Page 42 of 186 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 4645

Thread: MOTUC Castle Grayskull Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    With zeal.
    Haha! Best possible answer. I do not question the pure awesomeness of such a thing, but I do question it's practicality. You'd basically need to devote the dining room table to it. Which actually doesn't sound so bad now that I think about it....

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    Haha! Best possible answer. I do not question the pure awesomeness of such a thing, but I do question it's practicality. You'd basically need to devote the dining room table to it. Which actually doesn't sound so bad now that I think about it....

Your priorities are now falling into place...
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Yeah, my only concern regarding the castle is where I would put the thing.

My display is not something that I want to move and if it won't fit on the dedicated basement shelving, I would probably just stick with the original.

Size, depth, is the most concerning part of this. Will it open? If so, I could probably fit it on my display.

I guess time will tell.

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    I'm a broken record here, but how the heck would you even display a to-scale-with-MOTUC castle? It would be at least 2 feet deep, given the dimensions of the Icon model!
    Well, of course, it all depends on how much room one has (or is willing to make) available for the display. Some people have a room full of MotU goodness, and for them a full Grayskull would be the crown jewel of their collection. Some other people have more limited space, such as only a wall. But even those with limited space could make use of a full castle: have the fašade piece on permanent display, and put together the full castle (on the dinner table ) into an amazing diorama for special occasions (in the manner of a Christmas tree), which would make it extra-special.

There's always been two main audiences for CG: the full-playset audience, and the fašade-only audience, for reasons of space and/or budgetary constraints. That's why Mattel should cater their products to both audiences, instead of trying to come up with some intermediate solution which is not going to fully please either (a $200 half-castle is too expensive for the fašade-only audience, and falls short of the expectations of the full-playset audience). Just like the Battle Ram (full vs. Sky Sled), they should offer both options (4-piece castle at full price, and 1-piece fašade at a reduced price), and just like the Battle Ram, the expectable larger amount of fašades/Sky Sleds sold would help the tooling of the full thing.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Quote Originally Posted by Cammor View Post
    Yeah, my only concern regarding the castle is where I would put the thing.

My display is not something that I want to move and if it won't fit on the dedicated basement shelving, I would probably just stick with the original.

Size, depth, is the most concerning part of this. Will it open? If so, I could probably fit it on my display.

I guess time will tell.
    I would imagine they will stay in the same "figure vs castle" scale as the vintage figures were with the vintage castle but stepped up into the MOTUC scale.
    So; if thats the case; I would imagine the MOTUC Grayskull would be about 2-4 inches taller an 2-4 inches wider per side.
    So if you would display it open it would be 4-8 inches wider so that u can place figures inside for a large display area like vintage Castle Grayskull could be.

I hope this will help a few people figure out where they can/will place there MOTUC Grayskull.
    Last edited by Replikor; September 24, 2012 at 06:25pm.

Snappy Threader
    Quote Originally Posted by Replikor View Post
    I would imagine they will stay in the same "figure vs castle" scale as the vintage figures were with the vintage castle but stepped up into the MOTUC scale.
    So; if thats the case; I would imagine the MOTUC Grayskull would be about 2-4 inches taller an 2-4 inches wider per side.
    So if you would display it open it would be 4-8 inches wider so that u can place figures inside for a large display area like vintage Castle Grayskull could be.

I hope this will help a few people figure out where they can/will place there MOTUC Grayskull.
    Agreed. I don't care where I will put it, looks like I have a year at least to figure that out. As soon as the pre-order goes up I am totally doing it.

Heroic Warrior

I've already hatched a scheme to display mine. I'm going to find a local consignment/thrift furniture store and try to snag one of those round hall tables - the kind that people put potted plants on (I suppose the rectangular kind would work, too, depending on Grayskull's dimensions). If I'm lucky, I might also be able to find a lazy susan, so I can display it open (assuming it does open up), and then spin it around to show off whatever side I feel like.

One thing that would be great would be if they were to do the payments on the castle in several installments. I'm sure a lot more fans would be able to stomach $200 over a 4 to 6 month period rather than all at once.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

I'll definitely be pre-ordering two, especially after turning to my significant other at the panel during the CG reveal and saying, "Best Christmas present ever."

Quote Originally Posted by Horde Lord View Post
    Or people would freak at the $300 price and you'd get 50% less orders?
    That's why I should do the preorders and set the price between 200-300 dollars. If they hit their objective then everyone pays 200 dollars. If not then the price goes up according.

Let's say mattel wants 200.000 dollars to make cg, that's 1000 preorders of 200 dollars.
    If they don't get enough raise the price till the quota is met.

Mattel needs to start the preorders with a quota on only the amount to make a profit.
    But not a quota on the people you need.

They could set a sale bar ( a correct and up to date one this time) and announce the price at 200 dollars a piece if the bar is full . If the bar isn't full the price can go up until 300 dollars.
    I have the real power!

My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/orkothewizard?feature=mhee

Check out this photoshop of a middle ground Castle Grayskull design by the super tallented Alessandra. It's silimar to the vintage CG box art over all. However, it has almost all the details from Mark Taylor's prototype design, eyes and cheeks similar to the vintage box art. It has a nose and big chunky teeth silimar to the Filmation design and some what akin to the vintage toy box art teeth and nose. Personally I think this kind of hybred design gives something to all fans of Castle Grayskull rather than just honoring one look. The design needs to appeal to the widest range of fans to support the pre-order. I know this won't be to everyones liking, but as a happy medium (just like the vintage box) I think it's great and contains a number of the iconic elements that fans have absoloutely loved about Castle Grayskull over the years.

Last edited by Angel-T; September 25, 2012 at 12:32pm.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Everyone knows this is the most iconic Castle Grayskull:

Followed ONLY by this:

Heroic Warrior
    A preorder system is the best thing, Mattel could do. I just can't understand why they didn't came earlier with this method?

I really don't see the problem with the 200$ price point? Granamyr alone is 80$, are some folks thinking, they get a castle for 100$? I expect to be charged, when the thing is ready in 1 YEAR, so what's the problem for saving the money? I expect, because of my location to pay 350$ final. If I really want it, I'm able to save money for that thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    Check out this photoshop of a middle ground Castle Grayskull design by the super tallented Alessandra. It's silimar to the vintage CG box art over all. However, has almost all the details of Mark Taylor's prototype design, eyes and cheeks similar to the vintage box art and has a nose andbBig chunky teeth silimar to Filmation. Personally I think this kind of Hybred design gives something to all fans of Castle Grayskull rather than just honoring one look. The design needs to appeal to the widest range of fans to support the pre-order. I know this won't be to everyones liking, but as a happy medium (just like the vintage box) I think it's great and contains a number of the iconic elements that fans have absoloutely loved about Castle Grayskull over the years.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...hotos/ale3.jpg
    This...is...breathtaking...

Kickin' It Old Skool! Alex The Kid's Avatar
    Hellllooo nurse! That is one sexy CG! Perfect IMO

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post

[ing]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_9_iMNcLAXpg/TJDoNvFQ2yI/AAAAAAAAAY8/vBY5y6xn53c/s1600/castle+grayskull.jpg[/img]

Followed ONLY by this:

i-see-what-you-did-there_o_520433.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post

[ing]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_9_iMNcLAXpg/TJDoNvFQ2yI/AAAAAAAAAY8/vBY5y6xn53c/s1600/castle+grayskull.jpg[/img]

Followed ONLY by this:

i-see-what-you-did-there_o_520433.jpg
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

I'm right there with ya. Now, here I go to explain to my wife how a Castle Grayskull makes a better center-piece than the basket of berries....
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

One thing I'd say - I wouldn't take things too literally when they say they are taking inspiration from the proto. There are certain elements they'd like to keep in, but it won't look EXACTLY the same. I'm sure there will be some hybridization.

In the end, though, it's going to be impossible to please everyone. There are so many options. For instance, in the photo manip above, I really don't like the eyes looking so cartoonishly evil. They should look like impassive sockets. I like Grayskull to not look like a cartoon ghoul, but more a realistic (organic, imperfect) skull around the eyes.

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    I am super excited about Castle Grayskull.
    A few thoughts and tidbits:

1. In terms of style, I think we ALL LOVE certain aspects of the Filmation as well as the Mark Taylor prototype. I'm confident that Toyguru and the 4 horsemen will sign off on a hybridization that encompasses the best out of both versions. It would be awesome to have something as in-your-face as the Filmation Castle, as opposed to the slightly flattened out Mattel one. The castle was meant to be a 'suitcase' in which kids could carry their figures, so it had to be pretty flat when folded. I would be in favor of ditching that aspect and have a really protuding face on the castle.

2. In terms of interiors, this is where the 4 horsemen could totally blow us away... Imagine a shadowy, ominous 'HALL OF SECRETS' passage where you can store the power sword (my FAVORITE element of the otherwise disappointing 200X castle) ... And a throne room for the Sorceress. It doesn't have to be HUGE, and if it's just a hollow plastic wall (molded in one piece), it would just make this thing insane! I know we can't expect too much for 200 bucks ,but I really hope they go crazy with it. Surprise us. Go the extra length to make this the definite Castle Grayskull. Sure, there is NO reuse possible for the sculpt, but if the castle blows EVERYONE AWAY, this might put MOTUC classics back into the spotlight... And also leave the door open for a Snake Mountain playset. If Castle Grayskull goes through and they get enough people to pre order, Snake Mountain for 2014 should be a no brainer.

3. I am really not worried about buying something I haven't seen beforehand. Why? When I look at the face of 'Castle Grayskullman', Scareglow's accessory and the amazing castle resin statue, I TOTALLY trust that the 4 horsemen will go crazy with it and deliver us the ULTIMATE Castle grayskull. Can't wait to see the blue print or concept sketch that will be shown at the NYTF. But again, I don't need that to sign up for the castle. Even if it wasn't shown, I would sign up. I remember talking to the 4 horsemen once at a Comic Con about Castle Grayskull and it sounded like this was a dream project for them to be able to do one for the Classics line. And Toyguru loves Castle Grayskull.

4. For those of you worried about storage / How much space this is going to take... Well, I would tend to say that, if playsets are not for you, whether Castle Grayskull is big or SUPER BIG won't probably make you change your mind. So let's go for SUPER BIG!!!!

If Mattel doesn't go too cheap on the paint apps and the wash, this upcoming Castle Grayskull might look like a museum piece. The windraider is a thing of beauty. Bring that level of quality to Castle Grayskull and even non-motuc fans might buy it for diorama purposes. There are not a lot of playsets that can accomodate 6 inches figures in today's shrunken toy market. A great looking Castle Grayskull would be the perfect background for Dr Doom's Latveria lair... Or any Conan / Heroic Fantasy figures. Just sayin'.

I remember how some of my friends that are not into MOTUC bought the Battle Cat toy. Why? Cause it was probably the best toy of that year. So frickin' awesome. I have high hopes that Castle Grayskull might be the ultimate playset ever. Am I setting myself up for disappointment? Maybe. But I have great faith in the 4 horsemen and Toyguru. This could be the best thing ever!

EDIT: One more thing. I was looking at that round 'sticker' cardboard base that goes around the Mark Taylor Prototype.
    I think it would be AWESOME if the 4 horsemen made that into an actual 3D, sculpted base that's actually high. (maybe 6 or 8 inches high) and that would make the Castle look even more fearsome and ominous. That would make the Jawbridge 6 or 8 inches higher than the ground and allow awesome posing with the figures hanging from it, legs kicking in the air etc. :-)
    Last edited by oulala; September 24, 2012 at 11:45pm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

Heroic Razor-Edged Weapon Sword-of-Grayskull's Avatar
    There's another problem about basing Grayskull around the original playset: the height. The original toy was about as tall as a two-story house for the vintage figures, not a full-blown castle. Now we're getting a Classics version that will have all the chincy action features of the vintage version, and to stay on budget it will probably be once again a two-story house in height. I would much rather the action features be skipped in favor of four huge sheets of plastic for walls that can be assembled to create a true castle. Let's worry about forming the interior through playsets and display pieces like we've been doing with the Weapons Rack. This is the only chance we'll ever have to get a tall, true castle for our figure displays.

Quote Originally Posted by FakeEyes22 View Post
    AND ONE MORE THING! A bonus special effects piece that can plug into the castle to look like streams of magic and lightning are hovering above the door? You know, so you can place He-Man there holding his sword up to the center? THAT would be pretty nice. That sort of effect attaching only to the sword itself would have to be pretty small so he wouldn't topple over.
    This! By the Power of Grayskull, a million times this!
    "I look upon my powers as a gift, not mine alone but for anyone who needs them." (Superman: Peace on Earth)

GO FORWARD. Please support the Christopher Reeve Foundation by purchasing a set of Superman tags at www.ChristopherReeve.org

If nine hundred He-Man.Org members get eaten by Thundercats fans, but neither of them has a toyline, does it still count as a fan movement?

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post
    We are going to have trouble getting the same amount to buy Grayskull as bought a sub. Many people bought multiple subs but I don't see many people buying multiple Grayskulls. First, the price...secondly, the space...thirdly, no need in your collection for more than one Castle.

- - - Updated - - -

It should considering Castle Grayskullman is coming with swords based on the ones on the flag It would really tie it all together.
    You can't really compare the pre-orders to the subscriptions. I'm sure you won't see as many multiple order buyers but it should balance out because a number of people who didn't subscribe will get Castle Grayskull. Let's make this happen! Cherry pickers unite!

Giving how low they're setting the price, my first instinct is to brace for sub standard materials and paint. If the sculpt was done by anyone besides the 4H, there'd be absolutely no way but that's how the line has always worked. If they can pull this off with a minimum of hitches, this will go along way toward healing some of the damage done recently and give us enough momentum to take us into the last full sub year. Presumeably.

Another impossible opportunity to miss out on though. Who doesn't want to see a true vintage styled 4H CG?
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    Well, 200 dollars is NOT cheap. I can't remember how much the wind raider cost to make. 200 dollars is A LOT MORE MONEY.
    Besides, if you think about it, a castle Grayskull doesn't involve that many different parts. The front facade will probably be 2 or 3 parts to mold, tops. I think what makes a toy expensive is not its size but how many different molds you have to create. An action figure has many different parts cast which makes them really expensive.

So if you 'flattened' a vintage castle grayskull, there would not be a lot of plastic. It's pretty light.
    The expensive part I think would be to recreate the interior. If 100 dollars are used for the outside facade, which doesn't seem like a big stretch, they have another 100 bucks to spend on interior rooms. A throne for the sorceress, an updated hall of secret with a secret passage, and maybe a jail, and voilÓ!

Quote Originally Posted by Inhibitor View Post
    Giving how low they're setting the price, my first instinct is to brace for sub standard materials and paint. If the sculpt was done by anyone besides the 4H, there'd be absolutely no way but that's how the line has always worked. If they can pull this off with a minimum of hitches, this will go along way toward healing some of the damage done recently and give us enough momentum to take us into the last full sub year. Presumeably.

Another impossible opportunity to miss out on though. Who doesn't want to see a true vintage styled 4H CG?
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

I wonder what the size comparison will be when next to Granymyr?

Quote Originally Posted by rankinman View Post
    I'm in either way, I just hope 4 walls and platforms. I also agree to throw in 30 extra for the flight suit inside the original.
    This is it right here. I'm in.

I want 4 walls. PLEASE can we finally get a Castle Grayskull playset that has 4 walls that can open up into a huge interior playset? Include a tall staircase that leads to the throne & a pedestal for those who have the bronze 2008 King Grayskull figure & yes, the flight suit would be awesome.

Maybe make Castle Grayskull with two walls so it can fold up like the original & ALSO include the Right & Back side of the castle that also folds up, then when it's open, we can connect them together for a full on open spread interior or close it up so there are 4 full length walls or close up the Front & Left side of the castle like the old toy & stow the Right & Back elsewhere. Gotta have a removable roof there too. (I hope I made sense trying to describe what I'm visualizing in my head. Maybe later I can make a diagram to illustrate my idea.)

Lose the Simpsons style overbite, base the skull design on a mix between original toy & Filmation & PLEASE give it 4 full walls.
    I want my other half.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    Check out this photoshop of a middle ground Castle Grayskull design by the super tallented Alessandra. It's silimar to the vintage CG box art over all. However, it has almost all the details from Mark Taylor's prototype design, eyes and cheeks similar to the vintage box art. It has a nose and big chunky teeth silimar to the Filmation design and some what akin to the vintage toy box art teeth and nose. Personally I think this kind of hybred design gives something to all fans of Castle Grayskull rather than just honoring one look. The design needs to appeal to the widest range of fans to support the pre-order. I know this won't be to everyones liking, but as a happy medium (just like the vintage box) I think it's great and contains a number of the iconic elements that fans have absoloutely loved about Castle Grayskull over the years.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...hotos/ale3.jpg
    That would be SO amazing!

I think that's why they are announcing before it's drawn and shown - my guess is the look may be tweaked based on feedback.

I hope.

If it looks like that pic shown, then I'll order one. If it looks more like Filmation or Vintage Box art, then I'll buy at least two.