Page 62 of 186 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 4645

Thread: MOTUC Castle Grayskull Discussion Thread

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    my point being the mini comics ONLY featured Adam and the transformation into He-man AFTER the Filmation cartoon was introduced. Not the other way round. He-man's origin was very different as you may know (Oolar, Green Goddess etc.) The filmation cartoon was so popular that the mini comics had to retcon the story to include the Filmation elements.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    It was in the comics, but I think the majority probably would have learned that line from the cartoons. The cartoons are the reason why that line is still well-known today, being used in films and television shows.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    my point being the mini comics ONLY featured Adam and the transformation into He-man AFTER the Filmation cartoon was introduced. Not the other way round. He-man's origin was very different as you may know (Oolar, Green Goddess etc.) The filmation cartoon was so popular that the mini comics had to retcon the story to include the Filmation elements.
    aaand BOO-YAH.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

The cartoons are the reason why that line is still well-known today, being used in films and television shows.
    Yes, but mainly to mock and ridicule ...
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Heroic Warrior Matthew L. Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Not necessarily the best example, since that's one of the minicomics adapted from a Filmation episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Yes, but mainly to mock and ridicule ...
    Well, no, not really.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    For anyone to state that they are 'rejected concepts' or 'unknown by normal people' is preposterous. It's why a lot of us are even here.
    The vintage toy is one of the single most iconic playsets--and toy, in general--that has ever been produced. Of course they want to recreate that, and make it even better. It makes sense to base it on the prototype, which is likely b/c it's just the vintage toy, but spruced up more. It's what people want. I understand that some people didn't care about the toys as much as the cartoon, but please don't try and downplay the awesomeness of the original Castle Grayskull.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    I posted pictures of the cross-sell castle--which you said no 'normal' person had ever seen--yet it was on most merchandise. Now you are claiming something completely different. But by all means, keep moving the goalposts in your neverending quest to bash on motu and its concepts.
    I'm done.
    It REALLY looks like you two are arguing in circles... I think a MAJOR part of it, is that your 'cross-sell' pictures... are NOT the 'prototype' pictures that were 'rejected concepts'.

I LOVE the original cross sell. It's based closely on the original toy and the box art which is PERFECT. Frankly based solely on the 'front facade' I see VERY little difference between those early pictures and the Awesome Filmation front.

The PROTOTYPE however... has the goofy minoret at the top... the ugly elongated snout.. the stupid ledge on the side... and it KINDA looks like a 'Castle Grayskull Candle' that was lit for too long. The PROTOTYPE is a Rejected concept... the same as Vykron, Vikor, and Demoman. Ideas on paper that never went any farther

It was shown on the back of the early mini comics and inside the first four books that I remember. After that it lost the minoret and started looking more like the cross sell/Toy versions that you are posting pictures of.

I was VERY annoyed that they wanted to take their inspiration from the Prototype. I think it looked horrible.

However... the reality is they took VERY LITTLE from it! It does NOT have the 'melted' look... it does NOT have the goofy jaw sticking out... The minoret is removable... I'm QUITE happy with final result. It looks like they skipped the prototype, and went Box art, which is what "I" was routing for! ^_^

Filmation castle is as iconic as it comes... but the Box art combines the best of ALL worlds!

- - - Updated - - -

There was SOMETHING... maybe the DC miniseries that ALSO had adam turning to He-man... but it was 'different'. he had to run to the 'cave of power' to activate his powers... By the Power of Grayskull definitiely originated with Filmation.

The filmation cartoon was so popular that the mini comics had to retcon the story to include the Filmation elements.
    Since they are both from 1983, I'm assuming that the stories were developed at the same time and that those elements aren't solely inspired by the popularity of the Filmation cartoon.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

That's fine, you take "I have the Power!"

We'll take Grayskull.
    There's no "Prince Adam" in my mythos anyways.

Although I'm on the minicomics side of things. I agree with my fine french friend Oulala, the toon coined that phrase, and the toon boosted the franchise popularity by leaps and bounds. No doubt about it. He-Man was successful before the toon, but Filmation kept it a success and more. Filmation's power can't be denied.

But I also agree with the points that have been brought up that those that remember the toon, are now adults, and tend to prefer the darker origins now. The people buying the toys now, are probably more into the toy aspect of the property than they are the filmation look of things.
    And in many general audience or general public views, the filmation toon is a bit too ridiculous and campy. Were we on Roast Gooble Dinner arguing this, Val would say I'm wrong, Eamon would agree with me.
    A lot of people that learn that I'm a big MotU fan immediately start teasing me about how silly that cartoon was. I often find myself agreeing that it was ridiculous and that I was and am more into the toys and the general story of the property.

Wait, I thought I was done... Sorry!
    Last edited by Baena; October 17, 2012 at 03:34pm.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew L. Martin View Post
    Not necessarily the best example, since that's one of the minicomics adapted from a Filmation episode.
    I wasn't necessarily arguing which one came first, I was arguing that you could have picked up that line from the mini-comics and not from the cartoon. I didn't even had a television before I was 4 or 5 years old, but I had the mini-comics and I had the audiotape in which the line was featured.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    It REALLY looks like you two are arguing in circles... I think a MAJOR part of it, is that your 'cross-sell' pictures... are NOT the 'prototype' pictures that were 'rejected concepts'.
    True, what Whiplash posted was the image from the licence guide, not the cross sell. I posted the ones from the cross sell, which is featered on the back of the toy boxes and the comics.

It's the same design, that's why I posted it.

Anyway, CG is coming, it's based on the old toy and prototype, the end.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I don't think many kids at the time looked at his or her figures, vehicles and playsets in disgust because they weren't Filmation looking enough. The vintage toyline and the Filmation cartoon served each other. Kids knew Castle Grayskull when they saw it, Filmation, Texiera or Alcala design. Non Filmation stuff appeared everywhere -- coloring books, activity books, Viewmasters, bedsheets, cups, glasses, etc. Kids happily played with the non-Filmation toyline, despite watching the cartoon.

There was a happy medium between the two.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

the filmation grayskull was based on the toy, they just tweaked it for their own uses, for the record that Grayskull looked different in the series depending on the shot, the 3/4 view and the forced perspective view don't ACTUALLY match. it's just an artistic choice. it's not like the difference between toon and toy snake mountain or fright zone! one look at the toon or they toy and there is no doubt to ANYONE who knows of He-Man that it's castle grayskull, even the 200X one there wouldn't be a doubt. the castle is iconic, it's not like the live action movie version where most people will be puzzled.

THIS. IS. GRAYSKUUUUUUUUULLLLLL!!

it's not 100% filmation, boxart, toy, prototype or anything else, but it's Grayskull iconic without any question.
    Last edited by krosfyah; October 17, 2012 at 04:06pm.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Replikor View Post
    I just received this email from Matty in reply to my email about the messed up "earlier" shipping costs on the MOTUC Castle Grayskull Preorder...
    There's someone named Precious working at Matty?
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

what about the international fans?
    we do have to pay the higher import fees anyway.
    thats still quite unfair.
    we need a new invoice.
    A new Motu line, again at last!

Court Magician
    Not sure if it's different in other countries, but I thought you only pay import duty on the value of the goods, not the shipping.

MOTUC Castle Grayskull Thermometer has been updated!!!

http://www.mattycollector.com/store/...ctID.258165100

yes, shipping is included, here. unfortunately.
    would be ok otherwise. ;-)

Lycan
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    There's someone named Precious working at Matty?
    I have heard back from 'Precious' maaaany time. heh

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan81 View Post
    what about the international fans?
    we do have to pay the higher import fees anyway.
    thats still quite unfair.
    we need a new invoice.
    I would imagine it will be the same for International fans. Of course, it probably means we will still be invoiced the higher price and be refunded the difference, which while good to get the extra money back, will still get higher import taxes from UPS who tax us on the entire total and not just the value of the item..

Ideally Matty should let us cancel those orders and put them through again.
    What next? It seems every month lately there is something..

Quote Originally Posted by Replikor View Post
    I assume the goal is the arrow? So anything above that is gravy?

I assume the goal is the arrow? So anything above that is gravy?
    I believe so. I have to assume that the "Minimum" Goal is the listed goal, I gues?!... its hard to tell. Matty isn't very thorough with labeling there thermometers... lol

Eternian Historian of Art Lex_Alfa's Avatar
    The problem of using Filmation's Grayskull is that it havily relies in the perspective. That's impossible to translate into a playset. I'm happy with the chosen design
    Behold the gaseous stench of Skeletor's breakfast burrito!
    Robot Chicken dixit

I think your all wrong... know whats best!!

WHATEVER GRAYSKULL WE GET!!!

... just like when we were kids, WE dont get to decide what the product looks like! WE only get to decide to pay for it or not!

Take it or leave it!

SUPPORT MOTUC CASTLE GRAYSKULL!!!
    Last edited by Replikor; October 17, 2012 at 05:01pm.

"Precious" makes me think of the dog in The Silence of the Lambs.

I asked them to cancel and renew my order. don`t know if they do it.

Go Go Castle Grayskull !

my point being the mini comics ONLY featured Adam and the transformation into He-man AFTER the Filmation cartoon was introduced. Not the other way round. He-man's origin was very different as you may know (Green Goddess etc.) The filmation cartoon was so popular that the mini comics had to retcon the story to include the Filmation elements.
    Though it's still interesting that DC Comics had Prince Adam from the start. DC Comics presents #47 from July 82, before anyone ever saw a single frame of the cartoon.
    To me that is a big thing.
    True though that I mostly hear fans remember mini-comics and Filmation when they think about the characters.