Page 61 of 183 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 4573

Thread: MOTUC Castle Grayskull Discussion Thread

  1. #1501
    Court Magician
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    55
    What is the size difference between this the 80s and 200x?

  2. #1502
    Heroic Warrior Agent Gibbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”

    -Abraham Lincoln
    "the problem with quote on the internet is that its hard to verify their authenticity

    -Abraham Lincoln


    you post remaindered me of that viral image, so i reposted to lighten the mood

    Also you quote is so unbelievably apt

  3. #1503
    Grew up on a horse Baena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,700
    Quote Originally Posted by goatboy413 View Post
    What is the size difference between this the 80s and 200x?
    The original castle was all of 18" tall.

    The 200X castle was taller, not sure how much, maybe two-three inches taller, but it's a different design, the proportions are way different when you look at skull to door to top ratios.

    The new castle will be around 24"-25" tall without the minarette thing at the top.
    And it's more or less based on the vintage so it's scaling up from 18" to 24-25".

    The door on the vintage castle is right around 7" tall, maybe a little less? I'm not 100% sure.
    The new door will be 9.5" tall.

    Can't wait to see this foam mockup video! Anyone hear if/when that is supposed to go up?
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

  4. #1504
    Alcala Idolator Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,661
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    Some of you guys will never get this concept. You simply do not understand the difference between people who obsess over this stuff and the other 99.99% of the world.
    It's mainly because of Filmation that 99.99% of the world doesn't take He-Man seriously and passes him of as a ridiculous camp.

    Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    I know a few of you sat and studied the tiny little picture on card art of the original few characters and obsessed over it, or took the first few minicomics and prayed to them nightly, but truth is - most kids who got these toys couldn't even read yet - I didn't know a single person growing up who gave the comics much look. We were too busy watching the show with every other kid in America.
    In America maybe. Here in Europe nearly all the merchandise was based on the toys, the comics and the licence guide. And yes, my parents read those comics to me (well, translated of course) and those are the images I remember, not the cartoon.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

    http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

  5. #1505
    Master of Physics VZX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,851
    I'm pretty sure the 200x CG is 21" high. But it is a different design, like Baena said, so it's not a great comparison. This new CG is going to look much bigger when its finished. The width and depth are a lot bigger, there is so much more plastic than the other two! I can't wait for the Pixel Dan "Comparison Time" to see the three versions of CG next to each other.

    Edit: I can't wait until the VZX "Comparison Time" so I can put my original CG, 200x CG, and the Classics CG next to each other!!! The Classics Castle Grayskull MUST get made!!!
    Last edited by VZX; October 17, 2012 at 11:39am.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

  6. #1506
    NA mini-sub Supporter ! Arkangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    3,751
    This has probably been asked, but are there any hints of space suit man being included ?

  7. #1507
    Grew up on a horse Baena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,700
    The only problem I have with EC's Filmation argument, isn't the matter of opinion. It's the 99.9% quote.

    Nice made up number there...

    Here's another one for you. 100% of the toy success lead to the cartoon even being made.

    I'm done.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

  8. #1508
    Court Magician Maker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    In the shadow of The Lonely Mountain
    Posts
    35
    grayskull.jpg

    Loving all these pictures! The spire shows up in a lot of the Golden Books.

  9. #1509
    Hordak! Put me in MOTUC! Barbecue17's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Shelby, NC
    Posts
    1,914
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    Thanks, but you don't have to keep wasting your time, it's not going to make you correct.

    Some of you guys will never get this concept. You simply do not understand the difference between people who obsess over this stuff and the other 99.99% of the world.

    And what is hilarious is that you are not listening to me, either. I am not saying they should make it more Filmation on the outside. However, yes, MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of kids watched the TV show intently every day. THEY THREW FIGURE CARD BACK PACKAGING OUT.

    The current version looks like the toy box and the toy itself, which also was in many hundreds of thousands if not millions of homes.

    I know a few of you sat and studied the tiny little picture on card art of the original few characters and obsessed over it, or took the first few minicomics and prayed to them nightly, but truth is - most kids who got these toys couldn't even read yet - I didn't know a single person growing up who gave the comics much look. We were too busy watching the show with every other kid in America.

    But...this will again go over your heads and you will post more obscure stuff that only obsessed internet fans remember, for no reason at all other than to continue to prove my point but have no idea what my point is because your mind just cannot get around the fact that yes, every one of those pictures was obscure, was not something a "normal" person would remember, and dwarfs in comparison to both Filmation and the actual toy that was released. They are ICONIC, to a GENERATION - not little bits that were thrown out by most families as trash and was only at the beginning of the line to boot.

    - - - Updated - - -



    You aren't even posting pictures of the ugly prototype version.

    Does it have the little dunce cap dot on the top? Do any of them have the grossly elongated face?

    No they do not.

    It looks like the toy box art of the released Castle.

    Which is what I have been saying this should look like, what it DOES look like - yet you guys are picking an argument.

    You will never get it...
    Regardless of all the points made as to which look should be made, MOTUC is pretty much a toy line directed at obsessed internet fans. I'm sure lots of people recognize Castle Grayskull from the Filmation cartoon, but I doubt there is a huge demographic of "unobsessed non-internet using fans" waiting to buy a $250 dollar plastic castle that has a complicated preroder system, is only available on one website, isn't a sure thing, and won't be available for over a year. I think Mattel is definitely marketing to the "obsessed" crowd.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

    "We have a Ram-Man"

  10. #1510
    Court Magician
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    55
    Thanks for the replies. I'm really wanting to preorder but was wondering if the scale will be good.

  11. #1511
    Heroic Warrior wundarwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Eaton OH
    Posts
    1,459
    I personally don't care which design they use. IMO Grayskull can essentially be altered and still be recognizable to most people. It needs to be green andhave a huge skull on the front. I just hope it turns out nicely.

  12. #1512
    Evil Warrior jibernish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    845
    We have to hit the top of the thermometer, right, not the red arrow that says "goal" right next to it? I think a logical person could come to either conclusion.

  13. #1513
    #1 Extendar Fan! JonWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    13,353
    Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    We have to hit the top of the thermometer, right, not the red arrow that says "goal" right next to it? I think a logical person could come to either conclusion.
    I think we have to pass the tick mark that the arrow is sort of pointing too. Not terribly scientific, I know.

  14. #1514
    Grew up on a horse Baena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,700
    Quote Originally Posted by goatboy413 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I'm really wanting to preorder but was wondering if the scale will be good.
    There are rumblings of Scott putting together a video showing a foam mockup to show the size. Can't wait to see that! I could be wrong but Zombiehamma said the scale is comparable to his facade that he made. (check it out!) https://www.facebook.com/TheCastleOfPower

    I'm guessing his is slightly bigger still than what Mattel is doing? But maybe not? Scott said the old one would go to it's eye sockets. That appears to be the same for Zombiehamma's piece?
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

  15. #1515
    Evil Warrior jibernish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    845
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I think we have to pass the tick mark that the arrow is sort of pointing too. Not terribly scientific, I know.
    That was my first thought, but the arrow points to the tower, not the 'glass' part of the thermometer. Is it that hard to be conclusive? Couldn't they just put a line on the 'glass' part like everyone else does? It's kinda funny to me actually.

  16. #1516
    Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,764
    Do you guys think Castle Grayskull will be the colour of the Grayskull stands in MOTUC? That would allow for us to create some sort of ruins around the Castle, which would be neat.

    I like how the Castle currently looks from the schematics. The only things I would like to see: slightly longer front teeth, the door in green (like the original toy and Filmation) and have some Filmation stuff on the inside, like the Sorceress' viewing window thing and her throne. The Filmation throne is pretty creepy!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

    http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

    You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

    https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

  17. #1517
    Fighting Foe Fan Whiplash7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,855
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    I know a few of you sat and studied the tiny little picture on card art of the original few characters and obsessed over it, or took the first few minicomics and prayed to them nightly, but truth is - most kids who got these toys couldn't even read yet - I didn't know a single person growing up who gave the comics much look. We were too busy watching the show with every other kid in America.
    Wow! So hostile and insulting. Good grief
    To insinuate that children didn't read (or couldn't ), and were a bunch of couch potatos--and that those who enjoyed reading weren't 'normal'--is ridiculous. Your "I only watched tv" experience can't be generalized to the entire fan population, who had books and comics as well as toys and actually enjoyed them.

    Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    But...this will again go over your heads and you will post more obscure stuff that only obsessed internet fans remember, for no reason at all other than to continue to prove my point but have no idea what my point is because your mind just cannot get around the fact that yes, every one of those pictures was obscure, was not something a "normal" person would remember, and dwarfs in comparison to both Filmation and the actual toy that was released. They are ICONIC, to a GENERATION - not little bits that were thrown out by most families as trash and was only at the beginning of the line to boot.
    Alfredo Alcala's work is also iconic, to even try and insinuate that it isn't is, again, preposterous. The end.
    Obsessed internet fans? What are you, or any other filmation fan on here? You've been throwing around a certain number, but you do realize that 99.99% of people also don't care about that cartoon at all, haven't watched it since it's heyday, could tell you very little about it, and would cringe if they watched it now...right? Just like with every other cartoon that was ever made.

    Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    You aren't even posting pictures of the ugly prototype version.

    Does it have the little dunce cap dot on the top? Do any of them have the grossly elongated face?

    No they do not.

    It looks like the toy box art of the released Castle.

    Which is what I have been saying this should look like, what it DOES look like - yet you guys are picking an argument.

    You will never get it...
    I posted pictures of the same design of the cross-sell castle--which you said no 'normal' person had ever seen--yet it was on most merchandise. Now you are claiming something completely different. But by all means, keep moving the goalposts in your neverending quest to bash on motu and its concepts.
    I'm done.

  18. #1518
    Awesome Warrior Alexx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The big 'ol mitten
    Posts
    6,055
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    I know a few of you sat and studied the tiny little picture on card art of the original few characters and obsessed over it, or took the first few minicomics and prayed to them nightly, but truth is - most kids who got these toys couldn't even read yet - I didn't know a single person growing up who gave the comics much look. We were too busy watching the show with every other kid in America.
    I know this argument is going in a few directions, and I'm not butting in to say that my opinion is the most popular or anything, BUT: I was one of those kids that got the minicomics when I couldn't read yet. Born in 83, so pretty much all the He-Man stuff was chew fodder or absolutely insane battles - BASED on the minicomics. I loved those things; I can't remember anyone reading them to me, but it's possible. Mostly I remember those pictures. They're kinda burned in my brain, ya know? I used to flip through those things all the time. The most I remember from the cartoon are sounds, some motions, Skeletor laughing, and this one episode where a robot He-Man's face fell off and revealed a robotic skeleton face underneath (I didn't understand it back then so it scared the CRAP outa me).

    I don't know why the cartoon didn't stick with me like it did with most others...perhaps it was all the flash and bang. I remember colors and sounds, but I don't remember plots and characterizations (probably was too young). The minicomics though...I kept flipping through those long after the cartoon had ended. I used them to formulate my stories when I stopped chewing on the poor figures, and the images in there are the most nostalgic thing for me (beside the old books that came with cassette tapes).

    I'm not saying you're wrong and I totally understand how the cartoon formed a generation of kids, but I think this castle is a fantastic representation of the classic look of the toy and how it was portrayed in just about any media beside the toon; at least, from anything I can bring up from memory. It resonates with me pretty deeply. I guess what I'm saying is that just because this show came around before I could read; it doesn't mean that the cartoon was the first and foremost representation of He-Man for me. I can't say if I'm in a super minority, but I'm sure I'm not alone.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

    Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

  19. #1519
    Heroic Warrior vid.tracey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    481
    Stay calm and order castle grayskull.
    Making sure the vintage line is fully reproduced in the classics line

    Positive trades; Nightcraw

  20. #1520
    Heroic Warrior Matthew L. Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    415
    My own request for the castle to be 'as many things to as many people as possible' would be to make the battle ledge on the outer tower removable, if possible. Aside from the minaret, it's the one major difference from the licensing image, and it breaks up the symmetry.

    (Got the Castle with Skeletor and Man-at-Arms for Christmas in 1983; first exposure to the cartoon was January 1984. Only major US stuff I missed in my pre-Internet fandom was the first four mini-comics. As far as I'm concerned, the toy is Grayskull first and foremost; Filmation and prototype touches are nice but not essential.)

  21. #1521
    Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    LOS ANGELES
    Posts
    1,567
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    In America maybe. Here in Europe nearly all the merchandise was based on the toys, the comics and the licence guide. And yes, my parents read those comics to me (well, translated of course) and those are the images I remember, not the cartoon.
    I have to disagree. I grew up in France and the UK and Filmation was the definite Canon. Every kid screamed 'by the power of grayskull' in recess while playing He-man! While some of the design had some legs, even as a kid, I disregarded those comics which looked wretchedly executed in comparison to Marvel Comics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

  22. #1522
    Alcala Idolator Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,661
    Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    Every kid screamed 'by the power of grayskull' in recess while playing He-man!


    ... your point being ?
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

    http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

  23. #1523
    Working for The Man Saved's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Louisville/Ft Knox, KY
    Posts
    904
    Quote Originally Posted by vid.tracey View Post
    Stay calm and order castle grayskull.


    "Nuff said"
    Jii Dee regarding Matty's view on MOTUC Collectors: "Here be whiny surrender monkey dragons".

    MOTUC NEEDS: Tung Lashor, Rio Blast, Sssqueeze, Dragstor, Saurod & Lord Masque.

  24. #1524
    Alcala Idolator Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    I was one of those kids that got the minicomics when I couldn't read yet. Born in 83, so pretty much all the He-Man stuff was chew fodder or absolutely insane battles - BASED on the minicomics. I loved those things; I can't remember anyone reading them to me, but it's possible. Mostly I remember those pictures. They're kinda burned in my brain, ya know? I used to flip through those things all the time. The most I remember from the cartoon are sounds, some motions, Skeletor laughing, and this one episode where a robot He-Man's face fell off and revealed a robotic skeleton face underneath (I didn't understand it back then so it scared the CRAP outa me).

    I don't know why the cartoon didn't stick with me like it did with most others...perhaps it was all the flash and bang. I remember colors and sounds, but I don't remember plots and characterizations (probably was too young). The minicomics though...I kept flipping through those long after the cartoon had ended. I used them to formulate my stories when I stopped chewing on the poor figures, and the images in there are the most nostalgic thing for me (beside the old books that came with cassette tapes).
    Same here !!! Those images are engraved in my mind and nothing else MOTU related can equal that sentiment ... besides maybe the Dutch audio-play "Sterrenstof" ("Stardust"). Very powerful memories.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

    http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

  25. #1525
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    2,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    It was in the comics, but I think the majority probably would have learned that line from the cartoons. The cartoons are the reason why that line is still well-known today, being used in films and television shows.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •