Page 25 of 186 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Castle Grayskull Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    *Meanwhile at Mattel headquarters*

"Boss, according to this thread on he-man.org, a surprising amount of them are willing to shell out 200 bucks for a Grayskull."

"Good. Raise the projected price to 400 and let me know what happens."

"Yes master."

"And bring me another wad of hundred-dollar bills to light my dodo-feather cigar."

"Yes master."
    So thats what happens at Mattel headquuarters who knew? Lol
    Growing old is mandatory but growing up that's optional.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    *Meanwhile at Mattel headquarters*

"Boss, according to this thread on he-man.org, a surprising amount of them are willing to shell out 200 bucks for a Grayskull."

"Good. Raise the projected price to 400 and let me know what happens."

"Yes master."

"And bring me another wad of hundred-dollar bills to light my dodo-feather cigar."

"Yes master."
    It's funny because it's true. A nice ploy by Mattel to get people to make ridiculous offers for a Grayskull. And it's worked, because a shocking number of people here have made $100-$150+ plus offers for what will likely be just a thin, cheap piece of plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Hordak View Post
    I agree. 300.00 can buy some really nice things. You can buy a PS3 for under that amount.
    Ah, but a PS3 does nothing on it's own; you still need to buy, borrow or rent blu-ray discs and games to enjoy it, and after a few years it's value has depreciated so much it's almost worthless.

Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    It's funny because it's true. A nice ploy by Mattel to get people to make ridiculous offers for a Grayskull. And it's worked, because a shocking number of people here have made $100-$150+ plus offers for what will likely be just a thin, cheap piece of plastic.
    I don't think admitting amongst ourselves that we'd be prepared to pay $150, $200 or $300 for a good MOTUC Castle Grayskull is the same as making "ridiculous offers". For many of us it is merely giving voice to the reality that we would pay good money for a good, updated, to-scale Grayskull playset.

I can easily say I'd spend $300 plus shipping for a Castle Grayskull cos I know how much I spent on vintage Eternia (10 years ago!), 3 x 200x CGs, LP He-Man and SDCC King Grayskull. For that matter, I know how much I spent on shipping alone just to get 2 each of the DCvsMOTU 2 paks recently.

We all know there will be much gnashing of teeth over the cost of Castle Grayskull "if and when" it is produced, but for many of us, we need to have it no matter the price.

MOTU is an addiction worse than black flowers
    Last edited by Swanmarsh; November 11, 2010 at 07:58pm.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

M'eh, Mattel better just release Castle Grayskull as a TRU Exclusive in the MOTU VS DC line. It'd be much cheaper that way and in larger quanities.

It would depend on several things

1) the size and quality
    2) Does it have any kind of features?l
    3) How much disposable income I happen to have at the time

$200 I might do, but $300 is a bit much because you know shipping is going to be murder on somthing that size.

Heroic Warrior
    I really enjoy reading all of this, I also cannot imagine that Castle Grayskull will be nothing more than one piece of molded plastic, as mentioned before here.

I know the 4HM would make it perfect if they could do whatever they want, but I also think, they have to play by some rules.

And that is the reason why I mistrust this whole CG thing, until i see it in person...

Quote Originally Posted by Super He-Man View Post
    Who did Toyguru say that to, BTW? It seems a very odd thing for him to say, true or not.
    He said it to a small group of people made up of people who are both fans of the property and somehow in the industry (you must be connected to the industry to get a pass - either press people from papers, magazines, online sites, etc. Or people from toy companies or networks like Cartoon Network or The Hub).

I was there. It's also on tape (not mine).
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

I must stay that shocked me on the first time I red it, but after some thinking I ended up agreeing with Scot's statement.
    To produce such an item, to match up with the actual size of the figures has to massive, with lots of details, and that won't be cheap.
    In my case i would have to put a lot of thinking to decide if I would buy it, it would be a big investment, counting the item price + shipping and the customs taxes that would shurelly be applied.
    Perhaps with such a big item it would be better to be sold as separate parts for us to assemble. we would probably pay the same, if not more, but it would be easier on our wallets IMO.

Heroic Warrior
    The problem with assembling the castle over time is, well, can you imagine the uproar if some people get 1 part and the next part is sold out before they can buy it?
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

DC, Marvel, MOTU, and TMNT for sale:
    DC Marvel MOTUC & TMNT For Sale

My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    The problem with assembling the castle over time is, well, can you imagine the uproar if some people get 1 part and the next part is sold out before they can buy it?
    Or the plastic or color changes from part to part. They probably want to get it done in one fell swoop.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

All Hell Breaks Loose!!!

Yeah you're probably right, but Mattel could do something like the subscription service, in order to prevent such events.
    Am i being to naive on this subject?

Selling Grayskull in separate pieces comes at too great a risk, IMO.

Not only do fans risk missing out on pieces if parts sell out uber quick in the typical Mattycollector fashion. From Mattel's perspective, there is a risk too many fans will decide only to purchase the front facade and not the remaining walls, ramp and abyss sections, leaving extra stock sitting around a warehouse no-one wants.

We all know there have been a number of fans just in this thread who express the desire only for the front facade.

Also, I fear shipping costs would be much higher overall if Castle Grayskull was sold in separate parts, as opposed in one package.

Have to admit, I am hoping for a Grayskull where we can pose figures standing on the roof as per the bottom left panel:

Quote Originally Posted by SONICR View Post
    M'eh, Mattel better just release Castle Grayskull as a TRU Exclusive in the MOTU VS DC line.
    Howzabout a HALL OF JUSTICE vs. CASTLE GRAYSKULL 2-pack!

I kid... I kid...
    Always Expect the Unexpected!

Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post

YES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh
    Selling Grayskull in separate pieces comes at too great a risk, IMO.
    I think that if it were four pieces (one per quarter) and it were included as part of the subscription, then they'd be guaranteed...

Of course, plenty of people who don't have a subscription would want to buy Grayskull as well, and perhaps, at the end of the year, or in the following year, Matty could offer the four pieces as a set for a little more money or something.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    NERDGASM.

I need a cigarette!

Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    We all know there will be much gnashing of teeth over the cost of Castle Grayskull "if and when" it is produced, but for many of us, we need to have it no matter the price.
    True. It's very much relative I guess. If you buy it, you may think that financially it isn't worth the money, but then again, if you're willing to fork out the money you must really, really want the item. Then it does become, in a sense, very much "worth the money."

I hope that makes sense.

It will be very interesting to see people's reactions once we have pictures to muse over. Then the debate can really start.

$200-$300

Yeah..........guys, I can buy a Playstation 3 for that.

if you want to sell me a Castle Grayskull at that price point you're going to need a LOT more then what you've shown me you're willing to do in this line. It will need scale (meaning HUGE), it will need detail, it will need, dare I say it, ACTION FEATURES, and at that price it damn well better have electronic features as well. And not cheap features like the 2003 castle (which was fine given the price for it when it was new).

If you want to make this worthwhile you will need:

-A perfect recreation of the outside as shown in pictures above, with an exterior peice that the bridge can go over.

-an electronic sound system that has top quality that makes a good sound effect for when things move - ie drawbridge

- an LED in one of the tower windows showing the sorceress morphing to and from Zoar

-there will need to be a place to put the power sword in that sends a wireless signal to lower the drawbridge.

-tons of exterior places for figures

- HUGE, VARIED, DETAILED, AND LOTS OF INTERIOR AREAS.

-The interior needs to have all of the iconic places

-the interior needs lights and sound effects and physical places

-removable point dread and talon cruiser

-INCLUDE the Sorceress and Zoar/stand

-include LED "portals"

-and stuff I can't even think of.

And this all has to be MIND BLOWING

If you can't deliver on this forget it.

If you want to do something like the original castle grayskull but brought up to classics tunings, and do nothing like what I described, I wouldn't pay a cent more then $150 - I have the 2003 castle and it works fine for the classics - if you want me to spend that much money, which would pretty much kill my gaming and anime fund for half a year - you need to EARN it - you have to go BEYOND what I thought of above - you want that much money you need to make me say "WOW".
    -Laserkid

Heroic Warrior
    I agree with those who think the proposed cost has been dropped in to see what reaction the ripple causes.

$300 plus shipping and customs fees for something that would only require a couple of moulds? Seems steep to me. There would actually be fewer parts, and therefore less assembly work, in a Castle Grayskull than in one of the figures.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

I think this needs to be a yes or no poll.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Here's the way I see it...

Would I be willing to pay that much for a Castle Grayskull? Perhaps.

It would preferably need to be closer to the $200 amount than the $300 (though I might be willing to pay the $300 depending on the size of it and what is included).

It would have to be really cool looking, and it would have to be rather large. Even if it's not perfectly in scale with the figures (because such a castle would be insanely huge and a pain to ship), it would still have to be bigger than any version of Grayskull that has come out in a previous line.

For that price, I would hope for it to be more than a diorama piece with no moving parts, accessories, or other features. I'm not against a plain diorama piece, but it would have to cost less than this.

And I think the best way for Mattel to handle this would be to make an exception on their no-preordering policy, for a few reasons.

They would have to make a prototype well enough in advance (more so than with most normal figures) so that we can see what it will look like before we preorder. Then, there should be a limited window of time (similar to the subscription sign up period), to preorder Castle Grayskull. They can still make extra and sell them on the "release date", but this will help people lock-in the Castle and not have to miss out.

Mattel will then use those preorders to determine how many to make. Now, this is where preordering will help out on many levels. It will give Mattel an idea if there is enough interest and enough people buying it to go into production.

Additionally, if the response is huge, and they can produce more than originally anticipated, maybe that will make the cost-per-unit go down. So, while we will preorder under some kind of maximum preorder price, if enough people order these that the cost-per-unit goes down, and they can afford to sell them for less, than they could (and should) drop the price a bit, which would be a great advantage to everyone.

Even if this last part regarding the price doesn't happen, I think the rest should still occur as described.

Additionally, they really should time the release of the castle (which is when people will get charged for it), so that it comes out during a time when we aren't getting much else in the way of over-sized beasts, bonus figures, etc. If they really expect people to buy this, they can't bombard us with tons of other product at the same time.

This is the best way that I can see it working.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

I really want to do this poll, but I have no clue what to say.

Anyone have some options to present for the Grayskull itself?
    Help me craft this sucker.

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    Would not pay 2-300. I am hoping the playsets will rest somewhere around 100- 150.

a Muppet of a man...
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I really want to do this poll, but I have no clue what to say.

Anyone have some options to present for the Grayskull itself?
    Help me craft this sucker.
    How about 2 scale options - 1. relative to the original toy (ie- whatever percentage bigger the figs are than vintage, apply that to the castle) and 2. larger scale, to create scenes more like various cartoons/comics (probably not really to THAT scale, but larger previous CG toys)

3 playset options
    1. diorama backdrop type piece
    2. fairly faithful recreation of original toy, maybe more detail, but same level of bells and whistles.
    3. super-deluxe lights, sounds, type deal that some people have proposed in this thread.

that's six, then how much are you willing to pay?
    1. up to 100
    2. up to 200
    3. up to 300
    4. curse the expense, I want my castle!

That's about 24 options to pick from. Long list, I know! does that hit everything in broad strokes, or is there something missing?

Unless the movie is released we aren`t getting Castle Grayskull anyways, might as well get used to the cardboard one from King Grayskull or the 200X one I`d actually only want to pay $50-75 for a Castle anything more is way too expensive of a price point IMO The original was only $26 and the 200X castle was about $35-40 and that had lights and sound
    Last edited by adam03; November 12, 2010 at 11:19am.