Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KARG + 80s MOTU Magazine = MOTUC???

*batteries not included Captain Atkin's Avatar

KARG + 80s MOTU Magazine = MOTUC???

OK... So I know that Karg never appeared in the mini-comics. He did appear on the cover of a foreign mini-comic, but apparently that doesn't count towards getting a new figure made in MOTUC because he wasn't in the actual comic, and the art was from a Norem poster. I have also heard that his appearance in the Marvel comic doesn't count either.

But what about this? Today at www.motumovie.com, I saw that Sallah had posted a comic panel from the 1980s Masters of the Universe magazine that had an original story with Karg in it! He appears with Blade, Saurod, and Gwildor from the movie in the comic, and is drawn in a Filmation style. Could this comic possibly count towards Karg being made as a MOTUC figure? It's been said before that Strobo, who appeared in the magazine, is a possibility. Couldn't Karg be the same thanks to this?

Last edited by Captain Atkin; September 9, 2010 at 12:32pm.
    "Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another." --- Man-At-Arms

www.hemanworld.com

Elder Councilman
    thank you for making me fear we may now get that look for Gwildor. :P
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

It sure would be great if we could get him! Probably won't happen though.
    Worlds Biggest Meteorb Fan!

Haha, he looks like a stoned mutant monkey troll in these images, hehe. Karg, Blade, and Saurod look good though and I'd be fine with figures based ont hat look. I know that the sculpts would only use these images as a base model, so even Gwildor wouldn't necessarily look exactly like that. No matter how much Mattel say "we can't", they also leave sculpting up to the 4Horsemen. 4Horsemen have been in the game long enough to take a Smurf and tweak it enough so that it looks cool.
    ----------------------------------
    Joe

My G.I.Joe page
    Facebook
    EBAY
    D&J Toys - Display Bases and more!

What exactly IS Karg? I never understood him. He had Trap Jaw's hook, and and looked like an Elizabethan pirate zombie who had been recruited by an 80s hair-band.

I'm not complaining, I actually like him, but I would love to know what his power would have been if he'd been made in the vintage line. For example, Saurod never shot lasers from his mouth in the movie, but his figure "did."

"Find the key (spittle gurgle spittle)! Tear this plasche apart (spittle)!"
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Imp, Filmation Hordak, Sweet Bee, Arrow, NA She-Ra, Spinnerella, Mermista, Gwildor, Tung Lasher, Ninjor, Lizard Man, Dragstor, Huntara, ... and all the other POP & NA characters.

How do they even NOT have the rights to make figures from the movie? Filmation I can sorta understand. But anytime a toy company goes to the trouble of making a movie about one of their properties, they usually do so with the intent to make more toys.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by KingRandor82 View Post
    thank you for making me fear we may now get that look for Gwildor. :P
    That's the first thought I had

Why do they keep saying Skeletor is going "back" to Eternia?

Elder Councilman
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    What exactly IS Karg? I never understood him. He had Trap Jaw's hook, and and looked like an Elizabethan pirate zombie who had been recruited by an 80s hair-band.

I'm not complaining, I actually like him, but I would love to know what his power would have been if he'd been made in the vintage line. For example, Saurod never shot lasers from his mouth in the movie, but his figure "did."

Funny, because to me he looks similar to Lord Vigo from Ghostbusters II after he was weakened to reveal his true form.

He's descibed as being "Bat Like" in a magazine. I love how he's Evil-Lyn's whipping boy in the movie.
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

Elder Councilman
    Quote Originally Posted by adol View Post
    He's descibed as being "Bat Like" in a magazine. I love how he's Evil-Lyn's whipping boy in the movie.
    Bat-like, you say?

So he'd be a great addition to a certain intergalactic empire responsible for the creation of Skeletor?

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar

This is the greatest art showing Karg, and he is pirate bat-man, IMO cooler concept than fireman elephant.

I hope we can get him in MOTUC
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

i so wanna see a Karg figure sometime...

...could end up looking something like this:

Karg

Elder Councilman
    Quote Originally Posted by THE RAW View Post

Karg
    See? I told you he looked like Lord Vigo!

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Hunter View Post

This is the greatest art showing Karg, and he is pirate bat-man, IMO cooler concept than fireman elephant.

I hope we can get him in MOTUC
    y'know, maybe it's the time of day I'm seeing this, maybe it's the position of these three drawings, or maybe it's the way Karg looks in the photo....but another setup completely springs to my mind when I look at the whole thing:

Last edited by KingRandor82; September 8, 2010 at 05:51am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I hope not, if he would get a standard body, he would be horribly out of scale...
    That's like giving Orko, Kowl, Gwildor, etc. a standard body
    Quote Originally Posted by THE RAW View Post

Karg
    http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/a.../Kargsmall.jpg
    MY MOTUC WANTS: Gwildor, Rotar, Mermista, Angella, Peekablue, Spinerella, Perfuma, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Tuskador, Darius, Mara, Kayo, Vizar, Nocturna, Spinwit, Artilla, Saurod, Ninjor, Blast-Attak, Hunga the Harpy, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Twistoid, Dragstor, Imp, Vultak, Multi-Bot, Tung Lashor, Sssqueeeze, Lizorr, Hoove, Critta, Quakke, Butthead, Staghorn

Quote Originally Posted by KingRandor82 View Post
    See? I told you he looked like Lord Vigo!

y'know, maybe it's the time of day I'm seeing this, maybe it's the position of these three drawings, or maybe it's the way Karg looks in the photo....but another setup completely springs to my mind when I look at the whole thing:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3282/...6c56034ed5.jpg
    HA! Country Bear Jamboree... Love it!

*** Please be sure to remove IMG-tags when quoting a message, thank you! ***

Elder Councilman
    Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post
    HA! Country Bear Jamboree... Love it!
    one of the greatest attractions ever...but it's not why I posted the picture; that arrangement just SCREAMED CBJ arrangement...and the way Karg's hair bunched up like a bison...well....it was all there pretty much in my mind

Quote Originally Posted by bamf1980 View Post
    How do they even NOT have the rights to make figures from the movie? Filmation I can sorta understand. But anytime a toy company goes to the trouble of making a movie about one of their properties, they usually do so with the intent to make more toys.
    yeah I don't know what Mattel's legal dept was thinking back then. they should have retained all rights to any characters created for the movie and any other entertainment/licensed product. sounds like a standard clause.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I would like a Karg figure, if Mattel can ever sort out the rights issue, but I want him to have a unique buck, not the standard body, to reflect his unique appearance in all media.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Yeah, when I posted this up last night I was thinking the same thing... I doubt it would be enough to give them the rights to do him, but man it would rock if it did!

Oh, and if they create a plain smaller buck for teenage Adam... Karg would be a great use for it! All that they would need to do is decorate the buck well enough with armor pieces...

Sallah

William Stout described him as being a half-human half-bat creature with bizarre dental tools to do his dirty work. I remember reading that on this site at one time.

*batteries not included Captain Atkin's Avatar
    This comic really makes me wonder if they had planned on releasing Karg in the original toyline. The whole comic is clearly set up to sell toys, and every charcter, creature, and playset (except Karg) is from the toyline. Karg has a great, streamlined look in the comic that would work well for an 80's figure. I also noticed that they don't draw him wearing a cape, which I suspect Mattel would not have given him as a toy, as the long hair might have gotten in the way of a figure wearing it.

Like Strobo from a previous MOTU magazine, I can't help but wonder if this version of Karg was based on concept art for a toy design?
    Last edited by Captain Atkin; September 8, 2010 at 09:05am.
    "Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another." --- Man-At-Arms

www.hemanworld.com

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    While I'd like to see Karg one day, I'll be honest that he isn't high up on my list of immediate wants.

But on a totally different tact... I always thought Castle Grayskull should have been called Castle Greenskull going by it's appearance, but in that comic, it looks like Castle Brownskull
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Quote Originally Posted by davidlogan View Post
    Why do they keep saying Skeletor is going "back" to Eternia?
    They meant the Eternia Tower, were Karg, Saurod and Blade are trapped behind bars, well actually they are trapped in the smaller one at the right, i guess.
    Last edited by Niki; September 8, 2010 at 09:24am.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"