View Poll Results: Who would win in a battle between Stratos and Mer-Man?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stratos

48 38.40%
  • Mer-Man

77 61.60%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOTUC showdown: Stratos vs. Mer-Man

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

MOTUC showdown: Stratos vs. Mer-Man

Okay, so we've already debated who would win in a battle between Stratos and Beast Man.

Well, I hate to re-use a character so soon, but we're a bit limited on MOTUC Heroic Warriors at the moment...
    So lets pitch the lord of the air versus the lord of the ocean - STRATOS vs. MER-MAN.

Lets look at the brief stats:
    STRATOS - has the ability to fly (obviously), a noble leader of the Birdmen, does not carry a weapon
    MER-MAN - has command over sea creatures, has been shown to be cold hearted, carries a sword and trident

We'll use their MOTUC 'versions' (ie. bios, etc,), and for sake of argument they are only armed with any weapons the MOTUC figure comes with - hence no "xxx pulls out a laser gun!"

And please remember, this is a battle scenario, not voting for your favourite character.

LET BATTLE COMMENCE!
    Last edited by Spacedust; May 9, 2009 at 12:42pm.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

IMO it would be a draw, as soon as the other gets the upper hand one of them will retreat to either the sky or sea, Stratos can`t get wet if he does actually use his wings for flight and there no possible way for Merman to get into the air without mechanical help. I don`t see an out come to this battle and see it more of a skirmish

Merman summons his Flying fish!

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Stratos.

I can't decide on an outcome myself. I think Stratos getting wet may be his downfall, but if he soars high enough, Mer-Man won't be able to reach him anyway.
    Maybe Mer-Man will just wait for Stratos to get tired, as he surely can't fly all the time.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Wow, this is a tough one.

They're both skill hand to hand combatants.
    Merman has a sword & trident. He's probably got a tough hide to withstand the depths of the ocean.

Stratos obviously wouldn't follow Merman into the water.

They'd have to fight on land. If Stratos could get a hold of the slippery fish-man he could blast off & drop him. He'd have to get close to Merman without getting shanked.

If Merman could drag Stratos into the water, Stratos would be done.

I really wish they'd have given Stratos a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Power Sword View Post
    I really wish they'd have given Stratos a weapon.
    I always wished that too. As a kid, I used to give him the sword off the Castle Grayskull weapons rack.
    ~jay firestorm~

Mer-Man will win, easily.

For me, the evil warriors have to be a real threat, especially Skeletor's closest evil warriors. I can not see many of the heroic warriors having a good chance in a one-on-one battle with any of the main evil characters.

Heidi
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Recently moved to GA! Help! I need to know new people!
    Well... If a bird of prey grabs a fish, thier wings get wet but they could still fly afterwards, don't they!?! In fact, any bird that get's thier wings wet are still able to fly with no problem at all. It's not like he's Buzz-off or Garth!

I don't see Stratos' wings getting wet is a problem for him, since he's flying abilities is not from his wings anyway but from, depending on what cannon you follow, Egg of Avion or Staff of Avion that gives the Birdmen of Avion thier "Flight Magic"!

WHAT!?!

You guys forgot that the Bird People of Avion uses magic to fly?!? Shame on y'all!

I think it's gonna be a draw since both are masters of thier domain!
    By the Power... and For the Honor of GRAYSKULL!!!
    HE-MAN and SHE-RA Rules!!!

"Frustration is only felt when one realizes there is an option!"
    - Ancient One (BeastMaster: The Series; Fifth Element)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from MAGIC!
    - Clarke's Third Law

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    IMO it would be a draw, as soon as the other gets the upper hand one of them will retreat to either the sky or sea, Stratos can`t get wet if he does actually use his wings for flight and there no possible way for Merman to get into the air without mechanical help. I don`t see an out come to this battle and see it more of a skirmish
    I agree with you.
    Now available for commissions.

Subscribe to TMNT Redesign Challenge News,
    if you want to be update to every The Technodrome Redesign Challenge.

Check my customs at Figure Realm
    Deviantart - http://gomes31.deviantart.com/
    www.facebook.com/Ulisses31Omega
    www.facebook.com/PauloGomesArt
    If you cannot convince them, confuse them. - Harry S Truman

Quote Originally Posted by kai View Post

For me, the evil warriors have to be a real threat, especially Skeletor's closest evil warriors. I can not see many of the heroic warriors having a good chance in a one-on-one battle with any of the main evil characters.

Heidi
    Yeah i agree 100% Mer-man used to be King of the seas. Stratos does not have a weapon and i think is not as good at battle Strategy as the evil Warlord

Mer-man all the way

Stratos really needs a weapon!
    Last edited by Fisto69; May 20, 2009 at 06:48pm.

Collector of Toys 4 Life
    Merman would win, hands down. All it would take is for Stratos to get his fake wings wet, or his jet pack to run out of fuel (or get wet) and he'd be helpless. forget the egg of avion...I'd prefer flight to be a natural ability for the so-called 'birdpeople', just as swimming comes natural for merman.

it doesn't help that stratos has no weapon, while merman has two at his disposal. Stratos has never really been presented to have any degree of combat ability either...

Merman's like a shark...and sharks eat birds for breakfast (if they land in the water & can't fly out fast enough). He's got nasty sharp teeth & claws that could tear into poor Stratos & cause some serious bodily harm....stratos doesn't even have 'talons' to fight back with. some 'birdman'....

on land, Stratos might have the advantage, being able to fly... but once merman zapps him with his trident he'd be grounded & helpless. Then merman would 'clip' his wings. lol
    Lifelong fan of: MOTU, G.I.Joe, Transformers, most 'good' movies of any genre, Star Wars, oldies/classic rock & country music, WWE/WWF/WCW/NWA wrestling, old school circus sideshow performers & fictional movie 'creatures', my friends and family. oh, yes...and I love action figures!!!!!

Support MVCreations for MOTUC!!!!

I don't think Stratos needs a weapon to be formidable. Since he doesn't have one, I assumed he was an excellent hand-to-hand combatant, and that means that any weapon that an enemy has could easily end up on the ground in seconds, not to mention that the power of flight + fighting ability has to be pretty dangerous to tangle with.

In every media that I've seen Mer-Man in, he's been formidable, but cowardly. Well, not really cowardly, but a strategist. He's not going to go into something unless he's got the advantage. Tell ya the truth, Skeletor's command's probably screw up what would normally be a cunning warrior. He's usually thrust into situations he doesn't have much control over, and he can't really say "no" or else he's vaporized.

So, in a battle where both Stratos and Mer-Man are on equal grounds (whatever that situation may be) I'd say that Stratos would win. I imagine that his hand-to-hand fighting ability gives him the advantage of speed and, on equal grounds, he would probably disarm Mer-Man after a good fight and force him to retreat. The only way Mer-Man could force Stratos to retreat is to get a good number of hits on him to cause major wounds, and I just think Stratos be too fast for that to happen.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

That's a tough one, I'd say Mer-man because of his weapons, but as I see it, originally Mer-man sword can throw high pressured streams of icy water(which he use to bring down Strator in "the vengenge of Skeletor" minicomic) while Stratos can fire heat blasts from his hands, maybe from his wilst band or the right hand brass-knukle(which he use to kill the sea monster that was eating He-man in the same minicomic) so....I dunno!
    Danbrenus
    uomo libero e guerriero delle schiere Boiche

http://danbrenus.deviantart.com/
    My pre-Filmation minicomics:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=184385
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189337
    Of course I do commission, after all I have to live!
    Chiaramente accetto commissioni, dovr˛ pur campare...

Last edited by Whiplash7; March 8, 2013 at 11:55am.

Mer-man would beat Stratos

The only problem in this is that Mer-Man wasn't in battle with Stratos so he was caught by surprise. It's hard for me to decide who would win between these two. It would really depend on where the battle takes place. On land I would give it to Stratos. Anywhere by the sea I would think Stratos would retreat or have to accept defeat (which I find unlikely). If simulated 1000 times like Deadliest Warrior I would give it to Stratos.
    From far away you look like and idiot, but when I get close I'm sure!

Grisle's Feedback Thread
    Grisle's BST Thread

No fair... THAT battle was in the air, Stratos' home turf. If it had been in the water, it would have ended differently!

The question is, how about a FAIR fight on neutral territory?! Hmmm.... not entirely sure but.... after some thought ... (the envelope please...)

My money's on Mer-man ... extra points for stealth and sneakiness!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

Stratos does have a weapon...in the original mini-comics, he shoots energy out of his hands. Just like Mer-Man's sword shoots out an ice beam.

I think this match up is dependant on the battlefield. I gotta call tie on this one.

If it's out on the open sea or anywhere where there's water and Stratos has little room to fly (like an underground lake or watery cavern), Mer-Man has a strong advantage. Stratos' ability to fly and shoot energy would balance this out, until Mer-Man summoned summoning sea monsters who could possibly have some kind of ranged attack. And there are plenty of fish in the sea to call.

Likewise, if Mer-Man is in the mountains or anywhere where there is no water or sea monsters to summon, Stratos has a distinct advantage due to him being able to fly and shoot energy.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; August 24, 2009 at 10:02am.

I was gonna post that 2nd picture for "Owned" pt.2...when Stratos' was attacked there, his wings got heavy and he fell, so he plowed himself right into Mer Man. lol.
    Stratos is smart...and while Mer Man can fight, let's face it, he's a moron. Plus Stratos talks like Sean Connery, he can't lose.

Master of Gardening MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    My vote is for Mer-Man!
    CONGRATS to the 7 Lucky Winners of my
    FREE Club Etheria Sub Figure Giveaway!!!

Double Mischief = Minor
    Madame Razz = Uncle Jake
    Entrapta = SorceressSon
    October figure = SunDevil
    November figure = Ealo
    December figure = yodafreakmaster
    Light Hope SUB EXCLUSIVE = McLaughlin2778

For me Mer-man!

Mer-Man can walk around on the bottom of the ocean...the pressure he must withstand to do that would crush Stratos. Period. Mer-Man must therefore be immensely strong, much more so than Stratos.
    Mer-Man also can control various forms of sea life, including winged sea serpents, so although he himself cannot take to the sky, he is not helpless to attack there. Finally, Mer-Man has the advantage of weapons, whereas Stratos has none.

Mer-Man would win by a landslide.
    Last edited by Skeletortilla; September 11, 2009 at 04:21pm.

Heroic Classics Warrior Gerrit127's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post

Heidi
    I agree! The Heroic Warriors is always saved by He-man or someone else!
    I think this one goes to Mer-Man without a doubt!
    -= CAN WE EVER HAVE ENOUGH MOTU FIGURES? =-

NO WE CAN'T !!

despite the OP advising not to vote via favoritism, i think that's exactly what's happened here in many cases. stratos is a leader of his people. he's engaged in many battles. mer-man is more of a coward and relies on backup. if we're talking strictly hand to hand and whatever they have on them- stratos. if we're going to let mer-man fight dirty and start pulling out tricks like summoning sea creatures onto the land- then he might have a shot.

if i were voting for my favorite- mer-man (though that's a close call). but stratos wouldn't have risen to his position if he couldn't handle one fish-man.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS
    .:*~*:Thank You, Lou Scheimer...and Good Journey:*~*:.
    ...For Every Destination is but a Doorway to Another...
    The Time Has Come for Crackers The Clown and Chef Allen in MOTUC!