Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Castle Grayskull Discussion Thread

Hybrid View

Heroic Warrior

MOTUC Castle Grayskull Discussion Thread

UPDATE 4: February 26th Q&A with Scott Neitlich

Also, video measurement of Castle Grayskull prototype

-----------------------------------

UPDATE 3: February 5, 2013 Mattycollector: Teaser Close-Up Of Castle Grayskull!

UPDATE 2: October 26th Q&A with Scott Neitlich!

UPDATE: Price to be $250.
    http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...7/m/7811077187
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru
    It looks like to avoid cost reducing it we are going to set the price at 250.00. That does not include shipping.

Castle Grayskull Pre-Order Commercial:

---------------------------------

So, through the MOTU franchise of action figures, we've gotten two different Castle Grayskulls. While neither resembled their cartoon counterpart that much, both were worthy to serve as the base of operations for our Masters of the Universe.

Now I know that a MOTUC Castle Grayskull is far off, but i got to thinking about what I would want/expect it to be.

First, I expect that Mattel would be very hesitant to make a 3 or 4 wall Castle. And since 2 walls has never really done a good job of creating the illusion of a complete castle, I thought why not simply produce the front facade of the castle, perhaps with full towers? Although I would prefer a 4 wall castle, that dream doesn't seem realistic, and the 1 wall castle would at least have the advantage of taking up less display space.

So my first question is: would you be ok with a CG that was just the front wall and half or full towers?

My second and third question are basically around size and scale. What size would would you be content with for the MOTUC CG? Personally, I think a MOTUC CG should be at least as large as the 200X one (though larger would be better), since that castle set the bar for size.

Lastly, what size do you THINK the castle would have to be to really be in scale with the line? I know CG has been depicted as different sizes in a lot of mediums, but I'm gonna guess that it would have to be at least 5 ft X 5 ft X 5 ft.

Here are some pics to get your thoughts going:

3 differet store displays. I love the rocky base of the second one. The third one, while not the prettiest sculpt, is awesomely HUGE!

A picture of my FAVORITE MOTU custom (Joe Amaro's CG)
    Last edited by Dead Man Walking; April 21, 2009 at 09:29pm.

Heroic Warrior

Castle Grayskull

Do you think that we will see a Castle Grayskull playset or at least an early desing of one before the end of the year? Im thinking that they might be hinting at 1 because of the little one on top of Scare Glows accessory.

Any thoughts?
    "A Race 2 What And Where We Going?
    We In The Same Boat
    But Eye'M The Only One Rowin
    Last Time Eye Checked U Were Sleepin'
    …but U Can Call Me A Dreamer 2"

For some reason I think they'll surprise us with a playset in 2011.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Heroic Warrior
    I hope your right
    "A Race 2 What And Where We Going?
    We In The Same Boat
    But Eye'M The Only One Rowin
    Last Time Eye Checked U Were Sleepin'
    …but U Can Call Me A Dreamer 2"

Quote Originally Posted by Horde08 View Post
    I hope your right
    If you only knew how badly I hope you are right! That would be the ultimate.

As much as I want one, the cost of such an item would probably be the issue for me. I could easily see paying around $200 or more, and shipping would probably be pretty expensive as well. I really want one, I really , really do, but I probably could not afford it.

I sure hope your right because I'd love to see that myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    For some reason I think they'll surprise us with a playset in 2011.
    By the Power of Grey Skull!

Perhaps with some of the bigger beast figures such as Battlecat we could get a piece of the castle. I would be willing to bet that at some point (maybe in the next year) we get a facade of castle grayskull.

I only hope that we also get vehicles too. I need to have a new Wind Raider and a Filmation Attack Trak would be sweet!

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    I could careless about ANOTHER Greyskull.

Snake Mountain...... BRING..... IT....... ON.
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

I think it's inevitable that we'll see a new Castle Grayskull.

I mean, it's the very focus of MOTU! Without it, there's no struggle.

Skeletor wants it, He-man protects it!

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    I think it's inevitable that we'll see a new Castle Grayskull.

I mean, it's the very focus of MOTU! Without it, there's no struggle.

Skeletor wants it, He-man protects it!
    Well maybe not "inevitable" - it depends how much time and money Matty are willing to pump into the line, and the logistics of shipping it.

...Did I just get too logical there??
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Heroic Warrior KeeperoftheSecret's Avatar
    It's the hope of epic items like castle grayskull, that make me really want to support this line in any way possible! It would definatly make me feel like a kid again!
    Reliving my childhood one figure at a time

Best Castle Grayskull for MOTUC?

hi.

as i've said before, i'm pretty new to motuc and motu in general. i pretty much need a castle grayskull to put these little plastic dudes on.

is the 200x one going to look better with them, or is the vintage one? and why? are the weapons on the weapons racks compatible, etc?

pretend i am totally ignorant (i am) and indulge me.

thanks!

Depends on your preference! Personally, I think both look good. However, the 200X's door will fit the figures better, while the classic one looks more out of scale, but (to me) makes a better display peice. So, I'd go for the classic one just 'cause it looks more ancient, and honestly, I don't care about how big it is compared to the figure.

Now, as for the weapons: the 200X weapons all mostly work for the figures (especially the guns!). The classic weapons aren't gona fit these guys very well, though. Some might hold them, but they'll look awfully tiny.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

The answer is in the title of the line: Masters Of The Universe CLASSICS

Not to mention that the MOTU 2.0/200X/MYP castle looks horrendous with the ridiculous sabertooth tiger fangs it has in the cartoon, and the toy just looks cheap. A castle should look strong. The original toy doesn't look fantastic, but at least it looked powerful, and mysterious.

IMO no toy version to date has managed to capture the essence of the look it should have the way the Filmation design did. I'm hoping MOTUC will change that. If it does, I may just take all of the $ I haven't spent on the figures, and plunk it down on that.
    "All of the figures in the new MOTU Classics line will have a look that is an homage to the original toy lines from the 1980s." - Scott "Toyguru" Neitlich

BAND
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-O0lmC1Y0E
    http://www.myspace.com/thesickpleazures
    ART
    http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/c...tworkgalleries
    PHOTOS
    http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/1723839/0

*batteries not included Captain Atkin's Avatar
    I imagine it will look similar to the key holder that Scare Glow came with, which looks similar to Grayskull on the back of the original mini-comics.
    "Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another." --- Man-At-Arms

www.hemanworld.com

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by d.verburg View Post
    hi.

as i've said before, i'm pretty new to motuc and motu in general. i pretty much need a castle grayskull to put these little plastic dudes on.

is the 200x one going to look better with them, or is the vintage one? and why? are the weapons on the weapons racks compatible, etc?

pretend i am totally ignorant (i am) and indulge me.

thanks!
    This might start another vs debate.

But to answer you question without any era hatred or bias...

The vintage castle looks better, but it's smaller and not for scale with MOTUC. So it might as well be a diorama piece.

200X castle does work with MOTUC and if you aren't held to having Classic rooms inside of the castle, it could work.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; December 5, 2009 at 11:57pm.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

The original is the best exterior, but it's too small. However I do like the 200x Battle Station in people's photos/displays...it fits better than either castle imo.

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    The best Grayskull?

http://www.joeamaro.net/
    "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Definitely!

The 4H should look to this as inspiration for Castle Grayskull.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

I still can't get over how cool that looks!

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Definitely!

The 4H should look to this as inspiration for Castle Grayskull.
    Eh, while that one is big, I'm still just not impressed by the look. And I don't think The Four Horsemen need to look anywhere but at each other and the classic designs for inspiration.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Court Magician WaitsForTheSummer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash77 View Post
    The original is the best exterior, but it's too small. However I do like the 200x Battle Station in people's photos/displays...it fits better than either castle imo.
    I agree. And I'll add that is a great option for anyone who does not have the space to display a full Castle Grayskull.

If you were to decide what Castle Grayskull was going to be like...

I've come down with a really bad case of Grayskullstinens... I get annoyed every time I see my KingGrayskull box, which is the only Grayskull we've got for this line.

I'd really like an in scale model, not a toy. Not just the front, or half a castle. The full 360! I know we won't get anything Filmation-y, but I'd like this thread to be more about what you'd wish for The classic playset is... well, the classic, but you don't really get the right... feeling with it, as the filmation version of the castle had (for me). Someone here called it "the spirit of grayskull", very fitting for the "it-feeling".

I've never much cared for the 200x version. Haven't really seen the toy irl, but both the toy and cartoon version seemed to be too sterile. The scale of it was cool, but it lacked something. The interior of the filmation castle was also a lot more imaginative imho.

I was thinking of how I'd want the ultimate castle model, or playset if you wish, to be like... Did some quick sketches for you. As you guys already have pointed out in some other threads, it would have to be really big, I've measured this one to be 81 cm tall O_o... otherwise you wouldn't get the right scale.

Still thinking about what the interior should be like, there aren't that many good reference pics, and I'm not really sure what locations you'd want to be in a model like this... Any suggestions? What would you get with your dream-Grayskull?

Defender of the Elders Red Trinity's Avatar
    I like your ideas Ferio. But personally, I don't need it to open. I never display the inside of my 200x or classic Grayskull. What WOULD be awesome, though, are diorama pieces the create the Sorceress' throne room.