Page 26 of 186 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Castle Grayskull Discussion Thread

as far as the comment "el segundo" is concerned, is that some kind of mexican mattel outlet? because im still not sure how to classify it. but if it is a "retailer" that buys directly from mattel, which i am thinking it probably is, you need to take into account a couple things:

1) after inventory is purchased ONCE, it no longer is accounted for as a primary good. it does not show up on GDP or NGDP.

2) if it is a "mexican outlet" store, then it will not even factor into GDP or US sales revenue.

3) a secondary good can literally be sold for whatever the owner wishes to sell it for. thats why things like ebay and thrift shops dont ever get counted as GDP.

so if a toy is selling for 10 dollars in a foreign store, that really has nothing to do with mattel. they already made and recorded their sales revenue. very few products make very much net income for a company. thats the entire reason why they try to sell so many units. you have to think in terms of cost of production, probably 60-70% of intended revenue of the item. if mattel is making ten dollars off of every MOTUC figure sold, then their net income figures wouldnt make much sense. there are literally MILLIONS more transactions of barbie and hotwheels to represent the bulk of their sales.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I really want to do this poll, but I have no clue what to say.

Anyone have some options to present for the Grayskull itself?
    Help me craft this sucker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotward View Post
    How about 2 scale options - 1. relative to the original toy (ie- whatever percentage bigger the figs are than vintage, apply that to the castle) and 2. larger scale, to create scenes more like various cartoons/comics (probably not really to THAT scale, but larger previous CG toys)

3 playset options
    1. diorama backdrop type piece
    2. fairly faithful recreation of original toy, maybe more detail, but same level of bells and whistles.
    3. super-deluxe lights, sounds, type deal that some people have proposed in this thread.

that's six, then how much are you willing to pay?
    1. up to 100
    2. up to 200
    3. up to 300
    4. curse the expense, I want my castle!

That's about 24 options to pick from. Long list, I know! does that hit everything in broad strokes, or is there something missing?
    This is a tough question. So many fans have so many expectations ... myself included!

My 2 cents ...

Scale:
    I don't think we need options for scale - it seems clear from the feedback on this thread that a Castle Grayskull the same scale-to-figure as vintage would not command $200-$300. Let's suggest the scale is at minimum, He-Man able to ride Battle Cat through the Jawbridge while holding a weapon.

Playset options:
    1. Front facade/diorama
    2. Vintage toy update (2 walls, trap door, internal floors, throne, etc)
    3. Deluxe (option 2 plus lights/sounds/electronics)
    4. 4-wall castle with roof (including internal floors etc from option 2), elevation for 'abyss' and ramp (preferably FILMation )

And I'd be inclined just to nominate a price (i.e. $200 or $250 or $300) and ask folk to vote on that basis.

Sorry. Still complex.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Widget
    Hey Toyguru,

why not start a prepay fond. every one interested in a in scale castle grayskull can prepay for this item. when the necessary amount of byers is reaced all the credit cards get charged and you can start constructing the injection mold tools and the risk for mattel is at a minimum and the customer satisfaction can be met.
    as we kids of the 80s spend a lot of money to obtain loved toy from back then. i think 300 dollars could be affordable for many. And when we get to castle grayskull we we have to get to a tv show accuratesnake mountaim, which you owe us since the 200x line.
    ich think there should be nothing in the way that money can not solve.
    I could also imagine an empty castle which can be completed via diorama pieces. this would decrease the cost of the basic castle. imagine fans which spend 100s of dollars for and old tytus or so. when the fan base wants something then there should be enough options. do you remember letsbuyit com. we just have to concentrate on one incredible item, besides the figures.

Please don`t wait for a movie or tv show. we have money give us the option to spend it.

Too expensive...

I was hopping it would cost 150 to 170 EUR...

Maybe you guys should look at the actual production costs!

Too many people around here are wanting lots for next to nothing. Do you guys realize just how high the cost would be for that much plastic, with that large a mold, with multiple pieces, on a relatively small run??? With a price point of ANYTHING above $150, only a fraction of the fanbase would be ABLE to buy it. There is no way they could produce a castle the size we want without it being almost $300.
    How can there be that much complaining about the price of CG when even the average sculpted statue goes for over $200? If you want quality and size, you are going to pay for it. Today's economy and resource values are horrible and we just need to accept that.
    Darth Pardus

Classic Want list: Stinkor shield, Extendar, Snake Face, Snout Spout, Snake mountain bridge and net, Fright Fighter, Talon fighter radar dish, jetsled, tower tools, cliff climber, scuba attack, turbodactyl, bionatops, tyrantosaur, and Eternia

That is why the only way to do this is to make it in pieces...

For example:

Subscribers for 2012 sign up for the usual:

12 monthly figures
    4 A-List Variants
    4 Large-scale Beasts/2-packs
    Subscription Bonus Figure
    4 Grayskull Pieces

They could still sell vehicles, but if they include those in the subscription, then it might drive people away: Including both vehicles and Grayskull pieces would make the cost too high... and I venture a guess that vehicles would sell better than Grayskull pieces if not included in the sub.

SO...

4 Grayskull Pieces in the Subscription at $40-45 each (each piece would be a section of the castle and would include weapons, accessories, etc.)

That makes a total price of $120-180

THEN, sell all four pieces as one set in 2013 for $200-225...

Subscribers will have been given a break (a double incentive: less expensive Grayskull and earlier procurement). Foreign buyers can get it cheaper by buying the 2012 Subscription... now, not everyone wins in that way, because Foreign buyers aren't always willing to buy the subscription... but it's better than nothing.

Mattel can also pull its usual shenanigans, and sell the second, all inclusive Grayskull set with a bonus item (nothing amazing, but something that might get rich collectors to buy both sets... maybe a re-make of the 200X sword in pure silver or gold as an homage to the 200X castle).
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    That is why the only way to do this is to make it in pieces...

For example:

Subscribers for 2012 sign up for the usual:

12 monthly figures
    4 A-List Variants
    4 Large-scale Beasts/2-packs
    Subscription Bonus Figure
    4 Grayskull Pieces

They could still sell vehicles, but if they include those in the subscription, then it might drive people away: Including both vehicles and Grayskull pieces would make the cost too high... and I venture a guess that vehicles would sell better than Grayskull pieces if not included in the sub.

SO...

4 Grayskull Pieces in the Subscription at $40-45 each (each piece would be a section of the castle and would include weapons, accessories, etc.)

That makes a total price of $120-180

THEN, sell all four pieces as one set in 2013 for $200-225...

Subscribers will have been given a break (a double incentive: less expensive Grayskull and earlier procurement). Foreign buyers can get it cheaper by buying the 2012 Subscription... now, not everyone wins in that way, because Foreign buyers aren't always willing to buy the subscription... but it's better than nothing.

Mattel can also pull its usual shenanigans, and sell the second, all inclusive Grayskull set with a bonus item (nothing amazing, but something that might get rich collectors to buy both sets... maybe a re-make of the 200X sword in pure silver or gold as an homage to the 200X castle).
    Great Idea.

And leads me ever closer to a comparison I had been avoiding.

My mum used to collect Franklin Mint figures, and every single set used the 'Display Case' as a carrot to get people to subscribe to the whole collection.

Now I cant think of a Better way to get a sub than to offer Grayskull as the incentive,Sure we pay for it...but its one hell of a Carrot!

(also means that TG & Co actually know how many to make,thus eliminating high price items Peg warming at Matty!)

ka

Also personally Id Rather Grayskull over Vehicles!
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

i think having it done in pieces is also a cool idea. i mean, we dont need a lot of small pieces, we could always do one HUGE main set, and then have add ons come along.

If we did something like a "first floor" set that came with a front with the skull/door, and an immediate interior space. then all we need is sectional pieces that could be prices 40-60 dollars a piece, and having all 4-6 of them would be something HUGE, but you could still have a fun set with only one or two. just a thought

I most certainly would buy it. However, i would hope that it is revealed far enough in advance so I could save up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Portugal View Post
    Too expensive...

I was hopping it would cost 150 to 170 EUR...
    So in US dollars that'd be $204 - $232, correct?

Heroic Warrior
    Anything higher than 150 $ would go against common sense, at least for me. And I agree, it simply shouldn't cost as much as a PS3 and yes, the idea that it might have QC issues is frightful to say the least.

Imagine Toyguru saying this (JOKING):
    "Well there is no way around it. Castle Grayskull did get assembled with a reversed jawbridge. What can I say. These things happen. Maybe we'll be able to correct this mistake sometime down the road, but it won't be in the immediate future. Remember, that Snake Mountain is coming up in 2013, and there is a lot of tooling involved. I know this must be a tad frustrating for all those who paid 250$ for it, especially those with a sub... (/JOKING)

As much as I want a Castle as well that 200 to 300 would be REALLY tough to come with that. I would have to have time to save that kind of cash and i think alot of us would have the same problem.
    By the Power of Grey Skull!

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by MeddwynnRavencroft View Post
    I most certainly would buy it. However, i would hope that it is revealed far enough in advance so I could save up for it.
    This exactly. I make just enough that I could validate paying that much for it in my life right now, but I would need a couple of months to prepare.

Heroic Warrior
    If it's in good scale, with great paint and modeled mainly after the filmation version; yes.

i'd buy it as long as it was huge.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

No I would definitely NOT buy it for 200$-300$. I am much more into large vehicles like Spydor, FrightFighter and Monstroid than having playsets with all the equipment inside that I will not play with anyway. For me playsets are just for display so Castle Grayskull can be made of thin plastic like the vintage toy and completely hollow inside. If it looks good form outside it is OK for me. The only thing that should move is jawbridge. Of course the castle has to be in-scale with MOTUC. So the whole castle would be made of two or three thin plasic pieces. I would pay 50$ or less for this.

Was at Walmart yesterday and saw that Mattel made The Tower for Disney's Tangled dolls. Kept thinking they can make that and sell it for $50 at most. But to make Castle Grayskull it would cost $300! I wonder if Mattel is just trying to rip us off?
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    lol, yes...
    Let's hope they will reveal the month in which the castle will be released with plenty time in advance so we can save!

i'd rather they release cardboard pieces within the figure packs that we can put together for a cardboard dio.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvelous0ne View Post
    Was at Walmart yesterday and saw that Mattel made The Tower for Disney's Tangled dolls. Kept thinking they can make that and sell it for $50 at most. But to make Castle Grayskull it would cost $300! I wonder if Mattel is just trying to rip us off?
    A playset for a Disney movie is going to sell FAR more units than Castle Grayskull ever would. That's why that's only $50. The more you make, the less each individual one costs to make.
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

DC, Marvel, MOTU, and TMNT for sale:
    DC Marvel MOTUC & TMNT For Sale

My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

Heroic Warrior
    I would be happy with a Castle Grayskull, but first they should deliver the figures without reversed arms or shoulders before producing such a big thing.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvelous0ne View Post
    You have literally no idea how business works. They would have to charge more because they would only make a fraction of them compared to the Barbie sets they put in stores to turn any sort of profit, and they don't exist to lose money.

And my answer is no, I wouldn't buy it. Don't need a playset, since I don't play with the toys.

200 to 300 hundred dollars + shipping of a huge (must be bigger than the vintage one and 200x because the figures sizes) $60-$80+ customs to peru mmmm 30% maybe 40% of the item + shipping (CIF)
    in the best escenary

200+60+78= 338

in my worst escenary

300+80+114=494

ok being a good guy cause i dont think the shipping could be than cheap for a large piece like this one

mmmmm
    i preffer to keep my custom castle grayskull and im so happy with it
    motucustoms4sale@hotmail.com
    visit my albums:
    awesome trades with: harold, krosfyah, bobtheodd, Agostinho, boggs32, sallah, beastor
    Visit my facebook page 2917 likes already!!!!! XD
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...259610?sk=info

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    If it wows, then I definitely would buy it! The Four Horesmen do such a good job with nearly everything, I'm sure it would be a masterpiece!