Page 39 of 186 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Castle Grayskull Discussion Thread

It's pretty funny seeing people post "Shut up and buy it!" and "For the love of god pre-order Castle Grayskull!".

On one hand I realize that this is in many ways our collective holy grail, far above and beyond our individual clammorings and hopes for certain vehicles and figures.

On the other hand, we love this line so much that that we want all of it to be perfect and go on for as many years as possible, and we certainly don't always get perfect, so we raise our voices (a bit too aggressively at times) and will get every bit of input we can offer, so Mattel and the design team can make the best decisions and give us the very best products.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulff View Post
    $200 seems pretty cheap for big playset like this. Also including a figure for a slightly higher price - ($20-25 more) would be a great incentive to get more people on board.

My suggestion for a figure to include: SPIRIT OF GRAYSKULL. It requires zero new tooling, is a figure most fans never expected they could own, and is appropriate to the playset.
    Other suggestion for a figure could be a white space suit (white version of Marlena) with maybe either new scultped head or a black visor.
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    Personally I prefer the Filmation castle, but a hybrid between Filmation, Boxart and vintage toy would be ideal... I hope, they reveal some awesome skechtes next month to make good PR for the preorder.

I don't want a simple upscale of the vintage toy. I want an improved sculpt.
    That's precisely what the Icon Heroes statue is: an improved sculpt based on a hybrid of box art, vintage and Filmation. It's a near-perfect rendition, touched by the genius of the 4H, with only a few minor improvable details. If they would simply correct those few details (make the eyebrows look organic rather than brick, remove the odd center tooth, and make the top ball decoration removable), then rescale that sculpt into Classics size, slice it into four chunks (the front/fašade, the skeletal rear-and-roof, and the two laterals, with some easy snapping-together mechanism to open/close it), and then sculpt the interior side of each chunk, cast it in plastic, and that's it; that would be a perfect MotUC CG. And in one go they could release it both as a full-building (the 4 snappable pieces) and as a fašade-only (the front piece alone), to cater both to the CG-as-playset and to the CG-as-background audiences.

No need whatsoever to try to reinvent the wheel by scrapping the near-perfect sculpt the 4H have already done for the Icon Heroes statue, and start all over again from that obscure unrefined early prototype very few people care about, to finally give us a lame 2-sided rendition that fans didn't ask for. I can't for the life of me understand why on Earth they don't go the most obvious way. Do people remember any fans requesting a CG based on that obscure early prototype? It seems to me it's only Toyguru who would want it that way, backpedalling from his earlier statements that if they did CG, it would be a full castle.

As for the robot and other interior props—including Filmation's Sorceress throne and mirror, the vintage throne/Zodac's chair, and the vintage laser cannon and training device (the vintage elevator I can easily do without)—I'd much prefer that they were offered separately as accessories at a later date, just like the Weapons Rack and Point Dread. That way they wouldn't impact the price tag for the castle's main structure.

And as for the price, even if it had to be in the $300-$400 range for the full building, we'll be having one whole year to save up for it (that would be about $30 per month, i.e. about the price of one monthly figure). To put such a price into perspective, LEGO's Death Star and Super Star Destroyer each sell for $399.99 (and that's a mass-produced item available at retail)—which maybe is not for everyone's pocket (if not willing to save up for it), but the mind-boggling awesomeness of those LEGO sets are well worth that money. Same for Hasbro's jaw-dropping Millenium Falcon, which is about half the size of a Classics Grayskull and retails for $179.99. In both cases, they didn't skimp on the final product just to lower its price tag (even if it meant a higher price point than many customers would have preferred), and as a result customers get gold for their money.

Please, Mattel, give us the truly definitive, full Castle Grayskull (in Icon Heroes statue's image) this brand deserves, that won't pale in comparison with LEGO's Death Star or Hasbro's Millenium Falcon. Don't cheapen it or compromise it just to lower the price tag. If it has to be as expensive as LEGO's Death Star in order for it to be done right, so be it. People who can't afford a $300+ price tag right now, might be able to save up to afford it at a later date (if not directly from Mattel, there's always the resellers); whereas there's not going to be any later chance to have a definitive Castle Grayskull produced if Mattel cheapens out on it at this unique one-and-only time.
    Last edited by uaxuctum; September 23, 2012 at 12:49pm. Reason: typo
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Heroic Warrior
    I do like the idea of a new Castle Greyskull but 2 bills.I don't know.We haven't even seen a picture of it yet let alone what kind of features it will have.there are a lot of unkowns about this.

Quote Originally Posted by cryanmchsi View Post
    I do like the idea of a new Castle Greyskull but 2 bills.I don't know.We haven't even seen a picture of it yet let alone what kind of features it will have.there are a lot of unkowns about this.
    I think we'll know more by this time next month.

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    That's precisely what the Icon Heroes statue is: an improved sculpt based on a hybrid of box art, vintage and Filmation. It's a near-perfect rendition, touched by the genius of the 4H, with only a few minor improvable details. If they would simply correct those few details (make the eyebrows look organic rather than brick, remove the odd center tooth, and make the top ball decoration removable), then rescale that sculpt into Classics size, slice it into four chunks (the front/fašade, the skeletal rear-and-roof, and the two laterals, with some easy snapping-together mechanism to open/close it), and then sculpt the interior side of each chunk, cast it in plastic, and that's it; that would be a perfect MotUC CG. And in one go they could release it both as a full-building (the 4 snappable pieces) and as a fašade-only (the front piece alone), to cater both to the CG-as-playset and to the CG-as-background audiences.
    Compare the Icon Heroes Grayskull with the Taylor prototype. They are VERY similar! They both have the extra ledge across the left tower. They both have the ball thingie on top. They both have relatively short fangs on either side of the doorway. The major difference is the brick brow ridge. So I think there's a good chance that this Grayskull is going to be very similar to the Icon Heroes one. The original toy and the Icon have an odd number of teeth. It's hard to tell how many teeth the Taylor prototype sculpt has (it looks to me like it has a gap in the middle). I think you're jumping the gun a bit on criticizing the design, because what we have already seen (sculpted by the Horsemen as you accurately point out) is already very inspired by the Taylor prototype. Now they have feedback that fans don't necessarily love the brick brow ridge. Literally everything remains to be seen, but I really think that you'll get the majority of your (design) wishes granted.

Your argument about the castle needing all 4 sides is a valid one. I don't agree with you because I think it would be way too big to live on a shelf. It would be like 2 feet deep (or more!) One would need a table to display it. The classic toy clam sell version is a decent compromise, but imperfect. I personally hope they go 200X style with its opening mechanism. Again, imperfect, but if both sides can open a full 180 degrees, you can really get a big wide castle that is suitable both for display and play.

(I will say that I do really like your idea of selling it in 4 pieces. But if they did each side as a preorder, I'm sure the sales would be lopsided and they may not get produced. It's a rad idea, but I just don't know how practical it is.)

Come from the land of the ice and snow...
    I have over $500 invested in a custom I am making (pics in my profile)... and I will still pre-order this one.

I'm gona be on the fence about this until we get more info. I've already got the classic Grayskull from when I was a kid, and the 200X one as a gift back before the 200X line died off. I can't fit many large items in the 'ol collection, and I'm not getting rid of either castle, OR my Ghostbuster house.

Main thing will be seeing the specs and what they plan to offer. I'm already still going back and forth on Granaymr, and this is gona be a WAY bigger investment, especially with the fact that we're getting a house soon. If I'm gona afford the castle, I'll need to cut off most of the other things in the toy budget. I guess we'll see...
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Are there any images of the INTERIOR of the Mark Taylor castle concept? I can't find the image that was used in Scott's presentation. It looks like it has much more "scene dynamics" than the later versions made. I love what I am seeing.
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

Not that I've been able to find. I've only been able to find the exterior, and the Skull Island illustration.

Decent pic of the latter here: http://www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk/castlegrayskull.html

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post
    Filmation is still the most iconic version of the castle
    Vintage Castle Grayskull is one of the most iconic and memorable toys ever made, period, and definitely the coolest. Sorry, not even close.

For me, nothing beats the Filmation castle. It looked terrific from every angle. Very mysterious, iconic and awesome. Kids around the world recognize that.

I know there will be people pleased to see something more based on the vintage playset...but don't you find it really...wonky looking? All asymmetrical and loosey-goosey?

That original design sketch turns me off. Definitely even rougher and weirder than the original playset.

I'll be skipping this. If it were Filmation, I'd be there!

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    I like Joe's castle size the best, and hope they can hit something in that range.
    Who is writing your character again?
    2012 Create a character Runners up Mini-Sub please!!! I needs Bubblor and Major Header.

The filmation design is the definitive Castle Grayskull for me, I'm afraid. The fang-pillars, spinal column and turrets are a major MUST HAVE on any MOTUC CG. Sorry!
    "This is a rather shameless promotion"

"Worked on me!"

"Me too!"

Quote Originally Posted by Moominsthenmotu View Post
    The filmation design is the definitive Castle Grayskull for me, I'm afraid. The fang-pillars, spinal column and turrets are a major MUST HAVE on any MOTUC CG. Sorry!
    I do have to agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    Vintage Castle Grayskull is one of the most iconic and memorable toys ever made, period,
    True, however millions of people watched the cartoon. I still have all my vintage toys including Castle Grayskull, and when someone mentions He-Man and Castle Grayskull, Filmation is the first image that pops into my head. Not the toy.

Sorry, you're mistaken. A legendary, iconic cartoon watched by millions of fans across the world is an image, for most people, that going to trump a toy not every child owned. A toy, no matter how popular, simply can't compete with the multimedia exposure of a cartoon like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    I also love the classic toy but the Mark Taylor prototype has a butt ugly overbite and small tiny teeth that does not fit in with the many images of castle Grayskull over the years that have all had very prominent teeth. From Filmation, classic toy play set, to the 2K play set and the MYP verson and Mattel's own SDCC convention grayskull all had large and pronounced teeth, it's an iconic element essential to any MOTUC Castle Grayskull. All of the designs might have differed over the years but thay all had big and prominent teeth. The Castle Grayskull playset needs to delever an iconic look for the face of grayskull. For that price I want my socks knocked off. Something like this for the face and jawbridge would be perfect IMO. It is similar to both the classic toy and Filmation Castle Grayskull face. Best of both worlds and could hook fans of both looks into pre-ordering!
    I agree. I'd be fine if they went with the Classic box art as well. It's the big teeth in the front of the castle that really give it it's iconic look.
    Last edited by Thrawn29; September 23, 2012 at 04:34pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post
    Sorry, you're mistaken.
    I really don't think I am We'll just have to agree to disagree, esp. as I will lay into filmation in a very bad way (not a knock on the castle though, which is 'okay'). Not owning a toy has nothing to do with recognizing it's iconic designs. I never owned a Battle Ram, Wind Raider, etc.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    They say it's "based on" the Taylor prototype, not a "slavish recreation" of the Taylor prototype, so maybe they will depart a little bit from it. I too hope it takes cues from the Filmation design (the face, mainly), but really, I'll be happy with just about anything they put out. I even liked the 200X version, and that thing had a terrible face.
    This. Saying it's based on the prototype really means nothing. Everyone remember the Reliquiray that came with Scareglow? THAT was based on the prototype too. (Ie. Little ledge on the right tower, pawn on top...) and STILL looks fantastic.

I'd be VERY happy if that was what we got.

In FACT... continuity wise... I'd be a LITTLE disappointed if they DIDN'T stick with that

Honestly, as a kid, I never really noticed a DIFFERENCE in filmation and toy... they were BOTH awesome.

As for the Price?? They got VERY lucky I'm been on a spending spree right now... 2 years ago, $200 would have been a deal breaker. It's STILL kind of insane...

However, I JUST bought a an old school diecast Voltron for $100.... I'm 3 lions in for the Mattel version... and THAT will end up being what? $250? $300? Afraid to do the math there.... I was just looking at the MW Veihicel Voltron coming out for Preorder... and that's about $250... TEMPTED... since I'm trying to pay for college in january... and MAY still do it. I'm not a FAN of Vehicle Voltron... but the articulation and detail on that is AWESOME...

Soooo $200 for a CASTLE GRAYSKULL?!?!?

That sounds AWESOME right now!!!

NOW... I'm coming in LATE here... WHAT do we know about this??

1) WHEN does the Pre-order happen? Start, Finish??

2) WHEN do they CHARGE us??

3) When are we expecting it to be released??

Has any of this been determined yet? Or is that still up in the air?

Vintage Castle Grayskull (and artwork/painting) is the most iconic. Booyah!
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Vintage Castle Grayskull (and artwork/painting) is the most iconic. Booyah!
    I agree ... nothing beats the vintage castle and the early mini-comics

"A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Man o man I can't wait for Grayskull! I really hope we can get enough pre orders up to make this happen.. the holy grail of MOTUC in my mind.
    Perfect world we will blast the required number of pre orderes out of the watre and then the year after get Snake Mountain!!
    http://www.DoomKick.com -Toys reviews, news, and a whole lot of Kicking!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    I'm gona be on the fence about this until we get more info. I've already got the classic Grayskull from when I was a kid, and the 200X one as a gift back before the 200X line died off. I can't fit many large items in the 'ol collection, and I'm not getting rid of either castle, OR my Ghostbuster house.

Main thing will be seeing the specs and what they plan to offer. I'm already still going back and forth on Granaymr, and this is gona be a WAY bigger investment, especially with the fact that we're getting a house soon. If I'm gona afford the castle, I'll need to cut off most of the other things in the toy budget. I guess we'll see...
    You pretty much yanked my thoughts from my brain.

SCB mentioned on Fwoosh that Scott wants to make it 4 sided!!!
    Gaping holes in my collection: Regular old Teela, Weapons pack 1, Power & Honour book 1, SDCC artbook (maybe)

Err, no...he said it won't be 4 sided.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB
    Scott said it won't be four sided. It will be exactly like the Vintage toy, opens up with three levels, basically everything the Vintage had.

That's fine. I would ideally like the other side, and can live without the back. But as the going rate seems to be $100 per wall, I'm glad it's NOT four sides, lol