Page 32 of 186 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Castle Grayskull Discussion Thread

Yea alot of issues with the price point for an item of this degree it seems. I too like the idea of taking a subscrption for Castle Greyskull or playsets in genral. Surely if people sign up for it then its a winner!? I guess if not then the only option is to make our own or buy others that are already cast by fans. Its a massive area to get into I guess, I just think a playset is well overdue.

I think this case has been made to Toyguru in the past. His argument is that in order to offer Castle Grayskull (even under a subscription or pre-order model) they would still have to create a prototype: the customers would want to see what they were getting for their $200-$300. As it stands, the line can't afford the resources to even make that prototype.

Personally, I wouldn't need to see a prototype. All I'd need to know is that it's a Castle Grayskull, and I'd already be opening my wallet. But I don't think I'm the typical fan in that regard.

I wouldnt be suprised if the FOUR HORSEMEN have worked on the drawings already, maybe even in their own time, as they love this line so much That would work for me, just the drawings...Maybe Scott and the Four Horsemen could club together with their wages seeing as they all must be making a buck since this line started and get us a prototype? lol Or are we gonna have to do a sub for a protype of Greyskull first?!? LOL
    Last edited by skeletorous; February 15, 2012 at 10:26am. Reason: adding a comment

Heroic Warrior
    I think the prototype should come out of TG's pocket. That I would totally 100% respect.

You want TG to personally pay for a prototype? Wouldn't that be awfully expensive for one person to fund?
    Right or wrong, buying a sub tells Mattel you want more MOTUC figures. Not buying does tells them you don't. Don't let MOTUC end early because you might not like their marketing strategy! Plus polls show you won't regret subbing!

One of the true fan minority - happy MOTU fans!

www.marveltoys.net - the source for marvel figure information.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Seril View Post
    You want TG to personally pay for a prototype? Wouldn't that be awfully expensive for one person to fund?
    He's good for it.

It's a win win situation. We get a Castle Grayskull, and TG get's to say. "I paid for this with my own money guys."

I've thought about Castle Grayskull recently, and I think the best way would be to do it in 2 parts (back and front) The back part could incude the Sorceress throne room, so if you don't buy the front part, you still have a sort of diarama piece to display your Sorceress! So the inside is the Sorceress throne (as in the Filmation cartoon, with maybe some slight inspiration from the toy version) and the outside is the detailed back of the castle.

Then the front piece (sold separately) is the jaw bridge, detailed front skull (Filmation style!) and the inside could be a plain entrance, but to make up for the other part having the throne, the front could come with the accessories the original playset did, except the Weapons Rack since that has already been released.

Then design both pieces so they can be hinged together like the vintage playset. There you go! 2 seperate diarama pieces or combine both for a Castle! I think that is the best way to do it, so folks aren't spending a fortune all in one go and if they miss out on one piece, they can still buy the other for a diarama type toy for the figures.
    10 figures I still need: 10/Peekablue, 9/Sssqueeze, 8/Lizard Man, 7/Hunga the Harpy, 6/Gwildor, 5/Filmation Clawful, 4/Mermista, 3/Tung Lashor, 2/Dylamug, 1/Queen Angella.

Heroic Warrior
    I think it should be big and one piece. About 3 X 2.5 X 1.5 in feet. It can be a shell like the original and have at least 2 floors. It wouldn't be heavy, just big so shipping wouldn't be horrendous.

Heroic Warrior
    Hasn't it been made fairly clear to us that at least at this point, Castle Grayskull is a pipe dream?
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Heroic Warrior
    I hope if they eventually get to it one day they will use the official plans as a diagram.

GrayskullCutaway.jpg

I couldn't care less about the 'inside' - all I want is a diorama piece like the one that came with Ghostbusters Puff Marshmellow figure and I'm happy! It can be done in 3D like those 3D posters that MacFairlain was doing years back (Jaws and Alien among others) - it would be just super great - I don't need a 'brick' on my shelf with 'guts' that only takes place which BTW I don't have nor would I play with - I'm not 10 anymore ;-) But to have it as a 'backdrop' - that would be awsome!!
    Creative web design studio from London - Handcrafted pixels since 2004

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by robaczek View Post
    I couldn't care less about the 'inside' - all I want is a diorama piece like the one that came with Ghostbusters Puff Marshmellow figure and I'm happy! It can be done in 3D like those 3D posters that MacFairlain was doing years back (Jaws and Alien among others) - it would be just super great - I don't need a 'brick' on my shelf with 'guts' that only takes place which BTW I don't have nor would I play with - I'm not 10 anymore ;-) But to have it as a 'backdrop' - that would be awsome!!

Which Scott said wouldn't happen as it was supposedly "all or nothing".

Evil Henchman of Hordak Louis649's Avatar
    As a fan I would love to see a CG scaled playset for the MOTUC figures with all the accessories and parts that came out with the vintage playset but it would cost easily $400-500 bucks each one. I don't see Mattel doing a financial risk like that. Not all the fans would want to buy and/or afford it. What would be made in a future if they decide too in my opinion is a diorama piece with the front part of the castle with maybe the rock entrance part that connects to the jawbridge for $150 to $200. That's the way I can see CG being made affordable for the people who want to buy it and at the same time profitable for the company. It's a win-win situation for both parts.
    I'm Skeletor, master of evil! All of you should show respect for the awful one.

I am Grizzlor #1 fan!

Heroic Warrior
    i don't see why it would cost $400 or $500 dollars... It's a plastic shell with plastic parts. If you want a giant fortress (picture in post #504) then that would be expensive. I'd be happy with a giant version of the vintage castle front half. Of course it would have to have nicer paint apps and plenty of accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    Hasn't it been made fairly clear to us that at least at this point, Castle Grayskull is a pipe dream?
    "Maybe in a movie year."

Seriously though, it doesn't seem likely. It would probably also be a choice between getting the castle or getting 6 more figures, maybe more.

Heroic Warrior
    I think Mattel's big concern is spending the money for tooling while not knowing if it will generate an adequate return and profit. It is risky because even if it's $200, fans would probably be stuck debating with themselves if they should fork over that kind of money for a playset. I personally wouldn't have a problem spending big bucks for it and I'm poor. Plus at this time, the way things are going now with the line (and matty can deny it all they want, they need to get their **** together) it might not be the right time to try and sell such a big package.

Even if they wanted to make it a sub. They would really need to spend the money and sculpt it and make a prototype to show the fans what they would be getting. It would be crazy to make an investment like that without seeing what it looks like.

I really don't understand why Mattel wont do a CG like they are doing the hover board from BTTF. Put out some plans of what it will look like, a price and have a preorder 9 months in advance.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    Well if we didn't spend time discussing "pipe dreams" then there would be a lot less threads going. Some things that we discuss are FAR more unlikely than CG but it's still fun to talk about them
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
    Well if we didn't spend time discussing "pipe dreams" then there would be a lot less threads going. Some things that we discuss are FAR more unlikely than CG but it's still fun to talk about them
    Agree 100%. It's always fun to talk about stuff we want with MOTUC. The demand for this is definitely there, there's no reason why it can't be done the way it should've been done originally with the original plans for it including the mat underneath.
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

Support The Power & Honor Foundation

Power-Con/ThunderCon... now going green with TMNT!

Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar
    Is there no other company that could do a skull faced castle diorama that looks enough like Grayskull without Mattel being able to sue?
    He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!

Golems for 2016! AdultCollector's Avatar
    I would be curious to see what kind of qulaity control issues Mattel would need to deal with if they ever made an official MOTUC Castle Grayskull playset. This also makes me want to learn about and compare the quality control issues the company had with the vintage toy line, to the modern MOTUC toy line.

TG keeps saying that there is "more to come" for the 30th anniversary year.

Does anybody else think that certain things he has stated in the past is just to throw us off?

What is the one thing that could end the 30th...kinda like a giant "grand finale?"

I know that Granamyr is coming this year...but I think Grayskull will be revealed at SDCC for late first quarter 2013. (Either that...or they'll announce that it will be coming 4th quarter 2013 with some kind of vote, pre-sale, etc.)

They're doing a presale for the BTTF HoverBoard so I can see them doing this for Grayskull.

I'd love a "build-a-castle" model for Grayskull. That way, they could sell us parts of the castle at reasonable enough price points to allow them to put the detail and love into them that they deserve. This would also allow those who just want a few of them as mini-diorama pieces to buy those pieces but would also allow those of us who want the whole castle to eventually have all the parts we need to build a completed castle.

Here are my ideal (6) parts that could be displayed separately but could also combine...

1) Jaw Bridge (lower outside)
    2) Turrets (upper outside)
    3) Throne Room (upper inside)
    4) Dungeon (inside lower inside)
    5) Weapons/Training Room (lower inside)
    6) Command center/sword chamber (upper inside)

In fact, I'd probably end up buying multiple outside pieces so I could use one as a backdrop to display figures and still have a complete castle.

If a Grayskull were ever made, do you want electronics in it?

This is based on the hoverboard vs Grayskull thread TG was listing out things they have to factor in and announce and he mentioned lights, sounds etc. That made me think about it and I really wouldn't want lights and sounds with a new Grayskull. I'd rather they make more mechanical based features. I'd like the original action features and more.
    how about you guys?
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Warrior
    No, but it sounds like toyguru does...