Page 134 of 186 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136144184 ... LastLast
Results 3,326 to 3,350 of 4645

Thread: MOTUC Castle Grayskull Discussion Thread

Heroic Warrior
    Very predictable answers. Scott really wants to make it look like he listens to customers, but at the end of the day he's going to do whatever the hell he wants no matter how many people speak out. Most of his answers are "no", "can't change this, can't change that", "more might be cut"(except of course his precious Wind Raider stand.) Doing away with the Wind Raider stand could help many of the issues the current mock up Castle has, but because it was apart of his "creative" input he's not going to budge.

Quote Originally Posted by PPC View Post
    Very predictable answers. Scott really wants to make it look like he listens to customers, but at the end of the day he's going to do whatever the hell he wants no matter how many people speak out. Most of his answers are "no", "can't change this, can't change that", "more might be cut"(except of course his precious Wind Raider stand.) Doing away with the Wind Raider stand could help many of the issues the current mock up Castle has, but because it was apart of his "creative" input he's not going to budge.
    He'll tear down the rest of the castle before that thing goes. LOL

I just keep going back to his phrase at NYCC. You will get at least what you see, maybe more but NO LESS!
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JEDIboyy View Post
    So it is possible that nothing will be improved upon but we should expect some features to be taken away.

Awesome work, Scott!

Scott is not God you know. Unfortunately, he doesn't have any power on the rising price of plastic or the salaries of chinese workers.

We can't blame that one guy for every hurdle. It's not really fair.

His name and reputation is on the line on that castle. If you think about it, that's probably his most ambitious project to date. The most expensive collectible on Mattycollector (not sure how much was the hoverboard). His name is associated with the line, he was personnally selling us the castle in videos. He obviously wants this castle to be a success but like any big project, there's a budget he must stick to.

I can relate to this because as a movie director, god, how many things did I have to cut down, despite agreeing with producers on a budget. You want everything to be perfect but you unfortunately have to give up so much, all the time. It's very cruel, and the viewers have no idea about that constant struggle. They'll watch the film and go 'this scene sucks' or 'why are the special effects so bad'.

I think if one person wants this castle to be bigger, better, with sculpted interiors and accessories, it's Scott AND the 4 horsemen.
    We're all on the same boat on this one.

I'm happy they're trying to add a little head space on the door. The fans have been extremely constructive on this issue and I like it when communication goes smoothly in both directions.
    Last edited by oulala; February 27, 2013 at 12:16am.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

This will go down as the biggest disappointment in the line. Made me stop collecting. Too bad. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    Scott is not God you know. Unfortunately, he doesn't have any power on the rising price of plastic or the salaries of chinese workers.

We can't blame that one guy for every hurdle. It's not really fair.

His name and reputation is on the line on that castle. If you think about it, that's probably his most ambitious project to date. The most expensive collectible on Mattycollector (not sure how much was the hoverboard). His name is associated with the line, he was personnally selling us the castle in videos. He obviously wants this castle to be a success but like any big project, there's a budget he must stick to.

I can relate to this because as a movie director, god, how many things did I have to cut down, despite agreeing with producers on a budget. You want everything to be perfect but you unfortunately have to give up so much, all the time. It's very cruel, and the viewers have no idea about that constant struggle. They'll watch the film and go 'this scene sucks' or 'why are the special effects so bad'.

I think if one person wants this castle to be bigger, better, with sculpted interiors and accessories, it's Scott AND the 4 horsemen.
    We're all on the same boat on this one.

I'm happy they're trying to add a little head space on the door. The fans have been extremely constructive on this issue and I like it when communication goes smoothly in both directions.
    Great post, PERFECT analogy!
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Quote Originally Posted by jzachery View Post
    He'll tear down the rest of the castle before that thing goes. LOL
    So true
    If plastic costs sooo much, then that thing should be first on the chopping block to get cut, if they cut anything else.
    I find it funny he won't even budge about putting a plug in it, so it will look better as a floor.

It's also a shame they won't look into thinning the floors. They look nice and all, but a bit thinner would give more clearance.

I suppose the silver lining is that anything missing from the interior can always be added later.

Wow, those answers all sound so negative.

To paraphrase Gwildor: "you see Scott, promoting a dream playset is relatively easy, but your tone Scott, your tone. . .stinks"

Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    I understand that the cost of producing these kinds of things goes up all the time, but Scott needs to take that into consideration when he works up the initial plan/budget. It should come as no surprise to him since he repeatedly told the fans about the rising cost of plastic when shilling the 2013 sub.

Perhaps he should have started off with a far more modest castle and then surprise us if things were able to be added in later, rather than build up our expectations to a level that can never be delivered on.

Don't promise us the world and then start stripping things away. It happens with every project Scott oversees and it does his reputation no favours.

I'm sure in the end I'll get the castle and have a blast with it, but it frustrates me when we are initially enticed with a concept that is far more awesome than what we will receive. If we didn't know what we were missing in the first place it wouldn't be such a big deal.
    "The boyy is dangerous. They all sense it, why can't you?"

http://jediboyy.pawnbrand.com/
    http://jediboyy.deviantart.com/

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JEDIboyy View Post
    Perhaps he should have started off with a far more modest castle and then surprise us if things were able to be added in later, rather than build up our expectations to a level that can never be delivered on.
    This, 100%.

But clearly IMO no one cared about being realistic and being able to deliver on promises, but instead on reaching the pre-order quota by any means necessary.

Which to me feels increasingly like it was less about actually getting to greenlight the project and give fans a supreme quality product, and more to avoid egg on one's face following such a public, potentially failed endeavor.

I hate to hear that accessories could be cut, but if something has to go, I would rather loose the weapons and/or the wind raider plug piece. Please do not cut the bat jet pack or the Robot! I'm not at all bothered by the interior as described and actually prefer this to the flat surfaces shown at NYTF. And I am very happy to hear that they are looking into a way to lower the jawbridge a bit. I think this will make a big difference.

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    This project is a huge risk for the line. It didn't have to be tackled. Be gracious and excited for the playset.

If you would have asked anyone back in 2007 or 2008 if we would ever see another Grayskull anyone would have answered maybe in another 10-20 years if we are lucky. You might not agree with all of Scott's decisions, but he has helped make this line work at Mattel. I'm sure that if 4H and Scott didn't fight for this playset Mattel would have cared less if it was made or not.

Have you guys ever tried pitching projects like this at work to management that is all about the bottom line? This is not an easy job at times and so there has to be some balance between the finished product, costs and profits.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Personally, I think it'd be absolutely outrageous if they cut anything else. This thing is almost $300 for frig sake.

I can see Scott lowering expectations, so when the castle comes out full of awesomeness, fewer people will own it and everyone will want it, making this $250 castle go for $1000 on ebay. We should all buy two of them now

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemus203 View Post
    I hate to hear that accessories could be cut, but if something has to go, I would rather loose the weapons and/or the wind raider plug piece. Please do not cut the bat jet pack or the Robot! I'm not at all bothered by the interior as described and actually prefer this to the flat surfaces shown at NYTF. And I am very happy to hear that they are looking into a way to lower the jawbridge a bit. I think this will make a big difference.
    Ironically.... I'm exactly the opposite.

I LOVE the robot... but not THAT robot. A hollowed out statue that isn't even 'to scale' with the figures i pretty much useless to me. I had always hoped for a FIGURE fo the robot, but the unarticulated statue??? Meh....

Having that thing around only kills any hope we'll get a BETTER robot later.

And the jet pack??? I think it looks ugly. I would have rather had the gargoyle that was the original elevator string... Jet pack means nothing to me.

What i Don't understand is WHY all the hate for the wind raider stand?!?? YES it's pointless to have that hole there... and YES NOBODY is going to 'park' it there...

But that PIE PIECE... is DANG NEAR REQUIRED to even USE the castle. That half inch 'step' from the base up to the 'main' floor' destroys any 'PLAY' area inside the castle. In the old days we just set it on the floor or a table and that was ALL our 'main floor'.

With that stupid step up, we NEED the extra 'floor space' to have a half way decent battle scened. I absolutely do NOT want that piece cut under ANY circumstances.

BEST possible situation, would be for them to hollow out that base piece... Drop the 'main floor' that inch or so... and lose the pie piece. But ONLY if they lower the floor... It gives us MORE 'main floor' by going back to table space... and would give more headroom on that first floor.

However I doubt they will do that, so by all means GIVE US AS MUCH FLOOR AS POSSIBLE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter View Post
    This project is a huge risk for the line. It didn't have to be tackled. Be gracious and excited for the playset.

If you would have asked anyone back in 2007 or 2008 if we would ever see another Grayskull anyone would have answered maybe in another 10-20 years if we are lucky. You might not agree with all of Scott's decisions, but he has helped make this line work at Mattel. I'm sure that if 4H and Scott didn't fight for this playset Mattel would have cared less if it was made or not.

Have you guys ever tried pitching projects like this at work to management that is all about the bottom line? This is not an easy job at times and so there has to be some balance between the finished product, costs and profits.
    Just look around you and see how many high end toys and/or tech products you can get for $300? We're getting a plastic shell shaped like a castle with a skull in the middle of it's facade, with some added accessories! Don't make it sound like we're that lucky to get it! If Mattel isn't making a decent profit from it, it won't make it, period... They aren't doing it as a favor you know!
    I could understand their logic if it was scheduled under $100, but for $300, people have the right to complain if it doesn't meet their expectations.
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkkosis View Post
    Just look around you and see how many high end toys and/or tech products you can get for $300? We're getting a plastic shell shaped like a castle with a skull in the middle of it's facade, with some added accessories! Don't make it sound like we're that lucky to get it! If Mattel isn't making a decent profit from it, it won't make it, period... They aren't doing it as a favor you know!
    I could understand their logic if it was scheduled under $100, but for $300, people have the right to complain if it doesn't meet their expectations.
    Well said! They're not doing us any favors and people shouldn't be greatful for whatever they get. It was $300 on blind faith. It would be like forking over good money for a steak dinner with all the fixings only to be served a value menu burger for the same price.

Like many have said - predictable answers from Scott. Pretty much nothing is going to change for the better but the response to question 8 is the big worry...... if he's saying it now I'm betting we'll see stuff removed by SDCC.

What annoys me most is that they upped the price from the initial $200 announced at last year's SDCC to $250 in order to cover things like price rises and give them some room to work so that we would get 'at least everyhting on the B sheet, but not less'.

Now the message seems to be we messed up the pricing of this thing so badly that we can't deliver what we told you - hence smaller proportions, accessories removed and reduction in detail/paint apps with likely more to come.

The castle looks great from the outside but at over $400 shipped to the UK it's a no buy from me. Very disappointing.
    Last edited by ADPriceless; February 27, 2013 at 05:00am.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    But that PIE PIECE... is DANG NEAR REQUIRED to even USE the castle. That half inch 'step' from the base up to the 'main' floor' destroys any 'PLAY' area inside the castle. In the old days we just set it on the floor or a table and that was ALL our 'main floor'.

With that stupid step up, we NEED the extra 'floor space' to have a half way decent battle scened. I absolutely do NOT want that piece cut under ANY circumstances.
    You are aware that the pie doesnīt even go all the length of the castle? There still is a "step" left and right of the pie piece - AND the pie itself!
    It doesnīt matter if you use it or not, there will definetly be steps.

BEST possible situation, would be for them to hollow out that base piece... Drop the 'main floor' that inch or so... and lose the pie piece. But ONLY if they lower the floor... It gives us MORE 'main floor' by going back to table space... and would give more headroom on that first floor.
    Exactly this would be the perfect solution. More headroom, more display space with less steps, no Wind Raider peghole that out of 130 customers 127 do not want.

I donīt even care any more if the money saved from cutting the pie piece is spent on anything else. Mattel can put that money to their profit if they want. Itīs a ridiculously large piece and therefore a ridiculously large tool has to be made for it. Thatīs enormous cost that can SO easily be saved. Use the tolling money on including a second set of already tooled weapons rack weapons. The ones that we only got in maroon: shield, club, sword, axe and rifle. SO we can finally "complete" our weapons rack.
    Positivity, folks!
    Letīs all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!

Pixel Dan reviewed a new turtles playset that was 4ft tall and packed with features and that is Ģ100 to buy!

I'm disappointed about the fact that accessories might be cut. This totally totally contradicts what Scott said before the sculpt was revealed. That isn't fair.

A lot of people made this happen by pre-ordering on sight unseen and they're goin the same way that they did when they made the BTTF Hover Board.

First we were told 'about $200' then it went up to $250 and now it's back on sale at $275 for those without enough blind faith to commit to buy based on the b-sheet. Surely the new price point will offset some of the cost of including accessories?

Maybe they're not selling enough at the new price point?!

The conspiracy theorist in me is saying that they want people to cancel pre-orders at the $250 price point, show the final piece at SDCC with some fan demanded changes and with a slew of accessories and make those who cancelled buy the castle at the higher price point.

I can get over the size issues somewhat but when you've categorically said that everything on the b-sheet will be included, then go back on your word, that's not good so I hope I'm right about the above!

Quote Originally Posted by Skeledak View Post
    Pixel Dan reviewed a new turtles playset that was 4ft tall and packed with features and that is Ģ100 to buy!
    But isnt' the Nickelodeon Sewer Playset in Retail?
    It's a whole different ball-game to compare toys sold in retail than through an online-store via pre-order...

The castle has a lot of issues for me.

The ground floor without the WR stand donīt look good.
    The Orb room, which is supposed to keep the Power of the Universe is at feet level and looks like a pizza oven.
    The top floor above the computer room doesnīt quite fit and blocks the screen.
    The Grayskull robot is half a statue and changes the throne room disposition so the throne is no longer at the center and the trap door leads to front door. And I really wanted the grayskull robot.
    The sculpting, yes, the 4H are geniuses but personally the sculpt is lacking that degraded, even rotten feeling the old prototype and toy had, with lots of imperfections and asymmetries. Now thereīs a lot of sharp edges in the stones, making it look not so old, and Iīm not really digging the skull, really, those cheekbones bother me, the teeth and nose, not digging it.. The original old prototype was the kind of sculpting I was looking for, man that was a so much better prototype in general, everything worked.
    This kind of castle should have stone floors, I have never seen a really old castle with wooden floors, really.
    The negative walls are almost a deal breaker to me, Iīll wait till SDCC but Iīm really considering canceling my order or maybe keep it MOC just to resell it.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Best thing I can take from that Q & A is that they are trying to rework the jawbridge height and the slits for the Sorceress. The rest doesn't fill me with any joy.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Nobody cares that the trap door doesn't drop into the dungeon?!?!
    That seems like the biggest craziness of the entire situation

I wish he could increase the price point already and give us what he/we wants
    Saturday Morning ToyZ at Facebook, Flickr and Blogspot!

Widget
    This is so Mattel... Reminds me of the "We have to get x subscriptions for 2013, otherwise the line will be cancelled!" They fool us wherever they can to make max profits. I have no problem with making max profits, but not on the back of the customer. Iīm so glad I didnīt preorder this deficient crap. In China production of this castle will be around 10 $ and theyīre selling it for 250 $. Shame on you, Mattel!