Page 121 of 186 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131171 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,025 of 4645

Thread: MOTUC Castle Grayskull Discussion Thread

It won't change anything other than never getting a castle at all.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    It won't change anything other than never getting a castle at all.
    I donīt think so. Depends on how much canceling their preorder.

But i know what u mean. It must be now! not after sdcc
    action features for action figures!

I kind of wish it was more asymmetrical.That's what gives the castle more character.I'm actually really surprised they are giving us a chance to cancel it.

Quote Originally Posted by Feast-Man View Post
    I donīt think so. Depends on how much canceling their preorder.

But i know what u mean. It must be now! not after sdcc
    I'm saying if 100% of orders get cancelled. They're not going to start over and offer us another one. This is it.

They have to let us cancel because they already violated the original contract we agreed to when we signed up. That is the ONLY reason we CAN cancel.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

What contract did they violate?

Feels like they pretty much covered themselves on this one, emphasis mine:

Ideally, the set will include everything shown in the initial sculpt and in the “B sheet” product drawings to the left, but please remember these are working drawings and aren’t final yet.
    One last thing… because this is a work-in-progress, features may be added or removed from the proposed design, but we can’t confirm anything now. We’re seriously as excited as you are by the prospect of finally having a Castle GrayskullŪ playset and Mattel will do everything to ensure we deliver as much value as possible!
    If produced, this will be the largest, most ambitious MOTUC item ever made – the dimensions are expected to be somewhere around 25”h x 26”w x 28”d (subject to change).
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Some folks only read what they wanna read!

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    What contract did they violate?

Feels like they pretty much covered themselves on this one, emphasis mine:
    Then why let people cancel? People end up disliking figures in the sub, but are not allowed to cancel. So this is not Mattel being nice. What is the story?
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Lookie View Post
    Then why let people cancel? People end up disliking figures in the sub, but are not allowed to cancel. So this is not Mattel being nice. What is the story?
    Well... just a guess, mind you...

I think, like the Hoverboard, it's just the best option customer service-wise. You don't want a lot of unhappy people grousing about something they were forced to buy sight unseen. Even though they tried to make clear the reality of the situation and should not be legally bound to offer up a refund, it's the best thing to do in the long term. Also, I imagine it's more of a headache to try to track down people who might try to dodge payment by canceling cards or refusing shipments.

Realistically, they know a VERY small percentage of people are likely to cancel the order unless the final thing is a complete disaster, which they aren't planning on obviously! I think they have more confidence in Grayskull than some fans do. I imagine they'd rather have that stock freed up for day of sales.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Heroic Warrior
    Can someone post the video of Scott promising nothing would be cut etc.?

Heroic Warrior
    My theory.. The only castles offered on Day of Sale will be the ones you canceled. Now they can make MORE money off something without having to go on a limb by upping production.

Add in the goodwill the company gets from the 'if your not happy, you don't get charged' customer service...

Win/Win.

Besides... who wants to listen to people screaming and threatening for 12 months by forcing them to buy what they don't want???

Now they can just say "You aren't happy... you cancel!" and they look like the good guys.

Seems like good business to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vikor View Post
    Can someone post the video of Scott promising nothing would be cut etc.?
    Why? So you can post it on Mattycollectors and tell him to explain himself.

Besides, the only thing I can see that got "cut" is the dungeon grate. On the flip side, there are additions that were not in the B sheet.

I also don't think Scott realized it was on the B sheet when he was talking about the Castle including at least everything on the B sheet. In recent interviews he said it was never intended because it was clear the deco on it would be too expensive. The 4 hoursemen added it and even sculpted it because they like to provide more than requested sometimes. Which is evident by things like Grizzlor's 200x head and other weapons they sometimes add, un-requested by Mattel.
    Last edited by Jinxieman; February 18, 2013 at 09:46pm.

i have a preorder that i think i may cancel... i like the castle for the most part, but i'm just tired of mattels excuses and poor decisions. this castle should be everything the original was. or did i miss the point?

the prison cage is a nice new addition, as well as the extra floors, but the wind raider stand is garbage, the tower canon is puny, the robot suit should have been an actual figure, or armor for a buck. leaving out the dungeon grate is a huge disappointment. paint aps make it too expensive? so don't paint it, but don't cut it. foolish. and btw, not everyone has the weapons rack. it should come with the castle, just as the original did.

charging $300 for an item that costs them less than a third of that cost to produce, then making excuses for cutting corners and failing the fans.
    you can see pics of all my projects on my facebook page. facebook.com/don.schomer or email me :athf15683@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis15425 View Post
    charging $300 for an item that costs them less than a third of that cost to produce, then making excuses for cutting corners and failing the fans.
    Please site your source for this statement??? I would be highly interested in seeing how much each unit cost to produce and what their overhead it! (Which I would be shocked to find out is actually that low of a cost per unit to produce, when you take into account the cost they put into paying the 4H to sculpt it, wages and salaries of Mattel employee's working on it, tooling costs, material costs, paint apps, paying for factory employee's time and wages...and everything else that I have not clue about what goes into producing a large scale item like this).

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinxieman View Post
    Why? So you can post it on Mattycollectors and tell him to explain himself.

Besides, the only thing I can see that got "cut" is the dungeon grate. On the flip side, there are additions that were not in the B sheet.

I also don't think Scott realized it was on the B sheet when he was talking about the Castle including at least everything on the B sheet. In recent interviews he said it was never intended because it was clear the deco on it would be too expensive. The 4 hoursemen added it and even sculpted it because they like to provide more than requested sometimes. Which is evident by things like Grizzlor's 200x head and other weapons they sometimes add, un-requested by Mattel.

I'd like to see the actual video because people keep mentioning it, and I'd like to judge for myself what kind of promises were made versus what is being delivered so I can make an informed decision on whether I will cancel or not. Besides, what I post on another forum is my business, and I'm perferectly allowed to do so without being chastised for it here.

It's a moot point.

1. They've costed the entire thing out. Can't make it bigger or add the monster grate without raising the price.

2. You can cancel if you're unhappy with the final version at SDCC.

Calling Scott a liar won't help anything.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    It's a moot point.

1. They've costed the entire thing out. Can't make it bigger or add the monster grate without raising the price.

2. You can cancel if you're unhappy with the final version at SDCC.

Calling Scott a liar won't help anything.
    Who is calling Scott a liar? I hope that wasn't in reference to me as I said nothing of the sort. I want all the information before I make my choice, its called responsible decision making.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    My theory.. The only castles offered on Day of Sale will be the ones you canceled. Now they can make MORE money off something without having to go on a limb by upping production.

Add in the goodwill the company gets from the 'if your not happy, you don't get charged' customer service...

Win/Win.

Besides... who wants to listen to people screaming and threatening for 12 months by forcing them to buy what they don't want???

Now they can just say "You aren't happy... you cancel!" and they look like the good guys.

Seems like good business to me.
    Unfortunately this option still isn't good enough for some, as they want a Castle! and exactly to their specifications.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Feast-Man View Post
    Ok, the castle ist smaller than what was promised to us trough scotts video. Now we should all cancel it, maybe they will change sth.
    Guys, its THE CASTLE! They should do it right from the inside, outside and size. No hollow out stuff
    The majority will not cancel their subs, because they're happy with it.

I ask myself, how many adult people really use a playset for a long time?

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    The majority will not cancel their subs, because they're happy with it.

I ask myself, how many adult people really use a playset for a long time?
    I had no plans to use it for a playset, because I haven't really played with any toys since the 80's. But I did cancel my order for a couple of reasons.

First, I was kind of on the fence about the whole thing to begin with. My major gripe with the original playset is that it's two pieces that open like a book. I think it should be evenly partitioned like the double walled 200X Castle at the very least, and at best it should have four walls. Maybe it's the OCD in me, but whenever I see an opened Castle Grayskull I always feel like it's missing the other half of it. When I was a kid I actually had two Castles that I put together to give the impression that it had four walls. This is not Mattel's fault, I knew what I was getting into when I ordered the thing. (It would have also been cool to have the rubber mat that was in the original prototype, but hey, this is Matty we're talking about. .30 worth of vinyl to them is like a brick of gold when it comes to MOTUC.)

But then (and correct me if I'm wrong, because I've not read this entire thread), the blueprint lost a ton of scale when it went to the resin model. In the video reveal, Scott says that it will lose even more girth when it gets shrunk down into plastic. So the size has not only been scaled back once, but twice. I was expecting this thing to be at least a foot taller than it's probably going to end up.

I do recall reading/hearing/walking away with the impression/dreaming that we were going to get, at the very least, ALL the products featured in the B-sheet, with the promise of more features if the pre-orders were overwhelming. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but that's what I've been thinking since the pre-order poll went up.

But now, after upholding our end of the agreement, I find that I'm getting (1) less than was promised (2) nothing "extra" and (3) a "Cottage" Grayskull, as it's now being called due to its reduced scale. I would have been much happier with an actual in-scale five foot tall facade for $200.

So I cancelled my order. Now don't get me wrong, this would be an awesome playset for figures from the original line, being that they're a head shorter than MOTUC figures. I hear that naysayers are complaining about the complainers (nothing new there) in that if it were any bigger, we'd all be complaining about not having anywhere to display it. A 2013 Castle frigging Grayskull should be the one toy in your collection that takes up as much damned space as it needs. In other words, there's no such thing as "too big" when it comes to the most iconic action figure playset of the 1980's (or dare I say, of all time?)

Someone mentioned earlier the overhead involved and why this toy needs to be priced at $300. The whole point of Matty Collector is that it's a direct sale online boutique niche product- hence very low overhead. The figures are produced cheaply in China, with a lack of quality that a toyline like MOTUC deserves, and they have a built in customer base that they sell to that virtually guarantees no returns, excess inventory, etc like they would with a typical department store/general public toyline. Let's not kid ourselves here, Mattel isn't making a fortune off of this line as a whole, compared to Barbie, but they're damned sure turning more of a profit off of it than they are a Barbie doll.

The formula's pretty simple. Sell a particular Barbie doll and they net 42 cents. Sell a particular MOTUC figure and they net 4.00. If they manufacture, say, 5 to 7,000 Mer-Men they've made $280,000 off that toy. If they sell three million Streetwalker Barbie dolls, they've made $1,680,000. (These figures are estimates and they include overhead like advertising, sculpting and all related costs.)

So Mattel is going to charge $300 for what should be a $100 toy because it's just not worth their time to make a toy that's not going to make them a few hundred thousand dollars. I guess that's really what frustrates me the most about this line is that there's always talk about not having enough money to do this and that, but the money's there. It's just going into Mattel's pocket while they experiment with this crazy "selling toys over the internet to adults" brainstorming project they had a few years ago when someone was talking to corporate, sending some faxes and promoting synergy. Which makes me cry deeply and demand a refund.
    1 of 200 active He-Man.org members.

Heroic Warrior
    Valid points. It's hard for me, because I wanted this castle, too. But I am really underwhelmed, what the prototype comes up with.

I guess, many fans are happy with that castle, because of the beautiful sculpt of the outside. The 4HM nailed the skull and the proportions of the front piece. It is so awesome, that most fans will accept the size, because it's the best Grayskull sculpt ever. I agree with that.

But the size and the interior don't do it for me.

My point is that I wouldn't ever be satisfied with this castle standing on my shelf for the price. I would regret it, everytime I see it...

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Well... just a guess, mind you...

I think, like the Hoverboard, it's just the best option customer service-wise. You don't want a lot of unhappy people grousing about something they were forced to buy sight unseen. Even though they tried to make clear the reality of the situation and should not be legally bound to offer up a refund, it's the best thing to do in the long term. Also, I imagine it's more of a headache to try to track down people who might try to dodge payment by canceling cards or refusing shipments.

Realistically, they know a VERY small percentage of people are likely to cancel the order unless the final thing is a complete disaster, which they aren't planning on obviously! I think they have more confidence in Grayskull than some fans do. I imagine they'd rather have that stock freed up for day of sales.
    I remember people BEFORE the reveal stating that maybe the 4H would be pulled from it or some other disaster would happen and we were all convinced that Mattel wouldn't jack this up. Well, IMO (in my opinion) they did. While the 4H DID make it, Mattel has cut back on things that were said (I guess Scott is too smart to put it in text), but things said that I personally heard (through RGD and Power-Con):
    the inside wouldn't be the opposite of the outside (sounding more and more like this will be the case)
    Filmation nods (I don't see any)
    The orb chamber would hold the stand that came with the 2nd Sorceress (now they had to make a new stand instead)

Just too many things are bothering me. I AM waiting for the SDCC reveal to see how much worse things get, but for about $300, I am just not feeling it. I do have the Grayskull statue coming from icon heroes though and I know what I am getting there.

Oh and I have heard that the grating was not sculpted "just for fun" (as Scott said) but it wasn't supposed to be shown (on MTV Geek).
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

I just posted this in the according poll, but felt it is worth posting here as well.

There seems to be only one reason for the ground floor being elevated an inch (or more): The hole where the original Wind Raider stand plugs into. Without that hole (that 99 out of 100 fans have no need for anyway) the floor could be set down at least an inch, gaining much needed height!
    And why would we want to get rid of the hole? Because it is basically just a different "base" for the original Wind Raider stand. And if anything, having the stand in a static, predefined position is a huge disadvantage as opposed to the original WR display stand.

How do you feel about this, fans?
    Positivity, folks!
    Letīs all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Force View Post
    I just posted this in the according poll, but felt it is worth posting here as well.

There seems to be only one reason for the ground floor being elevated an inch (or more): The hole where the original Wind Raider stand plugs into. Without that hole (that 99 out of 100 fans have no need for anyway) the floor could be set down at least an inch, gaining much needed height!
    And why would we want to get rid of the hole? Because it is basically just a different "base" for the original Wind Raider stand. And if anything, having the stand in a static, predefined position is a huge disadvantage as opposed to the original WR display stand.

As I already stated elsewhere, I don't think the stand/hole is really meant for the Wind Raider. Maybe they are just planning ahead for a (much more suitable) Talon Fighter.

Aside from that, I agree with everything you said.
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by braxsis364 View Post
    You can use any theroy you want it still boils down to.do I like the Castle in witch my case is no.

inprovements need to be made and if not it would be a bad choice for matell.I see matell stands to loose a lot of money.oh well you want to be greedy you loose. not us take that to the bank Matell smoes.
    It's just not going to happen. You might see the jawbridge sink a little lower in the base, but that's as far as they'll go. TG made his stance and it's his way or the highway. There's absolutely no dialogue or fan input on this one. And they have no reason to do any drastic changes since there is no significant public outcry over it. Almost everyone deems the castle too small yet most of the fans are happy enough with what was shown. Unlike when Frosta or Snake MAA were revealed: complaints just went on and on ...

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    I guess, many fans are happy with that castle, because of the beautiful sculpt of the outside. The 4HM nailed the skull and the proportions of the front piece. It is so awesome, that most fans will accept the size, because it's the best Grayskull sculpt ever. I agree with that.

But the size and the interior don't do it for me.
    That's exactly why I'm keeping mine: the Horsemen crafted a masterpiece for the outer shell and since I only wanted a facade to begin with, the disappointing interior doesn't bother me as much. But it's quite expensive for just a facade, though.

The orb chamber would hold the stand that came with the 2nd Sorceress (now they had to make a new stand instead)
    Actually that isn't true, it was stated right from the start that it was going to be a different orb holder.

Oh and I have heard that the grating was not sculpted "just for fun" (as Scott said) but it wasn't supposed to be shown (on MTV Geek).
    This annoys me greatly as well. If the Horsemen just did it for fun then it should also be theirs to produce and sell for the fans that want it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Force View Post

I say kick it out, it's a useless eyesore.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader