berries so that the plants use all their energy and resources to grow fuller, greener plants and runners. Then next year you will have a better abundance of fruit.

Ice Armor He-Man, Sagitar, Fang-Or, Major Header, Granita, Great Black Wizard, Despara, Quakke, Master Sebrian, Tuvar, Bahdrah, Stridor, & Snake Mountain.

MOST WANTED PCS statues: Mer-Man, Whiplash, Buzz-Off, Sy-Klone, Ram Man, Tri-Klops, & Two-Bad.

*My iTrader Feedback

I LOVE strawberries!!! We grew 5 acres of strawberries when I was growing up. We picked them for customers and had a U-Pick section. The first year you plant strawberry plants you want to pinch off all flowers before they turn into berries so that the plants use all their energy and resources to grow fuller, greener plants and runners. Then next year you will have a better abundance of fruit.
    They didn't have any flowers on them when I got them. They already had some little berries. Don't know how they took care of them at the store. I tried growing some last year but some species of ant that seems to like my yard killed them.
    Last edited by Dave-Man; July 18, 2012 at 08:41am.

- Source unknown

Here are a few pictures of items I picked from my garden this morning. Wish the State Fair was this week because I just picked the last of my BIG, ripening tomatoes (and the State Fair isn't for another 3 weeks )

Corn, Peppers, Cucumbers, Yellow Squash, Zucchini, and 4 types of Tomatoes
    Attachment 77660

Corn, Peppers, Cucumbers, Yellow Squash, Zucchini, 4 types of Tomatoes, and 2 types of Potatoes
    Attachment 77661

*My iTrader Feedback

Wow. I wish my garden was doing that well. It has been mostly killed by the heat I think.

- Source unknown

Wow. I wish my garden was doing that well. It has been mostly killed by the heat I think.
    Thank you for the kind words

and sorry the heat is killing your garden

*My iTrader Feedback

I know it's been a while, but I have been very busy in the garden as well as in the kitchen baking, cooking, canning, freezing, etc.

In the past few weeks I have:

~Canned 7 types of relish: Green tomato, hot dog, cucumber, corn, dixie, zucchini, and chow chow
    ~Canned 2 types of pickles: sweet and bread & butter
    ~Cooked/ Froze: Gumbo, Stuffed Bell Peppers, Ratatouille, Okra, Apple Pie, and Apple Breade

Here are just a few photos I would like to share....

6 types of relish and Bread & Butter pickles
    Attachment 79010

Stuffed Bell Peppers (made in crock pot)
    Attachment 79007

Vegetables picked: Okra, Green Beans, Eggplant, cherry tomatoes, slicer tomatoes, and Lima Beans
    Attachment 79008

Vegetables picked: Eggplant, green peppers, slicer tomatoes, yellow squash, and zucchini
    Attachment 79011

Ratatouille (made in crock pot)
    Attachment 79012

*My iTrader Feedback

Snappy Threader
    The heat and drought here pretty much killed anythign I was growing. Tried a lot of peppers and rosemary and the pickings have been slim.

Quote Originally Posted by iron_pride View Post
    The heat and drought here pretty much killed anythign I was growing. Tried a lot of peppers and rosemary and the pickings have been slim.
    My garden did surprisingly well despite the heat and drought. I was pleasantly surprised.

*My iTrader Feedback

2013 Gardening Thread

It's that time of year again. Time to get out the tiller (or pots) and start planting. After growing up on a 100-acre fruit & vegetable farm, I always LOVE this time of year!!!

Well, I don't know about you all, but I got started about 3 weeks late this year due to cold weather, but this past weekend I got the tiller out and tilled up my garden area and started planting. So far I have only planted cold crops (cabbage, broccoli, red & white potatoes, yellow onions, spinach, and lettuce).
    Once May arrives I will start planting my other vegetables (tomatoes, peppers, beans, squash, cucumbers, etc.)

Just today I picked my first Asparagus and can't wait to eat it for supper tonight.

Attachment 83998

*So, what is everyone else planting this year?

*My iTrader Feedback

Heroic Warrior
    MOTU_Maniac, what area of the country do you live in? We don't have any signs of our asparagus yet. My wife and kids have promised me more help this year so I am looking forward to the fresh veggies.

Weather has been pretty rotten in Kansas City for gardening until recently. I'm getting ready to put in some blackberry bushes and build some raised beds for my vegetables this time. But I haven't got anything much planted yet.

- Source unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Bear-at-Arms View Post
    MOTU_Maniac, what area of the country do you live in? We don't have any signs of our asparagus yet. My wife and kids have promised me more help this year so I am looking forward to the fresh veggies.
    I live in the Ohio Valley (Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Missouri, etc). My asparagus just popped up 2 days ago as the weather started to warm up
    Weather has been pretty rotten in Kansas City for gardening until recently. I'm getting ready to put in some blackberry bushes and build some raised beds for my vegetables this time. But I haven't got anything much planted yet.
    I have very fond memories of picking roughly 1 acre of blackberries with my mom...except when we found snakes sleeping on the branches.
    Last edited by MOTU_Maniac; April 10, 2013 at 06:44am.

*My iTrader Feedback

Never have gardened before, but this year I'm trying several hanging basket tomato and strawberry plants, a couple pepper plant pots, a cucumber pot and an onion bed. I'm calling it my lazy farm!
    Could we get some Meteorbs, Please???!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rhea View Post
    Never have gardened before, but this year I'm trying several hanging basket tomato and strawberry plants, a couple pepper plant pots, a cucumber pot and an onion bed. I'm calling it my lazy farm!
    Lots of people use hanging baskets and pots. NOTHING lazy about it!

But good for you though! I am proud to have you join the gardening ranks.

*My iTrader Feedback

Oh man, I need some gardening help. English Ivy has exploded all over my land and it has choked the life out of everything. Aside from some gas and a match, what should I do?

We just moved almost a year ago. When we got here, the garden was completely overgrown and just about everything was dead. I spent all last summer, and all this spring (so far) just weeding, pruning, tilling, and uprooting dead trees. I've planted some blueberries, daffodils, and an azalea bush so far. I also sprinkled some flower seeds into my garden box about a month ago and they're starting to sprout. My goal is to have a nice yard by next year. I started with an abomination, but I've poured much love into it and I'm sure I'll have something to be proud of in time.

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    Oh man, I need some gardening help. English Ivy has exploded all over my land and it has choked the life out of everything. Aside from some gas and a match, what should I do?
    The only way I know to handle it is to cut it and dig up as much as you can by hand. Then use a herbicide like Roundup Poison Ivy & Tough Brush Killer. Last, if you are still having a problem then you can add about 8-12 inches of mulch on top of the plants, BUT you have to leave it on top for at least 6 months so it will drown it out.

Quote Originally Posted by flutterina View Post
    We just moved almost a year ago. When we got here, the garden was completely overgrown and just about everything was dead. I spent all last summer, and all this spring (so far) just weeding, pruning, tilling, and uprooting dead trees. I've planted some blueberries, daffodils, and an azalea bush so far. I also sprinkled some flower seeds into my garden box about a month ago and they're starting to sprout. My goal is to have a nice yard by next year. I started with an abomination, but I've poured much love into it and I'm sure I'll have something to be proud of in time.
    Good for you. Hard work always pays off. I would love to see some progress pictures

*My iTrader Feedback

Brassy Baroness
    Just started with planting some indoor seeds of cold weather plants. I could direct seed, but the squirrels and chipmunks really did a number on them last year. So hopefully when they are larger they will not be so enticing to pull out. I also really feed my beds so I hope to have a better harvest than last year. Thanks MOTU_Maniac!

So far I have started lacto kale, collards, spinach, rainbow Swiss chard, pak choi, mustard greens, French breakfast radishes, and poppies.

I did clean my beds up and planted some violas, tulips, and a golden bearded iris to entice the bees to my strawberry flowers.

I would love to plant asparagus, but I'm only renting. Perhaps when I one day buy a house...

MOTU_Maniac, I am jealous. Perhaps some photos along the way of your crop can appease me.

Just started with planting some indoor seeds of cold weather plants. I could direct seed, but the squirrels and chipmunks really did a number on them last year. So hopefully when they are larger they will not be so enticing to pull out.
    I hear ya. They always do their best to ruin my vegetable garden, but specilly my daffodil bulbs. Squirrels LOVE to eat them. I am also having lots of problems with moles right now as well

I also really feed my beds so I hope to have a better harvest than last year. Thanks MOTU_Maniac!
    You are welcome

So far I have started lacto kale, collards, spinach, rainbow Swiss chard, pak choi, mustard greens, French breakfast radishes, and poppies.

I did clean my beds up and planted some violas, tulips, and a golden bearded iris to entice the bees to my strawberry flowers.
    Yum. Sounds so good. I always love that you grow such a variety of leafy vegetables

I would love to plant asparagus, but I'm only renting. Perhaps when I one day buy a house...
    If you lived closer I would give you some asparagus because I always end up with way too much. I think I am on year 5 and get to pick it all season long for around 6-8 weeks.

MOTU_Maniac, I am jealous. Perhaps some photos along the way of your crop can appease me.
    Sure, I will share photos along the way. That's why I made this thread. I hope others, including yourself, will share photos along the way as well

*My iTrader Feedback

Don't let that stop you. I have successfully grown asparagus in five gallon buckets the past couple of years. You do need a few buckets to get a good crop, but it does work.

- Source unknown

Brassy Baroness
    I hear ya. They always do their best to ruin my vegetable garden, but specilly my daffodil bulbs. Squirrels LOVE to eat them. I am also having lots of problems with moles right now as well
    Noooooo! Not the bulbs too! Sorry to hear. Thankfully the squirrels have kept to the birdfeeder and out of my crocus bulbs.

Yum. Sounds so good. I always love that you grow such a variety of leafy vegetables
    Thanks! They just grow so prolific with so little space, they help keep satiated and engaged in the garden as I wait the good 2-3 months before tomatoes appear.

If you lived closer I would give you some asparagus because I always end up with way too much. I think I am on year 5 and get to pick it all season long for around 6-8 weeks.
    That would rock, but for now I will support my local farmers market. Thanks. *hug*

Sure, I will share photos along the way. That's why I made this thread. I hope others, including yourself, will share photos along the way as well
    Hopefully we both have gardens brimming for those photos then.

Don't let that stop you. I have successfully grown asparagus in five gallon buckets the past couple of years. You do need a few buckets to get a good crop, but it does work.
    Good to know, perhaps next move. (I hope the next move will be far away enough that I can leave my current pots behind.
    Come'on CA, no wammies, warm weather and longer growing season, no wammies!