Page 122 of 186 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132172 ... LastLast
Results 3,026 to 3,050 of 4645

Thread: MOTUC Castle Grayskull Discussion Thread

  1. #3026
    Grew up on a horse Baena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,725
    My two cents on Grayskull.
    I was heavily active when it was time to pre-order the thing. I know I'm responsible for at least a few Grayskull orders due to my enthusiasm for it.
    I've got a flavor for the fan response, but honestly I'm not reading everyone's posts, as I do start reading you're all talking in circles for the most part, both good and bad.
    I'm not out to convert anyone that might be disgruntled by the size or the look on the reveal of the prototype, we're all our own people with our own stories and preferences, and that's cool. I'm just sharing my view at this time.

    Here it is...

    I was one of the few that was lucky enough to see it in person, shortly after seeing the photos of the prototype.
    When I saw the photos, I saw immediately that they were small, and an unpainted prototype with simple lighting, so I knew right then and there, to hold off judgement until I saw it in person, which I knew I would be in just a couple of days from seeing the photos.
    And even in those photos, while I wasn't casting final judgements, I liked what I saw! Liked it a lot! Visually, I could quickly see differences from the blueprints, that I liked, and felt the 4H did their job and enhanced the final sculpt from the quickly sketched 2D drawings. I was even more excited to see the painted final as the few hours passed.

    Seeing it in person.

    I was completely in awe. Painted up and live very much immediately gave me the sensation of seeing the Castle, as I always hoped it would've been back when I was 7 years old and seeing Alcala's renderings of it for the first time. The ledge, the taller dome, the depth to the skull, the shape of the brow on the skull, it was haunting and beautiful all at once.
    I had heard that fans were beginning to get fussy about the size, and learned from official sources that indeed, the final had to be scaled down a couple inches. But seeing it in person, with the figures, both the inside and the outside... it works for me! And "too small" doesn't even enter your mind when you see it in person like this! And that was the consensus from EVERYONE that was there in person to see it!
    The experience was singular, and amazing. Something I'll remember fondly forever more. I cannot wait to get my own in December. Christmas of 2013 will be one to remember without a doubt.

    A few days pass, I get to hang out with the 4H at the studio and see more pieces of the prototypes up close, (keep in mind I have a special working relationship with them) it was exciting to hear of all the hands that went into building what we have here, and how fast it came together. Exactly like a flash of lighting of creativity and focus for all involved. They all have their own experiences as they worked on it, surely it wasn't without frustrations at times, but what I could tell talking with those that I could, was a sense of respect, and reverence for this Castle. Talking with Sherri, she was absolutely intimidated by the job of painting everything, not just slapping paint on a prototype, but really giving the fans what they expected. Really honoring what this is for all MotU fans, she nailed it IMO, if you think the paints look great in the photos, I wish everyone could really see the subtleties that she worked over on the actual prototype. Photos can lie, but reality doesn't and the reality was amazing! That respect was clear from everyone involved. The "16 horsemen" that touched this.

    So there you can see, I'm biased. I fully admit that. But my perspective on this is as valid as any of the armchair quarterbacks and their critiques.
    Again, people can have their opinions, and critiques, and concerns. I get that.
    Most critiques I can live with and respect. But there are some, that I can see that are repeated to the point of nausea. Cancel your order, you can, and if you're not happy with it, you should.

    I'll submit though, that when the reviews come in, sure there will be talk of a door size or a trap door in an awkward spot. And it's cool to call things out as people see fit, but please take a second and respect the craftsmanship that went into this Castle.

    I love it.
    Last edited by Baena; February 19, 2013 at 01:05pm.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

  2. #3027
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,338
    I think, not many are blaming the 4HM.

    They surely got their instructions from Mattel what to sculpt and what not. I'm still wondering, why there are not many Fulmation influences on the inside, when Filmation is so popuar in the US...
    Mattel wasted a lot of potential to make this product something special among their products.

    A lot of fans liked what they see, but I believe, that the 4HM are able to make it more spectacular, with more details, Filmation parts and more in scale, when they have more budget and time.

    I believe, there can be a castle, that blows nearly everyone away...
    Last edited by Berserker79; February 19, 2013 at 01:49pm.

  3. #3028
    Heroic Warrior fireball13z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    North Atlanta
    Posts
    5,741
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    My two cents on Grayskull.
    I was heavily active when it was time to pre-order the thing. I know I'm responsible for at least a few Grayskull orders due to my enthusiasm for it.
    I've got a flavor for the fan response, but honestly I'm not reading everyone's posts, as I do start reading you're all talking in circles for the most part, both good and bad.
    I'm not out to convert anyone that might be disgruntled by the size or the look on the reveal of the prototype, we're all our own people with our own stories and preferences, and that's cool. I'm just sharing my view at this time.

    Here it is...

    I was one of the few that was lucky enough to see it in person, shortly after seeing the photos of the prototype.
    When I saw the photos, I saw immediately that they were small, and an unpainted prototype with simple lighting, so I knew right then and there, to hold off judgement until I saw it in person, which I knew I would be in just a couple of days from seeing the photos.
    And even in those photos, while I wasn't casting final judgements, I liked what I saw! Liked it a lot! Visually, I could quickly see differences from the blueprints, that I liked, and felt the 4H did their job and enhanced the final sculpt from the quickly sketched 2D drawings. I was even more excited to see the painted final as the few hours passed.

    Seeing it in person.

    I was completely in awe. Painted up and live very much immediately gave me the sensation of seeing the Castle, as I always hoped it would've been back when I was 7 years old and seeing Alcala's renderings of it for the first time. The ledge, the taller dome, the depth to the skull, the shape of the brow on the skull, it was haunting and beautiful all at once.
    I had heard that fans were beginning to get fussy about the size, and learned from official sources that indeed, the final had to be scaled down a couple inches. But seeing it in person, with the figures, both the inside and the outside... it works for me! And "too small" doesn't even enter your mind when you see it in person like this! And that was the consensus from EVERYONE that was there in person to see it!
    The experience was singular, and amazing. Something I'll remember fondly forever more. I cannot wait to get my own in December. Christmas of 2013 will be one to remember without a doubt.

    A few days pass, I get to hang out with the 4H at the studio and see more pieces of the prototypes up close, (keep in mind I have a special working relationship with them) it was exciting to hear of all the hands that went into building what we have here, and how fast it came together. Exactly like a flash of lighting of creativity and focus for all involved. They all have their own experiences as they worked on it, surely it wasn't without frustrations at times, but what I could tell talking with those that I could, was a sense of respect, and reverence for this Castle. Talking with Sherri, she was absolutely intimidated by the job of painting everything, not just slapping paint on a prototype, but really giving the fans what they expected. Really honoring what this is for all MotU fans, she nailed it IMO, if you think the paints look great in the photos, I wish everyone could really see the subtleties that she worked over on the actual prototype. Photos can lie, but reality doesn't and the reality was amazing! That respect was clear from everyone involved. The "16 horsemen" that touched this.

    So there you can see, I'm biased. I fully admit that. But my perspective on this is as valid as any of the armchair quarterbacks and their critiques.
    Again, people can have their opinions, and critiques, and concerns. I get that.
    Most critiques I can live with and respect. But there are some, that I can see that are repeated to the point of nausea. Cancel your order, you can, and if you're not happy with it, you should.

    I'll submit though, that when the reviews come in, sure there will be talk of a door size or a trap door in an awkward spot. And it's cool to call things out as people see fit, but please take a second and respect the craftsmanship that went into this Castle.

    I love it.
    we really need a like button on this forum

    great post Nate, cant wait for Dec, hell I cant wait till SDCC to see this bad boy in person
    the ignore list is my new best friend

  4. #3029
    Grew up on a horse Baena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    I think, not many are blaming the 4HM.

    They surely got their instructions from Mattel what to sculpt and what not. I'm still wondering, why there are not many Fulmation influences on the inside, when Filmation is so popuar in the US...
    Mattel wasted a lot of potential to make this product something special among their products.

    A lot of fans liked what they see, but I believe, that the 4HM are able to make it more spectacular, with more details, Filmation parts and more in scale, when they have more budget and time.

    I believe, there can be a castle, that blows nearly everyone away...
    No doubt about it, and I recognize, fans aren't entirely blaming the 4H. (there still are some) But by in large, the blame is at Mattel for shrinking it from the blueprints. I get that. and in all honesty, I totally wish it was just a few inches taller. But the difference here is I'm not expecting it of Mattel, and the size change does not diminish the castle as a playset for me personally. And I know I'm not alone in this.
    Mattel has their reasons, and they can't always be public about their reasons for obvious reasons! I'm looking forward to the Roast Gooble Dinner episode this week, as Scott is on to talk about the Castle, I'm guessing they'll address it with him.

    As to the Filmation or lack of Filmation? We knew this from the beginning pitch. It would be based on early art, the prototype, etc.

    There is a great filmation nod in there with the sword hanger on the wall! I know it's small, but it's something, and that little something I would think goes a long ways to show fans, yes Grayskull is for He-Man AND She-Ra.

    This Classics grayskull in my opinion is still following the style that has been set with Classics from the beginning. With items that have been with us from MotU's beginnings, they tend to follow the artwork from the minicomics, and the packaging and the toys themselves. These items came before the toon, and that respect is given in the Classics line. Whether you like it or not, that has been the style choices in this line. Filmation is getting it's due in the figures and the characters that have never had figures before.
    Maybe it would've been nice to see more Filmation in the Castle? But I'm not missing it. And what's to say there couldn't be more items that have a filmation nod be included in a weapons pack in the future? As hinted the dungeon piece might be? The portal mirror, could easily be something along these lines.

    But the Wind Raider, the Battle Ram prototype we've seen, the 8-back figures, all have been influences stylistically by the early stuff, the Castle is no different.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

  5. #3030
    Heroic Warrior Gama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Reynosa, Mexico
    Posts
    72
    Great post Baena, you really lift our spirits . I have never put in doubt how wonderful the castle looks, it is truly a work of art, and watching it side by side with Scott you can easily tell it is HUGE.

    Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    They all have their own experiences as they worked on it, surely it wasn't without frustrations at times
    I know you are not in position to divulge any insider info, I wish someone from the team responsible for this playset could come forward and explain us the reason for the elevated floor. I can't help but think that Mattel design, not the 4H, was behind this idea. In my mind the 4H would have NEVER green light a door like that, heck, weren't they behind the massive door from the 200X era (I might be wrong on this one)?

  6. #3031
    Grew up on a horse Baena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Gama View Post
    Great post Baena, you really lift our spirits . I have never put in doubt how wonderful the castle looks, it is truly a work of art, and watching it side by side with Scott you can easily tell it is HUGE.



    I know you are not in position to divulge any insider info, I wish someone from the team responsible for this playset could come forward and explain us the reason for the elevated floor. I can't help but think that Mattel design, not the 4H, was behind this idea. In my mind the 4H would have NEVER green light a door like that, heck, weren't they behind the massive door from the 200X era (I might be wrong on this one)?
    You're right, I'm not at liberty to say... But I know Scott and Eric were on RGD, (based on Eamon's post on FB). I know Eamon has issues with the size so I expect a lively conversation there between the three.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

  7. #3032
    Fighting Foe Fan Whiplash7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,891
    Baena: thanks for your posts and insight. I'll be honest, the posts I've seen blaming the 4H for anything have left me baffled. As you said, I don't get how anyone can't see the reverence and care they put into this thing. With what they were given to work with, it's incredible. It looks like the Castle I was first introduced to in the minis and the interior is a beautiful upgrade of the vintage toy.
    There are still things missing that I was excited to see and I'm disappointed in how that has been handled. I hope we can see them one day and that nothing else gets cut.

    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    I ask myself, how many adult people really use a playset for a long time?
    I don't really understand this statement. I mean, how many adult people buy toys?
    Most who do buy them for display, and the Castle will be no different. Have you ever seen how many vintage/200x/custom CG's are used in people's displays, in the photo thread? This castle will be at the centerpiece of many, many displays.
    I'm sorry you would regret the purchase every time you looked at it. For me it's the ultimate visual piece of the entire line, with a design that will take me back to my youth, where the sight of the Castle filled me with awe and wonder. Just like the updated figures, this updated castle is going to be awesome. I wish they were including as much inside as they originally said there would be, but the things we have seen are perfect, imo.

  8. #3033
    Heroic Warrior Saved's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Louisville/Ft Knox, KY
    Posts
    947
    Without taking the credit away from the horsemen for another amazing sculpt, the jawbridge size issue is making me strongly consider canceling my preorders.
    Jii Dee regarding Matty's view on MOTUC Collectors: "Here be whiny surrender monkey dragons".

    MOTUC NEEDS: Sssqueeze, Dragstor, Saurod, Blast Attack, & Lord Masque.

  9. #3034
    Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    6,195
    Love Baena's enthusiasm on this!

    I loved the look and feel of CG from the photos already, but getting the extra seal of approval from such a Grayskull aficionado who's seen it up close, is definitely reassuring.

    That said, I do look forward to the day when I can kinda be done with this line.
    Promising the moon and failing to deliver is par for the course far too often.

    There was a lot of trust and good will put forth by the fan base in over-selling a pre-order for something we didn't even see a crumb of, and what does Mattel do with that? What they always do.

    I'm reminded of a lot, especially the issues with Wind Raider, and once again we have to ask ourselves: who is running things here, and why are they so lousy at their jobs? If WAY more than the quota was willing to blindly offer $250 for Grayskull, it only stands to reason that most of those same people would've gone up to $275, or whatever would've been needed for the extra "oomph" we were promised.

    I personally really don't NEED CG to be bigger than it's gonna be, but it's the principle of the thing, and I definitely understand the fans' frustrations.

    Talk is cheap, but fans' faith is gonna be an increasingly rare (and expensive) commodity in the MotU world . . .

  10. #3035
    Heroic Warrior braxsis364's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    Love Baena's enthusiasm on this!

    I loved the look and feel of CG from the photos already, but getting the extra seal of approval from such a Grayskull aficionado who's seen it up close, is definitely reassuring.

    That said, I do look forward to the day when I can kinda be done with this line.
    Promising the moon and failing to deliver is par for the course far too often.

    There was a lot of trust and good will put forth by the fan base in over-selling a pre-order for something we didn't even see a crumb of, and what does Mattel do with that? What they always do.

    I'm reminded of a lot, especially the issues with Wind Raider, and once again we have to ask ourselves: who is running things here, and why are they so lousy at their jobs? If WAY more than the quota was willing to blindly offer $250 for Grayskull, it only stands to reason that most of those same people would've gone up to $275, or whatever would've been needed for the extra "oomph" we were promised.

    I personally really don't NEED CG to be bigger than it's gonna be, but it's the principle of the thing, and I definitely understand the fans' frustrations.

    Talk is cheap, but fans' faith is gonna be an increasingly rare (and expensive) commodity in the MotU world . . .
    I am in totall argeement, you have to be compleatly blind. to not see this is just a case of corperate greed. and they never planed on giveing us, what they first promissed. why dont we all cancell our CG orders. and tell them give us what you origanaly promissed us. with whatever cost increase, we want what was promissed us. plain and simple or you are fired!!

    you cant promiss us the world then give us crap your all done. I was actively collecting these on ebay I have a MOTUC sub.but I definitly don't what this mockery of Grayskull.I suppose it would work nicely with vintage figures. and 200x, but the curent Clasics line its a no go.just got the Ram man and Jitso.and just going by eye, it apears that Ram man. might have to walk like an inch worm sideways to get in Grayskull.

    Ram man gose inane from claustophobiea, and bashes eveything left remaining. will be little more then a club house. Ram man now bullies Han man. with no remorse, and takein the sword of power for his own.The sorceress power, is useless on ram ram.Ram man now belives the mighty Sorceress is now his mother. and every so often trys to suckle.

    sorry all of this has got me freaked out. I think I might keep my one Preoder. just so I can rack the hell about it forever. on these forums, untill they ban me. seriusly,but on a Positive note the Castle could be used for other smaller scale Figs. and may have some vallue there.as well if you knew what you where doing, could make mold, and extensions custumize off the origanal mold.oooopps did I say that out loud.

    anyways if this is CG. what are they gona do with Snake mountain?! I cringe just thinking about it.I curently stop'ed Collecting this line until they do Grayskull justice.sorry thats how I feel about it.and others should as well. time to take a stand we're not all stupid.

  11. #3036
    Grew up on a horse Baena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,725
    It's a valid point, and I'm not making fun... But ask yourselves this question...

    How often am I going to be playing with the figures with the castle and having them walk through the door?
    How often am I going to lead a procession of heroes coming into the castle and leaving the castle?

    You can get the figures through there.

    My point is, YES, it's a playset, and YES I'm with those who will be playing with it, with my kids and as I set it up for display.

    But really, seems a lot of people really just wanted this to be a display, and with the door up, there is an inch or more above the characters heads. The main issue is when the gate is down and the character is lifted because of the jaw bridge.

    So are you canceling your order because you can't parade Gygor through the door? And you're willing to loose out on the amazing sculpt and display options?
    If you are, cool, I can respect that... I guess I am just amazed at how many will kill their chance at owning this because He-Man might pull a stormtrooper noggin' bump when he goes into the castle.

    And is it really corporate greed? Or cost of materials and shipping that mandated the size change? We have history where we can speculate some motives... But FACTS are, we just don't know... Yet.

    Okay, I'll admit I'm getting a little cheeky here.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

  12. #3037
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    1,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    It's a valid point, and I'm not making fun... But ask yourselves this question...

    How often am I going to be playing with the figures with the castle and having them walk through the door?
    How often am I going to lead a procession of heroes coming into the castle and leaving the castle?

    You can get the figures through there.

    My point is, YES, it's a playset, and YES I'm with those who will be playing with it, with my kids and as I set it up for display.

    But really, seems a lot of people really just wanted this to be a display, and with the door up, there is an inch or more above the characters heads. The main issue is when the gate is down and the character is lifted because of the jaw bridge.

    So are you canceling your order because you can't parade Gygor through the door? And you're willing to loose out on the amazing sculpt and display options?
    If you are, cool, I can respect that... I guess I am just amazed at how many will kill their chance at owning this because He-Man might pull a stormtrooper noggin' bump when he goes into the castle.

    And is it really corporate greed? Or cost of materials and shipping that mandated the size change? We have history where we can speculate some motives... But FACTS are, we just don't know... Yet.

    Okay, I'll admit I'm getting a little cheeky here.
    By all means, get cheeky. It is okay to acknowledge the possibility that Mattel might NOT be the root of all evil once in a while.
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

    DC, Marvel, MOTU, and TMNT for sale:
    DC Marvel MOTUC & TMNT For Sale

    My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

  13. #3038
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    448
    Baena - Respectfully, I resent you refering to anyone who doesn't like the castle as an armchair quarterback.

    Bottom line is, it is not what was promised. Whether you love it or not does not change the fact that Mattel's greed has spoilt this playset. You say no actual facts have come to light, but ignore the countless times Mattel has shortchanged fans in the past, and certainly will again. It is another clear open and shut case of incompetance and deceit.

    For the life of me, I cannot believe how some of the decision makers at Mattel still have their jobs. The damage they do to the brand is beyond repair. I will never sub because of them, and am 95% sure I will cancel my CG preorder.

  14. #3039
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post

    I don't really understand this statement. I mean, how many adult people buy toys?
    Most who do buy them for display, and the Castle will be no different. Have you ever seen how many vintage/200x/custom CG's are used in people's displays, in the photo thread? This castle will be at the centerpiece of many, many displays.
    I'm sorry you would regret the purchase every time you looked at it. For me it's the ultimate visual piece of the entire line, with a design that will take me back to my youth, where the sight of the Castle filled me with awe and wonder. Just like the updated figures, this updated castle is going to be awesome. I wish they were including as much inside as they originally said there would be, but the things we have seen are perfect, imo.
    You have valid points. But do you still use the button on the Wind Raider every day or do you just display your WR with a figure in it?

    There is nothing wrong with a playset to display, but do I need action features in it? Mattel will make the key/sword thing beside the door. Who really will use the sword to open the jawbridge? How many customers will really use the elevator? Why does it have to fold together? The wooden floor at the throne is cut because of the elevator. It's nonsense, like the action feature on the WR is nonsense.

    I have nothing against something to display. and I know it's the best version to date, but the size and the interior don't feel 250-300$ worthy. For that money, I want a bigger castle & sculpted inner walls.

  15. #3040
    Grew up on a horse Baena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,725
    Quote Originally Posted by IrrepressibleDH View Post
    Baena - Respectfully, I resent you refering to anyone who doesn't like the castle as an armchair quarterback.

    Bottom line is, it is not what was promised. Whether you love it or not does not change the fact that Mattel's greed has spoilt this playset. You say no actual facts have come to light, but ignore the countless times Mattel has shortchanged fans in the past, and certainly will again. It is another clear open and shut case of incompetance and deceit.

    For the life of me, I cannot believe how some of the decision makers at Mattel still have their jobs. The damage they do to the brand is beyond repair. I will never sub because of them, and am 95% sure I will cancel my CG preorder.
    Respectfully...

    I am really confused as to why 5% uncertainty keeps you from canceling... Maybe you're not quite 95% sure?

    And sorry my comments offended you. But yes, if someone insists on beating a dead horse without bringing something valuable to the table like a proper critique, then yes, I see them as an armchair quarterback.
    Last edited by Baena; February 20, 2013 at 02:13pm.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

  16. #3041
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    448
    Because I am waiting until I see the production item at SDCC before making a final decision.

  17. #3042
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    1,459
    Quote Originally Posted by IrrepressibleDH View Post
    Baena - Respectfully, I resent you refering to anyone who doesn't like the castle as a an armchair quarterback.

    Bottom line is, it is not what was promised. Whether you love it or not does not change the fact that Mattel's greed has spoilt this playset. You say no actual facts have come to light, but ignore the countless times Mattel has shortchanged fans in the past, and certainly will again. It is another clear open and shut case of incompetance and deceit.

    For the life of me, I cannot believe how some of the decision makers at Mattel still have their jobs. The damage they do to the brand is beyond repair. I will never sub because of them, and am 95% sure I will cancel my CG preorder.
    Respectfully, you have no facts either. Mattel said from the start that everything on the B-sheet would IDEALLY be included, but was subject to change. Personally, I'm disappointed that He-Man can't fit through the drawbridge on Battle Cat, but I'll live.

    Unless you are a spy from Mattel's offices, you have no proof of what things costs and that Mattel is just being "greedy".
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

    DC, Marvel, MOTU, and TMNT for sale:
    DC Marvel MOTUC & TMNT For Sale

    My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

  18. #3043
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    448
    So what you are saying is Mattel dong the exact same thing countless times before (i.e. shortchanging people on products shown before release) does not count as a fact regarding doing the exact same thing on an upcoming product?

    Thanks for correcting me.

  19. #3044
    Grew up on a horse Baena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,725
    Quote Originally Posted by IrrepressibleDH View Post
    Because I am waiting until I see the production item at SDCC before making a final decision.
    Fair enough. (careful throwing numbers around! )

    You can't entirely be faulted for thinking Mattel is greedy, the examples that enhance your case are there.
    But like Super He-Man said, you don't KNOW. You're just speculating at the end of the day, based on your opinions and previous experiences.

    My experiences have been different, I've had an easy time with DR and Mattel and haven't had a reason to have the hate towards them like others do and have.
    Last edited by Baena; February 20, 2013 at 02:32pm.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

  20. #3045
    Heroic Warrior KUZEH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,362
    Quote Originally Posted by IrrepressibleDH View Post
    Baena - Respectfully, I resent you refering to anyone who doesn't like the castle as a an armchair quarterback.

    Bottom line is, it is not what was promised. Whether you love it or not does not change the fact that Mattel's greed has spoilt this playset. You say no actual facts have come to light, but ignore the countless times Mattel has shortchanged fans in the past, and certainly will again. It is another clear open and shut case of incompetance and deceit.

    For the life of me, I cannot believe how some of the decision makers at Mattel still have their jobs. The damage they do to the brand is beyond repair. I will never sub because of them, and am 95% sure I will cancel my CG preorder.



    Seriously, I think the Castle is awesome, could it be better, of course... but I am convinced this will be THE best playset ever created!
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

    My Feedback thread!!

  21. #3046
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    1,459
    Quote Originally Posted by IrrepressibleDH View Post
    So what you are saying is Mattel dong the exact same thing countless times before (i.e. shortchanging people on products shown before release) does not count as a fact regarding doing the exact same thing on an upcoming product?

    Thanks for correcting me.
    To use a DC example, because it's the first one that popped in my head, they showed but ended up not including the staff for CNC Nekron. They said it didn't cost out. Annoying, sure, but where is the proof that they made that up and just changed their minds?

    Mattel, like any for-profit corporation, is out to make a certain profit. If they can't keep their items profitable, why would they bother to stay in business at all?

    I personally think they never should have said that the castle would be 3 floors. If they left it at 2 plus a ledge on top like previous castles, they could have kept it the same height it is now, there would be plenty of headroom, and no one would be complaining about the lack of a 3rd floor because no one would have had a reason to expect one.
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

    DC, Marvel, MOTU, and TMNT for sale:
    DC Marvel MOTUC & TMNT For Sale

    My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

  22. #3047
    Heroic Warrior guardianmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by IrrepressibleDH View Post
    Baena - Respectfully, I resent you refering to anyone who doesn't like the castle as a an armchair quarterback.

    Bottom line is, it is not what was promised. Whether you love it or not does not change the fact that Mattel's greed has spoilt this playset. You say no actual facts have come to light, but ignore the countless times Mattel has shortchanged fans in the past, and certainly will again. It is another clear open and shut case of incompetance and deceit.

    For the life of me, I cannot believe how some of the decision makers at Mattel still have their jobs. The damage they do to the brand is beyond repair. I will never sub because of them, and am 95% sure I will cancel my CG preorder.
    Thank you. It's not beating a dead horse to speak out about disappointment, particularly when it's not the same people.

    We were lied to. It's that simple. The Castle is smaller than it was promised. For that, I'm ****** off. I'm mostly a lurker on this board, only joining after I got a sub. I've had multiple problems throughout (defective figures, lost shipments, over-charges) but have mostly kept my mouth shut.

    Nothing matters to those that have pre-ordered in good faith other than to have that faith respected. Again Mattel has pulled a bait-and-switch, regardless of how good it MIGHT look. Nobody has seen the final product, none of us has much leg to stand on when it comes to that. All we do know is that the damn Castle is significantly smaller than promised. End of story for me.

    I don't want to cancel because I don't want to miss out of the MOTUC Grayskull. Not because I love this version so much, not because it's impressed me, and not because some people may be satisfied with less that promised. But I've been lied to yet again when I put my faith in Matty's word. That's not something that we should just eat and be happy with it.

    As an aside, the only places I've seen official word on the size change has been on this board, culled from various sources. Mattel couldn't even be bothered to email me. I still haven't gotten the code to vote for who will be on the box (as if I give a Flying Fist).
    Last edited by guardianmonkey; February 20, 2013 at 02:57pm.

  23. #3048
    Heroic Warrior Stratos*Major's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    MS, Gulf Coast
    Posts
    2,289
    Wouldnt respect involve allowing others to have their own opinions...regardless of how much they repeate it??

    While there may not be a "like button" there is an "ignore button".

    Opinions are opinions in the end and some people like to repeate them...so what...some people have an opinion that they shouldn't...who cares!??

    Lord...

    I still can't make up my mind on this one and waiting until SDCC is going to be torture!!!

    In all honesty...IMO, I really do not think Mattel is going to change anything other than deco & paint apps. As said, we will see another size reduction.

    For me, the sculpt IS great and I think the 4H have done a fantastic job, and I think MOST people do agree on this point.

    While not everything in life is better bigger...CG is one thing where bigger really would have been better.

    I, for one, wanted this giant castle to be a center piece in the living room (crazy maybe). Now it's like it's just a big piece of the toy collection.

    Also, I think it IS more disappointing for fans who have had issues with the QC & CS. I think, understandably so, that it is a bigger deal for them as it is "just one more thing" to add to the list.

    For those who have never had an issue with the line...lucky-ducky...but that shouldn't give anyone room to try diminish anyone elses experiences or opinions.

    In my experiences, a strong community is not built by everyone having the same ideas & opinions, rather the opposite. A strong community is built by agreeing to disagree and not, no matter who repectfully, pointing out why someone else is wrong and you are right...

  24. #3049
    Quester JonWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    14,144
    Okay everyone. Back on track. Off of each other and back to talking about Grayskull. I understand passions run high—particularly on this topic—so we're being EXTREMELY lenient enforcing the rules as outlined. But I've had to put a warning message in about every other thread lately. So general warning messages end with this nicely worded one.

    Thank you!
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

  25. #3050
    Heroic Warrior KUZEH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,362
    Putting things in perspective...

    IT'S MASSIVE!!!
    Seriously!!!

    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

    My Feedback thread!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •