Page 56 of 186 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 4645

Thread: MOTUC Castle Grayskull Discussion Thread

Snappy Threader
    If you look at how the Icon statue is around 114 to 126 bucks, this Matty CG is a really awesome deal.....in my opinion.

I don`t need a filmation CG.
    Happy with the B-Sheet the way it is. yes, great deal!
    A new Motu line, again at last!

Quote Originally Posted by Replikor View Post
    well they updated the MOTUC Grayskull preorder page's thermometer guys!

http://www.mattycollector.com/store/...ctID.258165100

...an its set kinda high! Dont know about anyone else, but there "minimum" to start production Goal has me concerned...
    Gah! Why the Panic over this?!

There are no actual numbers there to fuss about!

Every thermometer they've done has the goal at or around three quarters the way up. So that they can later show how far over its gone if it goes over. Look at past DCUC thermometers. Even the last MotUC sub had this after the fact.

I think worrying about that line is pointless today.
    After next week at this time if the number indicator is still in the ball, then it's time to maybe worry.

Stay Calm... Castle Grayskull!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    The explanation was there from the beginning as to why it's not the Filmation castle, it's pulling style from the early Mark Taylor prototype. It's what Mattel wants, it's what the Fourhorsemen want.

It's what many, many fans want.

Chalk it up with box art and packaging art that inspired most of the 8-back, Battle Cat, and the Wind Raider. Grayskull hails from that era.
    With the option of removing the minarette, and adding the handle piece, you get almost two looks, Mark's and the vintage toy together, the best of the two looks together.
    Well, it seems to be a lot more inspired on the box art and the vintage playset than on the actual Mark Taylor prototype. Which is still nice, of course, but since we are already getting that particular look with the Icon Heroes castle, I had hoped that this one would feature the protruding mouth with the organic dripping teeth and more rounded eyes.

"A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Three hours to go!!! How cool would it be to reach the minimum today? Yeah, I know it's wishful thinking...

Anyway, I'm stoked. I still don't get why some people say they need to wait until they get paid on the first or whatever. You don't need the money now! Just an active credit/debit card! You pay for it next year!
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I had a thought about the recent trend of using brown to color the "wood" on Castle Grayskull.

I don't like it.

First of all, the brown color clashes with the green of the castle, at least in my opinion. Maybe it's the nearly 30 years of seeing the castle rendered without the brown color of the wood that is swaying my view, I don't know.

Second, old wood tends to be a weathered gray color, not brown. And remember, this would be ancient wood. Unless the Sorceress is a part-time carpenter, (well, she must get bored from time to time...) it doesn't get repaired very often.

Using a light gray color for the wood beams and wooden shingles not only would match the green of the castle better, but be a more realistic choice. Just my 2 cents.

http://www.freestockimages.org/wp-co...d-textures.jpg
    I agree about the wood, never liked it. It should be weathered wood. Or they could be slates or tiles? Either way it shouldn't be wood. It doesn't match with the green and mouldy look of the castle.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    The explanation was there from the beginning as to why it's not the Filmation castle, it's pulling style from the early Mark Taylor prototype. It's what Mattel wants, it's what the Fourhorsemen want.

It's what many, many fans want.
    The many many fans who have even seen some random obscure prototype picture that didn't surface until the last decade or so online and no one really knew about before?

Very, very few people comparatively actually care about such things.

Thankfully, it doesn't look much like that deformed looking thing. To me, it looks like the box art, as it should.

But we really don't need to pretend that that super-obscure stuff that no normal person has ever heard about is somehow significant of the collectors - no, it's just the tiny portion of folks who think that MOTU is all about obscurities - when millions and MILLIONS of people watched Filmation. There are maybe a few hundred who obsess about unknown things like prototypes, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Well, it seems to be a lot more inspired on the box art and the vintage playset than on the actual Mark Taylor prototype. Which is still nice, of course, but since we are already getting that particular look with the Icon Heroes castle, I had hoped that this one would feature the protruding mouth with the organic dripping teeth and more rounded eyes.
    To be honest, I'm so glad it doesn't. I probably wouldn't have bought one if it had. It looks like he's mentally disabled.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...comparison.jpg
    I don't understand why they seem to be planning to use that structured brick look for the eyes once again. It was the one big thing criticised about the Icon Heroes statue. Here on the forums as well as on RGD.
    I don't like it, it looks all wrong to me.

This might put some people off from actually pre-ordering it.
    Awesome sticker included!

Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    The many many fans who have even seen some random obscure prototype picture that didn't surface until the last decade or so online and no one really knew about before?

Thankfully, it doesn't look much like that deformed looking thing. To me, it looks like the box art, as it should.

But we really don't need to pretend that that super-obscure stuff that no normal person has ever heard about is somehow significant of the collectors - no, it's just the tiny portion of folks who think that MOTU is all about obscurities - when millions and MILLIONS of people watched Filmation. There are maybe a few hundred who obsess about unknown things like prototypes, etc.
    That's the way it has been in the early mini-comics and on the cross sell art, which can hardly be called obscure.

Anyway, since the B-sheet was done by Ruben's team, I hope the Horsemen will still try to work in some more of the prototype esthetic.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

online with my office computer in Liverpool
    Quote Originally Posted by Maker View Post
    I was sold with the drawings (I love design drawings), but I can't wait to see this. My excitement must be showing, 'cuz my wife's commented on it.
    In particular,I love the elevator clear up to the rafters, the ramparts on the side wall, and the little stairs down to the secret door/ledge.
    They had me at hello...Castle Grayskull!!"
    If there's something strange in the neighbourhood, who you gonna' call? HE-MAN!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull's Heir View Post
    I don't understand why they seem to be planning to use that structured brick look for the eyes once again. It was the one big thing criticised about the Icon Heroes statue. Here on the forums as well as on RGD.
    I don't like it, it looks all wrong to me.

This might put some people off from actually pre-ordering it.
    I think it's because there were some lines around the eyes of the prototype version as well that it's systematically interpreted as brick work. Not a fan of that either.

All the cross-sell art was based on the original prototype. See the first image in post #1379.
    Congratulations! MOTUC 2015!

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar

- - - Updated - - -

To be honest, I'm so glad it doesn't. I probably wouldn't have bought one if it had. It looks like he's mentally disabled.

Agreed! Castle Grayskull really became Castle Grayskull in Filmation. The fact that both Adam and Adora transformed in front of CG while saying "by the power / honor of grayskull " crystallized for millions of viewers what Castle Grayskull looked like! This is the iconc scene EVERYONE remembers about. And when I mean everyone, I mean the millions of people who hardly remember anything about MOTU / POP. that to me weighs a lot more than that tiny drawing at the corner of the cross sell.

One could argue that the obsession with rejected concepts and concept characters has hurt this line a lot. Most People weren't exactly thrilled to have to buy the star sisters or even Battle ground Teela (voted as one of the most hated figures!) The very fact that they would not incorporate any element of the Filmation castle Grayskull baffles me. I hope the 4 horsemen will still have creative freedom to sculpt their own hybrid version!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

I think it's because there were some lines around the eyes of the prototype version as well that it's systematically interpreted as brick work. Not a fan of that either.
    I see.

Still I think they should listen to the fans' feedback on this issue with the Icon Heroes statue.

(man I got no idea if I have those prepositions right! lol. sorry not a native speaker )
    Awesome sticker included!

Heroic Warrior
    That's the way it has been in the early mini-comics and on the cross sell art, which can hardly be called obscure.

http://www.he-man.org/assets/images/...ack-6_full.jpg

Anyway, since the B-sheet was done by Ruben's team, I hope the Horsemen will still try to work in some more of the prototype esthetic.
    All the cross-sell art was based on the original prototype. See the first image in post #1379.
    Yup, obscurities, as I said.

Sorry guys. I guess it's just impossible to make people understand. Most kids who remember the toy remember the actual toy - not some tiny little drawing on a piece of cardboard on some early items they tore off and threw away immediately so they could play with their toys. They either remember the toy itself, or are among the countless millions who watched the television show every day.

I'm happy with the castle the way it is - if they try to add more of that deformed face nonsense, though, I'd be out. It looks like a deformity from some horror film - not pleasant to look at. I know a few people would actually like that, but it's super-obscure and not "classic" - it's a prototype that they very smartly didn't release. For a reason.

Yup, obscurities, as I said.

Here is a rare image I dug up...

The ad on every mini comic is obscure? I guess I have to consult the dictionary...

There's more if you want to see it...
    Last edited by NorthCoast; October 16, 2012 at 11:00am.

I think the actual original playset is the most iconic version of Castle Grayskull. Yeah, millions watched the show, but I would think that millions more are familiar with the playset. Parents didn't watch the show, yet they bought the playset. Kids that didn't watch the show did see all the commercials for the toy. Also, if a kid didn't have it, they had friends that did. Brothers and sisters and aunts and grandparents are way more familiar with the toy.

That said, whatever is the most popular design is irrelevant. You can't please everyone. But I, for one, am very impressed and happy with the design choice for the Classics Castle Grayskull. It truly looks like a fortress of mystery and power.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    That said, whatever is the most popular design is irrelevant. You can't please everyone. But I, for one, am very impressed and happy with the design choice for the Classics Castle Grayskull. It truly looks like a fortress of mystery and power.
    I am too. Whoever did the drawing of CG on the blueprints did a GREAT JOB! It's an outstanding rendering!

I think some people just need to complain, bottom line is, no matter which drawing it is based off, anyone that sees it will say "That's castle Grayskull"

even though it has some diffrent looks, the skull and the color are all that are needed for 99.9% to say its Grayskull.

I just cant believe all the nit picking, oh wait yeah I can lol.

We are getting the chance at a CG, a really freaking huge one, that is a REAL playset, something I never thought Mattel would EVER do.

Ok back to hiding in the shadows for me.
    the ignore list is my new best friend

The vintage toy looks just like the original prototype. I don't get the nitpicking. There are missing elements from the proto in the toy, but it's basically the same thing. Nobody's going to look at the proto and go "that is nothing like the toy of my youth!"

I would have preferred a more Filmation-based Castle Grayskull. I'm not going to lie about that. However, what we seem to be getting is pretty excellent, nonetheless. Still, I am slightly disappointed there aren't any Filmation elements at all. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, though.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    One could argue that the obsession with rejected concepts and concept characters has hurt this line a lot.
    Then again, forgotten things like Cardback Mer-Man, Battleground Teela and Alcala Skeletor have found a resurgence in modern times. We even have details that are now on the figures, that the original line couldn't have sculpted on.

Most People weren't exactly thrilled to have to buy the star sisters or even Battle ground Teela (voted as one of the most hated figures!)
    If some fans had their way, this line wouldn't have had much of the era diversity that makes this line much better than the others before it. I wouldn't put much stake in those votes. Icarius was voted the Worst Figure of the Year because he was an NA character. He had no issues, no controversies and was a pretty awesome designed figure.

The very fact that they would not incorporate any element of the Filmation castle Grayskull baffles me. I hope the 4 horsemen will still have creative freedom to sculpt their own hybrid version!
    This line was based off the original toyline's cardback artwork, not Filmation. That's why He-Man isn't as dark as Buzz-Off, Stratos, Skeletor and Beast Man aren't wearing boots, Hordak isn't blue, Ram Man isn't a dwarf, Panthor doesn't look like a panther, Evil-Lyn wasn't pale skinned, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    The vintage toy looks just like the original prototype. I don't get the nitpicking. There are missing elements from the proto in the toy, but it's basically the same thing. Nobody's going to look at the proto and go "that is nothing like the toy of my youth!"
    But people are saying that's nothing like the cartoon I watched, even though the toy they played with didn't look like the cartoon either!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

9 minutes to go!
    I loved growing up in the 80's....wish my kids someday could experience the same thing....

"The meat was gamey, the potatoes were lumpy, and this coffee tastes like it was strained through someones urethra." - Dean Stephan

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    I think the actual original playset is the most iconic version of Castle Grayskull. Yeah, millions watched the show, but I would think that millions more are familiar with the playset. Parents didn't watch the show, yet they bought the playset. Kids that didn't watch the show did see all the commercials for the toy. Also, if a kid didn't have it, they had friends that did. Brothers and sisters and aunts and grandparents are way more familiar with the toy.

Well said.

All I said above was that there ARE MANY MANY fans that enjoy this look over Filmation.
    I didn't say MORE fans. I didn't say THE LARGEST BODY of Fans... (Although I don't agree the largest body of fans are filmation only fans).

I just said many, many fans. Cool?

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    I agree. If you take casual fans and show them the Mark Taylor Castle, they'll just remember it as the toy they grew up with. They likely won't notice the changes.

There is a silver lining for the Filmation fans... Snake Mountain!!! Let's get Grayskull so we can in turn get you the Snake Mountain you've all wanted!!!
    I'm declaring right here, right now, I am not a big Filmation fan, but I will unite with the Filmation fans to help them get Snake Mountain, and I will happily buy the Filmation inspired Snake Mountain Playset after Grayskull's success.

Honestly, this is a thing that the Box Art Minicomic crowd can come together with the Filmation fans on... I'm all for just being a MotU fan, regardless what faction or version or era I prefer.
    Last edited by Baena; October 16, 2012 at 12:03pm.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    The ad on every mini comic is obscure? I guess I have to consult the dictionary...
    You'd think it would be otherwise since everyone here had the toys and by association also must have had the mini-comics as well. However, it turns out that most Filmation fans probably either didn't read the mini-comics, ignored them or threw them out with the packaging. They preferred the cartoon stories over the Mattel stories.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)