Page 144 of 186 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145146154 ... LastLast
Results 3,576 to 3,600 of 4645

Thread: MOTUC Castle Grayskull Discussion Thread

For me, it's not a question of "Does the Grayskull still look cool?". The question now is, does it still look $250 cool? To me, it does not. It's scaled down, many of the strongly hinted at functionality has been removed, the add-ins are being scaled back and the interior seems to be losing a whole lot of detail. From what I recall, we were initially told that it was more of a $200 item, but they went with $250 so they wouldn't have to scale back on the features. Yet here we are. I think they will still make a nice looking pretty big castle, but it seems to be steering away from the epic be-all-end-all CG we were all looking forward to.

Do I still think it looks cool? Yes. $250 cool, not anymore. Honestly, at this point I'm leaning towards cancelling my pre-order and going with the Icon Heroes statue. In my opinion, at this point the Matty version is losing the scale advantage, and the interior is losing it's luster as well. The Icon Heroes statue looks awesome, I know what I'm getting, and is likely to have a Snake Mountain counterpart.
    Last edited by BrettX209; March 4, 2013 at 03:52pm.

Heroic Warrior
    I for one am hoping for a Snake Mountain, and hope that the current issues won't discourage them from making one.

Besides, who's to say when this line ends, they won't do a more affordable 4 inch line. No one with the Castle would be complaining about the scale then.
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

DC, Marvel, MOTU, and TMNT for sale:
    DC Marvel MOTUC & TMNT For Sale

My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

I think whether or not we see a new Snake Mountain depends entirely on how Castle Grayskull goes. I expect it will be the same scale, but hopefully with the spacing a little better though out. They have to learn from this experience.

I predict it will cost $300.
    Last edited by No-Ah; March 4, 2013 at 03:55pm.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Is there a lot of negativity here? Depends, I guess, on how you define that term. THere are a lot of folks displeased with the castle as a whole, and more displeased with the possibility that assurances we were given by Mattel about the accessories may be ignored. THere's a lot of good reasons for people to be less than joyous, and this playset does not exist in a vacuum. It exists in the same line and from the same folks we've had so much trouble with since the line started. For some, the negative feelings toward Mattel started with the last MOTU line, and things are just festering further.

But the bottomline is this: the only way to change things with Mattel is to spout off loudly. That's the reason we don't have a blastic Rammy. That's the only reason Snake Duncan wasn't simply a cheap repaint of the original with a new head. When the clamor is loud enough that Mattel starts worrying about how it might affect the subs, that is the only time there seems to be a chance at any action being taken (and often even that isn't enough. After all, this is your Hiss).

Good and bad will are both earned, and Mattel and DR have done plenty to earn a lot of bad will. Don't excoriate paying customers for piping up when they don't feel they are getting their money's worth and make those feeling known.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Warrior
    Well, it's way past the 12:00 PM EST deadline for the Castle Grayskull Second Preorder and guess what....it's still open. I believe that the Second Preorder didn't do so well what with the higher price point and no poster. I am not surprised. I know I didn't get in on the Second Preorder. I'm just gonna hope someone with a First Preorder sells me their Castle Grayskull with the poster at the lower $250.00 price point. I know it's not practical but I'd rather do it this way.

I'm just gonna talk with my wallet.

Edit: BTW, I totally agree with Scott Metzger's above post. Just shout out your complaints, use a megaphone if you have to and hit them where it hurts ....in the wallet.
    Last edited by Kollec-Tor; March 4, 2013 at 05:02pm.

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    IBut the bottomline is this: the only way to change things with Mattel is to spout off loudly. That's the reason we don't have a blastic Rammy. That's the only reason Snake Duncan wasn't simply a cheap repaint of the original with a new head. When the clamor is loud enough that Mattel starts worrying about how it might affect the subs, that is the only time there seems to be a chance at any action being taken (and often even that isn't enough. After all, this is your Hiss).
    Well said !!!
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Kollec-Tor View Post
    Well, it's way past the 12:00 PM EST deadline for the Castle Grayskull Second Preorder and guess what....it's still open. I believe that the Second Preorder didn't do so well what with the higher price point and no poster. I am not surprised. I know I didn't get in on the Second Preorder. I'm just gonna hope someone with a First Preorder sells me their Castle Grayskull with the poster at the lower $250.00 price point. I know it's not practical but I'd rather do it this way.

Screw Toyguru and his ******** tactics. I'm just gonna talk with my wallet.

Edit: BTW, I totally agree with Scott Metzger's above post. Just shout out your complaints, use a megaphone if you have to and hit them where it hurts ....in the wallet.
    ...or they're just slow to end the preorder. Its happened before.

Not sure why someone would buy and keep a preorder just to sell it at cost. Plus, at mimimum expect to pay for high shipping fees 2 times.
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

Everyone is talking about "Supporting The Line"
    Perhaps you should compose an insult free rational letter to Mattel and express your concerns coherently
    Complaining on here falls on def ears
    Maybe then Mattel would give Matty the respect it deserves
    All of this is bad P.R. that I'm sure no company would want to endure
    Saturday Morning ToyZ at Facebook, Flickr and Blogspot!

Honestly, like all companies, Matty will ultimately only listen to those who vote with their wallets. If people start dropping CG pre-orders en masse, THEN would be the time that they may actually listen to the (what I feel are legitimate) complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by BrettX209 View Post
    Honestly, like all companies, Matty will ultimately only listen to those who vote with their wallets. If people start dropping CG pre-orders en masse, THEN would be the time that they may actually listen to the (what I feel are legitimate) complaints.
    No, Then we just wont get anything

Like when we were scolded that Wind Raider didn't sell out fast enough and now when we ask about Battle Ram were told about Wind Raiders "poor sales"
    And so Matty can justify poor CG sales bc lack of interest/price point instead of the more substantial ......"size issues"
    And not produce more big ticket items
    Saturday Morning ToyZ at Facebook, Flickr and Blogspot!

Quote Originally Posted by Super He-Man View Post
    I for one am hoping for a Snake Mountain, and hope that the current issues won't discourage them from making one.

Besides, who's to say when this line ends, they won't do a more affordable 4 inch line. No one with the Castle would be complaining about the scale then.
    I agree, I hope that they will "ACTUALLY" make a MYP/Filmation Snake Mountain for Classics.
    If they arep lanning a 2014 and 2015 line, an they make it. I say they should make a MYP/Filmation Snake Mountain, and a Fright Zone/Slimepit playset.
    ...yes I know their was a crystal castle... but... with them saying pop dosent sell. I just dont see them ever making that at all.

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    I have a feeling that Castle Grayskull will really wow in person, like most of the figures in this line. Like everyone else, I wish it could be even bigger, but I think we'll be satisfied. Really looking forward to having it

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
    But in few years if and when Snake Mountain is released the price of plastic might be so high that if the CG is done according to the B-sheet and Snake Mountain has to match that scale too, then future playsets might get so expensive that nobody will be able to afford to buy them.
    Plastic itself is cheap—incredibly cheap, actually (in the range of $0.5-$1 per pound). Castle Grayskull is physically just a thin plastic shell that will be made from about as much raw material as that needed to produce a pair of plastic buckets, which you can buy for next-to-nothing at any dollar-store.

What's not so cheap is:

- the molds (incredibly expensive, especially for highly-detailed product and if made of steel, easily in the $50,000-100,000 range per mold, although given Mattel's corner-cutting practices and the lower runs of MotUC product, I'd bet they aren't using durable high-quality steel molds, but much cheaper aluminum ones, maybe in the $5,000-10,000 range per mold)

- the paint applications, product assembly and packaging costs (which in the case of MotUC is a non-automated, "handicraft" work, according to what Mattel tells us to justify both the price of the figures and the myriad QC problems with botched paint jobs and misassembled figures)

- the overhead cost of setting up the factory and its workers to produce a run of the product (which is why factories impose a minimum production number to get their machines up and running, which some people state is in the order of 20,000 units; so if you need fewer than that and order just 5,000 or 10,000 units, you'll still be made to pay as if you had ordered the minimum 20,000 units, thereby significantly increasing the cost per unit).
    Last edited by uaxuctum; March 4, 2013 at 10:10pm.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Guys, please turn it down a few notches and be more respectful of each other. Also, remember it is a against the rules to complain about complaining. thanks.

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
    I have not seen this posted yet: If Mattel has distant plans to do any MOTUC playsets in the future - like Snake Mountain - these playsets will probably have to be in scale with Castle Grayskull. Whatever the scale of Castle Grayskull ends up to be. But in few years if and when Snake Mountain is released the price of plastic might be so high that if the CG is done according to the B-sheet and Snake Mountain has to match that scale too, then future playsets might get so expensive that nobody will be able to afford to buy them. Unless you want big CG and Snake Mountain that is done in different (smaller) scale than CG, right? With smaller CG now, SM will be equally smaller and thus taking future price rise into account, making it (hopefully) affordable.
    So are you really sure you want the CG to be according to the original specs? Just asking.
    Why would the price of plastic go up? we dont invade foreign countries for plastic...its manmade!

Quote Originally Posted by He-loser View Post
    Why would the price of plastic go up? we dont invade foreign countries for plastic...its manmade!
    Plastic requires oil to be made. Oil prices go up.
    Easy as that.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Heroic Warrior
    The castle would be perfect, if the figures were 4-5 inch tall.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    One point I haven't seen being made much . . .

I think some people might be forgetting the fact that we (the customers) way oversold the minimum. "CRUSHED it" in Matty's own words.

So much so that Toyguru already claims that "furniture packs" can be considered a done deal for greenlighting because even at a reduced percentage (not everyone that got Grayskull would get a furniture pack) it would still be enough units to produce.

So my question is: What kind of even further reduced Grayskull would we be looking at if we had only barely made the minimum?

If CRUSHING it has taken us from being "the proud owner of the biggest, most iconic, most detailed, most accessorized piece of Masters of the Universe® real estate ever built!" to one where we'll now feel lucky to get ANY accessories, then what drop-off would we otherwise be looking at?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlaird View Post
    No, Then we just wont get anything

Like when we were scolded that Wind Raider didn't sell out fast enough and now when we ask about Battle Ram were told about Wind Raiders "poor sales"
    And so Matty can justify poor CG sales bc lack of interest/price point instead of the more substantial ......"size issues"
    And not produce more big ticket items
    Well said, TG on RGD just said, for RamMan they made sure to do a lot more than usual, were as Nettossa got a little less, because Thay know RamMan is going to sell more,....
    Well the same should apply to the battle ram, that thing is the 'RamMan' ( figuratively as well as customer popularity ) of the vehicles, more people would want it than the wind raider shurely.

See, I would have thought the Wind Raider was the Ram Man of vehicles. I find it much more iconic and definitive than the Battle Ram as a whole. Now, if you were just talking about the sky sled that's a different story. I brought it up before, but I still wonder if that stand isn't really for the Sky Sled versus the Wind Raider. I know it's probably just wishful thinking... but I'd buy several Sky Sleds.

Heroic Warrior
    Yeah, if we can only get one vehicle, I'm glad it was the Windraider.

When did Toyguru say furniture packs were a "done deal"? Usually nothing is a done deal until they're officially announced.
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

The impression I received from RGD 114 was that the grate was note sculpted in vain and that if they did do the packs they would be a lock.

Honestly,if 2014 does go through,I expect to see grayskull expansion paks as early as the first quarter in 2014. Maybe even showing them at sdcc. They will know what is and is not coming with the castle by then. Showing expansion paks will soften the blow for what is missing.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

Snappy Threader
    Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    The impression I received from RGD 114 was that the grate was note sculpted in vain and that if they did do the packs they would be a lock.

Honestly,if 2014 does go through,I expect to see grayskull expansion paks as early as the first quarter in 2014. Maybe even showing them at sdcc. They will know what is and is not coming with the castle by then. Showing expansion paks will soften the blow for what is missing.
    Agreed. Some showing would help to ease some concerns. I mean it would still mean us paying more dollars, but it would help in the way similar to the Rattlor armor being pulled then announced for a Weapons Pack.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlaird View Post
    Everyone is talking about "Supporting The Line"
    Perhaps you should compose an insult free rational letter to Mattel and express your concerns coherently
    Complaining on here falls on def ears
    Maybe then Mattel would give Matty the respect it deserves
    All of this is bad P.R. that I'm sure no company would want to endure
    But the point is, posting here and elsewhere HAS been heard. THey do look here and at Matty, and the shouts here are, on occasion, actually heard and acted on. Blastic was the most recent example.

Posting on the net isn't always tilting at windmills; a letter or e-mail to Mattel can be tossed in the trash very easily. A post on a public forum sometimes has a little more impact in a case like this because everyone can see it, and whether or not something is done about it.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    See, I would have thought the Wind Raider was the Ram Man of vehicles. I find it much more iconic and definitive than the Battle Ram as a whole. Now, if you were just talking about the sky sled that's a different story. I brought it up before, but I still wonder if that stand isn't really for the Sky Sled versus the Wind Raider. I know it's probably just wishful thinking... but I'd buy several Sky Sleds.
    Mmmm. To be fair, that's probably a pretty split opinion.
    Because I personally think the Battle Ram is more iconic than the Wind Raider. But I've got to step back and look at the facts.

Both were produced at the same time (more or less, I think the Battle Ram was actually first.)
    Both were more or less equally used in the minicomic stories. (Battle Ram may actually have a lead there)
    Both were equally used in the Filmation toon.

So it might just boil down to who had what as a kid.
    I didn't have the Wind Raider, but had the Battle Ram.

And I'm right there with ya on thinking that "Wind Raider platform" might also be used with a Sky Sled.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog