Page 117 of 186 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119127167 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,925 of 4645

Thread: MOTUC Castle Grayskull Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    (laughter ensues).
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

The castle was hyped to the max and I understand you have to pitch this, but Mattel should have measured fans expectations. Fans are not privy to their marketing meetings or flow charts.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I laughed when I wrote that transcription, too.

Quote Originally Posted by jegoing View Post
    The castle was hyped to the max and I understand you have to pitch this, but Mattel should have measured fans expectations. Fans are not privy to their marketing meetings or flow charts.
    True. Also, I think nothing should be cut (because TG said nothing would be cut MANY times), plus as of November 13th, 2012, the minimum to go into production was EXCEEDED! The pre-order period was opened until January 4th (the thermometer was not updated since Nov 13th, so we don't know how many were sold) and Mattel has re-opened pre-orders at a higher price point ($250).

If, for some reason, it's costing Mattel more now, they really should eat that cost. In that video, TG said they made it $250 (instead of $200) for that wiggle room, promised nothing would get cut numerous times, and they sold more than required. I don't understand where any problems would be coming from. The Mattel team specifically drew the blueprints and costed it out, to make sure it would be in budget. *shrugs* I just don't get it.

Last edited by Darkspecter; February 14, 2013 at 07:28pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Warrior
    Honestly... I'm about 80% in favor of 'the reverse side' of the front. You are still getting some of the detils from the front side... and the curvy walls have a lot more personality than the the smooth block insides...

HOWEVER... Looking a the original... I'm not sure How or where they would be able to attached that power sword shield plaque if the throne room is all skull shaped.

The size doesn't bother me. It really looks about the same size as the foam one we were shown. He-man's shown standing in front of it... but his feet are BELOW the 'stone base'... and the door is only 1/8 of an inch thick... the ACTUAL Jawbridge is much thicker, so he loses a little headroom... I can accept that.

My disappointments are...

1) No elevator Gargoyle. I always loved that little guy.

2) I don' t like the 'raised floor'... There's no reason that the first floor has to sit up that 1/4 inch or whatever to match with the with the base outside.... I see all those little pegs underneath as cheap and easily breakable. Hopefully the reality is better then my imagination, because I would Really have rather it just be like the original when you open it up.

3) Wind Raider perch.. Just dumb. I dont' see anyway this is going to be useful. I think the ONLY reason that pie piece is necessary is because of the 'step up' from point 2...

All those are minor nitpicks that I'm sure the reality will be just awesome... Number 4 however really annoys me...

4) Trap door not aligned with dungeon. Seriously... What the HECK?!?! That's just a basic concept there. Really just basic trap door design!!! Floor opens... bad guy falls in dungeon.

An interesting point of note (looking at stuff from October 2012), a lot of people were excited about He-Man riding Battle Cat through the entrance of Castle Grayskull and some were freaking out, thinking it wouldn't happen. I didn't realize there was so much talk about it back then. I guess it's not so surprising that it's THE hot button issue right now.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kelly Edmonds' video of the Castle Grayskull presale announcement detail/blue prints. Castle Grayskull info starts @ 20:47.

- TG said the $250 price tag was to "have enough wiggle room to put enough into it." Hoping to put more into it, but you're NOT going to see less. Toyguru repeats, multiple times and EMPHASIZES that we will NOT get less than what's shown in the blueprints. He was very insistent on this.
    - "Will there be decals?" Toyguru answer: "I think we're going to actually sculpt everything, like the Wind Raider." (lots of cheering and clapping occurs). Translation - demon grate in blue prints was NEVER a sticker. Interesting point of note, Ruben and his team drew up the blueprints based on notes from 4H, so the playset could be costed out. So...they knew about the grate, because that work was all done in-house by Mattel.
    - Playmat (the moat thing) is NOT included, but they're looking into ways of including it, like a cut-out in the packaging.
    - "...at MINIMUM, this is what you're going to get. So, you can see the dimensions are called out..."
    - "The original Castle goes up to about the eye balls of this one. So, that's how big this thing is. I mean, you're going to need a new room." (laughter ensues).

I officially give up on trying to find the quote about the Castle walls interior though. Sorry guys.

That's awesome! It's nice to have proof in a video. We aren't really that stupid. Who really believes that everything was going to be sculpted except for the dungeon? There was no way that was going to be a sticker, and I will feel insulted if I get that as a sticker sheet in the box.
    Keep The "Classicized" 200x Heads in MOTUC!

Matty Savings For the Year because of No DOS Purchases: $210

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    1) No elevator Gargoyle. I always loved that little guy.
    He's actually still there. He's sculpted onto the wall now, though. I'll look for a pic.

EDIT: Beside Roboto, over the little window:

I also just want to make it clear (in case it's not): I LOVE the new, MOTUC Castle Grayskull. I think it will be the BEST Castle Grayskull released thus far, that's made for figures (that Icon Heroes one is pretty darn cool...sad I missed out on Mark's pre-order ). Anyway, I'm only concerned with figures barely fitting on the levels, entrance and the VERY tiny dungeon. I hope something can be done to size those areas properly. She-Ra 1.0's toy mask, when covering her eyes, makes her about 1/2 an inch taller than He-Man, for example. No way she'll fit anywhere in the Caste, except for the top level.

Dropping the floor so it's flush with the ground and maybe making the wooden floors a tiny bit thinner would work. For the entrance, the piece under the door could be removed, so when the door opens, it's also flush with the ground. That would add height, but would require re-sculpting part of the door (it would be too short).

I'm sure SOMETHING can be done to address these issues. I don't think it's an unreasonable request to be able to display most of our figures in and around the Castle, without having to worry about putting them in weird poses so their heads can fit. I have complete faith in the Four Horsemen regarding the Castle. I just hope Mattel will allow something to be done.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; February 14, 2013 at 07:52pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

The dungeon walls are really impractical. It's like the size of a phone booth. Just like the 200X Castle Grayskull dungeon was really just a mid-chest high fence. The whole idea should have been scrapped. But then a whole different set of fans would be losing their minds.

Even with the original castle, it was pretty silly how the trap door just dumped you down to the front door. I know you were supposed to use your imagination and that the figure actually fell through that sticker, but still.

If the fully 3D sculpted grate was included in all its fully painted glory, and the first time figures were dropped down the trap door and they landed on it and chipped off parts and scuffed up the paint, what would the board freakout have looked like? I'm almost sad that we'll never know.
    Last edited by hadley; February 14, 2013 at 07:55pm.

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    Just like the 200X Castle Grayskull dungeon was really just a mid-chest high fence.
    You mean the playpen of doom?

It does hold a lot of figures though!

The whole idea should have been scrapped. But then a whole different set of fans would be losing their minds.
    I'm glad it's not scrapped, I love having a REAL dungeon for once. It could be made to look more proportionate by making the barred door go from top-to-bottom (would require removing the skull and crossbones) and the window could be made smaller, and moved to the top as well. I highly doubt that will happen (because it requires re-sculpting), but it COULD be fixed if Mattel wants to fix it.

Even with the original castle, it was pretty silly how the trap door just dumped you down to the front door. I know you were supposed to use your imagination and that the figure actually fell through that sticker, but still.
    I loved that as a kid (same with Snake Mountain), but one thing that always upset me, was my figures couldn't stand on that spot. They would ALWAYS fall through the floor, even if I didn't want them to.

If the fully 3D sculpted grate was included in all its fully painted glory, and the first time figures were dropped down the trap door and they landed on it and chipped off parts and scuffed up the paint, what would the board freakout have looked like? I'm almost sad that we'll never know.
    That would be a concern I hadn't thought of.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; February 14, 2013 at 08:56pm.

Does the trap door even drop people into the dungeon? It seems like the trap door is too far over? I do agree that the dungeon walls seem a little impractical and strange because the door is so small and low. I love the concept... just not sure about the execution.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Does the trap door even drop people into the dungeon? It seems like the trap door is too far over? I do agree that the dungeon walls seem a little impractical and strange because the door is so small and low. I love the concept... just not sure about the execution.
    It doesn't send characters to the dungeon. It sends them back to the front door. TG said it wouldn't be changed. It's kind of like snakes and ladders, Castle Grayskull edition.

Last edited by Darkspecter; February 14, 2013 at 09:04pm.

If the sculpted dungeon grate was included, where would it go? Inside the dungeon booth? That's where it seems to be on the b-sheet, but that was drawn up before they conceived of the dungeon walls (presumably as a concession once they realized that the grate would be too expensive to paint). I imagine it'd have been like the computers and stuff and you could theoretically put it anywhere, but now I'm curious.

I found door dimensions:

3. Will the Power Sword unlock the Jawbridge and what is the exact dimension of the main doorway?

The doorway is about 8.4 inches tall and 5.3 inches wide. At this point we don't know if the sword will physically will unlock the door but we hope at least it will fit into a slot next to the door to have fantasy play of using it as a "key".
    http://www.he-man.org/news_article.php?id=2989

Quite a few foam model pics:

http://www.he-man.org/news_article.php?id=3028

EDIT:

I didn't know what Toyguru was referring to when he was talking to Pixel-Dan about the Shadow Beast going down the elevator. I have NO idea how I missed this video. I figured it's appropriate to post again, since the pre-orders are open until March 4th again ($275 now, though).

http://www.mattycollector.com/DRHM/s...ctID=272444500
    Last edited by Darkspecter; February 14, 2013 at 08:35pm.

Wasn't the original dungeon (not B-sheet, the concept sketch/prototype picture that got posted somewhere on the forum that I'm too lazy to look for) meant to be a stand-alone playset for the inside of the vintage castle? Or am I wrong? It's not that I have a problem including it, but since they decided to shrink the outside dimensions of the castle and didn't seem to adjust the inside dimensions to account for it, it doesn't work as well as it was meant.
    Classics TGR figures should be Filmation-based, but they NEED MORE COWBELL!

Quote Originally Posted by Nekk-ra View Post
    Wasn't the original dungeon (not B-sheet, the concept sketch/prototype picture that got posted somewhere on the forum that I'm too lazy to look for) meant to be a stand-alone playset for the inside of the vintage castle? Or am I wrong? It's not that I have a problem including it, but since they decided to shrink the outside dimensions of the castle and didn't seem to adjust the inside dimensions to account for it, it doesn't work as well as it was meant.
    There was a dungeon playset designed for MOTU in the 80's. It was shown in the Power & Honour book. It's pretty darn cool.

EDIT: Tomart had it too.

Last edited by Darkspecter; February 14, 2013 at 08:59pm.

Hey guys... just as an aside. A good friend of mine was actually at the show and he's very critical of everything MOTUC (which is to say that he's a cherry picker and only gets the figures that come out awesome). However, he said that in person Castle Grayskull is intimidating, very large, and looks incredible. If you didn't put the original foam mockup beside the preliminary sculpt you wouldn't notice that it was an inch shorter. He actually said he wouldn't want it any bigger. He didn't order one orginally because he wasn't sure how it would look but he's getting one now. This is enough for me to be very happy with how Grayskull is coming along.

- Man oh man... almost too many to mention. Exterior sculpt. Tectured floors. Dungeon. Spacesuit. etc. etc.

My wishlist:
    - Sculpted or rough interior walls. Not a huge fan of the smooth look.
    - Throne to be located in the middle of the second floor so as not to block the secret passage.
    - The plug for the Windraider is unnecessary. I think you could get rid of that entire green floor.

Very happy and cannot wait for this to be sent to me.

I think nothing should be cut (because TG said nothing would be cut MANY times), plus as of November 13th, 2012, the minimum to go into production was EXCEEDED! The pre-order period was opened until January 4th (the thermometer was not updated since Nov 13th, so we don't know how many were sold) and Mattel has re-opened pre-orders at a higher price point ($250).

If, for some reason, it's costing Mattel more now, they really should eat that cost. In that video, TG said they made it $250 (instead of $200) for that wiggle room, promised nothing would get cut numerous times, and they sold more than required. I don't understand where any problems would be coming from. The Mattel team specifically drew the blueprints and costed it out, to make sure it would be in budget. *shrugs* I just don't get it.

http://news.mattycollector.com/wp-co...you_did_it.jpg
    I completely agree that they should eat the cost. They laid out a price point, then a higher one to ensure nothing gets cut, they set a goal, and exceeded the goal. A lot of things were promised, although they had the "anything is subject to change" on the preorder, so they can get away with it.
    In any case, either incompetence or flat-out dishonesty were at play from the beginning. I say this as someone who is overall very happy with the Castle, and its size. It's a work of art. But a few things have been cut, and any talk of cutting other things due to cost is simply outrageous.

A couple of things I noted and desired based on what we saw at TF...

1. PLEASE include a plug for the Wind Raider stand port! If we don't want to display the Wind Raider in the Castle, I really don't want a big hole in the floor!

2. Is it possible to drop some holes in the raised floor of the castle for pegs from the figure stands? That way we can display figs with the stand pegs! Maybe add holes in the floor in a couple of spots too! If TG had to use blue sticky-tack to keep figs from falling down (inside the castle), maybe adding spots for pegs will keep us from having to do the same!

3. Watch the slant of the 3rd level on the side/back section of the castle (where Orko) was displayed. It looked like the floor of that level was tilted at an angle.

Just my 2¢. I hope TG and Mattel read this thread!
    Take it easy,
    Drew

Looking for: deals on MOTUC Roboto, King He-Man, Meckaneck, Zoar (from Sorceress) and more!
    Have to trade: A couple MOTU vintage, GIJOE (vintage 3.75 inch and 25th Anniversary figures and vehicles), Star Wars, Transformers (movie line), and Marvel Universe and a few Marvel Legends, plus MORE!.

darthdrew13's B/S/T

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    - The elevator must have plugs usables with the figures feet.
    - The hole for Wind Rider in the ground is useless. Better a landing pad on the Point Dread turreon.
    - I love to see the vintage little gargoyle as a item in their own.
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

Instead of a sticker couldn't the demon grate be relief sculpted into the floor? (maybe even instead of the Wind Raider landing pad/Grayskull living room)
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Seems like the 2 flights of stairs (one leading to the ledge and one leading to the third floor) were also scrapped. Same goes for the 2 little shields at the entrance.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    So the doorway is 8.4" tall? But is that when the jawbridge is down? The bridge's thickness takes up part of the bottom of the doorway, so the actual clearance may be less. If the jawbridge and hinge take up 2", then He-Man's head may actually be scraping the teeth when he's in it. I wish there were a straigh on pic with a figure actually in the doorway space to judge by.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    the trap door is suppose to drop them on that demon gate thing, not sure what it will do with this CG though
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    I'm really disappointed with the castle's size. I'm convinced Toyguru and the 4 horsemen are doing their utmost to deliver the best castle they can produce and must be bound by rigid budgetary constraints, and I'm really happy we're getting this playset, but still, I wish something could be done to keep the scale up. I for one would be happy to pay an extra 50 bucks to have the right scale. Hopefully they can find a fix before the toy is made. Here are comparison pictures with the original Toyguru video with the cardboard blueprint. As you can see, the secret chamber underneath the dome was actually the height of a figure. Now it looks like it's designed for a 3 inch scale, Star wars type figure. This can't be right and it seems to indicate that we're not talking about an inch or two but A LOT MORE! In fact I'd love to see the Prototype next to the cardboard blue print.

Screen shot 2013-02-15 at 09.22.33.png

yskull-14_1360529931.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    I'm really disappointed with the castle's size. I'm convinced Toyguru and the 4 horsemen are doing their utmost to deliver the best castle they can produce and must be bound by rigid budgetary constraints, and I'm really happy we're getting this playset, but still, I wish something could be done to keep the scale up. I for one would be happy to pay an extra 50 bucks to have the right scale. Hopefully they can find a fix before the toy is made. Here are comparison pictures with the original Toyguru video with the cardboard blueprint. As you can see, the secret chamber underneath the dome was actually the height of a figure. Now it looks like it's designed for a 3 inch scale, Star wars type figure. This can't be right and it seems to indicate that we're not talking about an inch or two but A LOT MORE! In fact I'd love to see the Prototype next to the cardboard blue print.

Screen shot 2013-02-15 at 09.22.33.png

yskull-14_1360529931.jpg
    If you compare the size of the parapets from the mock-up to the proto-type, it's blatantly clear how significant the reduction really is.

I wouldn't object to toss out all the accessories if we could get a castle that was in the promised scale. We can always get those later.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    the trap door is suppose to drop them on that demon gate thing, not sure what it will do with this CG though
    Oh, yes, I understood that with the old Castle. I was talking about the new one.