View Poll Results: Skeletor's Voice (not Keldor's): "Deeper-Pitch" Vs. "Higher-Pitch"?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Deeper-pitch

24 34.29%
  • Higher-pitch (Classic Filmation/MYP)

34 48.57%
  • I don't think this is a signifacant attribute to his character, and therefore either is fine.

8 11.43%
  • I don't care either way....

4 5.71%

Thread: Skeletor's Voice (not Keldor's): "Deeper-Pitch" Vs. "Higher-Pitch"

Skeletor's Voice (not Keldor's): "Deeper-Pitch" Vs. "Higher-Pitch"

In the new He-Man film, should Skeletor (not Keldor) have his classic "higher-pitched" Filmation/MYP-like voice?
    ...Or should he have the more typical monster/villain "deeper-pitched" voice?

I'd say Skeletor should definitely have a ****er-pitched voice in the new film!
    – No comment.

Co-Creator of the NV
    I went with deeper. He should sound imposing and dangerous, not humorous and/or irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    I went with deeper. He should sound imposing and dangerous, not humorous and/or irritating.
    That's cool. But, I honestly think he could pull off all four of those characteristics, even with the higher-pitched voice, something more like MYP's comes to mind. Guess we'll have to wait and see (or hear rather.)
    – No comment.

let it be filmation

I went with higher. Skeletor's voice from the origional Filmation cartoons has got to be one of the greatest ever. It would be nice if in the new movie, skeletor's voice was similar (or the same if possible, Like Optimus Prime in the Transformers movies) Heck I would love to see as many former voice actors as possible used. But hey, thats just my opinion!
    Bring on the Snake Armor!

So long as it's threatening I'm fine. MYP did a good job IMO with giving him a nasally sound like the filmation but with a good air of menace, conversely I LOVE langella's Skeletor portrayal as well.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    No offense to anybody who's ever done Skeletor's voice, but I've never heard one that comes close to how I imagine it sounding. For me it would have this very unearthly quality that sends chills down the spine. I imagine it being deep and raspy and menacing. It should sound like it is coming from a tomb.

I think the move Ghost Rider came pretty close actually.

Alan Oppenheimer's voice was great for "funny villain Skeletor". And don't get me wrong, I think he could probably *do* the voice I am imagining, having heard his Batttle Cat and Man-At-Arms, especially with some technological assistance. But the voice he gave Skeletor just doesn't sound like what I always imagined him sounding like.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Don't let worry kill you, let the Church help"

Eternian Historian of Art Lex_Alfa's Avatar
    Frank Langella's was great!!
    Behold the gaseous stench of Skeletor's breakfast burrito!
    Robot Chicken dixit

Court Magician Raider of Shadows's Avatar
    I feel classic Skeletor style higher pitched voice would be the better choice. MYP showed they can make him threatening. Although a lower deeper pitched voice could also work, conceivably.
    -Finding Nemo Auditions-
    Hordak of Despondos reading for the part of Dori the Fish, Take 1:

*AHEM* I shall call him squishy and he...will be MINE!

Both would be just fine for me. But then again a deeper pitch from the cartoon would be cool.
    By the Power of Grey Skull!

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    After re-watching the Lord of the Rings movies, I had a jones for Christopher Lee or somebody like that as the possible voice actor. Imagine a deep baritone like Lee's rumbling out "You have disappointed me for the last time, Beast Man."
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Don't let worry kill you, let the Church help"

As long as the guy can act. I LOVED Langella's skeletor, but to go a bit nasally (and as someone who I think would make a great skeletor) Bill Nighy, his davy jones voice was a bit higer pitched, take away the accent he used as jones but add in that pitch, he'd be great. (I also think Ralph Fienes would make an excellent lord of destruction.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    As long as the guy can act. I LOVED Langella's skeletor, but to go a bit nasally (and as someone who I think would make a great skeletor) Bill Nighy, his davy jones voice was a bit higer pitched, take away the accent he used as jones but add in that pitch, he'd be great. (I also think Ralph Fienes would make an excellent lord of destruction.
    You know I gotta kinda agree here, since I just watched the '87 film yesterday, and I gotta admit that by far, Langella's performance was the best part of that film. The score was actually pretty great too, very '80's Superman films-like; as was some of the concept art and costume designs used in the film (...then again, some were not so great.)
    – No comment.

Heroic Warrior
    If you really just looked at a picture of movie skeletor - He looks more like hordak- the teeth and the nose do it for me.

Skeletor should have a high pitched voice because its a mind game. Very Jokeresque cant take him seriously but everytime he does something he doesnt hold back.

Skeletor is one of those people who will resort to " If I can't have this then no one else will." attitude and I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    If you really just looked at a picture of movie skeletor - He looks more like hordak- the teeth and the nose do it for me.

Skeletor should have a high pitched voice because its a mind game. Very Jokeresque cant take him seriously but everytime he does something he doesnt hold back.

Skeletor is one of those people who will resort to " If I can't have this then no one else will." attitude and I like that.
    I'll agree with that.
    – No comment.

I voted for the deeper voice, but I have to admit I was using his higher/nasal voice when I was reading a He-Man story to my cousins about a week ago. Still, it was awesome because they'd never seen or heard of He-Man until that day.

Honestly though, I did love Langella's performance, but I haven't seen a performance of his that I didn't like. I saw him on Broadway back in 2002 and he was amazing. With that in mind; if you're judging on voice alone, I've always thought the best Skeletor performance was the actor for the "Power of Point Dread/Danger at Castle Grayskull." Especially when I'm reading a story with Alcala art in it, I've got that voice in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by wallbie View Post
    I voted for the deeper voice, but I have to admit I was using his higher/nasal voice when I was reading a He-Man story to my cousins about a week ago. Still, it was awesome because they'd never seen or heard of He-Man until that day.

Honestly though, I did love Langella's performance, but I haven't seen a performance of his that I didn't like. I saw him on Broadway back in 2002 and he was amazing. With that in mind; if you're judging on voice alone, I've always thought the best Skeletor performance was the actor for the "Power of Point Dread/Danger at Castle Grayskull." Especially when I'm reading a story with Alcala art in it, I've got that voice in my mind.
    I don't ever recall hearing that. Do you know of anywhere on the net I could find it to give it a listen?
    – No comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Neutro View Post
    I don't ever recall hearing that. Do you know of anywhere on the net I could find it to give it a listen?
    Wish I honestly knew. I don't even know where my record is, and I'd have to see about transferring it to a sound file. If I could get my hands on it, I'd be honored to share it.

Absolutely higher pitch!

Higher-Pitch like the original.
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...

Snappy Threader
    I'm going with higher pitch.

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    Well.. I think Dolph Lungren should play Skeletor in custume and/or voice.

..(he's a bit low. Baratone/Bass, like me )

i think he should just speak like a real person.

the high pitched thing works in the context of the cartoon. although, in 200x, keldor did not look at all like he would have a high pitched voice. frank langella set the precedence for how skeletor's voice can be done in a normal way. with a bit of cadence maybe, but not full blown high pitched or nasally. i don't think the actor should go that route, it would be unnecessarily silly.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS
    .:*~*:Thank You, Lou Scheimer...and Good Journey:*~*:.
    ...For Every Destination is but a Doorway to Another...
    The Time Has Come for Crackers The Clown and Chef Allen in MOTUC!

voted dont care because much like langella i just want the actor to use their own voice. let it sound like how the actor chooses to portray it. our opionions are irrelevant about voice.