Page 136 of 186 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146 ... LastLast
Results 3,376 to 3,400 of 4645

Thread: MOTUC Castle Grayskull Discussion Thread

Yeah right now I am SUER conflicted on a Hot Toys Royce, Classic Predator, City Predator II, or Avatar's Jake.

The ONLY reasson I would pay $250 - $320 is because of the quality. Let's face it...Predator's Royce dosen't have nearly as big a fan base as MOTU. However, he is the most expensive one out of the ones I am choosing...because of all the AWESOMENESS that makes the figure.

Some of the Hot Toys have better made clothing than alot of actual people do.

I say too its not just about the SIZE but the quality. When you see a Hot Toys figure IRL they are kind of creepy with the amount of detail not to mention how exact the sculpts are.

I said it before and Ill say it again...I'm not a person to buy something just because of what it is. I would gladly spend more for CG if the quality were better.

I mean did you see the Hot Toys Batmobile ($400.00) for the preorder...its a 1/6 scale Batmobile...that thing is CRAZY detailed!

Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter View Post
    What other toyline has released a playset of this magnitude outside of retail that you can compare this price too? Yes, $300 is a lot for a chunk of plastic, but the demand for this playset is among an adult collector audience compared to a retail setting. To turn a profit for making this playset the few people who are going to buy it have to pay a hefty fee for it.

Mattel is a company - their job is to turn the most profit and make their shareholders happy. With a small fan base that buys these items we end up paying more to make these profits happen.

To compare this to a retail price - a nice plastic doll house runs about $150 in the retail market. Castle Grayskull is about $100 more than that. A standard action figure that is in scale to MOTUC is about $15 or more retail. MOTUC runs about $30. Based on the size of the market buying MOTUC items the Castle Grayskull mark up seems about right.
    That wasn't exactly my argument, I'm not comparing CG with another retail Toy set per-se. My argument was for $300 people can get a laptop, or a cool tablet, or two big LEGO sets, or a number of action figures, or a nice BlueRay-Player... etc. They could somehow justify their spending on those purchases that their enjoying.
    Here Mattel and "its supporters" want you to believe that a $300 plastic shell with unsatisfying outcomes is more than a bargain for your money and you should be more than thankful with no questions asked!...

Just because it's labeled Castle-Grayskull it doesn't mean that they're getting anything extra than a cool looking plastic shell toy! At the end of the day if people aren't happy with the results, they have the right to make their voices heard.
    People asked for CG, yes, did Mattel deliver exactly what they've asked/hoped for, no. Is $300 justifiable for it, well it's up to the individual whose making the purchase to decide, however many don't think so...
    People don't care how much this set is costing Mattel to produce, at the the end of the day, either Mattel made the wrong estimates or they're faking it for excuses, and if there was an extra hidden cost, it's Mattel's fault and they should eat it, not the consumer!!!
    People want their $300 justifiable, and if Mattel and their partners cannot deliver, we shouldn't feel sorry for them and accept everything they do...
    Last edited by Darkkosis; February 27, 2013 at 03:49pm.
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Ironically.... I'm exactly the opposite.

I LOVE the robot... but not THAT robot. A hollowed out statue that isn't even 'to scale' with the figures i pretty much useless to me. I had always hoped for a FIGURE fo the robot, but the unarticulated statue??? Meh....

Having that thing around only kills any hope we'll get a BETTER robot later.

And the jet pack??? I think it looks ugly. I would have rather had the gargoyle that was the original elevator string... Jet pack means nothing to me.

What i Don't understand is WHY all the hate for the wind raider stand?!?? YES it's pointless to have that hole there... and YES NOBODY is going to 'park' it there...

But that PIE PIECE... is DANG NEAR REQUIRED to even USE the castle. That half inch 'step' from the base up to the 'main' floor' destroys any 'PLAY' area inside the castle. In the old days we just set it on the floor or a table and that was ALL our 'main floor'.

With that stupid step up, we NEED the extra 'floor space' to have a half way decent battle scened. I absolutely do NOT want that piece cut under ANY circumstances.

BEST possible situation, would be for them to hollow out that base piece... Drop the 'main floor' that inch or so... and lose the pie piece. But ONLY if they lower the floor... It gives us MORE 'main floor' by going back to table space... and would give more headroom on that first floor.

However I doubt they will do that, so by all means GIVE US AS MUCH FLOOR AS POSSIBLE!!!
    It definitely is important as a floor. So why not just make it a floor, then, with sculpted brick patterns? B/c Somebody got a really weird idea to make it a Wind-Raider stand, and won't let the concept go.
    I don't think anything should be cut, but I'd rather see that go than anything else.

Anyway. It is what it is. I'm happy with how it looks, but the preorder was poorly handled.

Heroic Warrior
    Congrats Scott. This Q&A made me go from 95% sure I'd cancel my Pre-order to 100%

Way to go.

Keep your empty miniature castle of contradictions.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Super He-Man View Post
    I doubt it. People were screaming bloody murder about the Hoverboard, and it did just fine.
    So they claim. The board, which supposedly had very limited day of stock, was on sale for over a month before they pulled it. Now they have not archived, but have completely deleted the Hoverboard section on the Matty forums. So, according to them, the Hoverboard never happened and never existed.

It's sad to see that Scott learned nothing from that experience and is taking Castle Grayskull down the same road.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    My problems here aren't about the price; I understand that to make such a huge piece is going to take a huge metal mold that is going to cost thousands of dollars on an item that doesn't have retail level sales numbers. What I'm seeing in the castle as is meets with what I'd expect at this price point at this kind of small production level. I've got no big problem with the accessories or the suit/robot being a hollow piece. I've no great problem with the size; if it's too big, I have no place for it. I'm not even that perturbed about the part for the flight stand (other than the fact no one but folks at Mattel seem to even want it), as I'll hopefully be putting the castle up lengthwise down the middle of the display to utilize both the facade and the interior, meaning that piece likely won't be used at all. I hope thay do fix the jawbridge entrance to give a little more clearance, but that isn't a deal breaker. My problem is tha fact that we were again told one thing and then Mattel changed their mind after the fact. Were I still dealing with Matty, this little turnaround would convince me to never again take a chance on any kind of pre-order without the up front assurance that I could cancel once I saw the finished product (and I'm still firmly convinced we wouldn't have gotten that option if TG hadn't made the mistake of promising the moon and stars in writing). The whole thing was a purchase based in nothing but faith, with nothing but a sheet of plans and a bunch of apparently empty promises. Fans took a huge leap here on Mattel's word, and now we've found that word may mean a lot less to Mattel than it did to us.

Now maybe the castle goes through and we don't lose any of the things we were promised, and all our gnashing of teeth here is for naught. But TG keeps saying things may be cut in direct contradiction to Mattel's assurances when the castle went up for pre-order, so I'm wagering we will likely lose something along the way. And Mattel will lose the last dangling shred of credibility they may have left with us in the process...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    My problems here aren't about the price; I understand that to make such a huge piece is going to take a huge metal mold that is going to cost thousands of dollars on an item that doesn't have retail level sales numbers. What I'm seeing in the castle as is meets with what I'd expect at this price point at this kind of small production level. I've got no big problem with the accessories or the suit/robot being a hollow piece. I've no great problem with the size; if it's too big, I have no place for it. I'm not even that perturbed about the part for the flight stand (other than the fact no one but folks at Mattel seem to even want it), as I'll hopefully be putting the castle up lengthwise down the middle of the display to utilize both the facade and the interior, meaning that piece likely won't be used at all. I hope thay do fix the jawbridge entrance to give a little more clearance, but that isn't a deal breaker. My problem is tha fact that we were again told one thing and then Mattel changed their mind after the fact. Were I still dealing with Matty, this little turnaround would convince me to never again take a chance on any kind of pre-order without the up front assurance that I could cancel once I saw the finished product (and I'm still firmly convinced we wouldn't have gotten that option if TG hadn't made the mistake of promising the moon and stars in writing). The whole thing was a purchase based in nothing but faith, with nothing but a sheet of plans and a bunch of apparently empty promises. Fans took a huge leap here on Mattel's word, and now we've found that word may mean a lot less to Mattel than it did to us.

Now maybe the castle goes through and we don't lose any of the things we were promised, and all our gnashing of teeth here is for naught. But TG keeps saying things may be cut in direct contradiction to Mattel's assurances when the castle went up for pre-order, so I'm wagering we will likely lose something along the way. And Mattel will lose the last dangling shred of credibility they may have left with us in the process...

What do you mean with "...Mattel...credibility...". I don't understand

By that same token, people need to stop acting like Mattel owes THEM anything. I've yet to meet someone who bought something they didn't want as a personal favor to Mattel.
    You haven't met anyone who subscribed?

Okay, maybe that's not "as a personal favor to Mattel," but there are certainly a lot of people who have agreed to buy figures they don't want in order to get figures they do want and/or to keep the line going. Mattel certainly benefits from that, because, as has been rehashed ad nauseum, if they weren't making a profit on this line, they wouldn't be making it. Does Mattel owe fans anything for that? Beyond what they've promised, no. But at issue here is that customers who preordered Grayskull based on Scott's promises feel that those promises aren't being kept, and they are therefore entirely within their rights to be disappointed (and to cancel their orders). To go back to the sub, if the promise to subbers was "you will definitely get 12 figures if you subscribe" and then Mattel releases 11 figures and an additional torso with arms attached, they haven't fulfilled the promise that was made when those people subscribed.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    That's definitely a big component. It's not accurate to compare the MOTUC Castle Grayskull to the TMNT Secret Sewer Lair. TMNT is selling VERY strong at retail. Meanwhile, MOTUC is a niche line sold online with very little outside entertainment support.

That is in no way a pass for any criticisms you all have. I too would like the jawbridge to lower more and give some more entrance way clearance. But MOTUC's price points cannot compare with an IP that is currently more popular like TMNT or with an IP that is consistently more popular like Star Wars.

This line is self-sustaining. Scott works on MOTUC a lot in his spare time, believe it or not, in order to help keep the line going. The 4H constantly put a lot of extra love and man/woman-hours into the line to make it look the best it can. And our passion and continued financial support as dedicated fans and collectors of MOTU and POP, despite frustrations with DR, QC, etc, continues to keep this line going in an age where many toy lines would have died off by now.

I think it's also a bit telling that no film company or studio has been chomping at the bit to do MOTU or invest the time and money into it. Transformers raked in the dough in 2007 and has had three films. But, no one has rolled out the red carpet for a MOTU film in almost six years since. Still, I have hope! It can still happen given the right timing with the right set of circumstances. *crosses fingers*
    You also have to factor in that the TMNT playset had entire sections made of cardboard with a printed image on it and there is minimal paint apps..and it is scaled for much smaller figures.
    http://www.DoomKick.com -Toys reviews, news, and a whole lot of Kicking!

Jessica Drew (Spider-Woman) is back!! Crow's Avatar
    I'm sorry to say this, but I don't think many people will still be happy with CG when they do the final reveal at SDCC. Even if they do raise the jawbridge height I'm sure that there will still be nitpicking. This is meant to be a playset, not a real castle. People are calling it Cottage Grayskull. I mean, really?! I'm just not sure that there's much positivity on here. Every time something new is revealed, it's just not good enough. Over at the Sideshow Freaks message board people are generally happy with what's coming. Here, it's usually doom and gloom.

I love CG. The 4HM have knocked it out of the park! Now, why is it that no one has criticized them for the size of the jawbridge? Surely Scott didn't impose it to be that small while holding a gun to their head? I believe they tried to get as close to the foam mock up as possible. I give kudos to them for such excellent work. Hurry up December '13, can't wait to have this in my collection.
    Crow T. Robot
    "Mike, what the hell is this?!"

"Into the sea of waking dreams, I follow without pride"---Sarah McLachlan Possession

Heroic Warrior
    People keep saying Mattel promised us everything on the b sheet. I don't remember that. The sale page says "Ideally, the set will include everything shown in the initial sculpt and in the “B sheet” product drawings to the left, but please remember these are working drawings and aren’t final yet." "One last thing… because this is a work-in-progress, features may be added or removed from the proposed design, but we can’t confirm anything now." Did it say anything different before other than the part about the sculpt? I'm pretty sure it always said that last part at least.
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

DC, Marvel, MOTU, and TMNT for sale:
    DC Marvel MOTUC & TMNT For Sale

My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

So, even more things can be cut from CG? Unreal. Honestly, for $250 we should get everything with this

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    I'm sorry to say this, but I don't think many people will still be happy with CG when they do the final reveal at SDCC. Even if they do raise the jawbridge height I'm sure that there will still be nitpicking. This is meant to be a playset, not a real castle. People are calling it Cottage Grayskull. I mean, really?! I'm just not sure that there's much positivity on here. Every time something new is revealed, it's just not good enough. Over at the Sideshow Freaks message board people are generally happy with what's coming. Here, it's usually doom and gloom.

I love CG. The 4HM have knocked it out of the park! Now, why is it that no one has criticized them for the size of the jawbridge? Surely Scott didn't impose it to be that small while holding a gun to their head? I believe they tried to get as close to the foam mock up as possible. I give kudos to them for such excellent work. Hurry up December '13, can't wait to have this in my collection.
    On a side note, I was able to buy a dvd sound system for $80 the other night--CG is 3 times times that much. People have a right to expect the stars and moon for CG when paying this much

I agree there is too much negativity here most of the time--and I personally am pretty happy with CG. That being said, for $250 people have a right to expect alot honestly. I don't get the vitriol over Jitsu's head being too small etc..., but I do understand the frustration some feel with shelling out alot of money and having the product not maybe meeting a VERY high standard.
    Last edited by He-Kal; February 27, 2013 at 03:24pm.

Heroic Warrior
    People keep saying Mattel promised us everything on the b sheet. I don't remember that. The sale page says "Ideally, the set will include everything shown in the initial sculpt and in the “B sheet” product drawings to the left, but please remember these are working drawings and aren’t final yet." "One last thing… because this is a work-in-progress, features may be added or removed from the proposed design, but we can’t confirm anything now." Did it say anything different before other than the part about the sculpt? I'm pretty sure it always said that last part at least.
    i found it myself.

http://www.mattycollector.com/store/...0#.US5pb9uF-24

Ideally, the set will include everything shown in the “B sheet” product drawings to the left, but please remember these are working drawings and aren’t final yet. We hope to reveal the final sculpt around New York Toy Fair in February 2013.
    If produced, this will be the largest, most ambitious MOTUC item ever made – the dimensions are expected to be somewhere around 25”h x 26”w x 28”d (subject to change) and it’s in scale with most MOTUC figures (your MOTUC He-Man® will fit through the front door). See the video below featuring a foam mockup for an idea of how big this thing really is!
    One last thing… because this is a work-in-progress, features may be added or removed from the proposed design, but we can’t confirm anything now.
    I get being disappointed, but it's unfair to say Scott or Mattel lied to us. People tend to remember what they want to remember.
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

DC, Marvel, MOTU, and TMNT for sale:
    DC Marvel MOTUC & TMNT For Sale

My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

Chewer of Trollans
    It was cool seeing all the castles together in ToyGuru's video. It really highlighted the difference of the 200x castle. It's pretty great that they are working on the jaw-bridge. I'm pumped.
    I would like to know why the trap door was placed where it is. It's confounding. Still, I think it can only get better, so bring it on.
    Still, I can't wait to hug the castle--I mean play with the castle--I mean display the castle. My then four year old and I will have some epic adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post

I agree!!! Great post! Thank you for that!!

I appreciate the honest and realistic answers, but it still doesn't stop me from getting angry about a few key things.
    1) It is a no-brainer that if you are going to include a trap door and a dungeon, that the figure should drop right into the dungeon instead of several inches outside of it. Whoever made that call, I can't even pretend to know what they were thinking on that one. Why somebody didn't provide input during the creation of the trapdoor and dungeon so that they actually work together is beyond me. Can we expect the same thing to happen to a MOTUC update of the classic Snake Mountain playset? "They fall through the trap door, and onto the floor a few inches away from the net!"
    2) If they can look into creating slots for the Sorceress' wings, hopefully they are keeping in mind caped figures (like King He-Man!) ability to sit as well!
    3) That Wind Radier base is so reviled that I can't believe that they aren't seriously taking feedback about it into consideration. Very stubborn and something I don't think they should be so very unyielding on, if you ask me. You can say "It was announced in the blueprint specs" or whatnot, but even then it didn't make a lick of sense, so I really can not comprehend the NEED for it to be included. I would MUCH rather have the accessories shown at NYTF kept "in" and the pie piece taken "out". I mean, if they can knock accessories off the final version, why couldn't they do the same for the unwanted Wind Raider stand?

- - - Updated - - -

I seem to recall ToyGuru telling us that what was shown in the B-sheet was the minimum we would be getting, that there "may be more" but "not less" than what we saw. Or am I crazy?
    Last edited by zodak74; February 27, 2013 at 03:57pm.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlaird View Post
    Nobody cares that the trap door doesn't drop into the dungeon?!?!
    That seems like the biggest craziness of the entire situation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I know.

I figured that would be their answer. :/

All they have to do is paint a key on the wall just inside of the Grayskull entrance, and it will make perfect sense to me. Instead of dropping the enemy inside of the dungeon, they will get dropped just outside of it where they can go grab the key on the wall and release anyone who is already in there.

On a separate and more serious note, if Mattel does ever release additional separate accessories that we can buy for the Castle, I think they should release a stand/pedestal that can be plugged into the Wind Raider hole, and instead of putting the wind Raider there, people can display either the Bronze King Grayksull figure or Castle Grayskullman on it (or anyone they want for that matter, but these two would make the most sense). It would make this useless feature a bit more useful.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Make Prahvus please!! marndt8448's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    I seem to recall ToyGuru telling us that what was shown in the B-sheet was the minimum we would be getting, that there "may be more" but "not less" than what we saw. Or am I crazy?
    No zodak74, you're not crazy. There's a vid with Scot saying that (Darkspecter posted it #2897 of this thread)

.... but then as has already been stated some people tend to remember what they want to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    All they have to do is paint a key on the wall just inside of the Grayskull entrance, and it will make perfect sense to me. Instead of dropping the enemy inside of the dungeon, they will get dropped just outside of it where they can go grab the key on the wall and release anyone who is already in there.

But that would increase the cost because of the deco. So Mattel "promises to include Scare Glow's key in a future Weapons Pack."
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by marndt8448 View Post
    No zodak74, you're not crazy. There's a vid with Scot saying that (Darkspecter posted it #2897 of this thread)

.... but then as has already been stated some people tend to remember what they want to remember.
    The problem is Scott says the dungeon grate on the b-sheet was a sticker, so what he said was true from his perspective. People can disagree with this, but there it is. So far nothing else on the b-sheet is different. That's the problem with the (rather pointless, I think) exercise in trying to "catch" him/Mattel with some phrasing here or there. Let's face it, the big problem people are having is with the size. So none of this b-sheet talk has anything to do with that because nowhere was it said the size would stay the same.

I get being disappointed, but it's unfair to say Scott or Mattel lied to us. People tend to remember what they want to remember.
    Watch this video between 21:05-21:35, where Scott is stating that they might put more into it, but not less than what was shown in the (B-sheet)!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt36q...layer_embedded

In general, Scott says a lot of things and keeps retracting from them whenever he needs to or whenever he feels like it...
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    @ Jonwes:Nope , the candle holder is missing

The problem I see is that TG gets really excited about this stuff and ahead of himself...
    then, he has to backpedal a bit regarding all this comments he makes in the heat of the moment...
    Which is a huge risk considering how OCD some fans are and will remember and take notes of every single thing he says, or does...
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkkosis View Post
    Here Mattel and "its supporters" want you to believe that a $300 plastic shell with unsatisfying outcomes is more than a bargain for your money and you should be more than thankful with no questions asked!...

People don't care how much this set is costing Mattel to produce, at the the end of the day, either Mattel made the wrong estimates or they're faking it for excuses, and if there was an extra hidden cost, it's Mattel's fault and they should eat it, not the consumer!!!
    People want their $300 justifiable, and if Mattel and their partners cannot deliver, we shouldn't feel sorry for them and accept everything they do...
    I agree with this. As a customer, I don't have any interest in Mattel's reasons. If they can't deliver a product I feel worthy 400$ (around 340-360€ depending on shipping), I won't buy it. It's not my job to be thankful, what Mattel is doing, I reward them with my earned money. That has to be enough.

As long as I get my favorite figures, I won't miss the castle.

Quote Originally Posted by JimPansen View Post
    @ Jonwes:Nope , the candle holder is missing
    Is it missing? For some reason I had it in my head it just hadn't made it, and that was what controlled the trap door for some reason. Huh.

Not that I've seen a lot of "No Candle Holder, We Riot" sentiments.