Thread: How far will the Filmation line go?

How far will the Filmation line go?

As a newcomer to the modern lines (I saw Filmation Skeletor on Instagram and down the rabbit hole I went) I'm looking for some opinions.

I collect a couple of other toy lines. I know how hard it is to keep collecting focused. With MOTUC I'm aiming for mostly Filmation, sticking to vintage characters and filling in the gaps with classics.

So far I've made some "safe" purchases of classics, ie those that won't get Filmation releases: Battle Armor He Man/Skelly, Battle Cat and a couple others.

Assuming Super 7 are successful, how far do we think they'll go character-wise? Will anyone be safe?

Heroic Warrior
    The support is apparently there, so who knows? As long as Super7 sticks with good character choices there should be some longevity.

If you're interested in the Filmation characters, don't forget that several cartoon figures were released in the Classics style. They're possibly less likely to see a Filmation release, so you might want to acquire those now if you can.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull View Post
    The support is apparently there, so who knows? As long as Super7 sticks with good character choices there should be some longevity.

If you're interested in the Filmation characters, don't forget that several cartoon figures were released in the Classics style. They're possibly less likely to see a Filmation release, so you might want to acquire those now if you can.
    Yeah I'm aware that pretty much every character is available in classic form, I guess what I'm looking for is a list of characters that were part of the vintage toy line, have a classics release but won't be likely to get a Filmation style release.

For example I won't be picking up classic Mer Man, Sorceress, Adam, or Zodac because they are likely to get a Filmation release. I want to avoid doubling up. But do I take the plunge and get a classic Fisto? Jitsu? Kobra Khan? Whiplash? Only to be scuppered when S7 release Filmation versions and I've dropped $$$ hoping they won't.

I know, no one can say for sure. But plenty on here can make better guesses than me

I think the next unannounced wave will be what shows Super7 how far they are going to go. This wave had some heavy hitters and so did the first. I think the next wave will probably have She-ra which will help it a lot but other than that it will really test the cartoon accurate line.
    Lipster Heroic Warrior

They have several Club Grayskull Filmation Characters that will be heavy hitters

Prince Adam with Cringer
    She-Ra
    Merman
    Leech
    Mantenna
    Grizzlor
    Stratos
    tung lashor
    Sorceress
    Filmation Horde Trooper
    Filmation Modulok
    Orko

That's 12 characters right there and we will be getting 4 more characters this year shown at SDCC so of those 12 we may see 4 of them leaving the other 8 for 2018
    Excited for 2017 with Brian Flynn of Super7 & Four Horsemen taking over the MOTUC's, Club Grayskull and Hopefully Thundercats collectors lines

Quote Originally Posted by Lipster View Post
    I think the next unannounced wave will be what shows Super7 how far they are going to go. This wave had some heavy hitters and so did the first. I think the next wave will probably have She-ra which will help it a lot but other than that it will really test the cartoon accurate line.
    Good point. If we see another line up of heavy hitters in a single wave we'll know Super 7 aren't intending to drag it out.

I know I've said this elsewhere, but I'm not interested in the Filmation line. That said, I do ope that it has a long, healthy life for the fans who do support and enjoy it.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Heroic Warrior
    I don't think the Filmation line will go very far given the lukewarm response to the latest offering. I would suggest picking up the classic versions of the characters you care about as they can be had for real cheap.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Most Wanted:

Snake Mountain and Eternia Playsets!

Doing a mental count, there are at least 21 She-ra characters I want to see done in the Filmation line, so I'm really really hoping this line continues for a while...

As for previously released figures that don't need to be redone, I would say Netossa, Castaspella, Razz, Broom, Kowl and Loo-Kee are perfect as is.

Quote Originally Posted by powerofGS View Post
    I don't think the Filmation line will go very far given the lukewarm response to the latest offering. I would suggest picking up the classic versions of the characters you care about as they can be had for real cheap.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    That's an interesting take as I've actually seen the opposite, with Collector's Choice getting a lukewarm reception and have seen more folks say they are 'all in' for Club Grayskull and are cherry picking from Collector's Choice...

As for how far the Filmation line will go, I think it has another full year left in it. I'd expect they could keep up interest if they include:

-Prince Adam (Orko might come as his accessory using same mold as the Classics one)
    -Cringer
    -The Sorceress
    -Ram Man
    -Mer-Man
    -Whiplash
    -Kobra Khan
    -Webstor
    -Grizzlor
    -Leech
    -Mantenna
    -Tung Lashor

I think that just about covers Filmation MOTU and what we assume they have the rights to make. I really have no interest in Filmation versions of Buzz-Off, Stratos, Meckaneck etc... though I would not be mad if they made Fisto since it's so hard for folks to get the Classics version. Also not sure we need Filmation Two-Bad (probably better doing Tuvar and Baddrah instead in CC) and Spikor was close to Filmation anyway with the Classics version.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    Doing a mental count, there are at least 21 She-ra characters I want to see done in the Filmation line, so I'm really really hoping this line continues for a while...

As for previously released figures that don't need to be redone, I would say Netossa, Castaspella, Razz, Broom, Kowl and Loo-Kee are perfect as is.
    I don't think they have the rights to Filmation She-Ra I think the only reason they can do Filmation versions of Hordak, Leech, Grizzlor and Mantenna is because of the Mattel style guide.
    Last edited by blackiecats; May 12, 2017 at 11:22am.
    New want List:

Collector's Choice: Hunga the Harpy, Catra Cat Form, Twiggets, Kothos and Admiral Scurvy.
    Filmation Club Grayskull: Webstor, Kobra Khan, Count Marzo, Ram Man, Leech, Grizzlor, Mantenna and Frosta.

According to another thread (the Micah thread), they do have the rights to all POP characters, including She-Ra.

There is a quote in that thread about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the quote from the other thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Karatzis View Post
    The POP rigths are ok, Bryan confirm in a interview with Pixen Dan in Toy Fair. Super 7 Make She-ra and Hordak in Neo Vintage and can make Charecters Like Dylamug or Granita in future waves of Classics.
    Favorite MOTUC
    1. Shadow Weaver
    2. Evil-Lyn, BG
    3. Skeletor, Filmation
    4. Mer-Man
    5. Orko

Most Wanted: New Version of Sorceress, Filmation She-Ra

Quote Originally Posted by powerofGS View Post
    IDK, I'm more into CC than CG, but there are still a lot more A-listers to offer in the Filmation set (well, offered for the first time in that style anyway). I don't know if there's as much life after the A-list is run out, but I wouldn't underestimate the figures' appeal. People thought Classics couldn't go this long but it has.

Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    I really have no interest in Filmation versions of Buzz-Off, Stratos, Meckaneck etc... though I would not be mad if they made Fisto since it's so hard for folks to get the Classics version.
    I gotta say that Filmation Stratos is one of my main wants from the HATMOTU line. He was featured in a lot of the early episodes I watched the most and he had a different look from the toy with those boots and more upright posture.
    Last edited by gbagok; May 12, 2017 at 02:02pm.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Quote Originally Posted by jscott991 View Post
    According to another thread (the Micah thread), they do have the rights to all POP characters, including She-Ra.

There is a quote in that thread about it.
    I watched that interview a few times and I'm certain Brian states 'It depends on what line we are talking about' when questioned about being able to make a vintage styled She-Ra and now having She-Ra rights. It's worth watching it again and listening carefully
    New want List:

Collector's Choice: Hunga the Harpy, Catra Cat Form, Twiggets, Kothos and Admiral Scurvy.
    Filmation Club Grayskull: Webstor, Kobra Khan, Count Marzo, Ram Man, Leech, Grizzlor, Mantenna and Frosta.

Interesting. If they don't have rights to Filmation She-Ra, then my interest in CG will decline very fast. There are still, though, at least a few that I really want (Sorceress and Mer-Man being the most important).

I wonder what no She-Ra rights would mean for a Filmation trooper.
    Favorite MOTUC
    1. Shadow Weaver
    2. Evil-Lyn, BG
    3. Skeletor, Filmation
    4. Mer-Man
    5. Orko

Watch from 8:18. To me it sounds like they can make She-Ra in the style that Mattel owns but they don't have the license from Universal to make Classics/Club Grayskull styled She-Ra figures. I could be wrong but that's the impression I get from what he says in the walkthrough video. They he does also say the license 'is mostly ok' so who knows!

Last edited by blackiecats; May 12, 2017 at 02:33pm.
    New want List:

I'm not sure how to interpret it. I would have said they could make them, but your viewpoint makes sense too.

We need a direct answer I guess.
    Favorite MOTUC
    1. Shadow Weaver
    2. Evil-Lyn, BG
    3. Skeletor, Filmation
    4. Mer-Man
    5. Orko

Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    That's an interesting take as I've actually seen the opposite, with Collector's Choice getting a lukewarm reception and have seen more folks say they are 'all in' for Club Grayskull and are cherry picking from Collector's Choice...

As for how far the Filmation line will go, I think it has another full year left in it. I'd expect they could keep up interest if they include:

-Prince Adam (Orko might come as his accessory using same mold as the Classics one)
    -Cringer
    -The Sorceress
    -Ram Man
    -Mer-Man
    -Whiplash
    -Kobra Khan
    -Webstor
    -Grizzlor
    -Leech
    -Mantenna
    -Tung Lashor
    you forgot Stratos and a Filmation Horde Trooper.

I would think Club Grayskull has at least two more years to it character wise so 2019 might be it but by then we would have some really great cartoon accurate Characters
    Last edited by mjw41; May 12, 2017 at 03:29pm.
    Excited for 2017 with Brian Flynn of Super7 & Four Horsemen taking over the MOTUC's, Club Grayskull and Hopefully Thundercats collectors lines

Motuc Blister Eater OnlyOneSkeletor's Avatar
    Though he wasn't mentioned above,
    i do think Moss Man could make a great addition to this line.
    Especially if he comes with some vegetal extensions (vines as shown here).vine-arms.jpg
    NEW EP ALBUM "STORIES UNTOLD" COMING SOON!
    Presales start september 7 on Itunes Store & Apple Music.
    More info here: https://www.facebook.com/glenlarocheofficiel
    Listen the single "Almighty's Hand" here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-jqLti7Ja0

A True on model 100 % accurate She-Ra needs to happen, Like with Hordak and Teela in MOTUC we got a Filmation similar figure. But a totally on model She-Ra in the grayskull packaging is an absoloute must!
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by jscott991 View Post
    I'm not sure how to interpret it. I would have said they could make them, but your viewpoint makes sense too.

We need a direct answer I guess.
    Agreed. The way I understood it was that figures who were originally created by Mattel (for the vintage MOTU or POP lines), they still have the right to make, and for the Great Rebellion, that includes their Filmation/Style-guide look (otherwise how could they do a vintage style She-ra figure based off of her cartoon look). I think the ones they may not be able to make are the figures created by Filmation that did not have a figure (Hunga, Dylamug, Admiral Scurvey, etc). As for Filmation characters that Mattel got the rights to do Classics figures of (Shadow Weaver, Sea Hawk, Octavia, etc), I think that is where it gets really questionable on who all has those rights now. I am hoping they can still do Shadow Weaver, but I guess we will have to wait and see. I am pretty sure She-ra herself is fine though. Mattel created her, so I think they still have the right to let Super 7 redo her (again, if they didn't, I don't see how that vintage style figure could be made). You are right, though. We really do need a clear answer so we don't get her hopes up on some characters.

Everyone covered anything I would have offered to the discussion.

So I'll just add that the Filmation figures that I want to see are actually in most regards new characters as yet unseen and as such will most likely be in CC. I think POP is the next "heavy hitters" though I know most of (all?) the vintage characters that appeared in MOTU would be purchased in a Filmation style line.

I think She Ra and the rest of the Horde are the biggest "must do" at this point.

So basically if you think there is any chance they will make any particular character (there is) and you dont want the Classics version in that case, dont buy any classics right now.

Canadian 3-packs hunter bObA_fEtt_Ox's Avatar
    I guess they can make in all of these :

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...MATION-release
    $$$$$ WANT TO BUY, HIGHTEST PRICES OFFERED $$$$$

>>>>> Heroic warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil Warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil horde 3-pack <<<<<

$$$$$ Email:bObA_fEtt1979@hotmail.com $$$$$

Heroic Warrior
    I think the Filmation/Club Grayskull line can actually last for a while. There are a lot of figures that look different enough for them to make them as long as fans keep paying for them. They are made to order, so they only have to make as many as ordered, but I am sure a minimum order is still required to keep the line going. That being said, I think there is likely enough interest to keep it up as long as the do the waves intelligently.

If they spread the bigger characters out too much, they could end up folding the wave sooner than expected. But I think there are at least eight (two more waves) worth of very high quality characters. After that, I'm not sure if they could keep selling $140 waves to everyone, presuming they stick to characters that already exist in Classics.
    Favorite MOTUC
    1. Shadow Weaver
    2. Evil-Lyn, BG
    3. Skeletor, Filmation
    4. Mer-Man
    5. Orko

Yes I think they have a few more waves of characters left at the very least.

Sorceress
    Merman
    Stratos
    Ram-Man

Orko (Dre-Elle & Uncle Montourge included)
    Zodac
    King Randor
    Queen Marlana

Prince Adam & Cringer (SDCC exclusive set)

She-Ra (Pack in Twigget)
    Toung Lasher
    Bow & Kowl (Pack in Twigget)
    Leach

Frosta (Pack in Twigget)
    Horde Trooper
    Mantenna
    Rattlor

Shadow Weaver & Syrax
    Modulock
    Adora
    Grizzlor

Catra and her Panthor form (SDCC Exclusive)
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!