Page 1 of 186 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Castle Grayskull Discussion Thread

Heroic Warrior

MOTUC Castle Grayskull Discussion Thread

UPDATE 4: February 26th Q&A with Scott Neitlich

Also, video measurement of Castle Grayskull prototype

-----------------------------------

UPDATE 3: February 5, 2013 Mattycollector: Teaser Close-Up Of Castle Grayskull!

UPDATE 2: October 26th Q&A with Scott Neitlich!

UPDATE: Price to be $250.
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...m%2F7811077187
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru
    It looks like to avoid cost reducing it we are going to set the price at 250.00. That does not include shipping.

Castle Grayskull Pre-Order Commercial:

---------------------------------

So, through the MOTU franchise of action figures, we've gotten two different Castle Grayskulls. While neither resembled their cartoon counterpart that much, both were worthy to serve as the base of operations for our Masters of the Universe.

Now I know that a MOTUC Castle Grayskull is far off, but i got to thinking about what I would want/expect it to be.

First, I expect that Mattel would be very hesitant to make a 3 or 4 wall Castle. And since 2 walls has never really done a good job of creating the illusion of a complete castle, I thought why not simply produce the front facade of the castle, perhaps with full towers? Although I would prefer a 4 wall castle, that dream doesn't seem realistic, and the 1 wall castle would at least have the advantage of taking up less display space.

So my first question is: would you be ok with a CG that was just the front wall and half or full towers?

My second and third question are basically around size and scale. What size would would you be content with for the MOTUC CG? Personally, I think a MOTUC CG should be at least as large as the 200X one (though larger would be better), since that castle set the bar for size.

Lastly, what size do you THINK the castle would have to be to really be in scale with the line? I know CG has been depicted as different sizes in a lot of mediums, but I'm gonna guess that it would have to be at least 5 ft X 5 ft X 5 ft.

Here are some pics to get your thoughts going:

3 differet store displays. I love the rocky base of the second one. The third one, while not the prettiest sculpt, is awesomely HUGE!

A picture of my FAVORITE MOTU custom (Joe Amaro's CG)
    Last edited by Dead Man Walking; April 21, 2009 at 10:29pm.

Thanks for all the pics.

I don't know if just the front of CG would be good. I am kind of leaning toword something similar to the 2000 lines CG that is kind of thin but still has all the sides.
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

I hold the sword Fisto's Left Hand's Avatar
    I think having 200X size and construction(thin front, with thin folding sides) and vintage styling would be what I'd like to see.
    Our goal is to make sure all MOTU collectors can get these new figures.
    -What the Fans Want to Know Round 3

Good trades: JohnnyTyler, tattoojunkie74

Heroic Warrior
    twice the size of the 200X version..

but you have to buy the front for 99.99.. and the 'wall peices' and rear seperate for another 49.99 Each

(but they come w/ diorama parts..)

like the little trail... (as in the last pics)

Why not a "build a set"? One wall every month, 3 walls all together? It would keep costs down a bit. First month, CG's front. Second, one side, third, another side. Quantities available for several months to give people time and a chance to get the parts. After that, floor plates, and accessories for it. I think 2 interior levels is enough, like the original Castle toy had. A top exterior third level would be cool too.

Bow Wow Wow, Who owns that HUGE Grayskull?
    Somebody here?!

WOW!
    Armageddon will soon be here,
    the sinners will meet their fate.
    But I am calm and without fear,
    as I feed upon my hate.

I always wanted a 1/1 scale Castle Grayskull. So if they will be doing Castle Grayskull anyway, 1/1 would be the thing to do

Some place between boredomness and stability
    200X-2nd version's size is about perfect -just measured it. If they could manage to adapt the vintage-style skull to those dimensions, it would be totally awesome. But if they only do the front, wouldn't it be the same as a diorama for that matter?

If the line keeps this pace up to 2011, a CG is not such a farfetched idea. Unless they make it a SDCC exclusive.

I like Joe's castle size the best, and hope they can hit something in that range.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

It`s something TG said would only be done of the line hits retail

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    It`s something TG said would only be done of the line hits retail
    Toyguru's plans change all the time due to changed factors. Especially if more people are buying MOTUC figures. Beastman sales in 41 days compared to Mer-Man's in one hour speaks volumes.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Toyguru's plans change all the time due to changed factors. Especially if more people are buying MOTUC figures. Beastman sales in 41 days compared to Mer-Man's in one hour speaks volumes.
    True enough, but I`d much rather see new fully sculpted figures such as Ramman and Man E faces I don`t have room for a full castle, so if they do one, I`d like to see at least the front of it

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    True enough, but I`d much rather see new fully sculpted figures such as Ramman and Man E faces I don`t have room for a full castle, so if they do one, I`d like to see at least the front of it
    The line has grown so much, we're seeing vehicles and animals...things that used to have the "wait and see" status. I'd think this stuff would be in addition to the monthly figure.

Personally, they should give the castle to us in parts. Like a new side every six months.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Loves MOTUC canon! PaTrIcKfOgArTy's Avatar
    For another size comparison here is the custom I made that was about 6 feet tall and 4 feet wide. It was just the front and an opening door. I had it in the basement when I moved and it ended up being destroyed.

Though liked the size I don't see Mattel ever making anything that big.

To answer the questions asked, I would be perfectly fine with just the front wall and FULL towers. I'd prefer it be at a minimum the height of the 200x toy BUT I also deep, not so thin. I liked the dimensions of the classic toy with the rocks, jutting out jaw and actual skull sockets. To be in scale with MOTUC I would think it would need to be at least 6 feet tall by 5 or 6 feet wide. Design wise I would like it skewed more classic then 200x in design. I like the darker, scary almost look over the geometric style of 200x.

Last edited by PaTrIcKfOgArTy; April 22, 2009 at 11:56am.

Heroic Warrior
    ^^^ Wow, that is cool! Looking at it, I think you're right, it would have to be 6 feet tall or more to be in proper scale. So sorry it got destroyed. What did you make it out of?

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Man Walking View Post
    ^^^ Wow, that is cool! Looking at it, I think you're right, it would have to be 6 feet tall or more to be in proper scale. So sorry it got destroyed. What did you make it out of?
    Thanks - yeah, sorry the picture isn't the greatest, it looked better in person. I made it out of foam project board (it's base and the basic shape) then I used Crayola clay (this clay is very light) and sculpted each brick one at a time as well well as the skull and jaw bridge and glued it all together with Gorilla glue. Then I painted it. It took me about 3 months - an hour or two a day.

I LOVE the size of the pic you posted with the giants in the doorway and Skeletor in the window. I also love how it's deep and not so flat. If only it were a little less "toy" looking and more detail like the classic toy. Very cool though - whoever owns that is one lucky person!

I know the odds right now of a Grayskull coming is slim.
    I know it's been said that it could be a retail only thing.

Regardless, this line needs one, be it Mattel making one that suits my preference? Or me making my own? I MUST have a Castle Grayskull for the best MotU line ever!

Feeling a little more like than right now...
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

i'd love a castle the size of the one patrick posted but realistically i'd say slightly larger than what we got for the 2002 line.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Gotta say, I really love the first pic in the first post of both Grayskull's together - GREAT shot!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Amberbratt View Post
    twice the size of the 200X version..

but you have to buy the front for 99.99.. and the 'wall peices' and rear seperate for another 49.99 Each
    I would be down with that, but I have a feeling that Mattel wouldn't feel comfortable selling "Left Wall" by itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    Bow Wow Wow, Who owns that HUGE Grayskull?
    Somebody here?!
    IDK. I found the picture here: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...logspot.com%2F. Maybe the site owner knows more. He says there are only 3 in the world. Let us know if you find out more info.

I would be down with that, but I have a feeling that Mattel wouldn't feel comfortable selling "Left Wall" by itself.
    IDK. I found the picture here: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...logspot.com%2F. Maybe the site owner knows more. He says there are only 3 in the world. Let us know if you find out more info.
    Hey, yeah I The Castle Grayskull Blog is something I created and manage. I did as much research as I could on the large display and basically was only able to verify that three exist in private collections. There may be more but I have yet to ever uncover anything substantial about this very rare store display.

If anyone has any Castle Grayskull info they'd like to share send it my way via a PM and I'll post it up for content on the blog!

Heroic Warrior
    ^^^Awesome; I didn't know it was your site. Do you have any other pictures of it?

^^^Awesome; I didn't know it was your site. Do you have any other pictures of it?
    No, unfortunately not. Can you imagine seeing some MOTUC figures with it!

Anyway, here is a great site that I found that has some info and the original pics.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...e%2Findex.html

Quote Originally Posted by vhwebstor View Post
    200X-2nd version's size is about perfect -just measured it.

I thought that the only differences in the 1st and 2nd version's of the 200X CG was that the "Action Chip" feature was replaced with a button that activated the light and sound effects, and that the color of the Power Sword was changed from silver to gold.

Was the 2nd version of the 200X CG actually larger scale than the 1st version?

Quote Originally Posted by starbasetoys View Post
    I thought that the only differences in the 1st and 2nd version's of the 200X CG was that the "Action Chip" feature was replaced with a button that activated the light and sound effects, and that the color of the Power Sword was changed from silver to gold.

Was the 2nd version of the 200X CG actually larger scale than the 1st version?
    No, the second version of the 200x was not any larger then the 1st release of it. Also the crest on the door of version 2 was painted a bronze color, not just brown like the 1st release.