Page 161 of 186 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163171 ... LastLast
Results 4,001 to 4,025 of 4645

Thread: MOTUC Castle Grayskull Discussion Thread

  1. #4001
    All Era-Warrior Barnster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Snake Mountain, Apartment 4-D
    Posts
    1,316
    Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    the Bio writer sucked the Mystery out of the Fortress of Mystery and Power...
    It is pretty much just a summary of all Bios and Mini-Comics we've gotten so far.
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

  2. #4002
    The Man Called 'V' Shecky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    2,068
    Love the pic underneath the bio showing a grown man looking giddy .

  3. #4003
    Merchandise Collector jmb410s's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    3,990
    image.jpg image.jpgimage.jpghere is a picture of the back. All I have to say is for all those that cancelled preorders who did not see in person, you will be sorry!
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

  4. #4004
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,336
    Quote Originally Posted by jmb410s View Post
    image.jpg image.jpgimage.jpghere is a picture of the back. All I have to say is for all those that cancelled preorders who did not see in person, you will be sorry!
    I don't feel anything yet...

  5. #4005
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    USA NOLA
    Posts
    940
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    Attachment 88100

    .....................
    Wait you have one already, or are you at a show?

  6. #4006
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,336
    No, I got this pic from a german fansite, this is not me...

  7. #4007
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    570
    and here i was thinking i knew what you looked like. i thought i was on to you..

  8. #4008
    THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Barcelona, Spain
    Posts
    853
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    For me it will always be the mysterious Castle built long ago by Eternian scientists, referenced in the minicomics. In My Canon™it predates KG, and is at the exact center of the universe!
    The universe has no center, it's a nonsensical concept. The Big Bang wasn't an "explosion" where matter was radially "blasted out" from a central point into an already existing giant spatial void; it was a very rapid expansion of space itself. Plus, there is no way to identify a certain point in space (such as a supposed center of the universe) in absolute terms, but only with respect to something else (i.e., there would be no way to identify an absolute center of the universe even if it existed). Plus, if Eternia stood still at a supposed center of the universe, that would mean its sun would need to be in orbit around the planet rather than viceversa. So it's a nonsensical concept on several levels.

    But well, as you say, it's Your Canon™, and a center of the universe isn't the most nonsensical concept out there after all (Discworld has a flat earth on giant turtles floating about nowhere). Plus, the Filmation canon is guilty of more serious nonsense offenses. However, I prefer My Canon™ to be grounded on hard science fiction (so no center of the universe, nor hollow planets, nor someone going half-naked into outer space to move a whole moon out of its orbit), sprinkled with just a touch of high fantasy (basically the existence of "magic").

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by jmb410s View Post
    image.jpg image.jpgimage.jpghere is a picture of the back. All I have to say is for all those that cancelled preorders who did not see in person, you will be sorry!
    So the back is an (almost) exact copy of the vintage back, even down to reproducing the vintage cross-sell art (instead of "updating" it with the MotUC versions as in every other MotUC cardback)? The pictures aren't very clear, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd find it aggravating that they included the vintage cross-sells for Battle Ram, Attak Trak and Talon Fighter with Point Dread (as in the vintage box), when we know we aren't getting those in MotUC because Mattel doesn't want to do any more vehicles. In fact, it seems to me they used the vintage cross-sells precisely because there aren't MotUC versions of those vehicles and so there isn't any MotUC cross-sell art for them (and thus, the only way they could reproduce the look of the vintage box cross-sell was by literally reproducing it).

    CORRECTION: After seeing better pictures of the box art, I see they didn't include Battle Ram, Attak Trak and Talon Fighter, but instead used Gygor and Sky High with the Sled.
    Last edited by uaxuctum; September 16, 2013 at 06:25am. Reason: dumbed down by popular request
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

  9. #4009
    Heroic Horde General Canada-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    2,427
    I'm sooooooo excited for everything in motuc....this is such a great time in motuc's lifespan!!!

  10. #4010
    Heroic Warrior Jeevesosiris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Chesterfield, UK
    Posts
    1,601
    The box looks amazing. I think the bio is well worded and is as I expected. Really cannot wait to see somebody review one.
    The Lurkiest

    **Scott please make me a Staghorn**

  11. #4011
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    178
    as far as I know, the BIG BANG wasn't or was; it is a theory.

    Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    The universe has no center, it's a nonsensical concept. The Big Bang wasn't an "explosion" where matter was radially "blasted out" from a central point into an already existing giant spatial void; it was a very rapid expansion of space itself, with every point seemingly "moving away" from every other point (like dots on a balloon when you blow it up), and none of the probable universe geometries has a natural center (just like the surface of a balloon, or the surface of the Earth for that matter, has no natural center). Plus, there is no way to identify a certain point in space (such as a supposed center of the universe) in absolute terms, but only with respect to something else, and everything seems to be moving with respect to everything else (among other things, because space itself is constantly expanding, and also because of inertia)—so the most one can do is to set an arbitrary inertial frame of reference (i.e., there would be no way to identify an absolute center of the universe even if it existed). Plus, if Eternia stood still at a supposed center of the universe, that would mean its sun would need to be in orbit around the planet rather than viceversa. So it's a nonsensical concept on several levels.

    But well, as you say, it's Your Canon™, and a center of the universe isn't the most nonsensical concept out there after all (Discworld has a flat earth on giant turtles floating about nowhere, and what these turtles eat and breathe is anyone's guess). Plus, the Filmation canon is guilty of more serious nonsense offenses. However, I prefer My Canon™ to be grounded on hard science fiction (so no center of the universe, nor hollow planets, nor someone going half-naked into outer space to move a whole moon out of its orbit), sprinkled with just a touch of high fantasy (basically the existence of "magic", which in my view would be a mental ability to influence matter, as if by becoming the "outside observer" that determines the collapse of quantum uncertanties).

    - - - Updated - - -


    So the back is an (almost) exact copy of the vintage back, even down to reproducing the vintage cross-sell art (instead of "updating" it with the MotUC versions as in every other MotUC cardback)? The pictures aren't very clear, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd find it aggravating that they included the vintage cross-sells for Battle Ram, Attak Trak and Talon Fighter with Point Dread (as in the vintage box), when we know we aren't getting those in MotUC because Mattel doesn't want to do any more vehicles. In fact, it seems to me they used the vintage cross-sells precisely because there aren't MotUC versions of those vehicles and so there isn't any MotUC cross-sell art for them (and thus, the only way they could reproduce the look of the vintage box cross-sell was by literally reproducing it).

  12. #4012
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    178
    dude I cant see good enough on the pics; but its looking good....

    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    I don't feel anything yet...
    - - - Updated - - -

    I meant to reply to your pics:
    Dude, it's hard to see on your pics but it's looking good.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmb410s View Post
    image.jpg image.jpgimage.jpghere is a picture of the back. All I have to say is for all those that cancelled preorders who did not see in person, you will be sorry!

  13. #4013
    USF Bull chuc98's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    6,686
    Not really a fan of the bio…but oh well…still can't wait to get my hands on the castle! The box looks fantastic!

    As for the castle's origin…I still prefer the old one that it's a fallen giant and the castle was built around it. Totally explains the skull…and spine…AND it still keeps the castle mysterious. Who was this giant? Why did he die? Why was his corpse chosen to house the ultimate power in the universe? THAT is the fortress of mystery and power!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

  14. #4014
    Heroic Warrior Jinxieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Longview, WA
    Posts
    725
    Quote Originally Posted by jmb410s View Post
    image.jpg image.jpgimage.jpghere is a picture of the back. All I have to say is for all those that cancelled preorders who did not see in person, you will be sorry!
    Yeah, but they will NEVER admit it!

  15. #4015
    THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Barcelona, Spain
    Posts
    853
    Quote Originally Posted by poderuniverso View Post
    as far as I know, the BIG BANG wasn't or was; it is a theory.
    Everything we know in physics is a theory, unless proven invalid (in which case it becomes an invalid theory). There aren't scientific truths, just scientific theories. So far, every experimental data we have points to the validity of the Big Bang theory, and it's the theory most consistent with those data.

    Anyway, my point was that the idea of Eternia being located at the Center of the Universe was obviously based on a common misconception of what the Big Bang was (the popular notion that it was an "explosion" in the same way as an everyday explosion, and a naīve conception of spacetime as a big sphere of space with a center in it where the "explosion" took place, when in reality it was something quite different).

    Yes, I know the MotUverse is a world of fantasy. But that doesn't make the notion of a center of the universe sound any more palatable. Just imagine if they had said that Eternia is flat.
    Last edited by uaxuctum; September 16, 2013 at 06:13am. Reason: dumbed down by popular request
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

  16. #4016
    N7 Horde Operative hadley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    7,448
    Ill take "missing the point" for $500, Alex.

    I think it's neat that the skull grew from a stone. It's less morbid (and less smelly) than it being an actual dead thing's skull.

  17. #4017
    Fighting Foe Fan Whiplash7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,883
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    Ah, that's a brilliant idea for Standor! My story is similar to yours, in that the Castle is so ancient that no one alive knows where it came from, but I do attribute it to the ancient technological civilization that predates everything. I'm sorta pulling some ideas around on who could have been around for those times, and Standor fits perfectly! Otherwise, I'm kinda using Ditztroyer and Zodac as the only others who were around at that time.
    Thanks, glad you like the idea! It's really his armor that sort of evoked that idea in me.

    Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    The universe has no center, it's a nonsensical concept.
    ...welcome to Masters of the Universe! The center of the universe is already Eternia, I just moved it specifically to Grayskull's location.

    Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    The Big Bang wasn't an "explosion" where matter was radially "blasted out" from a central point etc etc
    I do not require a science lesson. While I like realism in my fantasy, the fact is this is a silly world we all retreat into, and it's just a bit of fun. Relax, guy.

    Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    (i.e., there would be no way to identify an absolute center of the universe even if it existed).
    Standor can do it!

    Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    Plus, if Eternia stood still at a supposed center of the universe, that would mean its sun would need to be in orbit around the planet rather than viceversa.
    No, it still revolves around the sun. It's just that everything in the universe also revolves around it (specifically, Castle Grayskull) in an awesome way that only the mighty Standor can explain.

  18. #4018
    THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Barcelona, Spain
    Posts
    853
    Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    I think it's neat that the skull grew from a stone. It's less morbid (and less smelly) than it being an actual dead thing's skull.
    Old skeletons aren't smelly (unless stained with smelly dirt), because the decaying matter that produces smell has already rotten away. Microbes, unlike dogs, don't seem to very much like gnawing at bones.

    Plus, those who built Grayskull from the skeleton of a fallen giant creature, might have used some kind of petrification process (maybe even a magical one), so that the bone remains were turned into actual stone.

    Plus, I don't think there is anything particularly morbid about a skull—that totally looks like a skull, and is referred to as "Grayskull"—actually being a real skull. It only seems perfectly logical. But given how Mattel thinks that a MotUC heads pack would be "morbid", I can see why they may have wanted to avoid the concept (even though they have no qualms whatsoever about killing off main characters left and right, so long as there is some scantily clad hot babe to visually spice up the violent scene).
    Last edited by uaxuctum; September 16, 2013 at 06:29am. Reason: dumbed down by popular request
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

  19. #4019
    Heroic Warrior bribri4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fairview Heights, IL
    Posts
    2,145
    Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    Old skeletons aren't smelly (unless stained with smelly dirt), because all putrescible organic matter previously surrounding them and capable of feeding the bacteria that produce repulsive odorous substances (such as putrescine and cadaverine) has long been consumed and all that remains is the "clean", imputrescible mineralized bone tissue, which is resistant to degradation and will take long to dissolve into the environment. Rotting microbes, unlike dogs, don't seem to very much like gnawing at bones.

    Plus, those who built Grayskull under and around the skeleton of a fallen giant creature, might have used some kind of petrification process (maybe even a magical one), so that the osseous remains were turned into actual stone.

    Plus, I don't think there is anything particularly morbid about a skull—that totally looks like a skull, and is referred to as "Grayskull"—actually being a real skull. It only seems perfectly logical. But given how Mattel thinks that a MotUC heads pack would be "morbid", I can see why they may have wanted to avoid the concept (even though they have no qualms whatsoever about killing off main characters left and right, so long as there is some scantily clad hot babe to visually spice up the violent scene).
    Do you have to make everything into lessons in taxonomy, physics, chemistry, and advance zoology. Some of just enjoy Masters for what it is an escape and a childhood favorite. I really don't se the point of pointing out the fact that Batros and Dactys are both Chiropterans. Yeah I studied some mammalogy and taxonomy in college too.
    Most Wanted Crita, Veena, EvilSeed, Prahvus, Sagitar, Calix, Tuskador, Vultak, Dylamug, Masque, Sebrian, Dree Elle, Uncle Montork, King Miro, Granita, Hawke, Hunga, Kittrina, Quakke, Butthead, Hoove, Darius, Spinwit, Nocturna, Kayo, Lizzor, Artilla, Vizar, Staghorn, Lodar, Twiggets, Drissi, Lady Slither, Bubblor, Three Beast, Fang-Or, Great Black Wizard, Major Header, and Ra-Jar.

  20. #4020
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,336
    The thing about the story is that giants build this castle of stone. So there's no magic within the building itself. That's the difference between this canon and for example the Filmation cartoon, where there were dimensional gates, living stone creatures like the gate keeper or the magical structure shown in the inside chamber.

    There is nothing mystical going on with the castle, it's just a building with the orb in it.

  21. #4021
    THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Barcelona, Spain
    Posts
    853
    Quote Originally Posted by bribri4u View Post
    Do you have to make everything into lessons in taxonomy, physics, chemistry, and advance zoology. Some of just enjoy Masters for what it is an escape and a childhood favorite. I really don't se the point of pointing out the fact that Batros and Dactys are both Chiropterans. Yeah I studied some mammalogy and taxonomy in college too.
    I wasn't replying to you. I was replying to someone who said if Grayskull were a real skull it would be smelly and morbid and I argued with reasons why that would not be the case. It had nothing to do with you. Are you bitter at me because I dared point out what was wrong with some of the polls you opened in the polls subforum?
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

  22. #4022
    Heroic Warrior bribri4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fairview Heights, IL
    Posts
    2,145
    Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    I wasn't replying to you. I was replying to someone who said if Grayskull were a real skull it would be smelly and morbid and I argued with reasons why that would not be the case. It had nothing to do with you. Are you bitter at me because I dared point out what was wrong with some of the polls you opened in the polls subforum?
    No just making a point in general. I really don't waste time being bitter. But in a thread discussing the Castle I would prefer the discussion stay on the Castle and such. Not to try to school every one in the thread on physics, mummification, anatomy, and physiology.
    Most Wanted Crita, Veena, EvilSeed, Prahvus, Sagitar, Calix, Tuskador, Vultak, Dylamug, Masque, Sebrian, Dree Elle, Uncle Montork, King Miro, Granita, Hawke, Hunga, Kittrina, Quakke, Butthead, Hoove, Darius, Spinwit, Nocturna, Kayo, Lizzor, Artilla, Vizar, Staghorn, Lodar, Twiggets, Drissi, Lady Slither, Bubblor, Three Beast, Fang-Or, Great Black Wizard, Major Header, and Ra-Jar.

  23. #4023
    THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Barcelona, Spain
    Posts
    853
    Quote Originally Posted by bribri4u View Post
    No just making a point in general. I really don't waste time being bitter. But in a thread discussing the Castle I would prefer the discussion stay on the Castle and such. Not to try to school every one in the thread on physics, mummification, anatomy, and physiology.
    Maybe you didn't realize (even though I quoted the comments I was replying to) that I was commenting on specific points others raised about the Castle (it being "at the center of the universe" and it being a "smelly, morbid" skeleton). I'm not trying to "school" anyone, I just like to argue my points with some reasoning rather than just stating I "like" or "don't like" something. If you don't like what I have to say, just use the Ignore button.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

  24. #4024
    All Era-Warrior Barnster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Snake Mountain, Apartment 4-D
    Posts
    1,316
    Quote Originally Posted by bribri4u View Post
    No just making a point in general. I really don't waste time being bitter. But in a thread discussing the Castle I would prefer the discussion stay on the Castle and such. Not to try to school every one in the thread on physics, mummification, anatomy, and physiology.
    I second that.

    PS: And yes, I like my castle standing in the center of the universe.
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

  25. #4025
    Heroic Warrior bribri4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fairview Heights, IL
    Posts
    2,145
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnster View Post
    I second that.

    PS: And yes, I like my castle standing in the center of the universe.
    Thanks! Me too.
    Most Wanted Crita, Veena, EvilSeed, Prahvus, Sagitar, Calix, Tuskador, Vultak, Dylamug, Masque, Sebrian, Dree Elle, Uncle Montork, King Miro, Granita, Hawke, Hunga, Kittrina, Quakke, Butthead, Hoove, Darius, Spinwit, Nocturna, Kayo, Lizzor, Artilla, Vizar, Staghorn, Lodar, Twiggets, Drissi, Lady Slither, Bubblor, Three Beast, Fang-Or, Great Black Wizard, Major Header, and Ra-Jar.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •