Page 90 of 186 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140 ... LastLast
Results 2,226 to 2,250 of 4645

Thread: MOTUC Castle Grayskull Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sword-of-Grayskull View Post
    It's not a reissue of the original. It's the Big Millenium Falcon (or BMF as it's often nicknamed on Rebelscum.Com ... any similarities to certain slang terms are purely coincidental ) with the TRU-exclusive vintage-style packaging. It's $250 of amazing movie accuracy, sounds, lights, and play features ... and Hasbro's quality control. Just food for thought when comparing it with ToyPrototypeOnly!Castle Grayskull.
    It's also $100 more expensive than it was when it was first released a couple of years ago. Just food for thought when comparing it to the Amazing-That-We're-Even-Getting-A-Playset-In-An-Internet-Only-Collector's-Line Castle Grayskull

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Sorry if this has been mentioned (I don't remember reading it, though) but today I was in TRU and saw that they had a Star Wars Millenium Falcon re-issue in it's classic box. It cost... $250. The Millenium Falcon is decently sized, but not huge. Certainly not as big as this sucker is going to be. Just food for thought when thinking about the relative value of Grayskull.
    But the Millennium Falcon is a full-fledged three-dimensional thing, with all the exterior sides and a complete enclosed-but-openable highly-detailed interior space; everything is there, you don't need to imagine it. Whereas MotUC Grayskull is going to be a two-walled fold-out clamshell with no real enclosed interior beyond the "imagine this is the interior even though there's nothing but air on half its sides" fantasy for toddlers. Quite a qualitative difference.
    Last edited by uaxuctum; November 8, 2012 at 01:17am.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Quote Originally Posted by jhoward View Post
    It's also $100 more expensive than it was when it was first released a couple of years ago. Just food for thought when comparing it to the Amazing-That-We're-Even-Getting-A-Playset-In-An-Internet-Only-Collector's-Line Castle Grayskull
    I own the BMF and it's huge. I store it under my bed. I got it on sale at TRU.com for $120.00 over a year ago so i can fully understand why it's $250.00. It's a fantastic piece, working lights & sounds. the gang plank is electronic and opens and closes.

Grayskull will be much larger than the BMF so I have no problem with the $250.00 plus shipping. My total was around $286.00 for my Grayskull preorder and I won't get charged that till december next year if this goes through.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    I've been ignoring these many posts about the Hoverboard but this is the last straw... I have to say something!

I'm amazed how much poo poo this prop is getting. It looks awesome. It has lights, it has sounds. As for the lenticular sticker and that whole pink fur / velcro thing, there are a lot of different props in a movie. Some are for close ups, some are for action scenes etc etc. i.e. there isn't just 'ONE' hoverboard. And from what I believe, Mattel really worked with the people who designed the prop. If fans think they know better than the original craftsmen who actually created the prop, then it's getting a little ridiculous as far as I'm concerned. And if a fan really wanted a hoverboard, why would he change his mind just cause a sticker's missing? People feel so entitled sometimes!!!!
    Ok, I'm going to to be very generous with my response here - far more than this post deserves.

Clearly, you're incredibly confused about what the Hoverboard was. Certainly, as a toy the Hoverboard turned out well. Just one problem here- it was never marketed as a toy, it was marketed as a prop replica. I suggest you familiarise yourself with what prop replicas are, because the fact is that if you genuinely understood what they are and what determines how well or how poorly they are made, you wouldn't have begun such a rant. You might say that you understand the nature of prop replicas, but the very fact that you felt you had to write a post of this nature tells a very different story.

You bring up the lights and sounds - again, great if we're talking about a toy of the Hoverboard, but this was never marketed as a toy during the preorder process; it was marketed as a prop replica. If the movie prop didn't have lights and sounds, then the replica having them is nothing more an extra. Furthermore, if those of us who preordered this particular prop replica because it was a prop replica, were given a choice between movie accuracy and electronic gimmicks, we'd have taken movie accuracy hands down.

Furthermore, while Mattel did have the original materials to work with, the inside word is it that they switched design teams and due to the egos of the new design team, the precise measurements of the initial design (which was shown at NYTF) were discarded and we got something very different indeed. Also, if you actually read up on the Hoverboard you'd know that the underside is inaccurate to every single one of the boards, and that the top of it borrows features from every single board and is accurate to none of them.

Furthermore you've completely ignored the fact that Mattel engaged in blatant fraud and still continues to with regards to the Hoverboard. It wasn't enough for them to screw up the design, which would have merely had people disappointed. When people wanted refunds as Mattel had broken their end of the preorder contract; Mattel tried to force people into a bait and switch - quite literally. That took people from merely disappointed, to anfgry and entirely justifiably so. The only reason that changed was because someone got hold of Mattel's Legal and Compliance team and even then, Mattycollector still try to refuse refunds. In fact the only way refunds seem to be being given, as I discovered firsthand, is if you actually call them up (in my case an international phone call) and threaten legal action if they refuse. If you think that considering that to be unaccceptable is an attitude of "entitlement" then you really need to familiarise yourself with the entire concept of laws and consumer protection.

Why shouldn't people be nervous about preordering considering that? Why shouldn't they want reassurance from Mattel that Castle Grayskull wont be a repeat of the Hoverboard, especially considering how recent the Hoverboard fiasco was and the fact that this twice the outlay of the Hoverboard? Why shouldn't we be less than impressed that when we ask for it, we get canned lines that just fob us off.

I appreciate that you're passionate about Castle Grayskull. So is a part of us which wants to preorder one - if we weren't the logically we wouldn't be frustrated by it. But you can't reasonably be surprised when people who have been nearly scammed by Mattel (quite literally I might add) are really nervous and want reassurances that they wont get stung again before preordering.

Heroic Warrior
    I find it hard to nitpick on 'prop' items. I'm a massive fan of them myself. Personally I like to go for the movie swords. I have a wall full of them.

Honestly, the movie props are never 100% accurate, and a LOT of the hoverboard criticism is PRETTY nit picky when listed out.

That post that was posted in the Toyguru Fence thread listed things that they pulled from a bunch of diffferent boards... Admittedly NOT the route I would have preferred... but no more DISASTEROUS than most of the MOTUC figures. In fact we WANT the 'utlimate' thing that takes the best of all worlds.

The lenticular is a disappointment that's a fact... but when people criticisz the location of the screws on the bottom... that's pretty tough to justify.

Fact remains, that the board they producing has fewer 'inconsistencies' then 80% of the 'movie replicas' in my collection.

Heck... Highlander catalogue used to sell the 'official katana of Duncan macleod'.... which Adrian paul used for just a few practices and didn't LIKE, so NEVER used on camera. STILL being sold as an 'official highlander' sword. And was being sold the whole run, and a few years AFTER.

They sold a few runs of the Macleod Claymore... with the word 'MacLeod' written upside down!!! Thankfully I held out long enough for them to correct THAT error...

Basically when it comes to 'movie accurate' I've grown a pretty thick skin. If I can look at something and it makes smile, I'm happy I bought it.

Grayskull is going to fall into that catagory. I have no doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
    Ok, I'm going to to be very generous with my response here - far more than this post deserves.

Clearly, you're incredibly confused about what the Hoverboard was. Certainly, as a toy the Hoverboard turned out well. Just one problem here- it was never marketed as a toy, it was marketed as a prop replica. I suggest you familiarise yourself with what prop replicas are, because the fact is that if you genuinely understood what they are and what determines how well or how poorly they are made, you wouldn't have begun such a rant. You might say that you understand the nature of prop replicas, but the very fact that you felt you had to write a post of this nature tells a very different story.

You bring up the lights and sounds - again, great if we're talking about a toy of the Hoverboard, but this was never marketed as a toy during the preorder process; it was marketed as a prop replica. If the movie prop didn't have lights and sounds, then the replica having them is nothing more an extra. Furthermore, if those of us who preordered this particular prop replica because it was a prop replica, were given a choice between movie accuracy and electronic gimmicks, we'd have taken movie accuracy hands down.

Furthermore, while Mattel did have the original materials to work with, the inside word is it that they switched design teams and due to the egos of the new design team, the precise measurements of the initial design (which was shown at NYTF) were discarded and we got something very different indeed. Also, if you actually read up on the Hoverboard you'd know that the underside is inaccurate to every single one of the boards, and that the top of it b orrows features from every single board and is accurate to none of them.

Furthermore you've completely ignored the fact that Mattel engaged in blatant fraud and still continues to with regards to the Hoverboard. It wasn't enough for them to screw up the design, which would have merely had people disappointed. When people wanted refunds as Mattel had broken their end of the preorder contract; Mattel tried to force people into a bait and switch - quite literally. That took people from merely disappointed, to anfgry and entirely justifiably so. The only reason that changed was because someone got hold of Mattel's Legal and Compliance team and even then, Mattycollector still try to refuse refunds. In fact the only way refunds seem to be being given, as I discovered firsthand, is if you actually call them up (in my case an international phone call) and threaten legal action if they refuse. If you think that considering that to be unaccceptable is an attitude of "entitlement" then you really need to familiarise yourself with the entire concept of laws and consumer protection.

Why shouldn't people be nervous about preordering considering that? Why shouldn't they want reassurance from Mattel that Castle Grayskull wont be a repeat of the Hoverboard, especially considering how recent the Hoverboard fiasco was and the fact that this twice the outlay of the Hoverboard? Why shouldn't we be less than impressed that when we ask for it, we get canned lines that just fob us off.

I appreciate that you're passionate about Castle Grayskull. So is a part of us which wants to preorder one - if we weren't the logically we wouldn't be frustrated by it. But you can't reasonably be surprised when people who have been nearly scammed by Mattel (quite literally I might add) are really nervous and want reassurances that they wont get stung again before preordering.
    Ok you make a very good point all around on the Hoverboard and I agree with you, BUT Mattel has given those who are not happy with how it turned out the option of cancelling their preorder. Also The Four Horsemen did not sculpt the Hoverboard but they will be Sculpting Castle Grayskulland everything that goes with it so you shouldn't compare the two since the Hoverboard was sculpted in house same as the Ghostbuster Figures. You can't compare Mattel in house to anything the Four Horsemen sculpt because it's Apples & oranges.
    Last edited by mjw41; November 8, 2012 at 01:33am.

Because, according to your complaints about the Hoverboard, there really cannot be a repeat of the Hoverboard fiasco in regards to Castle Grayskull. The Hoverboard is a prop replica, Castle Grayskull is an interpretation based on several incarnations of the castle borrowing mostly from the original prototype. There is no promise that Castle will be and exact replica of anything, therefore, any slight variation in the sculpt or design from the original prototype or even the current blue print, as long as they do not cut anything that we have been promised, will not constitute a break in the contract and most likely will not upset fans like the Hoverboard. Like you said, the Hoverboard would be fine if it was advertised as a toy...Castle Grayskull is being advertised a toy!

I just hope people don't get turned off and choose not to pre-order the castle based off your experience with the Hoverboard, since Castle Grayskull really is a different animal and cannot have the same problem as the Hoverboard.

Yeah, I also don't understand the comparisons with the Hoverboard pre-order fiasco...Castle Grayskull is not going to be, nor is it being marketed as, a movie-accurate prop so any design choices from the 4H are open to artistic license. As long as there's a skull-faced facade and a couple of towers, it's still Castle Grayskull. Mattel's final Hoverboard discrepancies are design issues, not production ones that people fear will happen to Grayskull's final product. I'm pretty sure the Four Horsemen are not going to be replaced halfway during the process on Castle Grayskull...And they do very nice work!

Personally, I don't think reversed parts or black plastic are going to be much of an issue with this special project, either. The castle won't have any points of articulation, save for hinges, and my understanding is that the "Blastic" issue was a defective paint drying technique used on shared parts that were pre-cast to offset the rising production costs against the constant $22 price that was being charged for years.

The main deterrent to pre-ordering that I can see is the aesthetics of Castle Grayskull itself. I feel that the prototype design is cool but not the main design that people envision when they think of the Fortress of Power and Mystery. I think Mattel would've gotten more pre-orders by now if their foam mock-up looked more Filmation-inspired, like this...

IMO, Mattel should've taken the fan's choice concept beyond the box illustration and polled us on which castle design we want the 4H to sculpt. They could put together a couple of B-Sheets for us to choose from. I feel that many more fans would jump on board to such an interactive project and labor of love!

Anyway, I trust the 4H to put together a beautiful castle so I plan on pre-ordering. Let's face it, with the way the action figure market is going, we're probably not getting any true 6"-scale playset ever again. Large figures are fading away and only appearing in singular waves of 4-6 figures total, like TMNT Classics. Even at retail, simple playsets with cardboard backdrops are going for $100+ so only fan support can keep MOTUC going strong when so many other retail licenses are beginning to falter in quality, affordability, or distribution...It's not easy to collect anything, these days!

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    But the Millennium Falcon is a full-fledged three-dimensional thing, with all the exterior sides and a complete enclosed-but-openable highly-detailed interior space; everything is there, you don't need to imagine it. Whereas MotUC Grayskull is going to be a two-walled fold-out clamshell with no real enclosed interior beyond the "imagine this is the interior even though there's nothing but air on half its sides" fantasy for toddlers. Quite a qualitative difference.
    The funny thing is, I feel like this Grayskull WILL be complete. The Grayskull statue is cool and all, and it's fun to see some other sides... I just don't find them necessary any more than I did when I was a kid. To me, I always thought the other side could be the back. Or the side. Whichever. We're going to be getting no less than what we got in the 80s. I get that some people don't feel that way, but I'm SO glad we didn't get some crazy 4-sided monstrosity. This just feels perfect.

With that, I'm going back to lurk mode in this thread. I feel like I've said all that can be possibly said at this point. People will get it or they won't.

We'll see what happens.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    In a nut shell the comparison comes down to Mattel changing their mind after telling you X and give you Y, no matter what.

Look at it from a outside perspective. Imagine this. They tell you it will look like the vintage prototype... the last moment they put a * on the forehead and say its to re-introduce king grayskull's logo into the new cannon. Then because of tooling for the *, they take out the working elevator and the training device is a sticker.

No one really expected the hoverboard to float around or be perfect, despite the Trap and PKE being close to amazing.. we knew it wouldnt be 100 percent. However.... the screws.. fine, thats expected, it has sounds, they could add stickers, whatever. Lenticular, kick pad shape, foot pad is completely new, bottom spacing despite having the original measurements are totally off and no green velcro at all on top. The velcro whatever excuse they gave about marketing it is totally bogus, its was sold as a adult prop, not a toy. So they botched it hardcore. Thankfully thats only 140 bucks. Grayskull is near 300. Never again.
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

That commercial of Pixel Dan and Daniel Benedict is hilarious! Wow! I hope you guys meet again and do more videos and stuff.
    Love the Shadow Beast not fitting into the elevator!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    The funny thing is, I feel like this Grayskull WILL be complete. The Grayskull statue is cool and all, and it's fun to see some other sides... I just don't find them necessary any more than I did when I was a kid. To me, I always thought the other side could be the back. Or the side. Whichever. We're going to be getting no less than what we got in the 80s. I get that some people don't feel that way, but I'm SO glad we didn't get some crazy 4-sided monstrosity. This just feels perfect.
    +1

I do not WANT four sides. I find the idea of them to be unwieldly and unrealistic. As a KID I didn't want 4 sides... I wanted to sit in front of it and move the trapdoor... not reach over a giant wall, stumble and fall on it. At the size that THIS one will be... It's even more insane.,

THREE sides, I would have supported in a 200x fold out fashion... but Four?? Easy pass on THAT. Frankly I do not LIKE the 'new side' of the Icon Heroes version. that little door and the stairs going up from the ledge??? In order for a PERSON to use that door... the drawbridge has to be at LEAST 20' high... Which we KNOW that the drawbridge alone will not be 3 times the height of a figure... throws the whole scale out of whack. It's why I don't like the prototype ledge in the first place.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    That post that was posted in the Toyguru Fence thread listed things that they pulled from a bunch of diffferent boards... Admittedly NOT the route I would have preferred... but no more DISASTEROUS than most of the MOTUC figures. In fact we WANT the 'utlimate' thing that takes the best of all worlds.
    That's just the top - the bottom in terms of the battery pack and magnets is completely inaccurate to every single board out there, so even as an amalgam, it doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    They sold a few runs of the Macleod Claymore... with the word 'MacLeod' written upside down!!! Thankfully I held out long enough for them to correct THAT error...
    There's your difference though. When SDCC hit, several fans told them what needed fixing. Word has it that even Mattel employees were telling the design team what needed fixing - they were effectively dismissed and told to butt out! What makes it more ridiculous is that the original design team had taken the correct measurements and the new design team allegedly discarded them. That's what has many people so annoyed with this - the fact that the design team that we wound up with was more concerned with their own egos than doing their jobs.

What worries me in terms of Castle Grayskull is that Mattel have given us no guarantees that the same thing wont happen here.

Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    Ok you make a very good point all around on the Hoverboard and I agree with you, BUT Mattel has given those who are not happy with how it turned out the option of cancelling their preorder.
    Except that it's become one of those situations where there's a difference between theory and practice. When people contact Digital River either by phone or email, they still try and stonewall and refuse refunds. It's only when you angrily threaten legal action that they cancel the preorders.

Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    Also The Four Horsemen did not sculpt the Hoverboard but they will be Sculpting Castle Grayskulland everything that goes with it so you shouldn't compare the two since the Hoverboard was sculpted in house same as the Ghostbuster Figures. You can't compare Mattel in house to anything the Four Horsemen sculpt because it's Apples & oranges.
    Yes but to draw on the same analogy; you're still talking about fruit growers (Mattel). You're saying this is going to be the 4H, but do we know that for sure? The big issue with the Hoverboard is that they started out with one design team and then gutted it after the preorder period. What guarantee do we have that Mattel wont pull the same stunt on this and pull the Horsemen off this after the preorder period too? That and the costings of this are the two big issues with this preorder.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxieman View Post
    Because, according to your complaints about the Hoverboard, there really cannot be a repeat of the Hoverboard fiasco in regards to Castle Grayskull. The Hoverboard is a prop replica, Castle Grayskull is an interpretation based on several incarnations of the castle borrowing mostly from the original prototype. There is no promise that Castle will be and exact replica of anything, therefore, any slight variation in the sculpt or design from the original prototype or even the current blue print, as long as they do not cut anything that we have been promised, will not constitute a break in the contract and most likely will not upset fans like the Hoverboard. Like you said, the Hoverboard would be fine if it was advertised as a toy...Castle Grayskull is being advertised a toy!
    Except that even the common issue is design and engineering. The big sticking point here and the big worry is that if Mattel pulled a design team that understood the brief and were doing a great job of the prop replica to save costs, then what's to stop them pulling the Horsemen from Grayskull soon after the preorder period on the grounds of cost too.

I'm sure we'd all agree that an in-house designed Castle Grayskull would be vastly inferior to a 4 Horsemen designed Castle Grayskull. Yet when I asked Scott for reassurance that this would be a 4 Horsemen design and that they wouldn't pull the same stunt with the design team that they did with the Hoverboard, I got a canned response that didn't even address the question.

That's a huge sticking point for me right there and about 90% of the reason I wont preorder currently (the other 10% is wanting to know how accurately costed this has been - as clearly the Hoverboard wasn't).

Heroic Razor-Edged Weapon Sword-of-Grayskull's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Anubis View Post
    In a nut shell the comparison comes down to Mattel changing their mind after telling you X and give you Y, no matter what.

Look at it from a outside perspective. Imagine this. They tell you it will look like the vintage prototype... the last moment they put a * on the forehead and say its to re-introduce king grayskull's logo into the new cannon. Then because of tooling for the *, they take out the working elevator and the training device is a sticker.

No one really expected the hoverboard to float around or be perfect, despite the Trap and PKE being close to amazing.. we knew it wouldnt be 100 percent. However.... the screws.. fine, thats expected, it has sounds, they could add stickers, whatever. Lenticular, kick pad shape, foot pad is completely new, bottom spacing despite having the original measurements are totally off and no green velcro at all on top. The velcro whatever excuse they gave about marketing it is totally bogus, its was sold as a adult prop, not a toy. So they botched it hardcore. Thankfully thats only 140 bucks. Grayskull is near 300. Never again.
    Plus Snout Spout's defective snout. Plus Stinkor's forearms. Plus King Hiss's shoulders. Plus Roboto's shoulders. Plus Blastic Gate. Plus Stay Puft's yellowing foam. All of this added to, as bowspearer so thoroughly described, the Hoverboard. Add it all up, and it makes many of us too afraid to drop hundreds of dollars on a product with zero guarantees about final appearance or quality.

Am I complaining that Mattel cannot give as much plastic and as many features as Hasbro can give for the same price? No. That's simply the nature of a huge mass-market like Star Wars versus a limited online market like MotU. Am I complaining that Mattel has not already sculpted the piece before opening preorders? No; I understand this is a costly venture, and no company, no matter what product, would undertake a costly venture without a guaranteed market. What I am complaining about is inferior quality control compared to Hasbro, zero guarantees about the appearance or features of the final product, and lack of incorporation of one of the most famous depictions of the castle in its thirty-year history. Frankly, I don't care about the debate over whether or not the Filmation version is the definitive or most popular version of Grayskull. That is, at best, an academic argument. What I do care about - and what Mattel should have cared about - is that it is the favorite design for a very sizable portion of the fandom, and for that reason alone should have been incorporated into the Classics representation like they did for Bow, Orko, She-Ra, etc. If I have any cash left over this year, will I want to spend it on Hasbro's Millenium Falcon (everything I ever saw in the movies with a lot of fun features), Bandai Tamashii's Super Sentai figures from the S. H. Figuarts line (everything I ever saw in the TV shows), or Mattel's Castle Grayskull (nothing like what I saw in the cartoon)? You do the math. I'm happy for those of you who still want this version of Castle Grayskull, but no amount of cajoling or fan advertising is going to abate my disappointment and fear. Only Mattel can fix that.
    Last edited by Sword-of-Grayskull; November 8, 2012 at 06:33am.
    "I look upon my powers as a gift, not mine alone but for anyone who needs them." (Superman: Peace on Earth)

GO FORWARD. Please support the Christopher Reeve Foundation by purchasing a set of Superman tags at www.ChristopherReeve.org

If nine hundred He-Man.Org members get eaten by Thundercats fans, but neither of them has a toyline, does it still count as a fan movement?

Quote Originally Posted by wundarwarrior View Post
    We have 8 ticks left and 5 days. That is a great sign IMO. I bet on Monday we have the thermometer almost completely full if not full

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    I can't help but think how much money Mattel will be leaving on the table if we don't hit the pre-order number (especially considering the fact that I could easily see us making it if the January date was the new "drop-dead" date.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Heroic Warrior
    I don't think anybody's mentioned this, but they finally have some posts about the castle preorder on the He-Man page on Facebook.

I can't remember if we're allowed to post links to FB or not but here goes:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...4998673&type=1

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    I can't help but think how much money Mattel will be leaving on the table if we don't hit the pre-order number (especially considering the fact that I could easily see us making it if the January date was the new "drop-dead" date.
    If they can't sell the minimum, Mattel could actually be losing money by investing heavily in all the new tooling required but not moving enough units to pay for those costs. I understand what you're saying about selling enough by January which hopefully Mattel would consider if the thermometer is close by Monday.

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    If they can't sell the minimum, Mattel could actually be losing money by investing heavily in all the new tooling required but not moving enough units to pay for those costs. I understand what you're saying about selling enough by January which hopefully Mattel would consider if the thermometer is close by Monday.
    Yeah, the January date was basically the crux of the issue. Although, I'm curious how much potential room for profit they built into the price. If the margin was high enough, they could still concieveably fail to make the preorder number and leave money on the table by cancelling the existing preorders.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Heroic Warrior
    I think with the exception of people with serious money issues; noone is disputing how awesome the Castle could potentially be.

The problem here is where things go from the preorder stage to the final product. Many of us have very recent memories of being promised the world then being screwed over on the Hoverboard and so we're understandably more than a little nervous about the final product.

It would be one thing if Mattel had come out guaranteeing that this will be the Horsemen's baby virtually from start to finish and that they've already talked to the Horsemen and that this has been properly costed and those features listed will be included in at least 95% of their entirety (where the remainder could be offered as pieces in an "add-on kit" if worst came to worst).

Yet we're not getting that. What we're getting are not only canned lines from Scott, but canned lines where Scott hopes this is on par with the disaster that is the Hoverboard. That just does an absolute number on my trust with Mattel.

It's frustrating, because on one hand, I'd love to preorder one, but on the other hand, I'm reminded of the old saying "fool me once; shame on you. Fool me twice; shame on me!" I'm sure I'm not the only one out there who feels that way either....
    This. I remember that is being said, that Vykron's accessories weren't sculpted by the 4HM, but from Mattel's in-house team...well, you clearly see the difference... or, when the 4 HM stopped sculpting Ghostbusters... I don't want to see Mattel's in-house team doing their thing with the castle... So, i'd rather spend that money on LEGO sets, where I got real plastic value for my money ( don't need to say, that my 30 years old, used (!) LEGO knights looks like new, so those toys last a lifetime)...

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by skeletom View Post
    It makes me really wish I had a friend that gave a crap about this stuff!!
    What am I...chopped liver?!

Oh wait...I don't give a crap about anything.

Sorry. Carry on, skele-t...
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; November 8, 2012 at 12:53pm.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    This. I remember that is being said, that Vykron's accessories weren't sculpted by the 4HM, but from Mattel's in-house team...well, you clearly see the difference...
    Waitaminute the WHAT was sculpted by WHAT? WHAT???
    Was this confirmed? When? Where?
    This is outrageous I never would have bought this figure if I had known!
    Awesome sticker included!

Eternian Music Master mikethedrummer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    What am I...chopped liver?!
    Chopped liver doesn't look as good as you do when you post your pixs in the picture pages, duder!
    PS3 contact: InfernoSkeletor
    mikethedrummer's feedback thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=181087

Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull's Heir View Post
    Waitaminute the WHAT was sculpted by WHAT? WHAT???
    Was this confirmed? When? Where?
    This is outrageous I never would have bought this figure if I had known!
    I believe the 4H have shot that rumor down, haven't they?
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by mikethedrummer View Post
    Chopped liver doesn't look as good as you do when you post your pixs in the picture pages, duder!
    Dammit, mikey! Now I got make good on my promise....

Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; November 8, 2012 at 04:28pm.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!