Page 70 of 186 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120170 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,750 of 4645

Thread: MOTUC Castle Grayskull Discussion Thread

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Also, is that a picture of a rock man? — Calix hint, perhaps?
    Last edited by Alexxandar; October 20, 2012 at 02:15pm.

Brace yourself amigos: Its time for a little cynicism.

So um. its about the same same size of the 200x one? The 200x has two "sides" that fold out.

I think its a good scale for the ORIGINAL figures , but c'mon, 25-.00 for a slightly larger remake of the original greyskull?

The tone of green that they have been using doesn't quite match the original nor the filmation. Also there's nothing paying homage to the filmation greyskull that I can see. I would have liked a platform with a bridge and maybe some spikes in the back? I dunno. This is a bit of a lazy effort for the price

How the hell am I gonna display my figures on the front side of it when they're all hiding on the back.. does that mean I'll have to get two? Or am I gonna have to get some slowly rotating device that spins it around my living room .?

Sorry, guys. I am excited to some degree..BUT I can't help but notice these flaws. It could have been better is what I'm saying ; yet, I have to get it because I'm pretty stupid about these things. Damn it

Quote Originally Posted by Metalogan View Post

So um. its about the same same size of the 200x one? The 200x has two "sides" that fold out.

I think its a good scale for the ORIGINAL figures , but c'mon, 25-.00 for a slightly larger remake of the original greyskull?

The tone of green that they have been using doesn't quite match the original nor the filmation. Also there's nothing paying homage to the filmation greyskull that I can see. I would have liked a platform with a bridge and maybe some spikes in the back? I dunno. This is a bit of a lazy effort for the price

How the hell am I gonna display my figures on the front side of it when they're all hiding on the back.. does that mean I'll have to get two? Or am I gonna have to get some slowly rotating device that spins it around my living room .?

Sorry, guys. I am excited to some degree..BUT I can't help but notice these flaws. It could have been better is what I'm saying ; yet, I have to get it because I'm pretty stupid about these things. Damn it
    I think you're reading way too much into a design drawing. Were I in your shoes of cynisicm, I'd reserve judgement until you see it closer to final.

It's a different beast from the 200x castle. The size, I think, is much better than that castle.

Trick is, have faith in the Fourhorsemen's passion for this castle, and just get your Pre-order in if you haven't already.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Heroic Warrior
    Caverns of Rakash (Formerly of Darksmoke)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hordak View Post
    It was mentioned during the Q&A at NYCC. TNI reported it here.

If you want a Classics Snake Mountain in Filmation style the Castle must sell.
    I'd rather it be Vintage style myself, or perhaps a mix, but pure Filmation would be a big disappointment in my view.

Heroic Warrior
    Yeah... a foam model ain't the real thing. Plus, the inside is still totally empty. Mattel will have to make much bigger efforts if they want more fans to buy this Castle Grayskull. I'd be interested to see the MOTUC Castle Grayskull foam model compared to the 200x version...

I wasn't aware the 200x Castle was that big. That's quite surprising.

Evil and Reads Everything Straight Edge's Avatar
    So um. its about the same same size of the 200x one?
    25-.00 for a slightly larger remake of the original greyskull?
    With three levels, improved features (minarette, functional side door, sculpted details instead of stickers, etc)... it's *exactly* what the MOTUC line has been - straight up remakes of the vintage line with improved sculpting, articulation and extras that embrace the entire span of the Masters franchise (in this case, lots of pre-production extras).

And I do think it's bigger than the 200x castle. Scott has said it's a few inches bigger.
    Also, the 200x Castle sucked - the skull-face was uninspired, sterile, and had the Mattel-mandated "Asterik) on it's forehead. The insides were more or less 1982- "inverted outside-sculpt" and there were electronics that lessened the entire line (Teela Boot anyone?).

You may have valid complaints that it's not the "full, 4-walled playset" that Scott talked about before, but it's still an improvement over what's come before, within the limits of cost and profit.

Looking at comparison pictures between vintage Grayskull and 200X Grayskull and the vintage Grayskull and the foam core mock-up of the proposed Classics Grayskull and comparing where certain features lined-up and compensating a bit for perspective and that sort of thing, I've made this comparison chart. If someone who has both the Classics and vintage Grayskull can give us exact measurements this could be even better, but from what we've seen I thin this is pretty close.

You can see the Classics CG's overall bulk is MUCH more impressive.

So um. its about the same same size of the 200x one?
    No. It could eat the 200x one. Where are you getting this? Look at He-bro's mockups from a few pages back.

I'm curious as to what kind of packaging this will come in. As a MOC collector, I really don't have any interest in it because it will more than likely just be a picture on a box to me, which is why I didn't order the Wind Raider. Do you think there is any chance Mattel will make a windowed package for this beast?
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." - H. J. Simpson, 1997

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge View Post
    With three levels, improved features (minarette, functional side door, sculpted details instead of stickers, etc)... it's *exactly* what the MOTUC line has been - straight up remakes of the vintage line with improved sculpting, articulation and extras that embrace the entire span of the Masters franchise (in this case, lots of pre-production extras).

And I do think it's bigger than the 200x castle. Scott has said it's a few inches bigger.
    Also, the 200x Castle sucked - the skull-face was uninspired, sterile, and had the Mattel-mandated "Asterik) on it's forehead. The insides were more or less 1982- "inverted outside-sculpt" and there were electronics that lessened the entire line (Teela Boot anyone?).

You may have valid complaints that it's not the "full, 4-walled playset" that Scott talked about before, but it's still an improvement over what's come before, within the limits of cost and profit.
    I own the 200X castle. Or at least I did, it's currently in a box at my parents' on the other side of the atlantic!
    I agree with your comments but I think there are definitely a few things I'd love the 4 horsemen to keep from that incarnation of Caslte Grayskull. Namely:

1. It's probably too late for this, but the new CG could have benefited from the 200X castle's 3 walls format: Instead of opening in 2 panels, there were three panels: the facade plus two back panels that connected together when folded. That allowed you to have a 3 wall castle when you look at it from upfront.
    That was actually pretty nice even if it divides the width of the pack panel by 2 when you open it.

2. The Hall of secrets. The FRICKIN' HALL OF SECRETS!!!! That was super cool because it was a secret passage that led to that antichamber with the frickin' chromed version of the Power Sword! I loved LOVED LOVED this. And you can see it from outside through the window when you look at the façade. I would LOVE the 4 horsemen to keep that element for the castle. It had that pebbled golden panel, it was really nicely executed.

3. The balcony. You could have figures standing there pouring hot tar on Skeletor... Or the Sorceress could be serenaded by her many suitors that she talked to on a single mom dating website. Duh. Essential to my Castle!

In regards to Filmation, in the 'What castle Grayskull do you want?' poll; the majority voted for the Rudy Obrero box art... But the Filmation Castle Grayskull came at a close second. This means that a lot of people would love to have Filmation elements to the Castle. I would love the 4 horsemen to give us:

1. Snap on / removable Filmation fangs fore the Castle Façade. Makes way more sense than the removable minaret piece on top.
    All you need are a couple snap on teeth and you can make the castle grayskull you want. Everyone wins. Everyone preorders. Everyone is happy.

2. The Portal to Etheria. The new castle is way bigger than the old vintage one which means there MUST be room for a mirror sticker (similar to Bubble Power She-ra's sticker). Fans would go CRAAAAZY! That would be soo cool! They could also include a 'negative' print of the She-ra Sword. You would put the She-ra sword into the wall and pretend it activate the portal!

3. The Sorceress bed. The one with a falcon (or did I just imagine this?) that she wakes up in, at the beginning of the Secret of the Sword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

Heroic Rock Warrior jdscissorhands's Avatar
    This looks awesome!

Long Live MOTU!!!
    20 Most needed characters before MOTUC ends...

Heroic: Lizard Man / King Miro / Hawke / Dakon
    Evil: Evilseed
    POP: Angella / King Micah / General Sunder/ Twiggets 3 pack
    Horde: Vultak / Hunga / Prahvus
    POG: Veena
    SnakeMen: Tung Lashor / Sssqueeze
    Rock People: Granita
    NA: Darius / Sebrian

I personally disliked the 200X Castle Grayskull, and its major departure from so many of the cool points that the vintage playset had going for it to simply incorporate electronic gadget style features

As for the size/scale comparisons of the 3 castles.
    The 200X castle is [1] inch taller than the vintage Graysull [minus point dread attachment], and [4] inches wider on each face of the vintage Grayskull.

BUT saying that the 200X castle is a all you need for a stand in as a MOTUC Grayskull. Well thats your personal view, but its one I must personally disagree with as a fan of all the different MOTU lines equally.

The MOTUC Grayskull is [5] inches taller and [10] inches wider than the 200X Castle Grayskull.

So thats a MASSIVE increase in the size/scale of Grayskull.

Plus the MOTUC Grayskull is a vintage upgrade with some concept and Alacala style elements added in for more detail. So the simple fact it satisfies multiple MOTU fan groups wants for the look of Castle Grayskull, I feel this is now THE definitive look for Castle Grayskull and is how I will always personally see a non 200X the Castle from now on.

Plus PLUS!
    You are forgetting that this will be sculpted by the 4 Horsemen to be ultra detailed an forgoing any gadgets an electronic gimics. So the visual appearance alone will have to be KEY selling point for the sells of this castle. That alone is hands down is the easiest reason to buy one of these new castles in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge View Post

Very well-said. These points often do need to be repeated on here though, lol.

Although, the interior of the 200x Castle does have some cool elements.

Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    I own the 200X castle. Or at least I did, it's currently in a box at my parents' on the other side of the atlantic!
    I agree with your comments but I think there are definitely a few things I'd love the 4 horsemen to keep from that incarnation of Caslte Grayskull. Namely:

1. It's probably too late for this, but the new CG could have benefited from the 200X castle's 3 walls format: Instead of opening in 2 panels, there were three panels: the facade plus two back panels that connected together when folded. That allowed you to have a 3 wall castle when you look at it from upfront.
    That was actually pretty nice even if it divides the width of the pack panel by 2 when you open it.

2. The Hall of secrets. The FRICKIN' HALL OF SECRETS!!!! That was super cool because it was a secret passage that led to that antichamber with the frickin' chromed version of the Power Sword! I loved LOVED LOVED this. And you can see it from outside through the window when you look at the façade. I would LOVE the 4 horsemen to keep that element for the castle. It had that pebbled golden panel, it was really nicely executed.

3. The balcony. You could have figures standing there pouring hot tar on Skeletor... Or the Sorceress could be serenaded by her many suitors that she talked to on a single mom dating website. Duh. Essential to my Castle!

In regards to Filmation, in the 'What castle Grayskull do you want?' poll; the majority voted for the Rudy Obrero box art... But the Filmation Castle Grayskull came at a close second. This means that a lot of people would love to have Filmation elements to the Castle. I would love the 4 horsemen to give us:

1. Snap on / removable Filmation fangs fore the Castle Façade. Makes way more sense than the removable minaret piece on top.
    All you need are a couple snap on teeth and you can make the castle grayskull you want. Everyone wins. Everyone preorders. Everyone is happy.

2. The Portal to Etheria. The new castle is way bigger than the old vintage one which means there MUST be room for a mirror sticker (similar to Bubble Power She-ra's sticker). Fans would go CRAAAAZY! That would be soo cool! They could also include a 'negative' print of the She-ra Sword. You would put the She-ra sword into the wall and pretend it activate the portal!

3. The Sorceress bed. The one with a falcon (or did I just imagine this?) that she wakes up in, at the beginning of the Secret of the Sword.
    I've said it already, but I do think there should be a couple of filmation accessories inside, at the very least.
    Although, if it doesn't happen, there is always hope for extra preorder Grayskull walls if this one does well. Imagine a right wall dedicated to 200x elements, and a back wall for filmation elements?

Here's what the size difference is between the 200x and the new one, the gray tube is the size of the new right tower, and I made a print out of the new door to scale too.

The Left tower is 22 inches, so you can see looking at the picture and the 22 inch mark how big the other (shorter) tower will be.
    (The new shorter tower is still taller than the tallest tower on the 200x version)

Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    Yeah... a foam model ain't the real thing. Plus, the inside is still totally empty. Mattel will have to make much bigger efforts if they want more fans to buy this Castle Grayskull. I'd be interested to see the MOTUC Castle Grayskull foam model compared to the 200x version...
    The whole point of the foam mock up is just that…it's a foam mock up to show fans the size and levels on the inside. And speaking of size…as others have already posted comparison pics…Classics CG will be larger than anything we've ever gotten. That size comparison in TG's video really impressed me! There really isn't much more they can do at this point unless the Horsemen were to pull out a small mock up they did on the side for free like the did with the Battle Ram. But, I really don't see that happening considering how busy the 4H are. I think the glass is half full here…it was an easy yes for me.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Prahvus is not impressed =(

Court Magician
    I cannot wait for this. For those of you on the fence just start saving $20 a month by the time it comes out you will have more than enough saved up to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Looking at comparison pictures between vintage Grayskull and 200X Grayskull and the vintage Grayskull and the foam core mock-up of the proposed Classics Grayskull and comparing where certain features lined-up and compensating a bit for perspective and that sort of thing, I've made this comparison chart. If someone who has both the Classics and vintage Grayskull can give us exact measurements this could be even better, but from what we've seen I thin this is pretty close.

You can see the Classics CG's overall bulk is MUCH more impressive.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8473/8...40417633_z.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Prahvus is not impressed =(
    I know right, we are all VERY surprised lol
    the ignore list is my new best friend

While I agree it looks lame it is just a mock-up . .not reading much into it other than I wish it was wider.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Remember when people were paying between $500-1000 + shipping for the 200X NECA Castle Grayskull door? People were spending $200-300 + shipping on a custom cast of it, too. You can get an entire Castle Grayskull WITH it's own door for $270 shipped.

I think we should start looking at it like that.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Remember when people were paying between $500-1000 + shipping for the 200X NECA Castle Grayskull door? People were spending $200-300 + shipping on a custom cast of it, too. You can get an entire Castle Grayskull WITH it's own door for $270 shipped.

Yeah, but now, in our 30ies, many of us have wifes & children

Snappy Threader
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post

I agree Darkspecter. The custom thread a while back had some guys taking orders for a custom version......I often wondered why people disliked the prices Matty have, when they were paying a customizer....to be fair though, I am sure the peeps who bought one from a customizer never in their wildest dreams thought we would be getting an official version, AND I haven't seen the custom version so I figure it may be different. Those said people probably won't or can't order a Matty version if they got the custom version already....

I just love this CG that Matty is offering. I have great feelings that it will go through.

Leader of the Evil Horde Hordak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    TBH, I believe that was in response to a question a fan asked - and I don't put a lot of stock in it. Kind of like how whenever anyone makes a request for X-vehicle, he says, "Best way is to buy Wind Raider!" Kind of his stock answer - they could have very well asked for Crystal Castle or Fright Zone or Eternia Towers, whatever and would have gotten the same answer. And if they set their selling numbers high as they have with Grayskull, there is no way we would sell any of the other playsets nearly as much - Grayskull is going to be the most popular, hands down.

While I too would love a Filmation Snake Mountain (the original toy wasn't really a mountain to me - more of a cliff, LOL), I foresee that having even more issues than Grayskull has had. At least Grayskulls all pretty much have the same basic design, whereas there are quite a few disparate versions of Snake Mountain.
    I agree with you in general. You are correct that any promise of another playset after the main castle is wishful thinking or Just a way to get people to buy the castle at this time. I do however believe that the only way any other playsets could be made is to support this one. The only way Snake Mountain, Crystal Castle or Fright Zone would even have a chance is if the Castle Greyskull sale is considered a success by upper management.

Quote Originally Posted by Draego-Man View Post
    I'd rather it be Vintage style myself, or perhaps a mix, but pure Filmation would be a big disappointment in my view.
    My thought is that it just may end up a mix of the vintage and Filmation styles. I wouldnt be surprised if it ended up being kind of like the mini poster of Snake Mountain that came with the TRU Skeletor vs Lex Luthor two pack. All speculation and wishful thinking at this point but I agree with you. I would definitely like a mix of styles for Snake Mountain if it gets made. Mixing the two styles wotuld allow them to really get creative and deliver the best of both worlds.
    "I summon forth the portal to the terrible dimension of Despondos!"