Page 86 of 186 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136 ... LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 4645

Thread: MOTUC Castle Grayskull Discussion Thread

Sitting high upon the Eternian porcelain throne.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I think when people talk about this they forget one thing...
    It's a risk for business, yes. And businesses usually do foot the risk up front.

You know what happens when they decide it's not worth the risk? They don't make something. Period.

Now, at this point you could argue the figures are less of a risk because they are a proven commodity for the most part. But the Castle is an unknown. The point of all of this is that Mattel doesn't consider the Castle worth doing if they have to put the money up front. From a business standpoint, it doesn't make sense. This is how it works with all businesses. The difference here is Mattel is at least trying to make the Castle by getting some assurances up front about who will actually pay for this thing.

Right now? It looks like Mattel might have been right. Maybe there weren't enough fans to support a Grayskull play set. I hope it's not the final result, but right now they it's looking like they were smart to not sink money into the castle.
    It's more than that though. It's a way for Matty to be incredibly lazy and cheap. They don't advertise; they don't do hardly anything to promote; and they don't even handle their own customer service! They do the subscription and pre-order model so they can be cheap and lazy to the extreme. If they produced the castles up front and then had to sell them, it would force them to advertise; force them to do the leg work that us fans do. Instead, Matty tells the die hard fans that they want to do a CG but "You better preorder and you better spread the word...OR ELSE NO CASTLE FOR YOU AND MAYBE NO 2014 SUB!!". And then we all scramble and kick each other and try to make the product happen. Making the product happen should be Matty's job, not ours.

You have to admit, Matty has it made with us fans and they know it. It's quite brilliant on their part, really. The only downside, as we see time and time again, is that eventually the fans get tired of the shennanigans. 2013 barely happened, this castle is looking more and more unlikely, and 2014 might not even happen...all this despite the fact that they do have a brand that people want.
    Last edited by Fug-Lee-Faces; November 6, 2012 at 04:08pm.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    Sorry to hear that, but so glad I have a wife that encourages me to buy anything and everything my heart desires
    Rub it why dont ya? Seriously thought glad to hear your wife is good about it!

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by charliecore View Post
    This is downright ridiculous. I have never really lashed out on this forum over the practices of Mattel. I have sat back and been fairly neutral over some of the issues that have really divided the fan base (quality control, shipping practices, channel of distribution, pricing, delays, shuffling of schedules, basically holding a gun to fans heads to subscribe, etc). HOWEVER, the notion that they couldn't sculpt this thing until so many orders are placed are downright laughable.

Can you imagine if every business in the world, no matter what industry, used the same model? Chevrolet wouldn't make your car until you paid for it. A restaurant wouldn't serve you dinner until you gave them money. Movie theaters wouldn't advertise what movies were playing until they sold you a ticket. I know, I know, apples to oranges, but still. Have they ever heard of the notion you have to use resources to be profitable? How much would it honestly take to sculpt a castle? Even if they allowed the pre-orders to continue until January, and they didn't hit the minimum by then, are they suggesting the loss they would take from simply sculpting a model would be that great?

If so, Mattel needs to get out of the business. Clearly, if losing the resources it would take to sculpt a castle they decided not to make is that big a financial risk, they must not have enough operating income to stay in business.
    Your comparison is extremely naive. Look at other toy companies. Playsets are a rarity these days. Even Hasbro couldb't swing a temple of doom playset for the Indy line. Nor did Marvel legends at the height of its run (under toybiz). It just has become way too expensive to make these things. And that business model you seem to be criticizing is now very common on the internet.... Ever heard of kickstarter? We brag about how we are the DEFINiTE motu fans here, and we always expect Mattel to listen to us as if we were a huge number of fans.. But if only 600 of us have ordered a castle grayskull or a subscription, it shows how SMALL our community really is. To use your exemple, chevrolet probably sells MILLIONS OF CARS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

MOTUC Grayskull thermometer is up [2] marks

if each is around 3-6% we are now around 72-75%

COME ON GUYS!!! WE CAN DO IT! LETS KEEP OUR MOMENTUM WE HAVE NOW!!
    Last edited by Replikor; November 6, 2012 at 04:36pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Replikor View Post
    I do as well, but I am holding otu hope that SOMEONE SOMEWHERE will make a video to help SERIOUSLY promote the preorder.

Come on guys dont wait till the last minute!

PREORDER NOW!!!
    Doing my part by pimping the Castle Pre-Order on my blog. Castle Grayskull Week at Insidious Customs continues today with the extremely appropriate He-Man: King of Castle Grayskull.

Sitting high upon the Eternian porcelain throne.
    Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    Your comparison is extremely naive.
    Actually, I'm 100% certain your perspective is extremely naive.

Quote Originally Posted by Fug-Lee-Faces View Post
    all this despite the fact that they do have a brand that people want.
    Yes people want products from this brand, but not enough people for Mattel to allocate additional resources for the line. It costs them money to pay the Four Horsemen to sculpt a prototype Castle Grayskull when they could be using that time to sculpt more DC/Batman figures. MOTU Classics is such a small line for Mattel that I'm sure it barely impacts their bottom line. It has to stand on it's own without the resources that we are accustomed to with a retail toy line because it is such a small, niche line.

Snappy Threader
    lol.. go sleep in the car for a day or two with "sammich" supplies an pop an claim you gotta go away on a business trip that costs "right about what ya will pay"... lol
    Haha great idea. Truck stops offer showers so just shower before you go home and she will be none the wiser.

Master of Invisibility MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iron_pride View Post
    We need to make a two tick jump each day...
    If that is what we really need then I just don't see that happening. BUT as a marketing strategy I can see Mattel skewing the numbers to make things look worse than they actually are so that fans purchase more CG playsets than they normally would in order to make sure Castle Grayskull comes to fruition. This happened with the 2013 sub.
    Enter my $200 CASH GIVEAWAY to Help
    Promote the 2015 Club Eternia Subscription.

WE can do this together because.....

EVERY SUB COUNTS whether it is 1 or 1,000!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by iron_pride View Post
    Haha great idea. Truck stops offer showers so just shower before you go home and she will be none the wiser.
    Yeah except it is darn COLD here in VT!

I think we are already at 90%, they just won't tell us that. Which is smart. It's going to happen.

Poster, Rudy signed on, vote for characters on the box...thats a lot planned & thought out for something thats not even close. Which translates to me as they already know they are making it.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!
    The Space Mutants are missing something CRITAcal!
    Chocolate and Vanilla swiiiirl. Swur-Urrl. -Crazy Eyes

Quote Originally Posted by Clawful Ofit View Post
    I think we are already at 90%, they just won't tell us that. Which is smart. It's going to happen.

I agree! I think we are well on our way, but Mattel would NEVER tell us that because they want to sell as many as possible. So it's "doom and gloom" until November 12th at which time they will tell us we overshot the minimum by 30% overnight. lol.

I agree! I think we are well on our way, but Mattel would NEVER tell us that because they want to sell as many as possible. So it's "doom and gloom" until November 12th at which time they will tell us we overshot the minimum by 30% overnight. lol.
    Hey that works for me!!! As anything over gets us more stuff IN and ON the castle!!!

OVERSHOOT THE GOAL PLEASE!!!

...lol

Hey that works for me!!! As anything over gets us more stuff IN and ON the castle!!!

OVERSHOOT THE GOAL PLEASE!!!

...lol
    I agree. I want LOTS of cool extras

Heroic Warrior
    If that is what we really need then I just don't see that happening. BUT as a marketing strategy I can see Mattel skewing the numbers to make things look worse than they actually are so that fans purchase more CG playsets than they normally would in order to make sure Castle Grayskull comes to fruition. This happened with the 2013 sub.
    Just my thoughts here.....I think Mattel has already green lighted this project. I think we may have already hit the goal....I t is not in Mattel interest to show the thermometer at goal point today. They want to "Milk It". It makes perfect business sense. I forecast that they will move it up a "tick" a day....and then finally on the last day...BOOM!!! They want to keep the fans on the edge....to possibly order more than 1.....the more they make the more money for their shareholders. Then continuing the pre order until january will appeal to those that know it is a sure thing and they too will order one. More castles....More money......It is economics here...plain and simple.....Just a thought BUT.... if they were truly at the mark that they show.....they would be nervous TOYGURU would be making a new video...(begging video) like the 2013 subs to get people to buy. I also truly believe there is also a large portion of people who ware waiting for the last day. 11/12 that is to pre order. they will throw their order in the ring maybe only one castle....each but each one counts. just my two cents.....your thoughts?????

Quote Originally Posted by charliecore View Post
    This is downright ridiculous. I have never really lashed out on this forum over the practices of Mattel. I have sat back and been fairly neutral over some of the issues that have really divided the fan base (quality control, shipping practices, channel of distribution, pricing, delays, shuffling of schedules, basically holding a gun to fans heads to subscribe, etc). HOWEVER, the notion that they couldn't sculpt this thing until so many orders are placed are downright laughable.

Can you imagine if every business in the world, no matter what industry, used the same model? Chevrolet wouldn't make your car until you paid for it. A restaurant wouldn't serve you dinner until you gave them money. Movie theaters wouldn't advertise what movies were playing until they sold you a ticket. I know, I know, apples to oranges, but still. Have they ever heard of the notion you have to use resources to be profitable? How much would it honestly take to sculpt a castle? Even if they allowed the pre-orders to continue until January, and they didn't hit the minimum by then, are they suggesting the loss they would take from simply sculpting a model would be that great?

If so, Mattel needs to get out of the business. Clearly, if losing the resources it would take to sculpt a castle they decided not to make is that big a financial risk, they must not have enough operating income to stay in business.
    They are not charging anything at this time, not until it is ready to ship. You are only committing to purchase the item in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Fug-Lee-Faces View Post
    Matty should be building and manufacturing all these toys, and then selling them. Not trying to sell them and then make them. It's completely a s s backwards. If ANY other business told you that you had to pay them up front for an item, sight unseen, you'd laugh! A years worth of a sub is about $500. If you went to Best Buy to buy a computer for $500 and the store told you, "Well, you'll get this nice laptop--I PROMISE it will be nice--but we can't order it or show it to you until you give us your credit card" you would walk right out of the store.
    That comparison holds no weight whatsoever.

Computers are a known seller. Best Buy sells millions of them. Almost everybody owns a computer. You could say the same thing about cars as well since they were compared to CG earlier.

Castle Grayskull is the exact opposite. Playsets in this day don't sell well at all. This isn't even a retail item. It's a direct-to-customer item designed for a niche line that sells so poorly that retail can't sustain it. Mattel, or anybody for that matter, would be crazy to go into production of an item they don't know will sell.

BTW, that sure was a clever way to get by the filter.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Sure, companies bare the risks when they need a success to sustain their business. This is not one of those situations.
    Very true. Whether or not this SKU goes into production won't make or break Mattel. They'll still be selling dolls and cars. That's where their "bread and butter" is, not a small niche line like MOTU.

They aren't going to take a risk on an item like this from such a small line.

Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    But if only 600 of us have ordered a castle grayskull or a subscription, it shows how SMALL our community really is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    Yes people want products from this brand, but not enough people for Mattel to allocate additional resources for the line. It costs them money to pay the Four Horsemen to sculpt a prototype Castle Grayskull when they could be using that time to sculpt more DC/Batman figures. MOTU Classics is such a small line for Mattel that I'm sure it barely impacts their bottom line. It has to stand on it's own without the resources that we are accustomed to with a retail toy line because it is such a small, niche line.
    Sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by Clawful Ofit View Post

Poster, Rudy signed on, vote for characters on the box...thats a lot planned & thought out for something thats not even close. Which translates to me as they already know they are making it.
    I actually just talked to Rudy today. I met him at his studio in LA to buy some of the vintage prints he has available. I asked him if he thought it was going to happen and be said "I hope so!" It didn't sound like a slam dunk yet to me.
    My sell/trade list - vintage 80's toys - adding stuff all the time! http://www.blujay.com/beastor

My feedback thread. http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=202525

My want list http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...70#post2849070

Quote Originally Posted by BAKULL View Post
    Just my thoughts here.....I think Mattel has already green lighted this project. I think we may have already hit the goal....I t is not in Mattel interest to show the thermometer at goal point today. They want to "Milk It". It makes perfect business sense. I forecast that they will move it up a "tick" a day....and then finally on the last day...BOOM!!! They want to keep the fans on the edge....to possibly order more than 1.....the more they make the more money for their shareholders. Then continuing the pre order until january will appeal to those that know it is a sure thing and they too will order one. More castles....More money......It is economics here...plain and simple.....Just a thought BUT.... if they were truly at the mark that they show.....they would be nervous TOYGURU would be making a new video...(begging video) like the 2013 subs to get people to buy. I also truly believe there is also a large portion of people who ware waiting for the last day. 11/12 that is to pre order. they will throw their order in the ring maybe only one castle....each but each one counts. just my two cents.....your thoughts?????
    I agree. I think Castle Grayskull is a lot closer than the thermometer shows. Mattel is going to milk it to sell as many as possible, but hopefully that will allow us to get lots of cool extras.

I agree. I think Castle Grayskull is a lot closer than the thermometer shows. Mattel is going to milk it to sell as many as possible, but hopefully that will allow us to get lots of cool extras.
    before the Young Justice 2-pak failed... I would have agreed MOTU maniac... now I personally think its much closer to what it actaully displays than we all think it is at.

Snappy Threader
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTUiac View Post
    Yeah except it is darn COLD here in VT!
    Good point. Especially since the charges will hit in December of 2013. I guess one owuld need to find a buddy to stay with, and go to a hotel and lift some ink pens or something to show they were there.

Its creeeeeeeeeeping up. As I said before, 2013 subscriptions all over again.

That would put us around 72-75%
    That's just 67% or thereabouts, but that's exciting! Two-Thirds!
    MOTUClassics.Com - Reviews, Release Schedule, Bios, & News.

Heroic Warrior StraightEdgeHe-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Some fans grew up with Filmation and want that Castle. Others want the original toy. We have fans who want an Alcala/Taylor prototype castle.

Almost everyone wanted Castle Grayskull, but you simply CANNOT please everyone.
    Screw it, just give us Earl Norem's CG
    10 Most Wanted MOTUC's: Ninjor, Quake, Squeeze, MYP King Mero, Sagitar, Dragstor, Snake Armor He-man, Phravus, Filmation's Garth (post transformation), Angella

I updated the MOTUC Grayskull "Thermometer Progress" image with dates an %'s when possible if stated by Toy Guru...

I HONESTLY am stunned that no one has bothered to try an step up an make a video or ad campaign or somethin for the Castle.

I have this BAD feeling "everyone" assumes it will go ahead.. an this will end up as another Young Justice 2-pak failure.

..god I wished I knew how to make videos an edit an all that jazz...