Page 40 of 186 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 4645

Thread: MOTUC Castle Grayskull Discussion Thread

I think it would be cool to have a false wall to hide castle greyskull man behind, ya know, for when you need him the most. I know it's kinda dorky, but we're all goin back to when we were kids and how much we loved this play set.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Quote Originally Posted by rankinman View Post
    I think it would be cool to have a false wall to hide castle greyskull man behind, ya know, for when you need him the most. I know it's kinda dorky, but we're all goin back to when we were kids and how much we loved this play set.
    A third wall of the castle would be ideal for that kind of thing.
    Would people be willing to pay $300 to get the right side of the castle included? Just curious

Put me down for 2.

I have my 200X CG in my display but I'll gladly replace it for a Classics version.

Will the castle be made with black plastic?

I can only imagine with the amount of paint aps this would require it would be cheaper and make more sense to start with a base "Grayskull green" and do a dark wash over it. I'm no toy designer/manufacturer though so what do I know?
    http://www.DoomKick.com -Toys reviews, news, and a whole lot of Kicking!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post
    True, however millions of people watched the cartoon. I still have all my vintage toys including Castle Grayskull, and when someone mentions He-Man and Castle Grayskull, Filmation is the first image that pops into my head. Not the toy.

Sorry, you're mistaken. A legendary, iconic cartoon watched by millions of fans across the world is an image, for most people, that going to trump a toy not every child owned. A toy, no matter how popular, simply can't compete with the multimedia exposure of a cartoon like that.
    Then again, everyone didn't see the cartoon back then, particularly international fans who have no Filmation nostalgia. But they did have the actual playset. Others had the playset before the cartoon aired.

LOL! When Filmation goes head-to-head against the Vintage toyline!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Then again, everyone didn't see the cartoon back then, particularly international fans who have no Filmation nostalgia. But they did have the actual playset. Others had the playset before the cartoon aired.

I had a few of the figures in 1982 before the Filmation cartoon aired in 1983, and because of the mini-comics art the vintage Grayskull is what I think of as the REAL Castle Grayskull.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

I love the vintage inspiration, personally, and am completely thrilled about the announcement.

The need to meet sub like minimum numbers worries me, but I am hopeful the forthcoming horseman blueprint will bring just about all of us on board.

Put me down for 1, definitely, and possibly 2 if we are short of the min as we approach the preorder end date.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    I agree ... nothing beats the vintage castle and the early mini-comics

http://www.he-man.org/assets/images/...y/091_full.jpg
    http://www.he-man.org/assets/images/...y/201_full.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post

Couldn't agree more, guys.

Vintage Castle Grayskull, FTW!!!
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Max there ain't no better face than this for MOTUC Castle Grayskull!

The Mark Taylor prototype is fantastic...I love all those other little details in the prototype. But it just dosen't cut it when it comes to the face of grayskull. Not all kids had the vintage Castle Grayskull play set....not everyone was that lucky, some were not even lucky enough to get the toys or the mini comics. But anyone could watch the catoon, which we should not forget IS what took the brand global. The look of Filmation Grayskull is what instantly resinates with fans world over...more so than the vintage toy IMO. But to do a straight up Filmation Grayskull (regardless of how much I would want it personally) would also be wrong.

I believe this is one occasion where Mattel should not be pandering to one specific group of fans like the savage cannon fans or Filmation fans, they are just shooting them selves in the foot by doing this....they need to pander to all of us and give fans a Castle Grayskull with a facial likeness that the largest number of fans can relate to / identify with and want to buy. I am willing and able to pre-order a Grayskull, but if Mattel / the 4H go with that overbite and weird teeth on Mark Taylor's design I will not pre-order and I bet many other Filmation fans will take the same position It's too far removed from the Filmation look...

I know this is just my oppinion, but if on the other hand if Mattel want to get enough pre orders for MOTUC Castle Grayskull to be green lit, they are going have to make it in such a way that it appeals to the largest number of fans possible. Basing the facial likeness of MOTUC Grayskull on a prototype that no one played with or had as a kid or saw on the TV is not the smartest way to get the maximim amount of fans to pre-order at such a high price. The Mark Taylor prototye face and Filmation looks are at oppisite ends of the scale, going too far towards one end or the scale or the other is going to turn fans of the other individual look away from pre-ordering Castle Grayskull and then we will all miss out!

A middle ground approach like the classic toy box art would be the best way to ensure Mattel get the maximum amount of support from fans and would hopefully ensure the highest level of pre-orders are locked in hopes of making sure Castle Grayskull actually happens. We are all going to have to really support the Grayskull Pre-Order if we want a Castle Grayskull for MOTUC. Giving the castle's facial features a truly recognisable and iconic look like the vintage toy box art is gonna be the ticket that will garner the maximum amount of support from fans across the board, and surely that is the most important thing...trying to make sure that Castle Grayskull actually gets made.

FTW
    Last edited by Angel-T; September 23, 2012 at 10:14pm.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    Max there ain't no better face than this for MOTUC Castle Grayskull!

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...psc2fc56d1.jpg

The Mark Taylor prototype is fantastic...I love all those other little details in the prototype. But it just dosen't cut it when it comes to the face of grayskull. Not all kids had the vintage Castle Grayskull play set....not everyone was that lucky, some were not even lucky enough to get the toys or the mini comics. But anyone could watch the catoon, which we should not forget IS what took the brand global. The look of Filmation Grayskull is what instantly resinates with fans world over...more so than the vintage toy IMO. But to do a straight up Filmation Grayskull (regardless of how much I would want it personally) would also be wrong.

I believe this is one occasion where Mattel should not be pandering to one specific group of fans like the savage cannon fans or Filmation fans, they are just shooting them selves in the foot by doing this....they need to pander to all of us and give fans a Castle Grayskull with a facial likeness that the largest number of fans can relate to / identify with and want to buy. I am willing and able to pre-order a Grayskull, but if Mattel / the 4H go with that overbite and weird teeth on Mark Taylor's design I will not pre-order and I bet many other Filmation fans will take the same position It's too far removed from the Filmation look...

I know this is just my oppinion, but if on the other hand if Mattel want to get enough pre orders for MOTUC Castle Grayskull to be green lit, they are going have to make it in such a way that it appeals to the largest number of fans possible. Basing the facial likeness of MOTUC Grayskull on a prototype that no one played with or had as a kid or saw on the TV is not the smartest way to get the maximim amount of fans to pre-order at such a high price. The Mark Taylor prototye face and Filmation looks are at oppisite ends of the scale, going too far towards one end or the scale or the other is going to turn fans of the other individual look away from pre-ordering Castle Grayskull and then we will all miss out!

A middle ground approach like the classic toy box art would be the best way to ensure Mattel get the maximum amount of support from fans and would hopefully ensure the highest level of pre-orders are locked in hopes of making sure Castle Grayskull actually happens. We are all going to have to really support the Grayskull Pre-Order if we want a Castle Grayskull for MOTUC. Giving the castle's facial features a truly recognisable and iconic look like the vintage toy box art is gonna be the ticket that will garner the maximum amount of support from fans across the board, and surely that is the most important thing...trying to make sure that Castle Grayskull actually gets made.

FTW
    http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps9820d862.jpg
    Agreed completely - absolutely.

The box art version is the best of all worlds, IMO. Filmation enough for Filmation fans, vintage fans should love it. But the original prototype was changed for a reason - it just doesn't look terribly good. I know people get excited about some concept stuff, but really - it was refined before release for a reason.

Heroic Photog Supporter musclor's Avatar
    Honestly, I'm bummed that it is only going to have two sides when tg previously said if they did the castle that they would do it right. With a year to save, I would have definitely paid double for a full castle.

As far as design elements go, I am really hoping it stays close to the box art/alcala look. I think that's the look most people saw first and therefore the most iconic.
    Photog is here! thank you, Mattel!

Now how about some mini-comics love (like Lodar, Geldor, Dakon......)? And Mermista?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    Agreed completely - absolutely.

The box art version is the best of all worlds, IMO. Filmation enough for Filmation fans, vintage fans should love it. But the original prototype was changed for a reason - it just doesn't look terribly good. I know people get excited about some concept stuff, but really - it was refined before release for a reason.
    This. 100% this.

The vintage box art is what hooked me into MOTU without a doubt. I LOVED that box. I would LOVE for it to resemble that as closely as possible.

Rule one: Castle grayskull should be SCARY. It should be intimidating. The prototype/minicomic... is kind of GOOFY, and that's NOT the image we want to go for

Regardless... as much as I love pre-filmation's minis... I HAVE to say THIS

castle-grayskull-he-man.jpg

is MUCH more 'iconic'... than THIS

091_full.jpg

But really... To me (at least the 'face') of Filmation... looks like Boxart from head on. They're REALLY close enough to make everyone happy

I'm AMAZED how at every ren fair/Halloween/toy store that my nephew holds a sword up, SOME random passerbyer says "I have the POWER!"

That's PURE filmation

I can't wait to see the box art!

Oh Castle Grayskull....

I remember getting this for Christmas and it FREAKING me out! I also got MAA.

That being siad...VINTAGE all the way!

Filmation or Vintage, I'm pretty sure the 4HM will do it right, and blow our minds with it! I'll be ordering two, and I just can't wait to see it materializing by the end of next year.
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

All this discussion for something that probably wont happen. Same hoax as before, remember 'if we sell only half the subs of 2012 for 2013 that we are good'.

A couple of months lather came the crying and the save the line, buy subs because the fans are killing it.

I can predict how this is gonna be for the preorders of cg. We've been nagging for years for one and we got the possibility now but the sale bar is set so high that it's gonna be hard.

It's a win win for mattel. Give the naggers a preorder. If they get their numbers then they produce it and make money (we also win because we finaly got what we wanted).
    If they don't then blame the fans for a lack of interest and we will be the big loosers then.

No CG and Mattel can say, we were wright about this all along, there isn't demand enough.
    I have the real power!

My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/orkothewizard?feature=mhee

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I think a Castle Grayskull like the vintage box art would be best, like Joe Amaro's custom:

...or something similar to Icon Heroes' statue version:

The original prototype of Castle Grayskull looks a tad... dilapidated. It looks like it could cave in at any moment, like a haunted house that wasn't taken care of. I would like to own a Castle Grayskull that is even and not slanted and asymmetrical.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by musclor View Post
    Honestly, I'm bummed that it is only going to have two sides when tg previously said if they did the castle that they would do it right. With a year to save, I would have definitely paid double for a full castle.

As far as design elements go, I am really hoping it stays close to the box art/alcala look. I think that's the look most people saw first and therefore the most iconic.
    Maybe you would and I would, but people are possibly passing at $200, the problem is getting enough to make it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by orkothewizard View Post
    All this discussion for something that probably wont happen. Same hoax as before, remember 'if we sell only half the subs of 2012 for 2013 that we are good'.

A couple of months lather came the crying and the save the line, buy subs because the fans are killing it.

I can predict how this is gonna be for the preorders of cg. We've been nagging for years for one and we got the possibility now but the sale bar is set so high that it's gonna be hard.

It's a win win for mattel. Give the naggers a preorder. If they get their numbers then they produce it and make money (we also win because we finaly got what we wanted).
    If they don't then blame the fans for a lack of interest and we will be the big loosers then.

No CG and Mattel can say, we were wright about this all along, there isn't demand enough.
    But you do realize to sculpt and tool this it is going to be super expensive, plus there will be absolutely no reuse I can see for these tools? They can't just make it and lose a fortune on it because they can't sell enough units to make money. And that is the goal of Mattel to make money, not just break even "for the fans" or take a loss because it's the "right thing for the fans". If there is enough pre-orders it will go through, and I hope it does, because it will be epic! Just look at your Wind Raider and think of all the awesome sculpted details on that and imagine those type details on a Grayskull, man I'm smiling just thinking about it But I do think it will be very difficult to get the same number of pre-orders as subscriptions, but what do I know?

Heroic Warrior Ben Solstice-Moon's Avatar
    I'm in! Sweet Goddess, it's ABOUT TIME!!! As soon as the pre-order screen is up, Benjamin Solstice-Moon is all over that item!

...then, the pre-order in 2013 for 2014 will be Snake Mountain, right? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    But you do realize to sculpt and tool this it is going to be super expensive, plus there will be absolutely no reuse I can see for these tools?...
    I don't know how possible it would be, but depending on the sculpting foresight, with a little modding and a white paint deco, they could maybe do a limited (con?) Preternia/King Grayskull era Castle Grayskull.

I agree with some who have said that the box art is a great way to go. It reminds me of the toy and the show, and to me the face on it looks better than either. I don't love the soggy gums of the prototype/early comics and the pair of back teeth on some of the many Filmation backgrounds always looked really fat and low-set rather than scary.

I like some of the details on the Taylor prototype that may have been cut due to costs or safety issues. The orb on top is something I find nifty, even if I don't consider it essential. Including the orb(maybe even a removable one?) would be a fun nod to the concept piece while sculpting some vines on the rocks at the castle's bottom would be a nice Filmation detail

As cool looking as that business card is, and I do love it, I only think it works for that piece. It kind of looks like it takes the worm's-eye view of the Castle from the transformation sequence and translates it to a straight on view while most just changing the perspective of the door. I find it very interesting and cool to capture that look, but it doesn't work for me personally as the face of a fully rendered Grayskull with a circle of teeth jutting outward like a lamprey. It didn't look quite like that to me in any of the wide shots.

So, yeah. It's box art for me, but I'd love to see it done in a way that can include key elements that make everyone happy. I'd be sad if it didn't remind me of the toy at all, since just about everyone I knew had the toy as the center of our adventures, often for years after the show wasn't on TV any more. Nobody in my neighborhood had cable and it was a treat when the He-Man channel got good antenna reception! I'm not saying I need an upscaled vintage replica, I just hope that bit of magic I felt isn't lost entirely as they push the design past what was possible back then.

AND ONE MORE THING! A bonus special effects piece that can plug into the castle to look like streams of magic and lightning are hovering above the door? You know, so you can place He-Man there holding his sword up to the center? THAT would be pretty nice. That sort of effect attaching only to the sword itself would have to be pretty small so he wouldn't topple over.

Maybe you would and I would, but people are possibly passing at $200, the problem is getting enough to make it at all.

But you do realize to sculpt and tool this it is going to be super expensive, plus there will be absolutely no reuse I can see for these tools? They can't just make it and lose a fortune on it because they can't sell enough units to make money. And that is the goal of Mattel to make money, not just break even "for the fans" or take a loss because it's the "right thing for the fans". If there is enough pre-orders it will go through, and I hope it does, because it will be epic! Just look at your Wind Raider and think of all the awesome sculpted details on that and imagine those type details on a Grayskull, man I'm smiling just thinking about it But I do think it will be very difficult to get the same number of pre-orders as subscriptions, but what do I know?
    I agree to have preorders and understand mattel needs to make profit but they could do it differently.

If they ask 300 dollars for one cg then you need a third less preorders only to give an example.
    Say preorders end with 70 procent and it doesn't get made, knowing it could have been made if mattel asked 200-300 dollars.
    It's a hard nut to crack but I really hope we have an awesome cg next year

I know nothing either
    I have the real power!

My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/orkothewizard?feature=mhee

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    That's what the preorder is for: to see how many people would be interested. They wouldn't be taking any risk by simply opening up preorders for a $300-$400 full castle. I know I would be totally interested and superexcited in a full castle (Icon Heroes at Classics scale) and wouldn't mind the price tag if done right. And I do know I am not interested at all in dropping $200 for a lame half-castle clamshell; we already have the vintage and 200X castles for that at a much lower price point.

Mattel are probably going to lose many potential customers, who would be more than willing to pay more for a truly awesome full castle, by not doing the castle right. I'd much rather pay $120 for the amazing Icon Heroes statue and use it as a blueprint for a custom Classics-sized full castle (3D-scan it, upscale it, tweak around a few details such as removing the anatomically-odd middle tooth and smoothing the brow ridge out into a more organic look, slice it into four snappable-together pieces, add a Filmation-inspired interior, and 3D-print it out).
    Last edited by uaxuctum; September 24, 2012 at 05:56am.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Heroic Warrior
    It might be kind of cool to have some kind of place for Castle Grayskull Man to be placed. Like a molded in alcove or something as to make him look like part of the Castle. Then you could "POP" him out when needed.