Page 23 of 186 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Castle Grayskull Discussion Thread

Nope. $100-$150 would be my max.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

It would have to be the Grayskull to end all Grayskulls - but because I doubt they could do that i'd say no.

200 - 300 ?? no way n no thanks.

$125 would be my limit (with usa shipping) and the castle better be bad ass with lots of cool stuff in it
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

$150 would be my limit, but it would have to be a whole, four sided castle with tons of trap doors and accessories for that much.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    $150 is reasonable. $300 if it has door bridge with sound, throne for the Sorceress, mirror portal gateway thing , library & lots of space inside.
    All that I care about is how it looks on the outside & that its in good scale yet doesn't take up to much room in the house.

Nope, never.
    $100 is the most I'm willing to pay. not a cent more.
    Fictional characters are just that. Fictional. They have no personality or free will of their own.
    Writers and editors mold them to their own wants and needs.
    All we as the audience and fans can do is pick and choose our favorite interpretation and ignore the rest.

200-300 dollars actually sounds pretty close to the correct price. theres a lot to consider when making something this size, and its not just that item alone.

the molds, the materials, wages, the resources. i havent seen mattel's annual report, but im sure it's similar to most other older companies in that the bulk of their revenues goes to their expenses. i wouldnt get tricked into thinking mattel is making money hand over fist, businesses have A LOT of expenses.

ok, for anyone interested, lets see what we got:

2009 Net Sales (in thousands): 5,430,846

2009 Cost of Sales (Cost of resources): 2,716,149

2009 Net Income: 528, 704

Looks good, but when you consider how many people work for mattel, and how big that company, and the required amount of money that legally MUST be kept in the company. then you factor in the dividends, its tough business being a toy company. i know this is a bit much, but i just wanted to at least defend their pricing a little. i get why its 200-300 dollars.
    Last edited by victoryleo19; November 9, 2010 at 05:57pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    It really is a moot point for non US collectors, because if its done in the right scale its still gonna cost a bomb to have it posted!

Ive collected Via the net for many years and the most expensive item -Postage wise- Ive EVER gotten was the base of Eternia.
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Given the size that Castle Grayskull would have to be to accommodate MOTUC figures, I'm not surprised at that price. That said, if I had that much money to spend on one item there are tons of vintage 80's toys I'd rather spend the money on.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

You also have to factor in that Mattel is employing the highest level of talent for this scale as opposed to just going in-house like they did in the '80s.

I'd pay a premium for a 4H Castle Grayskull. Backdrop or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Staff Of Ka View Post
    It really is a moot point for non US collectors, because if its done in the right scale its still gonna cost a bomb to have it posted!

Ive collected Via the net for many years and the most expensive item -Postage wise- Ive EVER gotten was the base of Eternia.
    Well that sucks. You international folks could really use a shipping discount.
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

When in doubt, buy toys! KalesDad's Avatar
    For me, it of course depends on the sculpt, but really? I think I'd pay $150 - $175 for it. You see big stuff like Millenium Falcon, AT-AT, and even the bigger Imaginext playsets going for $100 or slightly higher - max.

But... if it was $200, yeah, I'd buy that for my Boy! Of course the sculpt is gonna be great, but if I can do for myself exactly what I want for way cheaper (which would be a vintage/Filmation design), then I may pass, especially if it's too 200x.
    Great B/S/T'ers: Slayor, Blue Monkey, no_frills_inc, the80sdrummer, Super He-Man, loadzone, Troy-Klops, Son of Keldor, soundwavempl, masterenglish, Mern-Ra, and gl28141!

My .org Feedback, and My Ebay For Sale!

Companies don't announce something then release it straight away, they wait a good amount of time so the price of Grayskull is of no concern.

I know I will have the money for it from the announcement to the release. My only concern is room. I can make it happen but money is a lot easier replaced than room is

I like the idea of the castle being made in sections. I also think another way around paying the total cost in one hit would be to put CG as part of the subscription. You pay a bit extra each month, $20-25, and get a CG at the end of the subscription year

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Staff Of Ka View Post

He's telling the truth! I bought a big lot of magazines, tin, cards and game pieces from Australia and it cost $100 to ship to Canada and 4-6 months to arrive! The faster shipping was $30-50 more. The time-wait was because I took the cheapest option...which must be putting it in a rubber dingy and kicking it towards Canada. Our mail is like that too.

Canada to Canada Eternia shipping was also outrageous, but not $100 outrageous. I think it was anywhere from $60-80. It came slightly damaged as well, so Canada Post gave me something like $150 back!

Anyway, yeah. I would want to pay $100 for Grayskull.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Darkspecter, that is so slow it sounds like someone strapped your package to the back of a Koala!

I can't remember what it cost to ship my Eternia from the US but it was a lot - that much I remember! Think I paid for faster shipping. Package arrived in good condition. Just a pity the sky-rails are so brittle, breaking off as trying to snap into place.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Master of Time & Space Jedi_Master_Jeremy's Avatar
    I'd go for something in the $200 price range fairly easy. If it got up to $300, that would be pushing it for me. At $300 I think a lot of these would sit on the shelves until a price reduction was forced on them. I like to buy two of everything so if Mattel could keep my bill at or around $450 to $500 for two I could probably go with it but I would draw back to one if it cost more than that.
    It's all about being polished when it counts!

It realy depends what it looks like. Grayskull for that price would need to be big, imposing and detailed. It would need to look like $300.

If it's a stunner, then sure I would. Silly question.
    In any given year, I waste money on stuff I don't really want or need. We all do, I'm sure.
    So, I'd much rather spend that on something I really want, if not really need.
    Like Grayskull.

It's the equivalent value of 10 figures. (with shipping) I'd swap 10 Motuc figures for an awesome Castle Grayskull any day.

IF the castle was extremely well constructed I'd cave in for the $200-ish price tag, BUT it must:
    -Not look like a hollow shell of the outside on the inside. (adding an inner shell to the outer shell so the inside looks sculpted.)
    -Have a Killer paintjob inside and out. No plain chunks of unpainted plastic. If there's a piece of a sword sculpted on the floor (like there is on the 200X CG) it better be painted to look like a sword and not be in the same color as the floor... (I don't want a sword sculpted on the floor. that was an example.) Rivets on the wood must be painted, etc. Bonus points if they add GITD paints to some areas like the dungeon.
    -The Jawbridge must be Large enough for He-Man to ride Battlecat inside. For those who want to display their CG with He-Man and BC coming out of CG to defend it.
    -Compatibility with the MOTUC Point Dread AND the MOTUC Battle Stations (in open and closed modes.) IF AND WHEN they're released. (Would they qualify as small/Medium Dioramas?)
    -3D plastic versions of the vintage cardboard stuff.

-Modular interior mini dioramas. Not everyone will have their castle in "opened up I'm an Adult toy, yet kids can use me as a playset" thing that Mattel is most likely to go for. Modular Interior mini dioramas is the answer.(I'd prefer 100% sculpted plastic, but I could accept a combination of plastic and cardboard for the walls on these to keep the costs a tad lower.) That way they can be displayed outside of CG while the main castle is in "Closed mode" These could include:

The Room of Power: Where King Grayskull's Super Ball! is kept. There could be a stone pedestal to place the Sword of He and it's Magical clone.
    The Hall of Ancient He-Men: Like the room with the KG Statues from MYP Just make Special stands different from the standard "Grayskull stands" for certain Heroic Men of the past (Like KG, He-ro, Vikor, Wun-Dar, etc.) Kinda like Cake Stands with a Castle Grayskull Motif (Stands could be resellable on mattycollector.com)
    Interdimensional Space and time Gateway: Now that Etheria, Preternia, and Primus are ALL in the same canon we'd need a room that could access these worlds.

Mattel could expand on these through Matty... (Ditto on the other possible playsets like Snake Mtn., Crystal Castle, Fright Zone, etc.)
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Heroic Warrior
    many have shelled out $150-200 for a king grayskull/bronze grayskull so its pretty certain theyd get plenty to purchase a big playset

REMAINING MOTUC FOR 2015 synthalus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hordeall View Post
    many have shelled out $150-200 for a king grayskull/bronze grayskull so its pretty certain theyd get plenty to purchase a big playset
    Not that many people at all actually.
    Maybe like 200 people tops which is like 0.5% of all the fans...

Quote Originally Posted by Spikewolfe View Post
    I'd buy it for sure, but Mattel's idea of MOTUC scale worries me. Their idea of MOTUC scale and my idea of MOTUC scale sure didn't match up with Tytus, Zoar, or Screeech.
    Exactly! Tytus is way smaller than his vintage release!
    To scale Tytus should actually be a lot bigger since the vintage figures where a lot smaller.
    What is that going to tell us?

If we would get the ultimate Castle Grayskull, there is this one thing that it needs to make it the best ever...
    The door opening should be able to fit He-Man riding Battle Cat, which is 10" high.

Ideally the Castle is 2x taller than the door so the playset should be 30" (2.5 feet) tall.
    That is the correct scale the majority is waiting for and I highly doubt we're getting that, even for a crazy $300...

My guess is we would get the same scale as the 200X Castle (22" / 1.8 feet) in vintage style...
    Last edited by synthalus; November 10, 2010 at 09:52am.
    MY MOTUC WANTS: Gwildor, Rotar, Mermista, Angella, Peekablue, Spinerella, Perfuma, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Tuskador, Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Nocturna, Spinwit, Artilla, Saurod, Ninjor, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Twistoid, Hunga the Harpy, Dragstor, Vultak, Multi-Bot, Blast-Attak, Tung Lashor, Sssqueeeze, Lizorr, Hoove, Critta, Quakke, Butthead, Staghorn
    => MOTU-Classics-Checklist <=

Size wise I think 40" is exactly the size it needs to be. The door should be 12", so He-Man, while riding Battle Cat, can still swing a weapon above his head.

I've taken a few pictures from my own attempt and still WIP CG
    Pictures aren't the best, I know, the table is a mess and the figures are posed badly. It's just to show how CG looks in the above mentioned scale.

I'm currently making the turret (almost finished, just need to assemble the parts) and I'm trying to make the jawbridge. Wasn't happy with the first 3 attempts, while using Milliput and Magic Sculp. Want to try Super Sculpey Firm now, but the stuff I ordered didn't show up yet.

As for Mattels CG... I don't need a playset, no traps or dungeons, just the castle front, done by the 4 horseduders and in the right scale. This shouldn't be to hard to accomplish for just under $ 125,-

The rest of the castle, like the other walls, dungeons, rooms, etc. could be sold as separate diorama pieces.

I know a lot of you want a full castle, but who has the room to display such a piece. I'd rather have one piece of the castle done right than an expensive and not worth the money, full castle. I'd say put all the money into sculpting and painting the castle and none into action features, lightning effects, etc.
    How often you actually gonna use those.

I would buy it for up to $250. I think if they make a Snake mountain, too, in the same price range maybe one or two years later that would be OK for. In a line running for 7 or so years it would be affordable for me to have two of those really expensive "one off" items.
    I agree with the others here who say it must be extremely well made and compatible to the diorama pieces Mattel is going to release. I also think they should release more Grayskull diorama pieces after the release of the actual castle to make the castle even cooler.
    Awesome sticker included!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    Darkspecter, that is so slow it sounds like someone strapped your package to the back of a Koala!

Quote Originally Posted by hordeall View Post
    I paid $100 total (shipping and money conversions) for my Bronze King Grayskull. I didn't want to, but we were told he would be the last variant since so many people went ape. Maybe they meant variant SDCC item? Oh, I forgot about He-Ro and the stones. I don't know then. It's better now because they make more of each item.

kk2, that Castle Grayskull is AMAZING, but I don't think they will make it that massive. I mean...where will people PUT that sucker?! The only way would be if it came in pieces and you could assemble it. That would also make for some cool display options and pictures. You could have Tytus building it.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by kk2 View Post
    I've taken a few pictures from my own attempt and still WIP CG
    Pictures aren't the best, I know, the table is a mess and the figures are posed badly. It's just to show how CG looks in the above mentioned scale.
    That looks awesome btw!

Seems like this hobby is becoming a rich man's hobby, and if that is the cost for Grayskull I guess my 2002 one that cost me $30 will have to do. Mattel's pricing for WWE, MOTU, DC and JLU have become so high that I can't even fathom a rational reason in my head anymore when I buy something. I know it is just wrong that for the price of one figure I can feed my whole family for one nights dinner.

Personal Service Provider Agostinho's Avatar
    I would buy Castle Grayskull for $200-300 as just the "face" of it, and subsequent expansion sets like a dungeon, or throne/teleportation room, etc. as long as it's scaled to the figures, and looks cool. I could care less for lights and sounds.