Page 87 of 186 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,175 of 4645

Thread: MOTUC Castle Grayskull Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Replikor View Post
    I HONESTLY am stunned that no one has bothered to try an step up an make a video or ad campaign or somethin for the Castle.

I have this BAD feeling "everyone" assumes it will go ahead.. an this will end up as another Young Justice 2-pak failure.

..god I wished I knew how to make videos an edit an all that jazz...
    Unfortunately, I don't know how to make videos. But even if I did I doubt anyone would listen to someone like me. We need a celebrity.
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't know how to make videos. But even if I did I doubt anyone would listen to someone like me. We need a celebrity.
    I agree, same here Maniac... All I know is we def could use.. no.. we NEED... someone to rally the troops that knows how to do this stuff. Vids with links an everything so ppl can spam it on facebook, twitter an everythin!

Heroic Warrior
    Hate to say it but I've almost gone from being on the fence about it to not getting one.

Honestly this whole thing feels like deja vu with the Hoverboard where we were promised the world in the form of a movie accurate prop replica "down to the smallest detail" and wound up with "a really cool toy" instead and where the design team got pulled. On top of that until a sudden backflip, Mattel were even trying on a bait and switch.

Yet when I posted a question on Mattycollector, stating my concerns of this thing turning into a repeat of the whole Hoverboard fiasco (as well as making it clear that it was a prime opportunity for him to shift me to a position where I would preorder one), all I got was a canned response about how proud he is of the hoverboard, which just leads me to think that this will just be a repeat of it.

Honestly, it's just destroyed virtually all of what little confidence I had in Mattel doing this right. Right now, I just feel like this is a textbook example of "fool me once; shame on you. Fool me twice; shame on me."

Quote Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
    Hate to say it but I've almost gone from being on the fence about it to not getting one.

Honestly this whole thing feels like deja vu with the Hoverboard where we were promised the world in the form of a movie accurate prop replica "down to the smallest detail" and wound up with "a really cool toy" instead and where the design team got pulled. On top of that until a sudden backflip, Mattel were even trying on a bait and switch.

Yet when I posted a question on Mattycollector, stating my concerns of this thing turning into a repeat of the whole Hoverboard fiasco (as well as making it clear that it was a prime opportunity for him to shift me to a position where I would preorder one), all I got was a canned response about how proud he is of the hoverboard, which just leads me to think that this will just be a repeat of it.

Honestly, it's just destroyed virtually all of what little confidence I had in Mattel doing this right. Right now, I just feel like this is a textbook example of "fool me once; shame on you. Fool me twice; shame on me."

Well, ya gotta member, this is Grayskull, total diff situation than the hoverboard would ahve been... I mean this is the 4H doin this!!
    An the 4H have already stated they REALLY WANT to do this sculpt! Scott even seems excited about it getting made!
    ...an ya gotta admit, at best EVEN IF its made with "Blastic" an painted over it... its a playset... its not like we will be smackin it around playin with it an scuffing the paint. Most of us will keep it MOC. Or in a display in a case, or on a shelf or corner in the home an it will never get touched except to alter the display up from time to time.

An if its parts loss thats a fear, well they already stated IF its missing parts or somethings defective, return an exchange it for a good one! Scott said they WILL do exchanges if its damaged or defective.. just not cash refunds.

Heroic Warrior

Exactly, what Iīm thinking. Mattel promise a lot of stuff, as long as the customers pay for it, the Hoverboard is the best current example. A year is a long time, things can always change. My faith in Mattel is gone, I don`t want to sit with a castle made of cheap plastic, with stuff easily breaking... Returning stuff makes no sense, if there`re production flaws for all castles. I would get another castle with the same flaws. Iīm confident, that the castle will make it through the preorder, I don`t trust the thermometer or official statements any longer, it`s like the sub fiasco a few months ago... Iīm sure it`s already safe.

When this playset is well done without production errors , I would pay some money to get it from secondary market here in my country to avoid the risk of having the packaging damaged with overseas shipping.

I updated the MOTUC Grayskull "Thermometer Progress" image with dates an %'s when possible if stated by Toy Guru...

Thanks for keeping up with this. Much appreciated
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

Heroic Warrior
    Well, ya gotta member, this is Grayskull, total diff situation than the hoverboard would ahve been... I mean this is the 4H doin this!!
    An the 4H have already stated they REALLY WANT to do this sculpt! Scott even seems excited about it getting made!
    ...an ya gotta admit, at best EVEN IF its made with "Blastic" an painted over it... its a playset... its not like we will be smackin it around playin with it an scuffing the paint. Most of us will keep it MOC. Or in a display in a case, or on a shelf or corner in the home an it will never get touched except to alter the display up from time to time.

An if its parts loss thats a fear, well they already stated IF its missing parts or somethings defective, return an exchange it for a good one! Scott said they WILL do exchanges if its damaged or defective.. just not cash refunds.
    There's one problem with all of that - they're all optimistic presumptions. To put this in context; here's the question I asked on Mattycollector.com:

How will CG be different to the Hoverboard?
    I'm considering preordering Castle Grayskull, however I'm incredibly apprehensive about placing a preorder on it after what happened with the Hoverboard.

To summarize, we were "promised the world" in the form of a top notch design team working on a movie accurate prop replica, and we wound up with a glorified toy that was almost a Bait & Switch scenario (in fact I imagine that some in Mattel would have tried their luck, only Legal realised what an open and shut case it would be against Mattel), where rumour has it that the design team was gutted shortly after the preorder period.

Once again you guys are promising the world, so how can I and others who were also burned by the Hoverboard preorder, trust Mattel that they will deliver on the "bare minimum" (to quote Toyguru's own words) that has been advertised and that this project will be a priority in terms of the design team (which will mean the 4 Horsemen I imagine) working on this from start to finish?

To be clear, spin wont cut it here - for me to go ahead with a preorder, I need genuine reassurances to commit to that amount of money again with a Mattycollector product.

I couldn't be prouder of the Hoverboard and we all hope the Castle can live up to how great the Board turned out.
    Now if this has been fully costed so that everything offered will be the bare minimum and can be guaranteed, why not just say that? If this is going to be the Horsemen from start to finish designing that, then why not just say that?

The fact that Toyguru resorted to that canned line, suggests that the reason he didn't say that was because he knew it would be a lie. The skeptic in me strongly suspects that we'll see something at SDCC far less than what was promised and that the 4H will be moved from this onto something else not long after the preorder period - just like what Mattel did with the brilliant design team they originally had on the Hoverboard, according to inside sources.

Furthermore people talk about the passion that people like Scott have for this? Well guess what - according to inside sources, there were plenty of people inside Mattel who were passionate about the Hoverboard too. What's more, when they saw what a trainwreck it was turning into, they tried to help fix the problems with it. When they did, they were promptly told to butt out!!!

Give me one reason why I should believe the same thing wont happen here - especially after Scott's utterly contemptuous response to my question and attempt to gain the reassurance I need to trust Mattel enough with this large a purchase/preorder?

There's one problem with all of that - they're all optimistic presumptions. To put this in context; here's the question I asked on Mattycollector.com:

Now if this has been fully costed so that everything offered will be the bare minimum and can be guaranteed, why not just say that? If this is going to be the Horsemen from start to finish designing that, then why not just say that?

The fact that Toyguru resorted to that canned line, suggests that the reason he didn't say that was because he knew it would be a lie. The skeptic in me strongly suspects that we'll see something at SDCC far less than what was promised and that the 4H will be moved from this onto something else not long after the preorder period - just like what Mattel did with the brilliant design team they originally had on the Hoverboard, according to inside sources.

Furthermore people talk about the passion that people like Scott have for this? Well guess what - according to inside sources, there were plenty of people inside Mattel who were passionate about the Hoverboard too. What's more, when they saw what a trainwreck it was turning into, they tried to help fix the problems with it. When they did, they were promptly told to butt out!!!

Give me one reason why I should believe the same thing wont happen here - especially after Scott's utterly contemptuous response to my question and attempt to gain the reassurance I need to trust Mattel enough with this large a purchase/preorder?
    I cant, thats the point. You jsut have to have faith in the Horsemen!

Sure the hoverboard isnt 100% percent accurate to the movie down to EVERY detail, and I WILL admit that them saying its 100% film accurate was a problem! But its still cool very close lookin an... I am sorry... as someone who isnt NOT a Back to the Future fan... I would still be very happy with that board if it was given to me, or if I had preordered it... its close enough for me... an it looks cool! Plus, with the sticker being one of the few problems, I know that eventually someone will make a custom sticker to slap over the one they put on it.

An the same logic for me is fine with Grayskull. I JUST WANT IT!!! if its not perfect, I will customize it! nuff said for me... an I have only been doing this for less than 6 months. its NOT HARD ppl. Dont be afraid to customize!

Heroic Warrior

Sure the hoverboard isnt 100% percent accurate to the movie down to EVERY detail, and I WILL admit that them saying its 100% film accurate was a problem! But its still cool very close lookin an... I am sorry... as someone who isnt NOT a Back to the Future fan... I would still be very happy with that board if it was given to me, or if I had preordered it... its close enough for me... an it looks cool! Plus, with the sticker being one of the few problems, I know that eventually someone will make a custom sticker to slap over the one they put on it.

An the same logic for me is fine with Grayskull. I JUST WANT IT!!! if its not perfect, I will customize it! nuff said for me... an I have only been doing this for less than 6 months. its NOT HARD ppl. Dont be afraid to customize!

Customize a 250$ item (not counting the shipping costs overseas plus customs)? For this price, it better be perfect from the start...

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    Customize a 250$ item (not counting the shipping costs overseas plus customs)? For this price, it better be perfect from the start...
    hey wont stop me. if it needs some paint deco to be awesome to me.. I WILL paint on it. lol

Heroic Warrior

Valid points, no doubt... it`s exactly, what Iīm thinking about it. It`s not that I wouldn`t want to own it, it`s the way HOW this thing can turn out, with experiences made with Mattel over the last couple of years

Heroic Warrior
    The Horsemen aren't the weak link in the chain here and if it wasn't for them, I wouldn't even be remotely interested in this now (which should tell you not only how much I admire the Horsemen's work, but how much Mttel has alienated me).

The fact is that the Horsemen may finish a design, but then Matty mass-produces it and makes changes accordingly (Stinkor's forearms anyone?). That of course presumes that the 4H will work on this from start to finish. The fact is that once preorders are locked in; there's nothing stopping Mattel from taking the 4H off Grayskull and putting one of their in house teams on it - like the team that produced the DKR action figures.

Sure the hoverboard isnt 100% percent accurate to the movie down to EVERY detail, and I WILL admit that them saying its 100% film accurate was a problem!
    Which is where it becomes like the fable of The Boy who Cried Wolf. Mattel went from a 100% movie accurate prop replica, to "a cool toy". What's to stop them from pulling the exact same stunt here- especially when Toyguru wont ev en officially give reassurances to the contrary?

- - - Updated - - -

hey wont stop me. if it needs some paint deco to be awesome to me.. I WILL paint on it. lol
    That's just it though- there's a difference between customising something that has been properly made to give it a personal touch (eg adding custom parts and adding custom paint apps), and customising something to fix it because it's been so craptacularly made by the company producing it (eg recasting defective parts and repairing paint apps).

The Horsemen aren't the weak link in the chain here and if it wasn't for them, I wouldn't even be remotely interested in this now (which should tell you not only how much I admire the Horsemen's work, but how much Mttel has alienated me).

The fact is that the Horsemen may finish a design, but then Matty mass-produces it and makes changes accordingly (Stinkor's forearms anyone?). That of course presumes that the 4H will work on this from start to finish. The fact is that once preorders are locked in; there's nothing stopping Mattel from taking the 4H off Grayskull and putting one of their in house teams on it - like the team that produced the DKR action figures.

Which is where it becomes like the fable of The Boy who Cried Wolf. Mattel went from a 100% movie accurate prop replica, to "a cool toy". What's to stop them from pulling the exact same stunt here- especially when Toyguru wont ev en officially give reassurances to the contrary?

- - - Updated - - -

That's just it though- there's a difference between customising something that has been properly made to give it a personal touch (eg adding custom parts and adding custom paint apps), and customising something to fix it because it's been so craptacularly made by the company producing it (eg recasting defective parts and repairing paint apps).

oh! I agree, if it has casting errors an all of them have it, then sure I would be ticked off. But if it comes to that, I expect mattel will give hte "option" to back out because of "legal false advertising" legal lawsuit fear.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTUiac View Post
    Argh I had quit the line but after some hard toy deliberation I preordered. God help me if my wife finds out .
    HAHAHAHA!!! I'm right there with you man. Maybe we can be roomies

If Mattel is confident enough to expect us to pre-order on a mockup based on what the 4H is going to go with, why not to put the money down up front and have them sculpt a proto? If this fails it will be because they insisted on the consumer assuming all risks and playing it safe beyond reason. Just sell the property to Disney already!
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by orbles View Post
    They are not charging anything at this time, not until it is ready to ship. You are only committing to purchase the item in 2013.
    Orbles, I understand we aren't getting charged yet. I respect anyone's right to disagree with an opinion, but so many people are missing my point. What I'm trying to say is the notion that the pre-order period is only around a month is stupid. If the reason provided for this as the date to hit the minimum number of orders was so the Horsemen could then go forth with sculpting a model, I am calling shenanigans. Are they arguing the cost of sculpting a model is so prohibitive they can't even do that much without having a majority of the orders locked in?

I wouldn't expect them to go into full-scale production without a certain level of commitment.

With all that said though, I am beginning to think it wouldn't matter if the pre-order was extended until this time next year. I think we are going to fall short. At which point, we have no one to blame but our own fan base. The chance to get this thing done is out there, fans are choosing not to make it a reality. At least we know a great number of people here on the org are doing our part.

I think what is happening here is that management has given the green light and the funding to do the
    Castle in 2013, so in order to move forward with the more expensive part of the creation of the Castle, they have to have the minimum amount, as dictated by profits and management. Once that minimum is hit, then they can start the production process, but they dont have to put the final order in with the factory until later, this is just the time lead they need to be able to complete everything and have it manufactured within the budgeting time frame for 2013. So they can continue to sell after the minimum cut off time and then when they cut off all orders, that is when they need to tell the factory to procure the materials to produce X number of units. I agree though that the company should not be so closed minded to say if we cant make the Castle in 2013, then we cant make it at all, as opposed to leaving the pre-order open until the minimum number of units is reached, then producing the Castle regardless of when it is shipped. Probably a legal issue and hard headed corporate management.

I have a couple questions on the pre=order, due to my wife already griping about my sub for next year, first off they are not charging anything for the pre-order right, and it doesnt matter if its a bank account right!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelAschamp View Post
    I have a couple questions on the pre=order, due to my wife already griping about my sub for next year, first off they are not charging anything for the pre-order right, and it doesnt matter if its a bank account right!
    No, its $0 charge. you wont be billed ANYTHING till it ships. I preordered 2, an I live hard. So I understand your fear. Believe me, NOONE has stated that they have had issues with the preorder being charged anything up front.

As for how you could be billed, credit card, debit card, direct bank account etc. it all works for it. As long as the matty site accepts the payment method, your good.

Thanks Replikor, my girl will try to kill me, but she will get over it, eventually, I cant let this pass me by! I have a year to save for it, so all should be great, unless she does do me in, hahaha! Again thanks!

After much thought and contemplation I've decided to hop the fence and pre-order CG! I hope it goes through as I would love to have one for this line. Mattel better not screw this up, my trust in them is paper thin as it is, so I hope they deliver the goods and pour their passion on this and give us something we can all value as a great playset, if not the greatest!
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

Quote Originally Posted by charliecore View Post
    Orbles, I understand we aren't getting charged yet. I respect anyone's right to disagree with an opinion, but so many people are missing my point. What I'm trying to say is the notion that the pre-order period is only around a month is stupid. If the reason provided for this as the date to hit the minimum number of orders was so the Horsemen could then go forth with sculpting a model, I am calling shenanigans. Are they arguing the cost of sculpting a model is so prohibitive they can't even do that much without having a majority of the orders locked in?

I wouldn't expect them to go into full-scale production without a certain level of commitment.

With all that said though, I am beginning to think it wouldn't matter if the pre-order was extended until this time next year. I think we are going to fall short. At which point, we have no one to blame but our own fan base. The chance to get this thing done is out there, fans are choosing not to make it a reality. At least we know a great number of people here on the org are doing our part.
    I get you. However, see it from this point of view:
    Mattel has greenlit the funding, but didnīt allocate the money yet. They will only do this if the pre-order is met. And only with money you can pay the 4 Horsemen to sculpt the piece.
    They just cannot start to sculpt, even with 75% or even 95% reached, because only at 100% the funds will be given to the MOTUC department.
    Thatīs why the pre-order time is so short. If we had reached 100% 2 weeks ago, my good guess is that the 4HM would have already started sculpting. But as it stands now, they are still waiting in their box like race horses, ready to go. And they only wait for 100%. Does that make sense?
    Positivity, folks!
    Letīs all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Force View Post
    I get you. However, see it from this point of view:
    Mattel has greenlit the funding, but didnīt allocate the money yet. They will only do this if the pre-order is met. And only with money you can pay the 4 Horsemen to sculpt the piece.
    They just cannot start to sculpt, even with 75% or even 95% reached, because only at 100% the funds will be given to the MOTUC department.
    Thatīs why the pre-order time is so short. If we had reached 100% 2 weeks ago, my good guess is that the 4HM would have already started sculpting. But as it stands now, they are still waiting in their box like race horses, ready to go. And they only wait for 100%. Does that make sense?
    It makes perfect sense but the minimum order for Mattel isn't necessarily 100% on the thermometer. They are always going to set the bar higher to drive sales.

I also think this has already been green lit and as such I'm waiting to pre-order mine further down the road in the hopes of actually seeing something before I commit $400+.

I'm in the wait till after the 12th to order moreso because of the added cost of being an International fan and I'd like to know more details/see a sculpt of what I'm buying. I believe that even if the total gets to 80ish the project will go ahead based on the fact that Mattel still have another 2-3mths sales window.

That said I also think we will get some big jumps just before this window closes just like with the 2013 sub.

Anyway - I really admire the effort you are putting into the sales drive on here and elsewhere and hope this does eventually come off.

Quote Originally Posted by ADPriceless View Post
    I'd like to know more details/see a sculpt of what I'm buying. I believe that even if the total gets to 80ish the project will go ahead based on the fact that Mattel still have another 2-3mths sales window.

That said I also think we will get some big jumps just before this window closes just like with the 2013 sub.

Anyway - I really admire the effort you are putting into the sales drive on here and elsewhere and hope this does eventually come off.
    I do hear ya on the details issue.... a "SUPER ROUGH" tossed together 3D PC view-able model for us to look at... SOMETHING/ANYTHING would be nice to be able to see to help ppl decide, as ALOT of ppl are hesitant to order over that very point as well.
    I personally know of not 1 or 2... but a MASSIVE 21 ppl that I have spoken with personally that are not wanting to order JUST over not getting to see what it will look like as a prototype/mockup.
    ..an yes, I tried HARD to get them all onboard.. even offered to help pay shipping for a few... lol

Appreciate the kind words by the way. I gotta say, in the end, its worth EVERY bit of the effort! An I plan to do the same to help promote Snake Mountain [WHEN] we get it... NOT IF WE GET IT!
    Last edited by Replikor; November 7, 2012 at 10:20am.

I do hear ya on the details issue.... a "SUPER ROUGH" tossed together 3D PC view-able model for us to look at... SOMETHING/ANYTHING would be nice to be able to see to help ppl decide, as ALOT of ppl are hesitant to order over that very point as well.
    I personally know of not 1 or 2... but a MASSIVE 21 ppl that I have spoken with personally that are not wanting to order JUST over not getting to see what it will look like as a prototype/mockup.
    ..an yes, I tried HARD to get them all onboard.. even offered to help pay shipping for a few... lol
    While the foam mock-up was helpful to judge the scale/size - it was the blank insides that didn't convince me. Like you suggested a 3D rendering or something like that may have pushed me over the edge.

Paying people's shipping is definitely going above and beyond the call of duty!!