Page 81 of 183 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131181 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 4573

Thread: MOTUC Castle Grayskull Discussion Thread

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    You know, the more I think about it, the more I just do not want the castle. Sure, it would be awesome to own, but also all it is is a background prop to stand my figures in front of for pictures. That means I am paying $300 for a backdrop. I can do that by printing out a picture of the castle's front itself and putting my figures in front of it for maybe $30. I just cannot justify the cost of the castle for something that is essentially going to be wallpaper.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Make Prahvus please!! marndt8448's Avatar
    Then you're going to be displaying it wrong.

Anyone else concerned the thermometer hasn't moved in a while? I hope that doesn't mean we're reaching the limit for people who definitely want the castle.

Quote Originally Posted by marndt8448 View Post
    Then you're going to be displaying it wrong.

Anyone else concerned the thermometer hasn't moved in a while? I hope that doesn't mean we're reaching the limit for people who definitely want the castle.
    Yeah, I'm getting a little anxious.
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

Make Prahvus please!! marndt8448's Avatar
    I know it's silly to worry about the thermometer (i.e. it's accuracy), but I can't help myself.

I'm already sizing up the office so I can decide on the best place to put CG.

Uch I feel like a heel, I'd love a Castle Grayskull - but it's waaaaay out of my budget, I'm holding thumbs for the rest of you all though.
    A fabulous new wardrobe was revealed to me the day I held aloft my sword and said...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    You know, the more I think about it, the more I just do not want the castle. Sure, it would be awesome to own, but also all it is is a background prop to stand my figures in front of for pictures. That means I am paying $300 for a backdrop. I can do that by printing out a picture of the castle's front itself and putting my figures in front of it for maybe $30. I just cannot justify the cost of the castle for something that is essentially going to be wallpaper.
    If you don't play with your figures, or let your kids play with your figures... Then you're right. It's the most amazing backdrop anyone could own, not just for MotUC, but for 200X, for the vintage figures even. It's only the coolest backdrop that would not only work with MotU in general, but any spooky line of figures you might own, any of the Four Horsemen's figures, like Gothitropolis, or 7thK figures. Any NECA figures like the Castlevania figures. I could see all the Palisades Muppet monsters having a blast in Castle Grayskull!!!
    It's "just" the most amazing backdrop, environment, playset one could ever own of ever.

Now... If you do play with any of your figures? Well then it's a helluva lot more than just a backdrop! Working secret doors, elevator, loads of sculpted details, a jaw-bridge, castle towers, a dungeon, a trap door, weapons racks, it's taking what was the best playset ever and making it that much better, TOTALLY worth the $300 to get it!

Lemme re-cap that for ya... Figure lines that would work amazingly well with Castle Grayskull...

Seventh Kingdom
    Gothitropolis
    MotUC
    MotU 200X
    Original MotU, PoP, NA
    Palisades Muppets
    DCUC
    Marvel Selects
    NECA Horror lines, pick one, pick any.
    McFarlane lines, Conan, Dragons, etc.
    DC World of Warcraft line
    Monster High girls!
    Schliech and Papo fantasy figure lines
    This list can go on and on and on!!!
    Last edited by Baena; October 30, 2012 at 10:48am.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    A valid point. The problem is, that this line is a mix of a collectors line & a toy line. I get the point, why Mattel wants to make a playset, but the question is, how many adult collectors will play with the castle several weeks or months? How many fans are still using the Wind Raider action feature? I guess not many.

I think most collectors only display their collection and for displaying, the measurements are terrible with the side piece needing much space in the deep.

I prefer an awesome sculpt over the playability of an item, because I don't play with my figures.

Quote Originally Posted by marndt8448 View Post
    I think it did move slightly after the week-end. It is now 16 pings up from the bottom and I think it was 14 on the week-end.

Even if you don't PLAY with your figures, imagine the display opportunities of this one! It's more than just a flat piece of 2D paper with a castle printed on it! You can have Webstor grappling up the side. Sorceress can be standing on the top of the turret, casting a protective spell. Man-At-Arms can be sneaking out the secret passageway on the side to clobber King Hiss. He-man can stand before Grayskull with his sword aloft, ready to deny Skeletor entrance!

I'm hoping to get some sort of turntable set-up for mine eventually so you can just turn it around and see all the action inside too! I get what some people are saying. I kind of feel the same about the vehicles (other than Battle Ram) but Grayskull... the the fortress of power and mystery? To me, this one, you just make work if you have the money.

I totally play with MotUC. It's always with my kids. They love 'em, play with them.
    So yes, I still pull down the Wind Raider and use the action feature on it all the time, many a figure has hung by that anchor!

Honestly, this is why I want the castle to be done so badly. I want it, not just for me, but for my kids too.

I see the value in imaginative play as I raise my kids. There's loads of proof out there that backs me up on this. Ask anyone you know in child development.

Were it just for me? I'd still get it anyway, because it's freakin' gonna be the best playset of ever!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw

Heroic Warrior
    It maybe works for several fans, but I don't think most adult collectors will play with it over a long time period. Displaying is the reason for most buyers to purchase an item and space is already a problem for a lot of fans. You cannot put it on a regular shelf, like a simple front piece.

In the end, I think, the combination of the price, the lacking interest for playsets for adults & the limitations of the display options will prevent many potential customers to preorder it.

Looks like we are at 60-70% depending if you count the bulb or not.

I don't play with my figures...but I DEFINITELY want that castle!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

I will play with it I figure..lol. Tons of display pics, tons of giggling like a kid at what it does. So on. lol

As for the thermometer I will stick to how it was with the 2013 subs. They will hold back info and so on and as if by magic that last day suddenly it will go from 90ish% to out of the top of that thermometer. Might just be me but they went from 95% or so and suddenly it jumps to 125 or whatever it was? Shenanigans
    Find what you seek only when you look in the right places...

The thermometer is a gimmick. It's a static image, not updated in real time, creeping up incredibly slowly to keep us nice and antsy. If its already made it, it's not in their best interests to show it, because there would be no sense of urgency.

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    The thermometer is a gimmick. It's a static image, not updated in real time, creeping up incredibly slowly to keep us nice and antsy. If its already made it, it's not in their best interests to show it, because there would be no sense of urgency.
    Exactly. Just like the 2013 subscriptions. I still think Mattel have already given the Castle the go-ahead, anyway. That’s just my own opinion, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Exactly. Just like the 2013 subscriptions. I still think Mattel have already given the Castle the go-ahead, anyway. That’s just my own opinion, though.
    I imagine Young Justice fans would disagree that the thermometers are a gimmick, since the Superboy/Ms. Martian 2-pack didn't go through even though the thermometer was fairly full by the time it finished.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I imagine Young Justice fans would disagree that the thermometers are a gimmick, since the Superboy/Ms. Martian 2-pack didn't go through even though the thermometer was fairly full by the time it finished.
    DCU stuff failed several times though, hasn't it? They failed to meet their minimum sub level one year and went through with it anyway. That makes me think the thermometers are just there for hype. I admit to not knowing anything about that 2-pack though.

You guys that are thinking it's gonna happen anyway? Pure speculation on your part.

Not the facts.

I want to side with you guys, of course I want Grayskull! But the fact is, only Mattel knows. And I'm not going to risk NOT getting this Castle. I'll be buggin' people to buy it until Nov. 13th. I hope all that want this Castle will too.

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    You guys that are thinking it's gonna happen anyway? Pure speculation on your part.

Not the facts.

I want to side with you guys, of course I want Grayskull! But the fact is, only Mattel knows. And I'm not going to risk NOT getting this Castle. I'll be buggin' people to buy it until Nov. 13th. I hope all that want this Castle will too.
    Hey man, I bought mine, and I'm toying with the idea of getting two so I can display it both ways. I just don't necessarily take the thermometer at face value.

DCU stuff failed several times though, hasn't it? They failed to meet their minimum sub level one year and went through with it anyway. That makes me think the thermometers are just there for hype. I admit to not knowing anything about that 2-pack though.
    Well, the hypothesis is that the thermometers don't matter and that it's all a gimmick. But, in the thermometers we've seen we've had the DCUC sub barely make it though it wasn't quite full. We've had a the Superboy/Ms. Martian NOT make it through because it didn't make it. And we've seen a MOTU sub make it through because it did reach goal.

The only thing we can say for sure is that in 2 out of 3 times the thermometer did indicate the success or failure of something being made. The one outlier (the DCUC sub) we were told they went ahead because it was close. The worst you could say for the thermometer is that, yes, maybe they aren't connected to sales. Maybe it is a gimmick to drive sales (I actually think it is a gimmick to drive sales and it is accurate, it doesn't have to be one or the other.) It does not follow, however, that Castle Grayskull is a shoe-in to be made then just because the MOTUC sub did because we've seen instances where items didn't go through. That's where I worry some people's heads are. They may want Grayskull but figure it's a shoe-in and they can wait until later to see the prototype. It just means that we have ZERO clue if we'll make it if the thermometer is just a gimmick and not accurate.

If you don't want Grayskull or can't get Grayskull, that's cool. At least we'll know how many people are actually wanting it, and if it doesn't go through then we can put away hopes of getting it forever because the reality is not enough people want it. I guess we'll know either way. The danger with people getting complacent and thinking "oh it'll go through" is that it may not happen for all of us. Simple fact of the matter is, if you want Grayskull, don't delay. Get it now. It's the best thing for all of us.

If you absolutely can't make yourself do it based on a drawing... I understand that too. But I'd hope you'd reconsider.

They went ahead with DC last year, but raised the prices for day-of sales to offset the cost iirc. This year they had enough to go through with the sub, but not for the sub with unique tooling. So, there is some truth in the thermometers. But it's also true that it's not in Mattel's best interest to say "Okay guys, we're at the top, thx!" any time in advance.

Play with your figures or not . if you can afford it and have the space available,this is a MUST OWN imo . .I don't want to look back at this line 2-3-4 years from now and say what if. It seems the org members have made their purchases but I bet there are alot of outsiders still paying up. . I'm not concerned .

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    This--^ I don't think it's in Mattel's best interests to jerk fans around by saying an item is being thermometered, only to later have that turn out to have been nothing more than an elaborate marketing ploy. Fans are savvy and either a fan would figure it out or someone on the inside would spill the beans. Eventually this might even destroy Mattel's leftover credibility with fans. Again, not a smart move and not in the interests of any company hoping for longevity.

Now I think the math is somewhat fuzzy as to how truly up to date the thermometer is at any given time, but an outright ploy simply to worry fans needlessly? I'm not ready to buy into that sort of talk.
    Harken to the coming of RIO BLAST!!

Heroic Warrior
    The only thing I can add is that somehow we were right down to the wire for the 2013 subs.... THEN we were 30% OVER what we needed...

Sooooooo Chalk me up as one who takes thermometer and 'goal updates' with a grain of salt.