Page 28 of 183 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Castle Grayskull Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    On the other hand, Mattel is afraid to make a 19" Giganta or a Batmobile for DCUC, which are retail lines.
    there are strong rumors that mattel will make giant non-cnc figs for dcuc.

TG - how about a large scale cardboard dio/background piece?

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    When in the world did we say that? MOTUC does well. It is not at all a huge driver for the company the way Barbie or Hot Wheels is (or even a retail collector line like DCUC). We'd love to do more MOTU toys, but in the end, the customer base for this line is still very limited. We have enough customers to crank our some great figures with mostly shared tooling (sure a few figs a year can get more tooling) but that is about where we are.

The competitive lines you mentioned are huge mass retail lines sold mostly to kids and moms. (with some collector bleed over). Fans online tend to think they are more numerous, but what we have found is that the internet can give everyone a voice, so online fans come off much louder then numerous for almost all lines). Getting kids and moms to purchase lines is how large scale items are affordable to produce. A collector only line is just not enough to support huge items like a playset.

Honestly, while I know a lot of people are wanting more and more, I'm personally just so glad to be getting 1 to 2 new figures every month. Take a step back. Seriously. We're getting Tytus, Battle Cat, Sy-Klone, King Hsss, Optikk, She-Ra, Bow, Trap Jaw. What an amazing line Classics is!

Sure it doesn't have EVERYTHING we could ever want, but man, it is so cool to have new figures to add to the shelf each month!

As for why we won't just do a shell, honestly, we're just not interested in going half way. It would still take a lot of design work to produce something like this, and to go for all that effort for something that will come out a bit cheap-looking tends to de-value our collector program as a whole. We'd much rather take that same amount of design energy and put it into more figures since those come out so well.

If moms and kids are ever turned on to the MOTU brand again, that will be a time when playsets can be reviewed. Until then, vehicles are about the limit of our reach (and believe me, getting that approved was a leap of faith into itself!)

Good Journey!

TG

Might I say "amen"...

Yes I want a Grayskull, a Snake Mountain, and all the other sets... but if I had to choose one over the other, I'd rather have a 6" action figure line that'll last the next seven years ensuring I get Entrapta, Rokkon, Modulok, Extendar, Double Trouble, Quaake, etc rather than a large playset that'll set me back the cost of an entire year's worth of figures!
    I'd love to have both, but everything ToyGuru said here makes sense to me... and I say just keep on cranking out the figures and anything else we get is icing on the cake. That said, I wonder if they'll ever test the waters with a Point Dread & Talon Fighter or a Slime Pit... or some sort of all new smallish (but bigger than the figure stands) diorama piece...

Defender of the Elders Red Trinity's Avatar
    I think it would be neat if Mattel produced an "add-on" cardboard piece that can be placed atop the King Grayskull box so we can opt to have a "complete" Grayskull.

Excuse the bad Photoshop mock-up, but this is kind of what I'm thinking:

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    When in the world did we say that?

You said that at the NY Toy Fair, in case you forgot.
    SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    You said that at the NY Toy Fair, in case you forgot.
    huh...selective memory there!
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    I think a new retail line will have to solve this problem. I get what TG says and I do believe it is just not financially viable to produce a Castle Grayskull right now.

I think if a new cartoon shows up and toy line to support it, then we'll have a Castle Grayskull based on that series. I also think the toys need to get smaller for price.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Trinity View Post
    I think it would be neat if Mattel produced an "add-on" cardboard piece that can be placed atop the King Grayskull box so we can opt to have a "complete" Grayskull.

Excuse the bad Photoshop mock-up, but this is kind of what I'm thinking:

http://www.he-man.org:81/forums/boar...1&d=1291825440
    I respect that some fans love that packaging fold-out Grayskull thing, but personally it does nothing for me and I'd rather have something that actually resembles the classic Grayskull ala the box art.

MOTU Brick Builder Marwarscreator's Avatar
    A Castle Grayskull in scale to the 6" figures... wouldn't mind to have one of those

...but... the shipping over seas

The box itself would be approx 70x45x45 cm / 27.58 x 17.73 x 17.73 inches...

So, lets say it costs $200/$300, ship it to Europe and add costums...

Guess I'll need to save up in some time
    -------------------------------------
    "By the Power of Plastic... I HAVE THE LEGO!"
    -------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    I am collecting every figure in this line and supporting it 100% based on the PROMISE YOU MADE about getting to EVERY SINGLE vintage, POP, and NA character in time, yet we still hear "if and when" all the time.
    Um, they never PROMISED anything, and that's because they're not insane. The intention of this line is to get to every single figure from all lines, but no toy company can or would promise that a line will make it as far as they'd like it to because that's not something they can control.

Instead of getting mad at them for being honest and straightforward with us, why not get excited about just how much this line has grown in such a short time
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

No matter how much we get some people always want more or even expect more as if its their god given right to have everything they want.
    Id like a Castle Grayskull, Snake Mountain and other things but we do already get 18-20 figures a year, beasts and now a vehicle next year too so I dont see the need to throw the rattle out of the pram over not getting even more stuff, as nice as it would be to have all the playsets.

I agree with Zodak74, id rather make do with my 200X castle than use a box with a castle drawn on it.

I too want the line to go on for a while and tooling-$ shouldn't go into a half baked castle, I totally agree. This line is so awesome as it is now, hope that lasts for a while. Would be neat if we could get a vehicle or two a year though.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    huh...selective memory there!
    Seriously guys? Like you all can remember exactly what you said at work/someone months ago. It is just plain ridiculous the unreasonable demands some of you people have and it is getting rather annoying.

I'm willing to bet most of you wouldn't be able to do half a good a job as Toyguru does on MOTUC if you were in his spot.

about grayskull-The playsets are not just for kids?

I see that many people want to Castle Grayskull.

beyond that I think Grayskull is logistically impossible in a collector's line as motuc. (the price would be too high and also is the delivery)
    Do you not think that playsets are something exclusive for children?what do you think?

Is there any history of payset for adult collectors?

imagining Grayskull in motuc , look at the size of that thing. i see no way this is possible

Last edited by heavy-eternium; December 21, 2010 at 03:46pm.

Toys are for children, yet we collect them, and here we are discussing it. Where is the line drawn? Children's toys are OK for adults to collect, but playsets are only for kids? I don't see the logic.

Playsets are not only just as acceptable of an adult collector's item as figures, but IMO an affordable Grayskull would be easy to do. It all depends on what Mattel is willing to compromise and how realistic fans expectations are.

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    Matty wants to sell us a complete playset for 200-300$ instead of giving us just a clamshel with the front of the castle for just 100$...
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

I would be very happy with a clamshell. I would use Grayskull as a backdrop for displaying.
    That would also mean I can abandon this project:

Quote Originally Posted by Brad2dbone View Post
    Toys are for children, yet we collect them, and here we are discussing it. Where is the line drawn? Children's toys are OK for adults to collect, but playsets are only for kids? I don't see the logic.

Playsets are not only just as acceptable of an adult collector's item as figures, but IMO an affordable Grayskull would be easy to do. It all depends on what Mattel is willing to compromise and how realistic fans expectations are.
    I think he was just saying there wasn't a market for adult playsets. Few adults have "play room" space to spare for such large items and many adult collectors don't 'play' with there toys. The working elevator and trap door are less important to the general adult collector than just having something well sculpted and painted to set with the figures.

I. Want. My. Playset.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Way to Go Club Etheria!

i would be interested only in the front of the castle, I just need it to enjoy it.
    the only usefulness of the playset is to play .

i believe a Castle Grayskull would indeed be possible, even profitable, if done in the right conditions and executed well. I agree with ToyGuru in that for an item this size to be done, it would require a much broader, massive support, similar to the support that made possible the BMF Millenium Falcon and the new Big AT-AT.

We adults collect them, some even play with them, nothing wrong with that! but they still need to be kid friendly and affordable by parents. If a large scale item costs more than 120, parents may find it difficult to purchase one for their kid even though for a working adult collector this would be a bargain. The price an adult collector would be willing to fork out may NOT be the same price a parent would spend on a toy, which is what these things are for parents and most kids, honestly... just toys.

Personally, I see a Castle Grayskull as a diorama / display piece. Not for actual play. I would say a shell would be enough, but honestly, if Mattel produced a "shell only" castle, i would be disappointed. I would like at least some "volume" so i can look at it from the side and top and still feel it is a massive building. Shell would feel too much like a backdrop to me, instead of a "setting". Here too i agree with ToyGuru: if a casltle is made, it has to be a full castle or nothing.

Don't despair. a new updated CG will come in due time.
    Last edited by JOXE; December 21, 2010 at 04:13pm.

See my illustrations and designs @ DeviantART: http://pezbananadesign.deviantart.com/

My Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/....php?p=2715534

=)

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    The working elevator and trap door are less important to the general adult collector than just having something well sculpted and painted to set with the figures.
    If he means, would we prefer more of a set piece, rather than something with play value, I would absolutely agree. I would love to have just a cheap clamshell, I don't need anything to work other than the jawbridge, especially if it can save me some bread.

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    i would be interested only in the front of the castle, I just need it to enjoy it.
    the only usefulness of the playset is to play .
    Well it could just be marketed to adult collectors as a "display-set" instead of a "playset."

And maybe when we get one, as TG says would most likely be in a movie year, then they could have one version at retail marketed towards kids as a playset with many play-accessories, and another offered at Matty.com marketed to the adult collectors as a display-set, using the same base, minus the play-accessories, and instead include additional display pieces, like maybe snap-on, elongated, floor pieces, plus maybe more detailed paint apps.
    – No comment.

Heroic Warrior
    I really want a new Castle Greyskull BUT
    I also dont want that that to inhibit
    our chances of getting other playset such
    as a new Snake Mountain,a new Horde Fright Zone,
    a new Eternia playset and also a never before done set such as
    the Royal palace.

Getting all of these plus getting diarama pieces like Skeletors throne
    and Zodaks flying throne are essential to a collection in my opinion
    and its time to see these type of items in toy form along with all other filmation,books and other obscure creations and characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Eterniandreams View Post
    I would be very happy with a clamshell. I would use Grayskull as a backdrop for displaying.
    That would also mean I can abandon this project:
    Never give up your dream!
    He-Guy and the Guys of the Universe on sale now for however much you want to pay!

Scottzirkel, I love your avatar.

On topic, I want my playset.

...I still want my BMF too. (Alas, another Christmas has passed and yet I do not own my Falcon...)
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Way to Go Club Etheria!